Verb is outta control! A Hickok has landed!

1235»

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited December 2019
    Found this tube map of my restored Philco Floor Standing radio. Roll tubes on the Philco? I gotta check what's in there, most likely Russian or Chinese varieties.

So I did a quick check on line, wow, plenty of made in the USA NOS out there! :smile:

And, I didn't even know I owned any Loktal tubes! Hiding away in that bugger! :smile:

1wvm5q9aahlf.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    edited December 2019
    I wouldn't get too worked up about rolling tubes in it, were I you ;)

The Loktal was a Philco thing (in case you didn't know that), although I guess the design itself was Sylvania's provenance. Philco made relatively lots of components using 'em.
    Push-pull 41 outputs -- whoo-hoo! :)

Get yourself an old vacuum tube manual -- if you haven't already.
    This one will be helpful for the 'double digit' tubes
    http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC12.pdf

Might be harder to find a one-stop shop for Loktal ("lock in", generically) tube data, but most of 'em will be here (e.g.):
    http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC17.pdf
    You probably know all of the secret arcane info on the Loktals, but -- in case you don't -- I'll risk a visit from the shadowy forces of the Loktal Cabal to share a few nuggets. :#

The 6V filament Loktals have type numbers starting with "7"
    The 12V filament Loktals have type numbers starting with "14"
    (this does not, of course, mean that there aren't 'normal' tubes with 7 or 14 volt filaments, especially later on, when cheap 'series-string' (killer) TV sets started using tubes with unusual filament voltages)

You probably also know that there are some secret gems among the Loktals :p
    For example (shhhhhh... come closer... quiet...) -- the 7N7 is a 6SN7 in a different package. And the 7F7?, I hear you ask -- 6SL7 in a different bottle. :*
    Of course... you didn't hear this from me.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2016/06/tube-of-month-7f7.html

xi2oj1i118m3.png

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,677
    I'm not going to be able to sleep now. :'(
  • verb
    Thanks Mark! I was hoping to get some more tutelage from you! Yeah the tube rolling on the Philco, meh, but nice to have some spares anyways!

Did not know about the 7N7's - Lot of em out there! And they make an adapter so those locktal's can fit into a regular octal socket, from what I've seen.

All very interesting. This tube journey I'm on! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Although buried inside the art deco cabinet, gotta love the look of those 41's! :smile:
    mqw2nmbhbegm.png
  • Viking64
    verb wrote: »
    This tube journey I'm on! :smile:

Tube journey? Which one is you?

8b6spu5rasca.jpg
  • verb
    Somewhere in there! BTW I'm stuck! Help me! :smile:
  • verb
    This was interesting to me. 3 circuits in one tube! the 7C6, a triode and double diode tube!
    djosk4xmrbek.png

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aah0008.htm
  • Viking64
    Somewhere in there! BTW I'm stuck! Help me! :smile:

dch255a3h280.jpg
  • verb
    You found me! Now pull me out! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    edited December 2019
    This was interesting to me. 3 circuits in one tube! the 7C6, a triode and double diode tube!
    djosk4xmrbek.png

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aah0008.htm
    Tubes like that became pretty common in small/cheap radios (and car radios) -- to save space and money.
    Here's one from the late 1950s (just before car radio was taken over by transistors), e.g., the 12AJ6. Three functions (a triode and two diodes) in one 7 pin miniature envelope. This 'space charge' tube and its kin are unique in that they operate at low plate voltages and require no HV power supply -- late 1950s/early 1960s car radios used space charge tubes with transistor power amplifiers, and could run directly off of the car's "12V" power! :)

756ctbclvusu.png
    https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/106/1/12AJ6.pdf

r7rvwc1c5qmx.png
    (borrowed image of a 12AJ6)

The GE "Compactrons" of the early 1960s were the ultimate expression of how many tubes can we pack into one envelope value engineering ;) at the tail end of the vacuum tube age. This was a last-ditch effort to keep tubes relevant, and some of the smallest, and cheapest (?!) color TV portables of the early/mid 1960s used a handful of Compactrons to do all the work. The GE "PortaColor" is the best (or, depending on one's perspective, worst) example. :p

The 6AC10 is a reasonable example: three triodes in one squat bottle with the 12 pin "duodecar" Compactron base. :)

33wsm3s5zgc6.png
    https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/123/6/6AC10.pdf

vquha8580r7c.png
    (image borrowed from the web of a 6AC10; the three sections are readily visible)

Then again, there's this... thing. I found this in a box of "plinkers" from my father's shop. I was deeply perplexed by it. Turns out it is a 6JU8: a color TV tube that contains four diodes in one envelope. The weirdest thing about it (IMO) -- the tube elements in it are arranged sideways compared to typical vacuum tubes.

47448100891_ca7a050893_b.jpg
    DSC_4222 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

eso3ql52kp91.png
    https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/106/1/12AJ6.pdf

The 6JU8A was essentially the same tube, but looked more ordinary inside. :)

• verb
    edited December 2019
    Just got these NOS 6SN7GTB babies! Looks like re-branded Sylvania (Black T-Plates), but, just me, gotta love the brand! And nice surprise that they came with the boxes! :smile:
    s3t5uq2q1ueb.png
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited December 2019
    @verb There’s a pair of these FS locally. If you were to pick them up at his asking price, you would be out of control

Seriously though, you should try to hunt down a (reasonably priced ) pair ...good luck!

5c3bq51omh1o.png

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9j08e-sylvania-jan-chs-6sn7w-tubes

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Wow those look sweet! Pretty close to us too! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    edited December 2019
    btw, another nice tube score!

I can see how the tube caddy has become more of a need than a want
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited December 2019
    Stupid ridiculous price. But yes old tall bottle tube. They have always rated high. Not sure at that price my ears will ever hear the details. Just think back in the day they cost like 3 bucks a tube :p
  • verb
    Thanks Dog! Just arrived today! In the original shipping box too! Seller did a great job, double boxing everything. :smile:

qvwhzid7jgby.png

• pitdogg2
  • GlennDog
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That is sweet

Yepper

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Thanks to both you guys, my next tube caddy is on order! :smile:
    u2x48jzd1nb6.png
  • pitdogg2
    The way you guys roll no doubt about it
  • GlennDog
    Thanks to both you guys, my next tube caddy is on order! :smile:

I’m sure it’ll sit on anti-vibration blocks and have a TOTL computerized climate control HVAC system
    😂😂😂
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Picked up a few more tubes. Some Loktal's, a spare for the Peachtree, and a couple of 12SN7's to do some measurement comparisons between the 6SN7's! :smile:
    pvlv8qhb8hdv.png
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Picked up a few more tubes.

Opens trench coat and says..."Pssssst, tubes?".
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • verb
    edited September 2021
    Finally had a chance to spend time with a fellow Michigan Polkie - @GlennDog ! Gave him a quick tutorial on the TV-7D\U tube tester, and a whirlwind demo of the many rigs I have all over the house!

Next time, a few more hours!

i20fz74otlsv.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Envious of that Dave.
  • verb
    Envious of that Dave.

No worries my brother - anytime you need to borrow it. Let me know!
  • GlennDog

, and a whirlwind demo of the many rigs I have all over the house!

I thought I was at Axpona! Dave’s got gear in every room! A true music lover . . .

Dave’s tutorial on the use of the TV7 was very good! I spent this morning checking on some toobs!

Additional tutelage is in my future!

7h5pvwj8ufy4.jpeg
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    Envious of that Dave.

No worries my brother - anytime you need to borrow it. Let me know!

Sweet.

I've actually been shopping tube testers. Nothing yet just eyeballing atm.