What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    No, I had an MS750, but it was a real boat anchor as that is one of the rare pieces McIntosh no longer supports.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Today I crossed into the Blue... my new to me Mcintosh 2300.

Wow, congrats! It looks in new condition. How about a pic lit up?

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    nb57n89boxz7.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Finally broke down and ordered some acoustical treatment for the room. Hopefully, it's worth the investment. Ceiling, 1st reflection points and behind the listening position. I figure that's a good start to see what they can actually do.

The panels I got are a combo of diffusion and absorption, so I don't deaden the sound too much....which is a fear of mine. We shall see...

Currently listening to anything that is on my list, switching to physical music every once in a while.

I also have Jonny working on building another custom cable for me. This one he normally doesn't sell but I would like to try out something. Hopefully, it will work out. Based on prior experience with his other offerings? I think I'll be a happy camper.

I'm just happy to not be working. Looking forward to the weekend!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    edited March 9
    Options
    Come down to the Southwest Audio Fest and the three of us can go out for bbq. If he gets the cable ready, you can pick it up.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Options
    My workload right now dictated that I cannot make it, unfortunately. It was my plan all along but I wasn't expecting such a high maintenance client that soaks up not only my time but most of the company's time as well.

We are looking forward to dumping him. He's that much of a POS and isn't really worth our time. There are 3 columns in business. Any business.

Speed.
    Quality.
    Price.

When I gained this client for the company I work for, he stated that he understood. Yeah, he didn't understand jack. He wants all 3 consecutively and at all times. Business doesn't work that way. You can have one or two of the columns but NOT all 3.

Normally, I would expect a genuine, "Thank you" and maybe a steak dinner or three for gaining a client like this but I do feel like I need to actually apologize for getting this jack*** as a client. I am living in hell with this cat, even though I have greatly distanced myself with him. He still soaks up enough of the company's time, my workload is STILL increased....and substantially.

I was really looking forward to meeting a while host of new people (from this forum and others as well) that I spoken to for quite a long time, as well as some industry insiders that I was looking forward to meeting.

It is what it is.

Since I couldn't make it, I spent those funds on some new SR Audio PC's that I am currently enjoying as I type. Bittersweet, if you will.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Finally broke down and ordered some acoustical treatment for the room.

Tom

I’m already looking forward to what should be a massively entertaining review, a la Snake River on steroids. Believe you will be kicking yourself for not doing this earlier. I would say, based on my experience with similar locations, you are definitely off to a “good start.”

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    edited March 9
    Options
    @treitz3 I tried these as they not that expensive and they did improve the sound in my room.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CH346B1R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    2nt3w2wpqe4k.jpg
    v7aoz2yb6w0c.jpg
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Options
    I have 5 panels coming in to start out with.

2-6" thick, long and rectangular panels that will hang down a bit from the ceiling, 2- 2'x4' 6" thick panels that will stand alone off to the sides at the first reflection points and those will have the metal stands, so I can move them around a bit to experiment (and possibly raise up on a base if needed)

Then I got one 2" thick, long rectangular panel for directly behind the listening position. All panels are from the Impressions collection, so they absorb as well as diffuse.

This is just an experiment for me, one that hopefully does not suck the life out of the music yet enhances what I already have. My room isn't too lively, as I have carpet but honestly? The speakers are too much for my size room. It's only 13x15 with the Tyler's on the short wall, with all the gear and the 2 Ryhtmik subs. The room can get overloaded rather quickly, which is why volume is so important. One notch too high and it breaks the magic of what I am listening too.

I know my room is my biggest detriment to the system right now, my hopes are to improve what I have until the new room is designed and built. I am still in the design phase and learning even more about the electrical infrastructure that I would like to implement, so finishing just that aspect may take a while. Constantly being busy at work isn't helping matters here either. I just need something to hopefully improve what I have in the meantime.

These panels will (hopefully) also be in use when the construction aspect of the new room is done. Then, I am planning on building custom diffusers and some other movable/slideable absorbers/diffractors as well. Just trying to experiment a little bit, as I design and think more about the grand plan.

I can only hope I don't feel Larry's pain all over again when it comes to GIK and their quality standards. I'd rather not go through the ordeal he went through but realize full well that this may be what happens. Out of all of the differing types of choices/companies, these fit my style and hopefully I choose wisely when it comes to what they will do for the sound. Only time will tell on that aspect.....and probably a lot of experimenting.

Tom
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I can only hope I don't feel Larry's pain all over again when it comes to GIK and their quality standards. I'd rather not go through the ordeal he went through but realize full well that this may be what happens. Out of all of the differing types of choices/companies, these fit my style and hopefully I choose wisely when it comes to what they will do for the sound. Only time will tell on that aspect.....and probably a lot of experimenting.

FWIW I recently bought 3 standard 2" panels from GIK with the Guilford of Maine fabric. Quality was good and they arrived safe and sound. I only wish they didn't put those bulbous logo stickers on them.

I had looked into soundproofcow.com and got a quote. I would have preferred their custom sized panels with beveled edges but it was nearly double the price of GIK.

Rick
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    I use acoustimac... They were half the price of gik and seem to do the trick
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    One thing nice about adding and testing acoustic panels is there is no break-in period :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    Options
    With all of the changes in the rig that break in wildly over the course of 3 weeks, I am looking forward to no break in. That will be a most welcome change.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    I disagree, the insulation and fabric will absolutely break in as the molecules align. The only way to bypass this is to cryo treat them and I'm sure yours are cryo treated right
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    No.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    >:)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Cleaned everything…cj173smoexsz.jpg

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Cleaned everything …

Cleaning can be quite the endeavor. I know it is in my case and it needs deep spring cleaning BAAADD!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Forgot to clean your fan.....slacker.... :p

Tom
  • VR3
    edited March 21
    Options
    I Mean obviously the issue is you do not have enough tubes
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I am amazed by the differences between mine and the production versions. These are here visiting for a bit of a refresh and some testing before going on to their new home.

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    ln7v3smtui7s.jpg

Drove down to Garden Grove and grabbed a deal on some Monitor 12s.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • treitz3
    Options
    I am amazed by the differences between mine and the production versions.

Is this good or bad? BTW, where's your quick and witty answer to my comment on the fan? We spoke about this on the phone and you haven't thought of anything YET?

....slacker....

Tom

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    I am amazed by the differences between mine and the production versions. These are here visiting for a bit of a refresh and some testing before going on to their new home.

I don't think you will see anymore like yours from carver, those are the real deal.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Those were custom made by John himself, under Bob's direction and parts. This was back when Bob hand wound his own xns-frmrs.

He may still wind them but I doubt it.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    One of a kind!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    edited March 21
    Options

How many friggen times do we have to post pictures of your stupid amps!!!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Forgot to clean your fan.....slacker.... :p

Tom
    I am amazed by the differences between mine and the production versions.

Is this good or bad? BTW, where's your quick and witty answer to my comment on the fan? We spoke about this on the phone and you haven't thought of anything YET?

....slacker....

Tom

Suck it Tom... get back to work.