Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Listening to this player again and continuing to be impressed.

If nothing else, it's worth buying one of these on sight just to experience for yourself the great stereo imaging it has. So very nice! :)

You got a good one there Drew. May be time to give it a dedicated shelf on your SolidSteel audio rack!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    Drew, that's nothing compared to a good tubed pre-amp. Glad you're enjoying dipping your toes in the world of the ancient glass bottle.

Soon it's time to hit the next level of the rabbit hole! >:)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I agree man. I've been researching tube preamps for a while now. There's several interesting designs and implementations of various tubes that I've come across.

Unfortunately it's not a good time for me to buy any gear right now due to being in the process of getting laid off, but maybe when I land a new job I will finally get one for myself!
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Soon it's time to hit the next level of the rabbit hole! >:)

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    No hurry enjoy the cdp and good luck with the job hunt. I will tell you though as Murphy's Law, the best deals come up when you don't have $$$. LOL. :D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I will tell you though as Murphy's Law, the best deals come up when you don't have $$$. LOL. :D

H9

Ain't that the TRUTH !!!

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Glad you got to a time in your life that you can LOVE the sound that comes from your personally designed system. B) Isn't it elating! B)
    8lnd6xdgw8y7.jpg
    I also hope you find a new job quickly or get the unemployment bennies coming in quick while you continue your search.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks Tony. This is a real special player with a lot of personality!
  • Clipdat
    So I haven't used this player for the past week or two (getting ready to roll in the Siemens tubes though!) so it's powered off but plugged in, and I notice that occasionally I hear a relay click come from it randomly.

Sometimes in the middle of the night, sometimes afternoon. It seems random and only 2 or 3 relay clicks per 12-24 hour period.

I'm not concerned (should I be?) but just figured I'd mention it to see if anyone had any ideas regarding why it does this.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    Settle down, Drew.... No worries
  • Clipdat
    Not worried, just simply wondering why.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    One of my LSi’s subs did this for a long time, eventually I accidentally switched the plugs and the problem went away. I don’t know why, or how, but other than turning on and off, never clicked again. So maybe try a different outlet?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Worry, that's not usual.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Hm, I suppose I could physically unplug it between uses.
  • F1nut
    Better yet, figure out what's clicking and why.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I just did a few searches, and I couldn't find anyone else discussing it's relay clicking while powered off. Just a lot of other discussion about it's various relays.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited August 2018
    I recall a mute relay but that shouldn't operate if it's off. Maybe check with Upscale Audio. They were an importer and seller. They have experience with it.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Clipdat
    Hah, if I do that, they'll just tell me I should buy a PrimaLuna instead!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    Have Russ take a look at it....

yxcxnyn6i59b.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Have you (the OP) read Stereophile's review? You might find it interesting, if you haven't.
    Well, Rumpelstiltskin ain't my name, but would you believe me if I told you that all this is yours for a thousand bucks and change? A no-frills, basic version of the Dutch-made AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player costs $699. It's based on a player that Kevin Deal, of US importer Upscale Audio, tactfully calls an "OEM 4000"—it's a Marantz under the skin. This basically provides the case, front-panel display, drive mechanism, DAC, headphone jack, and remote control. The mystery unit is then substantially tweaked. Deal says this process begins with the replacement of the transistorized muting circuit with a mechanical relay and the stock clock with a low-jitter unit called a Supercrystal. An AC Noise Killer, in a small black box mounted near the AC cord, purportedly contributes to a slightly quieter midband response.
    [emphasis added]
    https://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1103tjoeb/index.html

TNT's review was pretty interesting, too.
    https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/tjoeb4000_e.html

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited August 2018
    Very good detective work!! ^^^^^^

Drew does have very sensitive ears doesn't he?

He just might be hearing that mechanical muting! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    I remember something about these clicking back when they were new -- although the TNT article seems to draw the opposite conclusion (that the Ah! mods removed the stock player's click), so I am kind of perplexed. I may dig around a little more; it's kind of intriguing.
  • Clipdat
    Yes, I've read the reviews.

I hear a relay click upon powering the player on, and then also when powering it off. Additionally, a relay clicks upon the start of playing a CD immediately before the music starts.

None of the articles mention relays clicking when the unit is powered off.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Aha! (pun oh-so-intended) :)
    Dick Olsher's review in Enjoy the Music is pretty to the point, and - I think - explains my memory - it was the first generation Ah! Tjoeb '99 that was particularly clickish.
    As with the Tjoeb '99, the stock transistorized muting circuit has been disabled. A CD player needs to be muted occasionally, as there are places where very loud pops can occur. The Tjoeb uses a relay which is either in or out of the signal path. This costs more, but sounds better. The only downside with the Njoe Tjoeb is a soft click when the player is started, paused, or stopped. Gone are the clicks between tracks experienced with the Tjoeb '99.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0501/tjoeb4000.htm
  • F1nut
    edited August 2018
    This is the issue he is having. It clicks randomly when the player is not in use.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    This is the issue he is having. It clicks randomly when the player is not in use.

Yup, good to reiterate after my ramblin's (which weren't too helpful, unfortunately) -- but I was trying to refresh my memory on these.

Reading the reviews of the 4000 showed that its relay clicking is very well behaved -- I do think its precursor, the '99', was much clickier -- but, even then, I doubt (??) that it clicked turned "off" (i.e., in standby).

Clicking in off/standby does sound like something's amiss, all righty.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Just read this thread. What? 6 pages with no happy ending? What's up Drew? :smile: Finish the tale my man! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Haven't installed the Siemens tubes yet.

Not sure if that is what you are referring to.
  • verb
    What about the clicking issue? Did you get it resolved?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Ah! No. I did not take it anywhere to get evaluated/serviced, so it is what it is. It hasn't burst into flames yet, so I guess it's just another quirk of this unit!
  • verb
    Yeah I heard similar comments about the clicking. You gonna keep it?