The EV Hate Thread

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,576
    I use to average 15-20 cups a day delivering to grocery stores & 140+-CircleK (Irvin then) stores. Free coffee, breakfast muffins,pizza,Italians etc for free. Wonder I didn't have a heart attack. My mother had a Bunn coffee maker that held 3 pots on it & had the water line hooked up to it. I thought I liked coffee. Crazy ole french woman (she would throw dishes at us & chase us with chair. When she said to do something. She was serious too. She ment it :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,514
    Did you just day 15 to 20 cups a day....

Holy.... Sheet
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • boston1450
    edited August 3
    Yes.if I had 10 stops. 1 coffee per stop. 2 in morning. Deliver. Truck stop/rest. Then after work & at home. I do probably 6 now. Plus a gallon+ of water each day. I've cut back at over 60. My mother called me a wuss
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,109
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Yes.if I had 10 stops. 1 coffee per stop. 2 in morning. Deliver. Truck stop/rest. Then after work & at home. I do probably 6 now. Plus a gallon+ of water each day. I've cut back at over 60. My mother called me a wuss

WOW now that's some capacity! I would need a portable terlit strapped to the vehicle if I tried something like that.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352

WOW now that's some capacity! I would need a portable terlit strapped to the vehicle if I tried something like that.

All you need is a catheter and a vent line to the outside….🤣
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    msg wrote: »
    OleBoot wrote: »
    I actually had too much coffee - posted all of them in 40 secs before I realized I wasn't in the picture thread and deleted them just as fast ! Maybe I can work up the enthusiasm to post them in the picture thread later. All @mhardy6647 's fault for getting me sidetracked. :D

Haha, this made me laugh. I can relate to both the coffee rise and the lack of motivation during the crash.

But not to being sidetracked by... umm... certain forum regulars?
    B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    No, not that never that.
    B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,619
    All @mhardy6647 's fault for getting me sidetracked

As a sidenote, it's my understanding that that is a very effective defense in court 🤔🧑‍⚖️

"But your honor ......" 👍🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    ztx7m896yxp4.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,334
    Is that the EV version or the twin turbo inline 6 version?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    F1nut wrote: »
    Is that the EV version or the twin turbo inline 6 version?

S'posedly the EV version -- borrowed from hifihaven.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,334
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    Great, another homeless camp idea
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,619
    Perhaps someone could come up with a plan to give the homeless maybe, oh, let's say $25,000 to use as a downpayment for that Tesla camper truck ,🤔

And make it so that each member of a family of 4 would be eligible to receive that stipend, so
    $25,000 x 4 = $100,000
    🤩
    That'd leave a little left over for takeout from McDonalds, KFC, or Pizza Hut ! 🤗❤️

Win-Win ! 💪💥
    Sal Palooza
  • boston1450
    And how would you pay for that ?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    And how would you pay for that ?

Easy. It's like the Oprah Winfrey show...

"You get to pay for it...and YOU get to pay for it! EVERYONE gets to pay for it!"

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,110
    edited August 22
    I know this is the EV hate thread, but this was my recent rental, and it was absolutely awesome!

I charged overnight at my hotel, and when driving, used fast chargers on the freeway, which added about 100 miles of range per 10 minutes of connection. More than enough for my style of driving.

Example: The range was about 300 miles. I never drive for more than 3 hours without stopping, so after 2.5 hours, I would have covered approximately 180 miles. When I stopped for coffee, it took me 20 something minutes to get the coffee, chat with my co-pilot, and consume said beverage. When we returned to the car, it was fully charged for another 300 miles.

When charging overnight, I set it up to start climate control ten minutes before my intended departure, and the cabin would be completely conditioned before entry.

I don’t have a charging subscription, but the chargers either allowed me to use contactless Apple Pay on my watch, or scan a QR code on my phone.

412wbb2ce938.png
    Alea jacta est!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    I did 1832 miles. It was about 23 hours of total driving time and about 27 hours on the road with stops not counting the overnight stay in Tennessee.

Fill ups never took more than 10 minutes, usually a little over 5 (27 gallons is a lot of gas!) and bathroom/food breaks were about 20 minutes for a wee and then a grab and go. I stopped about every 4.5-5 hours except for one "potty emergency". If the kids weren't with me I would have gone longer. A single tank of gas got me 600+ miles in range at highway speeds, especially over flatter land. The economy computer in the car said anywhere from 604 miles to 638 miles of range after each fill up, depended on how much elevation changes and stop and go traffic we experienced. The worst range rating I got was 578 miles and that was after running through the mountains of eastern Tennessee in stop and go traffic on the approach to Knoxville. I could have probably gotten closer to 650 miles of range if I stuck the cruise control at 65 but that would have added 3 hours of driving time, total. I stopped a total of 8 times including the overnight stay. 3 times on day one, 4 times on day 2 because of the extra potty break. 1 overnight stay.

Every time I stopped, there were Teslas at Superchargers with east coast license plates and the owners were all camped out with pop up sun shades, lawn chairs and either books or phones or laptops making excuses for how long it took to fill up and how much they enjoyed the break before they could get back on their way. I just rolled in with my big pig, grabbed food, had a wee, corralled the fam, filled up on the way out and back to rockin' on down the road.

If I had to stop every 3 hours for at least 20 minutes that would have added almost 3 hours of time to the trip and necessitated a 2nd overnight stay somewhere. I certainly wouldn't have been able to average 79.8 MPH with a Tesla and get decent range either. I blasted past many Teslas hanging out in the right lane and "hypermiling" their way to their next mandatory picnic. So, in all honesty, with about 300 miles of range from your average Tesla, 1800+ would have required at least 6 stops if you rolled up to a charger empty and then you'd have way longer than a 20 minute wait to get the range back up to 300 miles again. According to Tesla, a DC Fastcharger takes about 25 minutes to get a Model 3 from empty to 80% and 200 miles of range. That last 20 % is very dear, though, as it can take up to an hour to get to full.

So if you have to stop 6 times in 1850 miles...actually, 7 because a 300 mile range means you'd have to stop about an hour from home to charge for at least 15 minutes to get 50% life back and make it the last 50 miles. Anyway, 6 times at 25 minutes a stop, that's 2.5 hours of extra time at the minimum but you'd have to add 3 more stops since that only covers up to 200 miles of range. So add about hour and fifteen minutes to that total. So 3.75 hours total plus that last 15 minute top off means your roughly 28.5 hours of driving at a 65 MPH average to maximize your range turns into 32.5 hours of driving.

And most of that trip, the speed limits were 70-85 MPH. Only NJ had a speed limit under 70 MPH. So you'd be going significantly slower than the rest of the traffic.

I dunno about you but 32.5 hours...14.5 hours of driving, not including rest stops, just driving...that's my limit in one day. After that, I start getting antsy or tired and really aggravated. I can push it to 16.5, maybe 17 if I have to but I'm getting really unsafe at that point. I'd have to turn a 32.5 hour drive into a 3 day slog with an electric car.

That same distance had me leaving at 7 AM on day one and pulling in to my driveway at 9:30 PM on day 2 with the slow downs due to traffic issues and 3.5 total hours of rest stops over two days.

Not trying to argue or start a pissing contest, just relating some real world, actual data from a trip I just took. All my numbers came out of my Google Maps timeline and what I recorded from odometer readings and fill up receipts. I rounded to the nearest fraction of an hour instead of saying, like, 3 hours and 57 minutes just for readability. The Tesla Model 3 numbers came from Car and Driver and an EV enthusiast site (not Sal).
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    Also, 27 gallons of gas is heavy enough that mileage actually improves as the tank empties. 27 gallons weighs about 170 pounds or so. It's like carrying an extra person. Still, preferable to the 1,000+ pounds of batteries in a Tesla Model 3.

Another thing, a Navigator is a stellar road trip vehicle! Plenty of room for you, the fam, the pets and all your junk and seating comfortable enough to sit for hours without losing feeling in your legs or butt! And that air conditioner! It'll get the interior down to about 72 degrees in 115 degree weather before it runs out of oomph! Next time you gotta go on a long trip rent one of those or an Expedition, at least!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    That's exactly why we choose to get a Chevy Tahoe LTZ for our family vehicle. Plenty of room for everything we have and it's perfect for long trips with the family. An EV is simply not an option for us and long travel with gear we want to bring for the trip. We often travel long distances for our vacations.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Current EV battery technology isn't advanced enough for practical real world use, and the production and disposal methods are an ecological disaster.

Anyone who disagrees with this is living in an alternate reality dream world.
  • treitz3
    Well, real world use in a city? I can see the benefits there for many folks. You simply charge it while it's not being used.

In an outbuilding, just in case it catches on fire.

Tom
  • Kex
    Electric vehicles may not be for everybody in every scenario, including long road trips, but they’re also not for nobody.

When we did long road trips in the past, it was out of necessity (financially), not because we actually wanted to. We bought a Mercedes-Benz E-Class with “designo” leather (special order option), four zone climate control, power sunshades and 12 way seat adjustments, but we avoided paying for air fares.

We did limit our days to about 800 miles of driving between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., switching drivers every 2 to 3 hours. Coffee breaks usually lasted 30 minutes. Lunch break lasted an hour. At night, we would fetch a bottle of wine from the car, book a two room suite in the hotel, and order in dinner to enjoy in our room, with the kids eating pizza before the TV next door.

The driver is never bored, but everyone else is just resigned to having to sit there in a gilded prison.

Nowadays, if it’s further than 500 miles, we just fly, First Class if possible, drink champagne on board (maybe Prosecco on most 🇺🇸 airlines) and rent a car upon arrival.

However, if we were doing those road trips today in a BMW i4 EV, none of our stops would be longer than they already were based on my most recent experience. It matches our driving and break schedule perfectly.

Those people in the Teslas with chairs and tents while they charge?! 👎 🙅‍♂️ 😬
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    I’m definitely not a hypermiler. I drove my i4 rental at 80-85 mph the entire time, except when not on freeways.

As for the surge of power. It’s fabulous. Merging from a freeway entrance ramp and wanting to get ahead of slower traffic, I wouldn’t even floor it, but I would still find myself looking at the HUD after the merge to discover that I had reached 110 mph without even trying.
    Alea jacta est!