Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    I've actually never jumped a starter with a screwdriver, but have spent enough days, eves and late, late nights under cars and trucks in weather I'd cower from these days for the sake of maintenance, engine builds and such, out of hobby and/or necessity in my earlier days to at least know what this is.

What was that trick supposed to fix, anyway?
    Was it for a bad solenoid or something?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited April 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I've actually never jumped a starter with a screwdriver, but have spent enough days, eves and late, late nights under cars and trucks in weather I'd cower from these days for the sake of maintenance, engine builds and such, out of hobby and/or necessity in my earlier days to at least know what this is.

Screw drivers and a hammer were mandatory in some of my old rides.
    The screw driver jumped the two wires that connects the starter solenoid, the hammer was to pound on the starter to loosen the brushes just enough to get you a few more starts.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,599
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Screw drivers and a hammer were mandatory in some of my old rides.
    The screw driver jumped the two wires that connects the starter solenoid, the hammer was to pound on the starter to loosen the brushes just enough to get you a few more starts.

Yes, a BFH was involved more often than not back in the day.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ... and at the other end of the felid spectrum (or the dark side of the felid street, I suppose)...

dkpxk2xocrok.png

We had a store kind of like that at our house while Harpo lived there. ;)

11999817056_fd0e24c864_c.jpg

11947100234_f00baedf99_c.jpg
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    wal9p5k0a4hq.jpeg

It might not be a great idea on modern cars.
    Add just about every shade tree meechanic
    trick to that list. Even jumper cables can screw
    up a modern car. I gave up and bought a jump
    box.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Mental Bird Attacks Hedgehog Minding Own Business
    (Edited for graphic content)
    4z3kpvmi2qsj.png

Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ outstanding!
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hedgehog.... LMAO it's a porcupine....
    Dude you need some wild Kingdom and Marlin Perkins...
    🤣😂🤣😂
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    This is a hedgehog.
    gsjvgreedhpg.jpeg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    This is a hedgehog.
    gsjvgreedhpg.jpeg

Take like a hunerd of those little things to equal that porcupine.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,120
    Options
    This is a hedgehog.
    gsjvgreedhpg.jpeg

I've always thought that hedgehogs were very cute except that they go the-thump the-thump on your car tire when you run them over.
  • msg
    Options
    Hedgehog.... LMAO it's a porcupine....
    Dude you need some wild Kingdom and Marlin Perkins...
    This is a hedgehog.
    gsjvgreedhpg.jpeg
    aht!!! dehr. brain phart!
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Not to be confused with an echidna.

kcq8fzhb7jp7.png
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ivan's got it! The hammer could help a worn and pitted solenoid make contact or help them worn out brushes contact the armature. The big screwdriver is used when the hammer didn't work. :D It helped to be fast, committed and forceful to avoid lots of sparks and get a good connection. A good, insulated handle was a plus.

u3c8jz89avdx.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I like my echidnas with rice and beans, make it a combo platter with crispy beef taco on the side
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Ivan's got it! The hammer could help a worn and pitted solenoid make contact or help them worn out brushes contact the armature. The big screwdriver is used when the hammer didn't work. :D It helped to be fast, committed and forceful to avoid lots of sparks and get a good connection. A good, insulated handle was a plus.

u3c8jz89avdx.png
    And remove all metal jewelry like wedding bands bracelets and watches.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I like my echidnas with rice and beans, make it a combo platter with crispy beef taco on the side

Chewy little buggers, good thing they come with built in toothpicks....stewing is a must.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    i96tfukom47x.jpeg
    ujjymngdewbw.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Porcupines? Echidnas? It's a darned good thing all y'all've got a biologist in the hood!
    This is a hedgehog.

c8amzqjitv7i.png

Jeez, do I have to write a book or something?

B):#:D:p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    266n31fa11bh.png

149qg6smruut.png

(ASR)

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Once upon a time 5 years ago, I went back east to visit family and stayed in the Adirondacks for a couple of days. I would wake up in the morning before my kids got up and walk up the road we were staying on. Each morning, I went a little farther along the desolate and peaceful country lane.

On the last morning, I made it to the top of the hill. As I crested the hill, I saw a young(ish) bear run across road about 100 yards away. Naturally, I turned on a dime and walked quickly back down the hill.

About a quarter a mile later, I saw this in the distance.

yk0i78plkl78.jpg

Apparently, this critter was caught up in his own thoughts that morning, because as I closed the gap he just kept waddling along on the road. Eventually I caught up to him and he finally figured out that I was there. Right after I took this picture, he decided to abandon the road to the tall stranger.

tjsq929stid7.jpg
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • msg
    Options
    I like hedgehogs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I like hedgehogs.

With green eggs and ham?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I like hedgehogs.

With green eggs and ham?

Fava beans and a nice Chianti.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    1ddwblo7q7ly.png
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn