Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

12527293031

Comments

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    halo wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    I don't need to look at anything further I love my speakers.. I have gotten bashed because people think I'm crazy I like these over my a9s or the 60s as a matter of fact..

    Nope. No bashing on my part. More like a difference in my findings compared to yours. As I said initially, we all hear things differently and that is perfectly fine. If you’re happy with the sound you’re getting from the S55’s then that’s cool. I still prefer the S60’s and I’ll say that to anyone who asks because that’s been my experience.
    No not anyone here man.. Just in general on different boards..
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,332
    edited June 2018
    Here is how good the Signature line is.

    Had a family get together this afternoon. My uncle a retired Navy Captain was here. We had on Harry Potter on for the kids. My uncle was saying how he likes the sound of my system. Once the movie was over I put on some Simon and Garfunkel. he got a glass of wine and sat back, my other uncle and one aunt joined him. About a 1/2 hour later he asked how much were the speakers. He said I had to pay at least $2k for them. I told him about the Adorama deal I got. I then gave him a good demo or the S20 in the bedroom, once again he was impressed. He said when he gets back home he will be looking for a pair.

    These Signatures are a darn good speaker that continues to impress.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • felipefelipe Posts: 423
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    Many thanks to all of you for your insight :). I do live in an older condo ( built in the 70s lol) so I assume its well-insulated ( it survived hurricane Irma..so thats sayin’ something Imo ). I saw a really good price on the S55s ( a little over 200 each :) ) from a reputable online retailer that I’ve purchased items from the past...so I bit the bullet and ordered a pair...couldn’t pass on it. If worse comes to worse, I got 60 days to return if they are not to my liking.

    Let us know..

    I got the S55s in friday night, but wasn't able to hook them up until early evening yesterday...I think the size is just right ;). Will test them out later and let you guys know my first impressions...a7q24ny9p8df.jpeg
    f0j0707fmbr4.jpeg


    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,420
    Congrats, I look forward to reading your impressions.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
  • felipefelipe Posts: 423
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
    Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the S35 with the 3” drivers, so I got the S30 instead...plus it costs less ;) . I’m happy with it too.

    My first impressions of the 55s...they are a great sounding speaker. With music, they have good dynamics and soundstaging/imaging...better than the S15s I was using ( guess that could be expected lol ). As for bass...it is tight, clean with good detail/clarity...and ample enough to not need a sub IMO music (at least in my setup). With movies, the bass actually creates a “tactile” feel...explosions and such have actual “impact” ( not room shaking, but enough to be felt ). As for depth, they can reach as low as 30hz with usable output ( again, not room shaking, but definitely present ). The dual PSW 108s I was using achieved this as well with noticable more output ( not significantly more ), but with less control and definition...noticeably more muddy and sloppy.

    Can the S55s be used without a sub/subs? IMO, in an apartment/condo setting,you can get away with not using subs. They can create an acceptable “tactile” experience, with enough usable depth to not take too much away from movie soundtracks.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,183
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    sq4nqgiei6ud.jpg
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

    A few suggestions. Pull the bookcases out from the wall as far as you can without it looking stupid. Then pull the speakers as close to the front edge as possible. Toe in the speakers so you can just see the inside panel from your seat. This is a must do, isolate the speakers from the bookcases. Something as simple and cheap as 1/2" rubber bumpers will work.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    felipe wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
    Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the S35 with the 3” drivers, so I got the S30 instead...plus it costs less ;) . I’m happy with it too.

    My first impressions of the 55s...they are a great sounding speaker. With music, they have good dynamics and soundstaging/imaging...better than the S15s I was using ( guess that could be expected lol ). As for bass...it is tight, clean with good detail/clarity...and ample enough to not need a sub IMO music (at least in my setup). With movies, the bass actually creates a “tactile” feel...explosions and such have actual “impact” ( not room shaking, but enough to be felt ). As for depth, they can reach as low as 30hz with usable output ( again, not room shaking, but definitely present ). The dual PSW 108s I was using achieved this as well with noticable more output ( not significantly more ), but with less control and definition...noticeably more muddy and sloppy.

    Can the S55s be used without a sub/subs? IMO, in an apartment/condo setting,you can get away with not using subs. They can create an acceptable “tactile” experience, with enough usable depth to not take too much away from movie soundtracks.

    Awesome glad ya like em.. I think they are great also they look good.. Your setup looks good..
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    sq4nqgiei6ud.jpg
    Loving my 20s on my turntable sounds great..

    A few suggestions. Pull the bookcases out from the wall as far as you can without it looking stupid. Then pull the speakers as close to the front edge as possible. Toe in the speakers so you can just see the inside panel from your seat. This is a must do, isolate the speakers from the bookcases. Something as simple and cheap as 1/2" rubber bumpers will work.

    Thanks I orders some foam things for them to sit on and try be here today..
  • halohalo Posts: 5,598
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    I don't use a receiver but I think you can get something lower in the SIgnature line if you are incorporating subwoofers. In this way, the "main" speakers are only producing frequencies above 60Hz or 80Hz, depending on where you set the crossover in your AVR.

    For example, I used bookshelf speakers in my HT setup for many years as they were paired with an SVS subwoofer. The SVS handled all the bass and low mid-bass while the bookshelf speakers provided the mid-bass and treble. The pairing was brilliant and fairly inexpensive, all things considered. You may need speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers, which will add to the cost. So, whichever speakers will cost the least (floorstanding Signature series like the S50) or bookshelf speakers + speakers stands (like the S15 or S20 + stands) is the way I would go.

    Hope that helps as any AVR should do a decent job of driving these speakers, especially if the heavy lifting is handled by a powered sub or two powered subs.

    Is your main interest watching movies & TV or listening to music? What's the ratio?
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    Are you looking at the 35 for space reasons? If not I think the 30 is better at least if your using it for a good amount of home theater.. There isn't much punch with the small drivers in it.. These speakers all run fine with a standard avr.. Not like the rtis that need power
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    kadetime wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    Are you looking at the 35 for space reasons? If not I think the 30 is better at least if your using it for a good amount of home theater.. There isn't much punch with the small drivers in it.. These speakers all run fine with a standard avr.. Not like the rtis that need power

    Ctxx,

    I like the look of it a lot, that was my main reason and i thought since they have all this drivers they would outperform the s30 i guess i could be wrong.

    if not for space or look is the s30 better then the s35 as a center channel?

    Thanks for your time and the response Ctxx

    I have not owned them but did hear them in a shop room.. I don't think they sound much different for the highs.. But they definitely outshined with lows even though the center speaker is mainly dialogue I still prefer it..
  • firsttimerfirsttimer Posts: 87
    I am using an s30 with s60 surrounds and I have really enjoyed the sound from all three. Got all three on sale and think they are wonderful speakers. All my friends think my home theatre sounds incredible lol
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,332
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    More power is always better :) I'd go with the RX-A10XX series AVR. It will allow you to expand latter on. Or you can look into Marantz SR60XX or Denon AVR-X3300 and up series.

    S30 is a very good center speaker, I liked mine but my TV stand was made for the bigger CSi5/CSiA6 speaker.

    Skip is right on about the S20 being BIG. I use mine as main speakers in the bedroom setup. I do think they are too big for surrounds. I would look at S10 or S15. If budget allows two S35 would make a good surround.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    mrloren wrote: »
    kadetime wrote: »
    What all of you that have the Signature use as a Receiver? Looking to get the signature S60 S35 S20 and thinking about the Yamaha RX-A1070 or RX-A1080 or just the RX-780

    cant decide want to see what you all ado.

    Thanks in advance,

    More power is always better :) I'd go with the RX-A10XX series AVR. It will allow you to expand latter on. Or you can look into Marantz SR60XX or Denon AVR-X3300 and up series.

    S30 is a very good center speaker, I liked mine but my TV stand was made for the bigger CSi5/CSiA6 speaker.

    Skip is right on about the S20 being BIG. I use mine as main speakers in the bedroom setup. I do think they are too big for surrounds. I would look at S10 or S15. If budget allows two S35 would make a good surround.

    Hell the s15 is pretty big if you don't have a huge living room.. Mine look like tanks hanging on the wall..
  • firsttimerfirsttimer Posts: 87
    Running all mine through Denon avrx 3300 and works great
  • felipefelipe Posts: 423
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    Nice.. I see u got the 30 also I like mine alot..
    Yeah I was a bit skeptical about the S35 with the 3” drivers, so I got the S30 instead...plus it costs less ;) . I’m happy with it too.

    My first impressions of the 55s...they are a great sounding speaker. With music, they have good dynamics and soundstaging/imaging...better than the S15s I was using ( guess that could be expected lol ). As for bass...it is tight, clean with good detail/clarity...and ample enough to not need a sub IMO music (at least in my setup). With movies, the bass actually creates a “tactile” feel...explosions and such have actual “impact” ( not room shaking, but enough to be felt ). As for depth, they can reach as low as 30hz with usable output ( again, not room shaking, but definitely present ). The dual PSW 108s I was using achieved this as well with noticable more output ( not significantly more ), but with less control and definition...noticeably more muddy and sloppy.

    Can the S55s be used without a sub/subs? IMO, in an apartment/condo setting,you can get away with not using subs. They can create an acceptable “tactile” experience, with enough usable depth to not take too much away from movie soundtracks.

    Awesome glad ya like em.. I think they are great also they look good.. Your setup looks good..
    Thanks Ctxx24...they sound great too ;)

    Hey kadetime...I’m running S55s S30 center S15 surrounds and S10 heights on my Onkyo AVR...seems to power them just fine ;), but like mrloren said...more power is always better lol. In other words, go with the most watts you can afford...couldn’t hurt ;)
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • felipefelipe Posts: 423
    I just want to comment on how good these S55s are. Let’s just say that I’m not missing my subs at all! Sure, the S55s dont dig to “ real subwoofer” depths, but what bass they do produce is powerful yet very natural sounding...they only play what’s there ( within their limits of course ). Of course,I’m coming from PSW108s...the bottom of the barrel sub. I can only imagine how they will sound with an SVS or HSU...out of my reach unfortunately ( and no space...unless I go with SB1000s lol :p )
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    felipe wrote: »
    I just want to comment on how good these S55s are. Let’s just say that I’m not missing my subs at all! Sure, the S55s dont dig to “ real subwoofer” depths, but what bass they do produce is powerful yet very natural sounding...they only play what’s there ( within their limits of course ). Of course,I’m coming from PSW108s...the bottom of the barrel sub. I can only imagine how they will sound with an SVS or HSU...out of my reach unfortunately ( and no space...unless I go with SB1000s lol :p )

    Don't get a 1000 lol save for a hsu..
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,332
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    I just want to comment on how good these S55s are. Let’s just say that I’m not missing my subs at all! Sure, the S55s dont dig to “ real subwoofer” depths, but what bass they do produce is powerful yet very natural sounding...they only play what’s there ( within their limits of course ). Of course,I’m coming from PSW108s...the bottom of the barrel sub. I can only imagine how they will sound with an SVS or HSU...out of my reach unfortunately ( and no space...unless I go with SB1000s lol :p )

    Don't get a 1000 lol save for a hsu..

    A HSH VTF-1 is a darn good sub, @400 hard to beat. and ULS15 is small but will pack a nice punch.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • felipefelipe Posts: 423
    I can’t believe I did this...but this am I pulled the trigger and ordered S60s :o . It was a deal I couldn’t pass up...not much more $ than the S55s I got. From what I’ve read about these and what a few here have stated, I won’t be disappointed.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 3,771
    ^^good move.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    Other; S60'S, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

    There are three things that give a man a false sense of courage, a keyboard, alcohol and a firearm.
    Motorhead, 4.12.20

    tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    Social media makes dumb people dumber and smart people dumb and dumber.
  • firsttimerfirsttimer Posts: 87
    felipe wrote: »
    I can’t believe I did this...but this am I pulled the trigger and ordered S60s :o . It was a deal I couldn’t pass up...not much more $ than the S55s I got. From what I’ve read about these and what a few here have stated, I won’t be disappointed.

    Let us know your thoughts when you get them
  • halohalo Posts: 5,598
    felipe wrote: »
    I can’t believe I did this...but this am I pulled the trigger and ordered S60s :o . It was a deal I couldn’t pass up...not much more $ than the S55s I got. From what I’ve read about these and what a few here have stated, I won’t be disappointed.

    Very B) man. I think you'll be pleased :)
  • TopperDudeTopperDude Posts: 139
    looks great. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
  • felipefelipe Posts: 423
    ^^good move.
    halo wrote: »
    felipe wrote: »
    I can’t believe I did this...but this am I pulled the trigger and ordered S60s :o . It was a deal I couldn’t pass up...not much more $ than the S55s I got. From what I’ve read about these and what a few here have stated, I won’t be disappointed.

    Very B) man. I think you'll be pleased :)

    Motorhead and halo...you nailed it ;) . I know I said that with the 55s I didn’t miss my subs. Now, having the 60s in the front and the 55s in the rear, not only do I not miss the subs, I don’t really need or want subs! To test these, I watched Interstellar, WOTW and EoT and these 60s did not disappoint...definitely more low-end output than the 55s..more tactile and goes noticably deeper in the frequency range. I would have to agree with the people that say with the 60s a sub is not required :) .

    With having the 55s as rears, I was kinda weary that my AVR wouldn’t have the juice, but as far as I can tell it’s doing just fine...got the 55s crossed over at 40Hz. Im glad I got these 60s for the price I paid...thanks to all who recommended them to me :) .

    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

  • halohalo Posts: 5,598
    felipe wrote: »

    Motorhead and halo...you nailed it ;) . I know I said that with the 55s I didn’t miss my subs. Now, having the 60s in the front and the 55s in the rear, not only do I not miss the subs, I don’t really need or want subs! To test these, I watched Interstellar, WOTW and EoT and these 60s did not disappoint...definitely more low-end output than the 55s..more tactile and goes noticably deeper in the frequency range. I would have to agree with the people that say with the 60s a sub is not required :) .

    With having the 55s as rears, I was kinda weary that my AVR wouldn’t have the juice, but as far as I can tell it’s doing just fine...got the 55s crossed over at 40Hz. Im glad I got these 60s for the price I paid...thanks to all who recommended them to me :) .

    Glad you are liking them! I haven't heard a pair of front speakers that can take the place of a dedicated, self-powered, sub in a HT. The powered sub will alleviate the load your AVR is trying to handle all by its lonesome. For 2-channel music, I think the S60s do a great job. My current HT is also only my 2-channel setup so I have no complaints there but, I live in an apartment and I try to be respectful of my neighbors. If I lived in a house, I'd have a sub, or two, playing along with the S60s to cover the lowest octaves which the S60s cannot reproduce on their own.

    Enjoy!
  • firsttimerfirsttimer Posts: 87
    I run my two s60 with two subs, loved my them
  • firsttimerfirsttimer Posts: 87
    Loving them damn spell check
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!