Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,524
Just purchased one of these off a popular auction site. I have a CD player acquisition "problem". Photos from the ad:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Given the age of the player, I'm excited at what appears to be the almost mint condition it's in. I'll post up some photos of my own once it arrives. Apparently these are pretty rare, with only 7,000 units made according to one site I read.

Stereophile review: https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1103tjoeb/index.html

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for "6922-style" tubes to roll in it?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Mullard 10m matched pair.
    Call Brent Jesse he has many..
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Nice spinner. Brent Jesse helped me too.
  • Clipdat
    $300 per pair, eh? That's more than I just paid for the player, haha!
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

• Clipdat
    I just got a message from the seller that said he's going to throw in an extra 2 "JAN 6922" tubes for me. I think he means these: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/6922-jan-philips
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    You can also hit up some of the Tube Guru's here. They may have something that fits your budget.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Clipdat wrote: »

You could go this route, these aren't to bad

Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Gold Pin Tube
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    national matsushita 7dj8 $35 upscale audio
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Thanks Marvin. The description sounds interesting, I'll look into them!
    marvda1 wrote: »
    national matsushita 7dj8 $35 upscale audio

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,271
    Woh, tubes and toroid?!?
    Nice.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2018
    JAN just means joint army navy many tube makers made jan tubes.
    Look into brent jesse i was just giving a reference. Brent has many tubes priced low to high.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks Ivan. I guess it's a mystery then to which JAN tubes he's sending. I'll have to wait and see.

Once I get it and verify basic functionality, I'll give Brent a call and talk tubes. :)
    JAN just means joint army navy many tube makers made jan tubes.
    Look into brent jesse i was just giving a reference. Brent has many tubes priced low to high.

• Clipdat
    I know! I can't wait to break it in with some Mazzy Star!
    msg wrote: »
    Woh, tubes and toroid?!?
    Nice.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    These are really nice players. I had one years ago with the upsampler option. Njoy!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,271
    I know! I can't wait to break it in with some Mazzy Star!
    Ssson of a... biscuit eater

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2

To be fair i have bought tubes for my tube buffer that cost many times the price of the buffer itself.
  • Clipdat
    Nice! Do you think the $350 upsampler board is worth it over the standard setup?
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    These are really nice players. I had one years ago with the upsampler option. Njoy!

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Look into:

Vintage Tube Services

Brent Jesse Recording

Tube World

Personally, I wouldn't give Upscale AUdio my business based on Mr. Deal's attitude issues.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Not very familiar with that paticular unit, but, I'm thinking it's going to be a nice piece to play with. Get it up and running and give it some time as is and then reassess. Get a good baseline before starting the tube rolling. If tube rolling doesn't get you where you want to be, well, start ripping the innards out! Seriously though, I'd give it some time before considering upgrades as they may not be needed.

Looking forward to your take on it.
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    Well it arrived today so I got it unboxed and it's playing currently. Seems to work just fine. I took a bunch of photos of the player and the extra tubes that were included. Looks to be in pretty good condition for it's age!

I was trying to identify what tubes were installed in it. It looks like they say "Gold Lion" or something in cursive yellow writing, and say W GERMANY. I tried to remove one so I could get a better photo of the cursive writing, but it promptly wiped right off on my finger in the process. Der duh der.

alxpzb1xtgs9.jpg
    zkt9j8pgroxh.jpg
    rs85c9d6p8px.jpg
    dyxicfqw3ety.jpg
    8k1iq4le4arj.jpg
    4nxd4f2z7hhi.jpg
    kf65pcmcjkc3.jpg
    74nboo7ytfcp.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Why does it have more capacitors than a lot of receivers have? Man, that's a lot of power storage!!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,028
    edited June 2018
    Don't skimp on the tubes. Those are mediocre tubes. I woudn't walk across the street to get those Jan Philips tubes, for free.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Same reason this has so many?

AMP-Explosion-Front-Mono-1400.jpg
    Tony M wrote: »
    Why does it have more capacitors than a lot of receivers have? Man, that's a lot of power storage!!

Thanks for the tip on the JAN Philips tubes! Any idea about the yellow text printed tubes that came preinstalled? Do you know what they are?
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Don't skimp on the tubes. Those are mediocre tubes. I woudn't walk across the street to get those Jan Philips tubes, for free.

H9

• halo
    Drew,

Andy @ Vintage Tube Services shows the Matsushita 6DJ8 tubes on his "Stock list." I had a set of these from him in the past and they do sound very good, especially at their price point. The stock list is not up to date so the inventory or the prices may have changed but it doesn't hurt to call and chat with Andy; he really knows his stuff.

ospj036fizli.png
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    edited June 2018
    SCompRacer wrote: »

What was your next move after this CDP? Was it a CDP + DAC or did you go with a different tube CDP? I cannot recall.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    These players enjoyed near "legendary" status in their day. Enjoy.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited June 2018

My guess is --
    That's a space effective way to get appropriate capacitance for HV (relative to soiled state) DC in a small (at least vertically) space. SS working voltages are typically pretty low -- even small-signal tubes (like the 6922 in the piece in question) will require fairly high plate voltages for best results.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited June 2018
    Nice! Do you think the $350 upsampler board is worth it over the standard setup?

It was a worthwhile upgrade IMO. Really helped the midrange. The 'New Tube' design was a successful attempt at a more analog sounding CD player.
    halo wrote: »

What was your next move after this CDP? Was it a CDP + DAC or did you go with a different tube CDP? I cannot recall.

IIRC a ModWright Sony 999ES with tube output, then a ModWright 9100ES with tube output. After that it was DIY. A single, then dual mono, Twisted Pear Buffalo III ESS9018 DAC with discrete balanced out. It still sounds very, very good.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,028
    edited June 2018
    Hard to tell based on the photo's. I only know a little about the 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes. Never had gear that ran those, so never really bothered to learn much beyond the basics.

The yellow label tubes appear to be "A" frames which means it's mostly likely a Dutch Philips made tube (not the same Philips as the blue label ECG's). I see made in Germany and possibly a set of grayish acid codes???

The blue label ECG's most likely made in the mid 80's aren't that terrible unless you compare to the 60's tubes. So my statement was a bit over the top for emphasis. If your serious about getting tube experience the ECG's simply won't do.

The better 6DJ8/6922's are a bit pricey. These were never intended for audio. They were adapted for audio use later on, mostly in pre-amps. The first 6DJ8 wasn't even produced until 1957 by Dutch Philips strictly as UHF/VHF component. Later found to be excellent used in oscilloscopes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Same reason this has so many?

AMP-Explosion-Front-Mono-1400.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the JAN Philips tubes! Any idea about the yellow text printed tubes that came preinstalled? Do you know what they are?
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

Why do you not answer my question and also at the same time post a picture of something (what the heck is it? Is it an integrated amp? ) that's not a CD player to compare with your Cd player?

Thank you, @mhardy6647 for trying to explain the reason for those multitude of capacitors being in a CD player. I can relate since Cd players that don't have a tube or tubes don't have 1/10 of them, I don't think.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.