Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

12426282930

Comments

  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    So far it looks like both the S50 and S55 do need a sub, whereas the S60 doesn’t....bummer. The S60s are outside of my budget anyways...guess I’ll stick with what I got for now. Its not that I want to go subless...I just saw the sale and was wondering about the performance of these...now I have an idea ;).

    The 60s need one the same as the 55s don't let anyone tell you different ..same size drivers.. One extra isn't going to give you much more bump.. Being where you live I would imagine you will be happy.. I just turned mine on full range.. Played some skrillex and couldn't believe it..

    I'm sorry but I've had both and the 55 digs ok but the 60 is a different beast. It isn't just the extra driver. The speaker itself is about twice the internal volume of the 55. The sheer size difference can be staggering if you haven't seen them side by side.

    There is more to a speaker than just the drivers.

    OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

    Just curious were they properly set up with good power or was it just in Best Buy? Cause that setup is terrible...

    And what setup is that..
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,182
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    So far it looks like both the S50 and S55 do need a sub, whereas the S60 doesn’t....bummer. The S60s are outside of my budget anyways...guess I’ll stick with what I got for now. Its not that I want to go subless...I just saw the sale and was wondering about the performance of these...now I have an idea ;).

    The 60s need one the same as the 55s don't let anyone tell you different ..same size drivers.. One extra isn't going to give you much more bump.. Being where you live I would imagine you will be happy.. I just turned mine on full range.. Played some skrillex and couldn't believe it..

    I'm sorry but I've had both and the 55 digs ok but the 60 is a different beast. It isn't just the extra driver. The speaker itself is about twice the internal volume of the 55. The sheer size difference can be staggering if you haven't seen them side by side.

    There is more to a speaker than just the drivers.

    OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

    Just curious were they properly set up with good power or was it just in Best Buy? Cause that setup is terrible...

    And what setup is that..

    uh...the one in Best Buy...
    Living Room 2.1: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Musical Fidelity A308; NAD M51 DAC; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 700 x3; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    sq4nqgiei6ud.jpg
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 9,638
    Might want to consider some isolation stands/pads for the speakers. Generally you don't want speakers to be resting on the same surface that your TT is on.
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Might want to consider some isolation stands/pads for the speakers. Generally you don't want speakers to be resting on the same surface that your TT is on.
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

    I wish I had room for stands.. But there is no interference and most of the bass goes to my sub..soinds wonderful
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,612
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Might want to consider some isolation stands/pads for the speakers. Generally you don't want speakers to be resting on the same surface that your TT is on.
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

    I wish I had room for stands.. But there is no interference and most of the bass goes to my sub..soinds wonderful

    Still, you may want something to decouple the S20 speakers from the surface like these or these.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,612
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

    We all hear things differently and your opinion as to what you heard is valid. However, I would agree with @DSkip on this as I believe that the S60 puts out more bass and a wider spectrum of sound compared to that of the S55.
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    halo wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

    We all hear things differently and your opinion as to what you heard is valid. However, I would agree with @DSkip on this as I believe that the S60 puts out more bass and a wider spectrum of sound compared to that of the S55.

    Everyone's ears are different..I had the 60s in my living room same spot my 55s are.. Planned on using the 55s for rears I talked about doing this earlier in this thread.. After a week I returned the 60s as they where not worth the extra cash.. They had a little more punch I would say but just didn't make that much difference.. Now that being said I have a small room.. Maby a bigger room speakers wider apart someone will see a big difference wider Soundstage.. As for the guy asking in a smaller condo that's my opinion..
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,182
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

    We all hear things differently and your opinion as to what you heard is valid. However, I would agree with @DSkip on this as I believe that the S60 puts out more bass and a wider spectrum of sound compared to that of the S55.

    Everyone's ears are different..I had the 60s in my living room same spot my 55s are.. Planned on using the 55s for rears I talked about doing this earlier in this thread.. After a week I returned the 60s as they where not worth the extra cash.. They had a little more punch I would say but just didn't make that much difference.. Now that being said I have a small room.. Maby a bigger room speakers wider apart someone will see a big difference wider Soundstage.. As for the guy asking in a smaller condo that's my opinion..

    Interesting. What are you powering with (sorry if you oh alreaud stated)?
    Living Room 2.1: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Musical Fidelity A308; NAD M51 DAC; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 700 x3; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,742
    edited June 2018
    My experience, S60's driven with my the Halo A23 (125w) Meh. Same speaker driven with the Anthem 225 integrated (225W).....Yeah.

    I am sure it all comes down to the difference in Amperage between the 2 amps.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

    There are three things that give a man a false sense of courage, a keyboard, alcohol and a firearm.
    Motorhead, 4.12.20

    Tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    the substitution of politics for existence is the supreme betrayal of the subjective otherness of man.
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

    We all hear things differently and your opinion as to what you heard is valid. However, I would agree with @DSkip on this as I believe that the S60 puts out more bass and a wider spectrum of sound compared to that of the S55.

    Everyone's ears are different..I had the 60s in my living room same spot my 55s are.. Planned on using the 55s for rears I talked about doing this earlier in this thread.. After a week I returned the 60s as they where not worth the extra cash.. They had a little more punch I would say but just didn't make that much difference.. Now that being said I have a small room.. Maby a bigger room speakers wider apart someone will see a big difference wider Soundstage.. As for the guy asking in a smaller condo that's my opinion..

    Interesting. What are you powering with (sorry if you oh alreaud stated)?

    Just a standard avr 90per.. The 55s don't need more.. Maybe the 60s do I don't really know.. Thanks for the advice I ordered the Adam hall will see if it makes a difference..
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Got rid of my amp after I got rid of the power hungry a9s.. Put it on the 55s and was no need for it..
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,612
    Ctxx24 wrote: »

    Everyone's ears are different..I had the 60s in my living room same spot my 55s are.. Planned on using the 55s for rears I talked about doing this earlier in this thread.. After a week I returned the 60s as they where not worth the extra cash.. They had a little more punch I would say but just didn't make that much difference.. Now that being said I have a small room.. Maby a bigger room speakers wider apart someone will see a big difference wider Soundstage.. As for the guy asking in a smaller condo that's my opinion..

    Having different speakers in the same spot and expecting different results may also have been an issue. Speaker placement is a critical step in getting the most out of a pair of speakers as this determines how the speakers interact with your room's acoustic properties.
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    I don't need to look at anything further I love my speakers.. I have gotten bashed because people think I'm crazy I like these over my a9s or the 60s as a matter of fact..
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,612
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    I don't need to look at anything further I love my speakers.. I have gotten bashed because people think I'm crazy I like these over my a9s or the 60s as a matter of fact..

    Nope. No bashing on my part. More like a difference in my findings compared to yours. As I said initially, we all hear things differently and that is perfectly fine. If you’re happy with the sound you’re getting from the S55’s then that’s cool. I still prefer the S60’s and I’ll say that to anyone who asks because that’s been my experience.
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    halo wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    I don't need to look at anything further I love my speakers.. I have gotten bashed because people think I'm crazy I like these over my a9s or the 60s as a matter of fact..

    Nope. No bashing on my part. More like a difference in my findings compared to yours. As I said initially, we all hear things differently and that is perfectly fine. If you’re happy with the sound you’re getting from the S55’s then that’s cool. I still prefer the S60’s and I’ll say that to anyone who asks because that’s been my experience.
    No not anyone here man.. Just in general on different boards..
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,378
    edited June 2018
    Here is how good the Signature line is.

    Had a family get together this afternoon. My uncle a retired Navy Captain was here. We had on Harry Potter on for the kids. My uncle was saying how he likes the sound of my system. Once the movie was over I put on some Simon and Garfunkel. he got a glass of wine and sat back, my other uncle and one aunt joined him. About a 1/2 hour later he asked how much were the speakers. He said I had to pay at least $2k for them. I told him about the Adorama deal I got. I then gave him a good demo or the S20 in the bedroom, once again he was impressed. He said when he gets back home he will be looking for a pair.

    These Signatures are a darn good speaker that continues to impress.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    Many thanks to all of you for your insight :). I do live in an older condo ( built in the 70s lol) so I assume its well-insulated ( it survived hurricane Irma..so thats sayin’ something Imo ). I saw a really good price on the S55s ( a little over 200 each :) ) from a reputable online retailer that I’ve purchased items from the past...so I bit the bullet and ordered a pair...couldn’t pass on it. If worse comes to worse, I got 60 days to return if they are not to my liking.

    Let us know..

    I got the S55s in friday night, but wasn't able to hook them up until early evening yesterday...I think the size is just right ;). Will test them out later and let you guys know my first impressions...a7q24ny9p8df.jpeg
    f0j0707fmbr4.jpeg


    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,414
    Congrats, I look forward to reading your impressions.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
    Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the S35 with the 3” drivers, so I got the S30 instead...plus it costs less ;) . I’m happy with it too.

    My first impressions of the 55s...they are a great sounding speaker. With music, they have good dynamics and soundstaging/imaging...better than the S15s I was using ( guess that could be expected lol ). As for bass...it is tight, clean with good detail/clarity...and ample enough to not need a sub IMO music (at least in my setup). With movies, the bass actually creates a “tactile” feel...explosions and such have actual “impact” ( not room shaking, but enough to be felt ). As for depth, they can reach as low as 30hz with usable output ( again, not room shaking, but definitely present ). The dual PSW 108s I was using achieved this as well with noticable more output ( not significantly more ), but with less control and definition...noticeably more muddy and sloppy.

    Can the S55s be used without a sub/subs? IMO, in an apartment/condo setting,you can get away with not using subs. They can create an acceptable “tactile” experience, with enough usable depth to not take too much away from movie soundtracks.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 45,869
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    sq4nqgiei6ud.jpg
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

    A few suggestions. Pull the bookcases out from the wall as far as you can without it looking stupid. Then pull the speakers as close to the front edge as possible. Toe in the speakers so you can just see the inside panel from your seat. This is a must do, isolate the speakers from the bookcases. Something as simple and cheap as 1/2" rubber bumpers will work.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    felipe wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
    Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the S35 with the 3” drivers, so I got the S30 instead...plus it costs less ;) . I’m happy with it too.

    My first impressions of the 55s...they are a great sounding speaker. With music, they have good dynamics and soundstaging/imaging...better than the S15s I was using ( guess that could be expected lol ). As for bass...it is tight, clean with good detail/clarity...and ample enough to not need a sub IMO music (at least in my setup). With movies, the bass actually creates a “tactile” feel...explosions and such have actual “impact” ( not room shaking, but enough to be felt ). As for depth, they can reach as low as 30hz with usable output ( again, not room shaking, but definitely present ). The dual PSW 108s I was using achieved this as well with noticable more output ( not significantly more ), but with less control and definition...noticeably more muddy and sloppy.

    Can the S55s be used without a sub/subs? IMO, in an apartment/condo setting,you can get away with not using subs. They can create an acceptable “tactile” experience, with enough usable depth to not take too much away from movie soundtracks.

    Awesome glad ya like em.. I think they are great also they look good.. Your setup looks good..
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    sq4nqgiei6ud.jpg
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

    A few suggestions. Pull the bookcases out from the wall as far as you can without it looking stupid. Then pull the speakers as close to the front edge as possible. Toe in the speakers so you can just see the inside panel from your seat. This is a must do, isolate the speakers from the bookcases. Something as simple and cheap as 1/2" rubber bumpers will work.

    Thanks I orders some foam things for them to sit on and try be here today..
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,612
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    I don't use a receiver but I think you can get something lower in the SIgnature line if you are incorporating subwoofers. In this way, the "main" speakers are only producing frequencies above 60Hz or 80Hz, depending on where you set the crossover in your AVR.

    For example, I used bookshelf speakers in my HT setup for many years as they were paired with an SVS subwoofer. The SVS handled all the bass and low mid-bass while the bookshelf speakers provided the mid-bass and treble. The pairing was brilliant and fairly inexpensive, all things considered. You may need speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers, which will add to the cost. So, whichever speakers will cost the least (floorstanding Signature series like the S50) or bookshelf speakers + speakers stands (like the S15 or S20 + stands) is the way I would go.

    Hope that helps as any AVR should do a decent job of driving these speakers, especially if the heavy lifting is handled by a powered sub or two powered subs.

    Is your main interest watching movies & TV or listening to music? What's the ratio?
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    Are you looking at the 35 for space reasons? If not I think the 30 is better at least if your using it for a good amount of home theater.. There isn't much punch with the small drivers in it.. These speakers all run fine with a standard avr.. Not like the rtis that need power
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    kadetime wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    Are you looking at the 35 for space reasons? If not I think the 30 is better at least if your using it for a good amount of home theater.. There isn't much punch with the small drivers in it.. These speakers all run fine with a standard avr.. Not like the rtis that need power

    Ctxx,

    I like the look of it a lot, that was my main reason and i thought since they have all this drivers they would outperform the s30 i guess i could be wrong.

    if not for space or look is the s30 better then the s35 as a center channel?

    Thanks for your time and the response Ctxx

    I have not owned them but did hear them in a shop room.. I don't think they sound much different for the highs.. But they definitely outshined with lows even though the center speaker is mainly dialogue I still prefer it..
  • firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    I am using an s30 with s60 surrounds and I have really enjoyed the sound from all three. Got all three on sale and think they are wonderful speakers. All my friends think my home theatre sounds incredible lol
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,378
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    More power is always better :) I'd go with the RX-A10XX series AVR. It will allow you to expand latter on. Or you can look into Marantz SR60XX or Denon AVR-X3300 and up series.

    S30 is a very good center speaker, I liked mine but my TV stand was made for the bigger CSi5/CSiA6 speaker.

    Skip is right on about the S20 being BIG. I use mine as main speakers in the bedroom setup. I do think they are too big for surrounds. I would look at S10 or S15. If budget allows two S35 would make a good surround.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    mrloren wrote: »
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    More power is always better :) I'd go with the RX-A10XX series AVR. It will allow you to expand latter on. Or you can look into Marantz SR60XX or Denon AVR-X3300 and up series.

    S30 is a very good center speaker, I liked mine but my TV stand was made for the bigger CSi5/CSiA6 speaker.

    Skip is right on about the S20 being BIG. I use mine as main speakers in the bedroom setup. I do think they are too big for surrounds. I would look at S10 or S15. If budget allows two S35 would make a good surround.

    Hell the s15 is pretty big if you don't have a huge living room.. Mine look like tanks hanging on the wall..
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!