Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,110
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS Not lookin' at the portfolio 'paper' valuation this afternoon ;)
    Step away from the computer, Mrs. H.! Step away from the computer! 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,589
    edited February 2020
    Kex wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS Not lookin' at the portfolio 'paper' valuation this afternoon ;)
    Step away from the computer, Mrs. H.! Step away from the computer! 😉

She just sat down and started leafin' through hers :p
    She needs to be cured of that bad habit (ahem) ;)

EDIT: She peeked vdsbs9pm0on8.png

I chided her when she told me the number. I chided her. ;)
    She did note, though (and I concur!) that she's glad we sold some stock last week to help recharge our cash reserves for the year. :p

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Market down 1000 today. Will it recover tomorrow, or continue down? The real question is when will this virus strike the US? I suspect when that happens the market will really collapse.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,589
    what Is happening to us... There used to be a day when only the military spoke in acronyms and hieroglyphics. Now everyone does it.

Try bein' a scientist some time.
    Or read the abstract to our son's PhD thesis in mathematics. There are a few groupings of letters that I can reliably identify as words.

6ptnkzwto58k.png
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Thank God we do not have the Flu here...... Can you just imagine what kind of pandemonium a good Flu outbreak could wreck ???

OH wait many more are dying from the flu here....

never mind.... carry on The Sky is falling look OUT...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    Gotta love all the doomsday crap...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    As the late, great Al Czervik once said....BUY BUY BUY! It also seems many media outfits are doing their usual fear mongering to boost ratings.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    Bear markets are for the rich
    Buy Buy Buy is correct
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Isn't there a Netflix series called Pandemic that mimics current situation?

Bill And Melinda Gates Behind Global Pandemic Excercise Focusing On Coronavirus

Meanwhile, on Oct. 18, 2019, also before the outbreak, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the World Economic Forum co-hosted an event in NYC where “policymakers, business leaders, and health officials” worked together on a simulated coronavirus outbreak.

Titled the “Event 201” pandemic, the high-level pandemic exercise “dropped participants right in the midst of an uncontrolled coronavirus outbreak that was spreading like wildfire out of South America to wreak worldwide havoc.”

“In the simulation, CAPS (the coronavirus) resulted in a death toll of 65 million people within 18 months,” according to John Hopkins University.

A video highlight reel from the event shows fictional newscasters from “GNN” discuss how the hypothetical immune-resistant virus (nicknamed CAPS) was crippling trade and travel, sending the global economy into freefall.

It just so happens that a professor from Imperial College London recently warned the coronavirus has the same kill rate as the Spanish flu, which claimed the lives of 20-50 million people in 1918.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,896
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Thank God we do not have the Flu here...... Can you just imagine what kind of pandemonium a good Flu outbreak could wreck ???

OH wait many more are dying from the flu here....

never mind.... carry on The Sky is falling look OUT...

don't mention the flu, you'll get jumped on to start your own thread. :D

come to think of it the person who jumped on me for mentioning the flu has turned the thread into a financial thread >:)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    IIRC that Spanish flu killed those who had the best immune systems as their body went overboard to combat it which resulted in their death.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    xschop wrote: »

It just so happens that a professor from Imperial College London recently warned the coronavirus has the same kill rate as the Spanish flu, which claimed the lives of 20-50 million people in 1918.

There is no where near the same kill rate. Roughly 80k cases so far worldwide of the CV, and I don't think we hit 100 deaths yet.

The flu is actually a better comparison. 14k have died from the flu and both viruses kill those with weakened immune systems. Puts the elderly at high risk.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halen
    halen Posts: 707
    tonyb wrote: »

There is no where near the same kill rate. Roughly 80k cases so far worldwide of the CV, and I don't think we hit 100 deaths yet.

The flu is actually a better comparison. 14k have died from the flu and both viruses kill those with weakened immune systems. Puts the elderly at high risk.

I would also say toddlers.
  • xschop

Let's hope not. That was a quote from Intellihub website. However, if such a similar pandemic arose now, the % of population then compared to world pop. now, the numbers could be close.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    Never say never, right. A global pandemic could happen but highly unlikely at this point. Could be what we are witnessing is trial runs. Devious minds will do devious things to accomplish their goals.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    There is no where near the same kill rate. Roughly 80k cases so far worldwide of the CV, and I don't think we hit 100 deaths yet...

Nowhere close to the estimated 10% death rate of the Spanish Flu.

However, just FYI, in China alone, over 2,600 have died.
    Alea jacta est!
  • xschop
    edited February 2020
    At the current 2600 mortalities to 79,000 infections being reported, the numbers indeed coincide.

https://corona.help/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    Devious minds will do devious things to accomplish their goals.

Teddy Turner and the environut fringe believe the planet can only support 300 million people...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    That website doesn’t seem to report patient recovery numbers. Seems to be run by a private individual, using THIS resource (from John Hopkins University CCSE), which does include patient recovery numbers.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    P.S. Interesting information from the JHU website, confirming the 100% recovery rate in France, mentioned earlier, other than the elderly Chinese tourist. Also, even in China, so far 27,418 patients have recovered. This is the first time I’ve seen this statistic even mentioned.
    Alea jacta est!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Devious minds will do devious things to accomplish their goals.

Signature material right there...
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    Would be nice to hear Joey's perspective on this.
  • xschop
    Willow wrote: »

I'll be a peace when I hear a definitive answer from F1.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    He's already got a coffin, he's all set.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341

I never touch the stuff myself.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    F1nut wrote: »

I never touch the stuff myself.

Ok, good to hear from you. I can rest easy now. You always manage to get quarantined here on CP against your will (or knowledge for that matter) lol.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    edited February 2020
    Dow volume to the downside up 53% over the daily average today.

Buy the dip, bag holders wanted.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Dow volume to the downside up 53% over the daily average today.

Not sure what that means. Dow lost almost 900 points today. That is 2000 points in two days. At some point, it will bounce back a little, but when the virus hits the US look out. I’m surprised it hasn’t hit the US yet. Not sure how long our luck can hold out.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ^^ trading volume. Average daily volume after yesterday's selloff was 271M. Today's volume was 510M shares.

Volume is an important indicator as is the points down. Helps to determine if there were any dip buyers or was it all on the sell side.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
This discussion has been closed.