here is a very good page on expensive cables. check it out.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    Oh & I forgot, don't forget to pack your assless leather chaps! I've got to have some sort of entertainment while you are handling all of the equipment! That will be just the ticket!!!:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

oooohhhhhhh I just felt the dark side of the force pass.:eek:

Max I need a gazzillion watt tube amp, one of those MANLEY or whatever hidden treasure it is you have in that damm closet of yours and a ticket to Boston, I gotta her right where I want err.........:D oh yea, the turntable rig too if your not using it. I got to call the city fathers, see if they have a real big PLUG, and some what -50 guage wire (the smaller the number the better right).

Okay so now I gotta go find those boxes I put somewhere.......

Told ya Noel.;)

RT1
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :) Cathy Getting Tubes! :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :( Someone doesn't understand cables :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    It is my understanding that for an ABX test to be scientific and objective the first thing that has to be is that the listener has to not know which brand is which. Basically, blindfolded. Secondly, the 2 choices have to be level matched. No point in picking between a 500 watt amp and a 200 watt amp if theyre not level matched, you could pick that right every time.

As for the number of guesses, most of the studies Ive seen use 12 and the listener has to get all 12 right.

That seems like a lot but just flipping a coin should get you 6 out of 12. Besides, if the differences in whatever component you are testing are noticeable then you should be able to get 12 out of 12 every time.

1)Yes, they do need to be blinded and technically, they shouldn't even be able to see the person who does know. I've seen studies wrecked by some pretty subtle things.

2)The level matching is very important- you'd want to do it on 100% the same gear & only switch the wires. Different resistances in the wire would result in different volumes, which the human ear is very good at detecting.

3)The sample size is going to depend on how much of a badass the person is. If they can truly pick it out 75% of the time, that would suggest that cables do make a difference (75% is better than the 50% that you'd get randomly), but you'd need a bigger sample size before you'd know that they weren't full of **** vs a person who could pick right 90% of the time.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the typical ABX is that you're doing it in an unfamiliar room. This was driven home for me when I moved & the set up went from a good-by-accident room to a crap room.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    unc2701 wrote:

Now why didn't you just start with this? Was it that hard? You don't have to tell one guy to go back to car audio, insinuate he doesn't even have a home stereo, call someone else a liar, and crap your adult diapers before dropping something useful.

All I'm saying is that you being such a knee-jerk crotchety old **** everytime someone says cables don't matter really does no one any good. That last quote does.

I'm blunt, it's my nature. You don't have to like it or read it if it bothers you, but one thing you are not going to do is tell me how to post, Clear enough?

Anyway, as for all your little insults I'll be blunt with my response. Yawn.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    BTW Steve, what have you been smoking tonight???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2006
    I not telling but I see lots of Blues and Yellows :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Blinds and double blinds, although they sound (pun intended) reasonable, they really aren't good tests. More often than not (published tests) are in unfamilar settings, with unfamilar gear. I'd be suprised if the best ears got more than 50% correct. The fact that the listener KNOWS they are being tested sends it into a downward spiral. How can you even setup a control group, to reinforce the validity of the test results?

The site is typical (the original post), they provide electrical data for various types of cables. What does that really prove? It proves there is very little, or for all intents and purposes (our natural hearing ability) NO change in gain from one cable to the next. What does that have to do with 'tone'?

Amps for intance have specs, gobs of them. Amp 'a' may spec better than amp 'b' on paper electrically, but how do they sound? Amp 'b' with hideous specs, may sound night and day better (to most) than amp 'a'. Identically spec'd amps may sound COMPLETELY different. Look at anything electrical. Caps, resistors - spec'd the same, same values, same tolerences - do they all sound IDENTICAL? I'll tell you first hand, they don't. For example, I've had GRUNT Chinese tube preamps - that sounded mediocre at best - and swapped Sonicaps in the output - and they became a totally different peice of gear, for the better mind you. That being said, I've had a couple of peices modded, and frankly, they sounded better in stock form.

Unfortunately, the only tool we have for 'tone' is our ears, and our personal preferences. All the electrical charts, graphs, and spec sheets mean nothing at the end of the audio day - how does it sound?

You want to hear a difference in cables? Be familiar with your rig, and several recordings. Drop in a new set of cables and FORGET about them. Just listen as you normally would for a couple weeks. Maybe a month. Then one night, swap back to your 'old' cables, and hear the difference, for better or worse.

Is there audio voodoo and doodoo out there? Sure there is. The flip side, there is a lot of listening experience, and a lot of happy audionuts, that have taken the time to experiment, and 'find their sound'. Whether that is with 16/2 lamp cord, or Kimber Monocle - they have tuned their system and formed their own opinions - not from specs and websites, but cold hard experience.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    Bravo russman. I expected the "Has the forum reached a consensus yet?" post.:D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    I save that default reply for the political stuff. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited November 2006
    Once again DisneyJoe has refined the essentials of this argument into a pure essence of ....... uhm........well, whatever it was, it was GD funny ! :D:D
    Sal Palooza
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    All I can say is this:

Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited November 2006
    Wow, it has been awhile since someone started a cable debate. 3 points

1. You have to have some experience before you open your mouth

2. If cable swapping works for you, go with it.

3. If cable swapping doesn't work for you, buy the chapest cables possible.

Me personally I have heard a marked difference in cables (good and bad) therefore I choose #2.

See how simple this is ?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    But H9...

they want you to prove it to 'em.
    It helps them sleep better at night by keeping the boogeyman in the closet:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    I have read countless cable threads on here and they just turn into arguments. After reading some publications I belive they can make a difference. However, no one in any of these posts ever states what makes one cable better then another. Someone has to know what makes a good cable.I'm sure these "best" cable companies don't have a magic cable wand they wave and out comes super cables. They have to know what makes one cable better than another.

SO WHAT IS IT.

I see alot of uneducated arguments on both sides. Lets get some facts.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2006
    It's not about whats good and bad, it's about synergy in YOUR system.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:

AMEN!!!! How else to explain my experience with Signal Cable? How could their Classic line sound better in my set-up than their Ultra's? I mean all the specs (including resistance and capacitance) would point to the Ultra's being the hands down winner. Hell, it's even priced accordingly (i.e. more expensive).

Yet, the Classics worked better in my rig for a variety of reasons...
    This kind of stands against any placebo effect, as well. Trust me, I wanted the Ultras to sound better. I ended up losing a bit of money going to and fro.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    I hear a difference. I also could care less if others don't.

Hey! That's my line! :confused:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    ok, so I owe you a dollar :)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    MM- Come on, do better than that, I know you can. What was wrong there?

No need really to argue the points beyond pointing them out. When a person gets to a certain time in their listening goals and has the right group of synergistic equipment they will most likely upgrade cables for the fun of it and find the truth. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MSALLA
    edited November 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:

You would make a great politician:D
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    Originally Posted by RuSsMaN
    MSALLA wrote:
    You would make a great politician:D

Unlike political BS....Russman's post is A FACT!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    Absoulutely 100% correct Russ you have to know your rig, what it sounds like with the music that does it for you, in your listening room.

Your ears will tell you when to stop with wire upgrades/changes with whatever rig you presently have. It is not always about a "better" wire, sometimes you just need a different one dependent upon the system, electrons are dumb, they can be counted to behave the same way in a given environment, therefore, they can be manipulated.

Side note, get chaps cleaned...................

I am off to the Shed for an all day listening session to listen to the music. The last thing I will be thinking about is the wires.

RT1
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2006
    madmax wrote:
    No need really to argue the points beyond pointing them out. When a person gets to a certain time in their listening goals and has the right group of synergistic equipment they will most likely upgrade cables for the fun of it and find the truth. :)
    madmax

But you didn't point out anything... So does that mean you have no point? ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MSALLA
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    Unlike political BS....Russman's post is A FACT!

I agree with what he is saying, but it would be nice to hear some people back up there arguments about cables with some information.

(ie. an article from mit cables states that the cables not only tranfer current but are also a filter. They also wind the wire at different ratios for better performance.)

Although it's no one's responsibility, it would be cool for some of the more experienced members to educate some of the members who are not so informed. It seems people will on any subject on the fourm except cables.
    F1 did this for me on another thread and I was very greatful.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • madmax
    edited November 2006
    MSALLA wrote:
    Although it's no one's responsibility, it would be cool for some of the more experienced members to educate some of the members who are not so informed. It seems people will on any subject on the fourm except cables.
    F1 did this for me on another thread and I was very greatful.

We used to all the time. Always got turned into a pissing match by the unenlightened.

And no, I have no point...

madmax

• shack
    edited November 2006
    How much more information do you want? A search on this forum will yield many threads about cables. Look for the cable demo threads set up by dorokusai a year or so ago. Several cables were passed around and the results reported.

It may have been slightly in jest...but the fact of the matter is that I really DO NOT care if any one else believes that various intereconnects, speaker cables, etc... make a difference or not. If you like them fine, if not fine. I know what I think and I am tired of the constant prove this...prove that...snakeoil...science...ears...voodoo arguments this topic generates so I don't "discuss" the issues anymore.

• MSALLA
    edited November 2006
    Hey, I don't want to be convinced of a damn thing. I had questions awhile ago and F1 answerd them for me. I just get a kick reading all these opinions with nothing really being said except I think they work and I think they don't. I never really looked at the cable posts until about a month ago and never Knew it was such a touchy subject.The fact of the matter is this thread gave NO information at all.

I belive in good cables. I can't and won't spend the money for the very best, nor do I think my system warrants them.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited November 2006
    MSALLA wrote:
    all these opinions with nothing really being said except I think they work and I think they don't.

BINGO!!! We have a winner! :D
  • madmax
    edited November 2006
    Does anyone think the ones with batteries work and if so do you think it is because of the battery?
    madmax