• firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    Running all mine through Denon avrx 3300 and works great
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
    Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the S35 with the 3” drivers, so I got the S30 instead...plus it costs less ;) . I’m happy with it too.

My first impressions of the 55s...they are a great sounding speaker. With music, they have good dynamics and soundstaging/imaging...better than the S15s I was using ( guess that could be expected lol ). As for bass...it is tight, clean with good detail/clarity...and ample enough to not need a sub IMO music (at least in my setup). With movies, the bass actually creates a “tactile” feel...explosions and such have actual “impact” ( not room shaking, but enough to be felt ). As for depth, they can reach as low as 30hz with usable output ( again, not room shaking, but definitely present ). The dual PSW 108s I was using achieved this as well with noticable more output ( not significantly more ), but with less control and definition...noticeably more muddy and sloppy.

Can the S55s be used without a sub/subs? IMO, in an apartment/condo setting,you can get away with not using subs. They can create an acceptable “tactile” experience, with enough usable depth to not take too much away from movie soundtracks.

Awesome glad ya like em.. I think they are great also they look good.. Your setup looks good..
    Thanks Ctxx24...they sound great too ;)

Hey kadetime...I’m running S55s S30 center S15 surrounds and S10 heights on my Onkyo AVR...seems to power them just fine ;), but like mrloren said...more power is always better lol. In other words, go with the most watts you can afford...couldn’t hurt ;)
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    I just want to comment on how good these S55s are. Let’s just say that I’m not missing my subs at all! Sure, the S55s dont dig to “ real subwoofer” depths, but what bass they do produce is powerful yet very natural sounding...they only play what’s there ( within their limits of course ). Of course,I’m coming from PSW108s...the bottom of the barrel sub. I can only imagine how they will sound with an SVS or HSU...out of my reach unfortunately ( and no space...unless I go with SB1000s lol :p )
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    I just want to comment on how good these S55s are. Let’s just say that I’m not missing my subs at all! Sure, the S55s dont dig to “ real subwoofer” depths, but what bass they do produce is powerful yet very natural sounding...they only play what’s there ( within their limits of course ). Of course,I’m coming from PSW108s...the bottom of the barrel sub. I can only imagine how they will sound with an SVS or HSU...out of my reach unfortunately ( and no space...unless I go with SB1000s lol :p )

Don't get a 1000 lol save for a hsu..
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449

Don't get a 1000 lol save for a hsu..

A HSH VTF-1 is a darn good sub, @400 hard to beat. and ULS15 is small but will pack a nice punch.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • felipe
    I can’t believe I did this...but this am I pulled the trigger and ordered S60s :o . It was a deal I couldn’t pass up...not much more $ than the S55s I got. From what I’ve read about these and what a few here have stated, I won’t be disappointed.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^good move.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • firsttimer
    I can’t believe I did this...but this am I pulled the trigger and ordered S60s :o . It was a deal I couldn’t pass up...not much more $ than the S55s I got. From what I’ve read about these and what a few here have stated, I won’t be disappointed.

Let us know your thoughts when you get them
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

Very B) man. I think you'll be pleased :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    looks great. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
  • felipe
    ^^good move.
    halo wrote: »

Very B) man. I think you'll be pleased :)

Motorhead and halo...you nailed it ;) . I know I said that with the 55s I didn’t miss my subs. Now, having the 60s in the front and the 55s in the rear, not only do I not miss the subs, I don’t really need or want subs! To test these, I watched Interstellar, WOTW and EoT and these 60s did not disappoint...definitely more low-end output than the 55s..more tactile and goes noticably deeper in the frequency range. I would have to agree with the people that say with the 60s a sub is not required :) .

With having the 55s as rears, I was kinda weary that my AVR wouldn’t have the juice, but as far as I can tell it’s doing just fine...got the 55s crossed over at 40Hz. Im glad I got these 60s for the price I paid...thanks to all who recommended them to me :) .

• halo

Motorhead and halo...you nailed it ;) . I know I said that with the 55s I didn’t miss my subs. Now, having the 60s in the front and the 55s in the rear, not only do I not miss the subs, I don’t really need or want subs! To test these, I watched Interstellar, WOTW and EoT and these 60s did not disappoint...definitely more low-end output than the 55s..more tactile and goes noticably deeper in the frequency range. I would have to agree with the people that say with the 60s a sub is not required :) .

With having the 55s as rears, I was kinda weary that my AVR wouldn’t have the juice, but as far as I can tell it’s doing just fine...got the 55s crossed over at 40Hz. Im glad I got these 60s for the price I paid...thanks to all who recommended them to me :) .

Glad you are liking them! I haven't heard a pair of front speakers that can take the place of a dedicated, self-powered, sub in a HT. The powered sub will alleviate the load your AVR is trying to handle all by its lonesome. For 2-channel music, I think the S60s do a great job. My current HT is also only my 2-channel setup so I have no complaints there but, I live in an apartment and I try to be respectful of my neighbors. If I lived in a house, I'd have a sub, or two, playing along with the S60s to cover the lowest octaves which the S60s cannot reproduce on their own.

Enjoy!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • firsttimer
    I run my two s60 with two subs, loved my them
  • firsttimer
    Loving them damn spell check
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    edited July 2018
    6evy54e1t50v.jpg
    Not near the setup most of you have, but here's a picture of my S55's, S30, 505 sub and my RX-A2070. I hope to get a better sub by the first of the year.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    That's a tasteful room.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Milito
    Thanks, I just wish it was a little wider as I really don't have room for 2 subs. If I put one to the right of the right speaker it would be too small a space to walk thru the entrance to the hall.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • halo
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's a tasteful room.
    Agree!
    Milito wrote: »
    6evy54e1t50v.jpg
    Not near the setup most of you have, but here's a picture of my S55's, S30, 505 sub and my RX-A2070. I hope to get a better sub by the first of the year.
    Very nice looking room and well proportioned for speaker placement (neither of the front speakers is too close to the side walls). As for having dual subs, look into the cylinder subs from SVS (small footprint with BIG sound).

twbff796qcme.png

https://svsound.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy_XaBRAWEiwApfjKHupTbz4ybD2aHELrkEY3EyWvUqUCgICRNi1ffziL84hN94W7EIbpvhoCC5cQAvD_BwE
  • Milito
    edited July 2018
    What you don't see in the picture is on the right side of the room at the other end of the sofa are stairs and the room opens up to them. So both side aren't the same.

My wife already didn't like the taller speakers I bought when she was out of town (better to ask forgiveness after the buying them than asking if she would mind if I got them) so I don't think I need to try my luck with taller sub woofers. Although she did admit S55's sounded better.

I probably get a Monoprice 10" when they get back in stock or a VTF-2 MK5. Not a fan of the 505 I have now.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    edited July 2018
    What you don't see in the picture is on the right side of the room at the other end of the sofa are stairs and the room opens up to them. So both side aren't the same.

My wife already didn't like the taller speakers I bought when she was out of town (better to ask forgiveness after the buying them than asking if she would mind if I got them) so I don't think I need to try my luck with taller sub woofers. Although she did admit S55's sounded better.

I probably get a Monoprice 10" when they get back in stock or a VTF-2 MK5. Not a fan of the 505 I have now.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

definitely get that HSU! Established sub, a bunch of us have had a similar model and loved it. I had an older VTF-3r and it was the best combo (music and movies) sub that I ever had. I traded it for my current SVS (which is a close second) only because it was front firing and fit in my built ins. The wife definitely likes that...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    ^^^^AGREE 100%^^^^

The HSU is an awesome sub. I have a VTF3 and love it. It replaced a VTF2MK2 which did extremely well.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Milito
    Has anyone on here tried the Monolith 10 THX?
  • Ctxx24
    Has anyone on here tried the Monolith 10 THX?

Not the 10 but the 12 and 15 are amazing..
  • mrloren
    I would take the HSU any day over the Monoprice stuff. Look at the pricing differences on top your getting more proven sub with the HSU

12" HSU VTF2MK5 is $539
    12" Monoprice is $799

So for the price of a 12" Monoprice sub you could get the VTF3MK5 and hear your dishes rattle.

All my HSU subs have blended well with my Signatures. VTF2MK2 did well with my S60 and the VTF3MK5 does wonders. My S20's I have paired with a STF2 that blends perfect.
  • Ctxx24
    The mono price 15 is very close to a 16 ultra for almost half the price...no way I would consider the the svs... If it wasent for their warranties and trade in.. Their stuff wouldn't sell like it does..
  • Ctxx24
    mrloren wrote: »
    I would take the HSU any day over the Monoprice stuff. Look at the pricing differences on top your getting more proven sub with the HSU

12" HSU VTF2MK5 is $539
    12" Monoprice is $799

So for the price of a 12" Monoprice sub you could get the VTF3MK5 and hear your dishes rattle.

All my HSU subs have blended well with my Signatures. VTF2MK2 did well with my S60 and the VTF3MK5 does wonders. My S20's I have paired with a STF2 that blends perfect.

That monoprice 12 will literally crush the vtf2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    edited July 2018
  • mrloren
    mrloren wrote: »

12" HSU VTF2MK5 is $539
    12" Monoprice is $799

That monoprice 12 will literally crush the vtf2

I would like to hear/see that. HSU are very good subs, so something in their price range to top it would be amazing.

I'm only stating my opinion, I've never had the chance to hear the Monoprice sub offerings. Till I do I will suggest HSU or SVS, proven deep clean bass that last.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    When you hear that Monoprice 12 literally crush the VTF2, your head will literally explode.