What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,630
    Options
    I also put my phone inside and tried calling it. I would not ring after many attempts, so the Farady effect is superb

I find it funny that you thought you could. Shoot, we have a farm store that is wrapped in metal siding, walk in the door look at your phone signal and watch the bars drop at every step. Six steps in foogetaboutit, you're off the grid.😂
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I cleaned all the components and their associated cables in the rig. I also rearranged them.

The old setup went from left to right: turntable, amp/pre(stacked) and the hd turner/cdp(stacked).

The new setup goes from left to right: amp/pre(still stacked), hd tuner/cdp(still stacked) and the turntable.

All of this was done in preparation of listening to the SR component PC, and because the rig needed and cosmetic change. Not to mention it'll make it easer to swap out the PCs.

2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,404
    Options
    Unplugged it. Nasty storm rolling through with high winds and a tornado watch.

It's a shame too, as I get to work from home today. Bummer.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    edited January 9
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Unplugged it. Nasty storm rolling through with high winds and a tornado watch.

It's a shame too, as I get to work from home today. Bummer.

Tom

That's a shame!

Here in the Appalachian mtn of NC the winds aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be but the ice is a real worry.

Non the less I'm still getting ready to burn in the SR PC! The rig has been running since 1030 now.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    It’s cold and snowy/raining here, so I’m DeoxIT-ing more tube pins! Seemed like a good wintery thing to do.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,216
    Options
    Trying a ladder DAC in my rig. First major change to my digital playback in a long time. Unfortunately my head is all clogged up, so the ears are not hearing too good today. Hopefully that clears up soon so I can hear what all the fuss is about with these things.

cpukhfnqj8o3.jpg
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    Options
    U gon' like it bro...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited January 11
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Trying a ladder DAC in my rig. First major change to my digital playback in a long time. Unfortunately my head is all clogged up, so the ears are not hearing too good today. Hopefully that clears up soon so I can hear what all the fuss is about with these things.

cpukhfnqj8o3.jpg

The following video will show you how to switch between the various sampling modes, once your sinuses clear up.

https://youtu.be/-5vENPkk1DI?si=nOn_q2CqaTV_7HRX
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    I found this Nikko NT-790 tuner at a local thrift store for $30, so I added it to my rig. I like having the option to listen to FM, and I think it looks good with the other components w4tcr7frgilz.jpg
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,724
    Options
    Nice find... No static at all...
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,630
    Options
    Nikko made some nice stuff.
  • billbillw
    edited January 12
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

The following video will show you how to switch between the various sampling modes, once your sinuses clear up.

Thanks, but I already knew that. I have tried all three variation of NOS, OS Fast and Slow. OS Fast seems to be my preferred, but I've got a lot more listening to conduct and I'm making some cabling changes at the same time, so I might be switching it often.

I have to say, after only one night listening, there is not a great difference between this and my Teac UD-301. I guess that goes to show the old Teac was pretty good for its time. I did notice more pronounced low bass with the Denafrips, but I'm not sure the imaging and 'air' is as good as with the Teac. After I get my extra XLR cables delivered, I should be able to have both the Teac and the Denafrips hooked up on different inputs to my preamp, and if Daphile works the way I expect it to, I should be able to compare both without too much time in switching.

I could tell some things were different, some good, some meh...
    I definitely noticed some low level background sounds (from the recording) that I didn't hear before. Not "noise", but stuff picked up by the mics in the studio, like people bumping around, setting instruments down, etc. I also felt that I could enjoy the music more at a lower level while still getting enough detail. Overall, it will be an interesting comparison to come.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited January 12
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Thanks, but I already knew that. I have tried all three variation of NOS, OS Fast and Slow. OS Fast seems to be my preferred, but I've got a lot more listening to conduct and I'm making some cabling changes at the same time, so I might be switching it often.

I have to say, after only one night listening, there is not a great difference between this and my Teac UD-301. I guess that goes to show the old Teac was pretty good for its time. I did notice more pronounced low bass with the Denafrips, but I'm not sure the imaging and 'air' is as good as with the Teac. After I get my extra XLR cables delivered, I should be able to have both the Teac and the Denafrips hooked up on different inputs to my preamp, and if Daphile works the way I expect it to, I should be able to compare both without too much time in switching.

I could tell some things were different, some good, some meh...
    I definitely noticed some low level background sounds (from the recording) that I didn't hear before. Not "noise", but stuff picked up by the mics in the studio, like people bumping around, setting instruments down, etc. I also felt that I could enjoy the music more at a lower level while still getting enough detail. Overall, it will be an interesting comparison to come.

Definitely agree, the Denafrips doesn’t give the airiest presentation; it is more on the warm side of the spectrum; image density and 3D presentation with good trailing and low-level details are other enjoyable attributes. In a word, I’d describe it as very natural sounding.

Interested to hear how it compares with the TEAC once XLRs in place. Haven’t heard that one.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have multiple pairs of speakers I rotate thru two systems. Thursday evening I moved the Shinjitsu’s up to the main system, and hooked up the Great Horned Heils in the pit. The Great Horns haven’t been run in about 8-9 months. I noticed it took about 5hrs for them to settle in. I find it interesting that there is still break in after speakers sit for a while. Now that I’m retired, I have the time to tackle meaningless tasks like this. :#
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Messed around with toe-in a bit. I used to think the RTA 15TLs sounded best with very little toe-in. Used to really zap the bass to me, but just for fun I spent some time going in 1/4” increments today to see what happened. I feel like I’ve ended up with a more complete and detailed soundstage after just a few tweaks. Enough that I’m gonna let it soak for awhile before I go any further. Apparently, nowadays the subs are taking care of any bass issues I was having, previously.

The new amp stands and cable organization exercise I did a week or two ago and now this have been interesting. I guess sometimes you don’t need to spend much, if any, money to get an improvement in SQ. Just rearranging what you have can get some surprising results.

I’m good with that!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, I'd be lying if I said that I did this "today". This past Friday, I got in a cheap little Pangea Amp stand. I think it was about $100 to $120.00. Nothing special at all. I got tired of the ANK DAC sitting on an unused receiver directly on the floor, with the granite slab sitting on top of the receiver.

82hvxpd5ex0x.jpg

You can still see the imprint of the receiver on the carpet.

So, anyway.....I did that and also added the other ANK DAC on top of one of the external crossover boxes, with isolation footers and then set the master clock and one of the LPS's (also with isolation footers) on top of that.

This was the only change I have made to the rig as of late. I was amazed at how such a small change affected the sound. Almost as if I could "hear the stand", if you will. The system cleared up a tad bit and once again, lost some of that digital edge that I didn't even know was there. But it's more fluid now and natural in it's presentation.

I could be off base here but I believe it boils down to vibration isolation(s). The tubes that are in the DAC are now isolated from floor vibrations (that amp stand now weighs in at about 130 pounds with everything on it) and also, the isolation footers for the LPS and the master clock helped with vibrations within those two units. Probably more so with the clock, than the LPS.

All I have to say is that it was a pleasant change, one for the better and it got me to listening to the rig for about 30 hours straight (minus a nap in the wee hours of the night).
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    The new amp stands and cable organization exercise I did a week or two ago and now this have been interesting. I guess sometimes you don’t need to spend much, if any, money to get an improvement in SQ. Just rearranging what you have can get some surprising results.

No doubt!

Tom
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    That stand looks perfect for a DAC. I built my amp stand, because it had to be 24" deep to accommodate my amp.
  • treitz3
    Options
    That's a big amp! What amp are you sportin'?

Tom
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    A krell ksa 300s. It sounds great with a tube preamp and tube DAC, it was a little harsh with upstream solid state equipment.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    … the ANK DAC …

… the other ANK DAC …

Two DACs? How are those utilized?

Brian

• treitz3
    Options
    One of them is specifically dedicated to the streaming setup. The other one is dedicated specifically for the CD/SACD player.

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Is that because they have limited inputs on each, or is that for signal isolation?

Brian

• treitz3
    Options
    Differing sound signatures and the ability to tune each independently, mainly. Streaming music seems to have different needs (tube wise) to physical music IME/IMO.

This way, I can tune each source to where I want them to be.

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Outstanding! You answered a few questions I’ve had bouncing around in my head for a while. While I hear those source differences in my own system, I don’t believe I’ve heard of running dual DACs to address it before. Only makes sense, though.

That is awesome ... and serious. Thanks for the explanation.

Brian

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,106
    Options
    I plan to try running dual dacs soon, one for the bass and one for the mtm. Eventually I would like to try 4 dacs, 8 channels of amplification for a fully digital active setup... But that is a far away goal!

Just installed the second dac to try by itself and will playa round with the bass and mtm separation later!

Abbas 2.0 and abbas 2.4se

goh3331gxuld.jpg
    gsqftz9p6sen.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,094
    Options
    I confess, I've never heard of a 1 box performing dual DAC function. . . . Call me GREEN (I hope that's not offensive)

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188120.0

the cat/seller calms "independent DACs" . . . new technology? again, color me newbie
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    I had a girlfriend once that wanted me to have two DACS...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • billbillw
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

haH...
    Actually, the last thing I did to my stereo (over the weekend) was to wire up two DACs. I took delivery of another two pairs of XLR cables and I was able to wire my Denafrips and the older TEAC to my preamp at the same time. The pathway for both is full balanced now. My Daphile thin client has no issues streaming simultaneously to both DACs which was a surprise to me. I though I would have to stop/start streaming for each DAC, but I can play the same music on both at the same time and just switch inputs on the preamp. I haven't had a chance to sit down and compare yet because of visitors and I'm still clearing this stubborn head cold. Hopefully I can find some time with clear ears in the next few days. I can already tell there is significant sound signature difference when I was doing the quick checking, but I didn't listen long enough to tell if I prefer one or the other. I have a feeling it will vary with music type, or maybe not...
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

At least your girlfriend didn’t have a DAC
  • treitz3
    Options
    I hope you start feeling better, Bill. You have had this for some time now...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

BTW, that little cheap amp stand, along with the other isolation things I did made more of a difference than I had originally thought. I like what I heard at first but the more I have listened to songs I am familiar with? The more I notice just how much of a positive change this made.

I would say that the biggest change is that it makes the music more fluid. Like there is an "ease" to the music now. Many selections are clearer now and there is less of a digital glare/edge. What a pleasant surprise!

Tom