4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Good news for us dinosaurs "stuck" with 1080p max, I guess; cost of regular BD titles should be getting even lower as time goes on! B)

There is the problem. Although Argo is a good movie, I already own it on Blu-Ray and even if I didn't I could get the Blu-Ray brand new today from Amazon for $5.86. The 4K version currently costs $44.95 on pre-order. I'm not sure I would repurchase it in the 4K format if it was down to below $20 given I already have the Blu-Ray version.

Sully is a new movie so not on Blu-Ray yet. I may buy that one when the price is probably cut to the real retail level of $25.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Emlyn wrote: »
    There is the problem. Although Argo is a good movie, I already own it on Blu-Ray and even if I didn't I could get the Blu-Ray brand new today from Amazon for $5.86. The 4K version currently costs $44.95 on pre-order. I'm not sure I would repurchase it in the 4K format if it was down to below $20 given I already have the Blu-Ray version.

Sully is a new movie so not on Blu-Ray yet. I may buy that one when the price is probably cut to the real retail level of $25.
    I had the same issue with DVDs when Bluray came out; I have close to 400 DVDs, and I swore I would not fall into the trap of replacing them. I did make the choice to buy Blurays if it's something I hadn't owned before, but that was it (unless I could get the BD version in the $5 bin...)
    Of course, I don't own a 4K UHD at present, so the decision is an easy one for now. But even so, my current setup has me seated about 15' away from the screen, and so I doubt getting a 4K will show much improvement anyway? I am also of the mindset that 4K is not the quantum leap ahead of Bluray that Bluray was to DVD... and even less than DVD was over VHS.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • I got a question for everyone;
    Where's the law that says YOU MUST REPLACE ALL OF YOUR DISCS WITH THE NEWEST,LATEST,HOTTEST TECHNOLOGY.
    I still have all of my Laserdiscs and DVD's. I just kept moving on with new titles with each new format. I never replaced anything. I also have my Blu-rays.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Eventually you run out of room for the VHS cassette, automatic rewind machine, laserdisc, Blu-ray, 4k Blu-ray, Roku, etc....

Notice I didn't even through the DVD in there.
  • Throw the VHS out! :D;)
  • polrbehr
    No law at all. If I want to purchase a title I don't already have, I will opt for Bluray but only if the price is reasonable.
    If I find a Bluray of a movie I already own and like, I will consider replacing it if the cost is under $10. For instance, I was able to get all 3 LOTR on BD for $7.50 each, so I took my original DVDs and gave them to a church thrift store. No storage issues since it was an equal swap, plus I get a receipt for when April rolls around.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    It's going to take a while for me to jump on board. My 8yo 50" 1080p Panny Plasma still looks stunning. My 8yo Playstation still does well with the Blu Rays.
    No excuses!
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited October 2016
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Good news for us dinosaurs "stuck" with 1080p max, I guess; cost of regular BD titles should be getting even lower as time goes on! B)

The fact is, UHD+BD will eventually become the "standard" offering; this will allow them to maintain current price levels. Already we are seeing DVD only releases that have no extras and no digital copy/download. The price of UHD releases will fall as the combo packs transition from BD+DVD to UHD+BD; I haven't paid more than $30 for a UHD release yet.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2016
    Xbox One S and original Xbox One to support Auro-3D, Atmos, and DTS:X via bitstream I believe.

http://ce-pro.eu/2016/10/worlds-cheapest-4k-blu-ray-player-now-supports-dolby-atmos/
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Xbox One S and original Xbox One to support Auro-3D, Atmos, and DTS:X via bitstream I believe.

http://ce-pro.eu/2016/10/worlds-cheapest-4k-blu-ray-player-now-supports-dolby-atmos/

This is very good news. Reinforced my want to buy xbox one S. The article doesnt say if this update(firmware) has been pushed out or comes preloaded with the new consoles. Either way, I am waiting for black friday to see if I can get a good deal on it.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • polrbehr
    StantonZ wrote: »
    The fact is, UHD+BD will eventually become the "standard" offering; this will allow them to maintain current price levels. Already we are seeing DVD only releases that have no extras and no digital copy/download. The price of UHD releases will fall as the combo packs transition from BD+DVD to UHD+BD; I haven't paid more than $30 for a UHD release yet.

You are undoubtedly correct, any way they can extract money from the masses will be the rule. But that likely won't take place for a awhile (I hope, anyway), and even so, there should still be thousands of choices in the non-UHD category.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2016
    DSkip wrote: »
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    It's going to take a while for me to jump on board. My 8yo 50" 1080p Panny Plasma still looks stunning. My 8yo Playstation still does well with the Blu Rays.

Do yourself a favor and don't get a flagship tv in your house then. I love my Panasonic plasma, but it's not even close compared to my Sony.

Curious, in what regards?

I Have only found OLED TVs to easily better my Panny Plasma.

Not saying yours is bad or anything, in fact it is a very impressive looking TV, but are you talking 4k Material clarity, or color and black level in general?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056

Do yourself a favor and don't get a flagship tv in your house then. I love my Panasonic plasma, but it's not even close compared to my Sony. [/quote]

I have the same Sony as Skips only the 55 inches I get nothing but oohs and aws when people see movies in UHD. I won't be needing to get a UHD player to pair with my Oppo 105D as Vudu is now streaming most of the new releases in UHD you can buy or rent them along with what Netflix offers I can get my 4K fix with out buying any discs, plenty of 4k stuff to stream it's here. I believe you Skip I can imagine the Jaw Dropping pictuses your getting from your Sony
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • @gudnoyez Since the bitrate for all of the streaming services is significantly lower than what comes off of a disc (*I.E.the material is far more compressed*)how can you say you don't need to get a player? Especially considering the fact that none of the streaming services is capable of sending a Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA soundtrack.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    premium streaming services are your only source of native Ultra HD (UHD) 4K content.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    https://www.watchvudu.com/uhd/

There you go oh and in Dolby Atmos
    @gudnoyez Since the bitrate for all of the streaming services is significantly lower than what comes off of a disc (*I.E.the material is far more compressed*)how can you say you don't need to get a player? Especially considering the fact that none of the streaming services is capable of sending a Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA soundtrack.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• gudnoyez wrote: »
    https://www.watchvudu.com/uhd/

There you go oh and in Dolby Atmos
    @gudnoyez Since the bitrate for all of the streaming services is significantly lower than what comes off of a disc (*I.E.the material is far more compressed*)how can you say you don't need to get a player? Especially considering the fact that none of the streaming services is capable of sending a Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA soundtrack.

@gudnoyez
    Dolby Atmos (*which is object based surround that includes a height channel*) is designed to be backward compatible with the lower bitrate Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital +. Which is what A lot of streaming services use. Dolby Atmos is not the same thing as Dolby True HD.The bitrate for Dolby True HD and DTS HD-MA (*which are extremely high bitrate lossless digital audio codecs*) coming off of a standard Blu-ray disc can actually be higher than the audio and video combined coming from a streaming service. Both of those audio codecs can be found on the 4K Blu-ray. Dolby Atmos is also found of the 4K BLu-ray on discs encoded with Dolby True HD audio.
    @txcoastal1
    What kind of video do you think is on the 4K Blu-ray disc?

Yes HDR (*High Dynamic Range*) video content is also compatible with the disc and streaming services.
  • StantonZ
    edited November 2016
    @gudnoyez Since the bitrate for all of the streaming services is significantly lower than what comes off of a disc (*I.E.the material is far more compressed*) how can you say you don't need to get a player? Especially considering the fact that none of the streaming services is capable of sending a Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA soundtrack.

After seeing the last few posts, I thought I would second the comments of @honestaquarian. Streaming services won't touch the video/audio bitrate/quality of disc for many years. There's nothing better than a UHD/4k/HDR disc (with loss-less audio Atmos/DTS:X) available today...and OLED can't be touched by any other display technology currently available. I enjoy 4K/HDR streaming...and hope Vudu gets away from requiring "outboard" hardware to view it (like including it in TV apps), but it doesn't represent the best quality available--and that doesn't even address the problem with not being able to stream DD+ over optical/ARC.
  • gudnoyez
    edited November 2016
    You guys are probably right got the ruku 4 for Vudu and will get a UHD player eventually the Oppo comes out next month so might end up biting the bullet the Phillips player is $ 229.00 on sale, but for a couple hundred more the Oppo sounds like the one to get. Dang technology just when you think your done something else comes along.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    8K is coming up. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    You guys are probably right got the ruku 4 for Vudu and will get a UHD player eventually the Oppo comes out next month so might end up biting the bullet the Phillips player is $ 229.00 on sale, but for a couple hundred more the Oppo sounds like the one to get. Dang technology just when you think your done something else comes along.

The Samsung 4K player has dropped to $189 on Amazon. Probably a fair price for it now.

• BTW the 4K TiVo bolt does VUDU
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324

The Samsung 4K player has dropped to $189 on Amazon. Probably a fair price for it now.

The price keeps dropping on the Samsung. It was $200 last week.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    I have the 4K Sony TV, but no 4K player yet.

I will wait till it gets cheaper.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    940C is one bad to the bone TV. I'm happy with my 850C and I know it's nowhere near what you got Skip.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    The problem in blacks in LED 4ks was edge lighting issues
    The 940C does not have this issue
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • StantonZ
    Thorton wrote: »

That's because it doesn't work! I went through 3 before I gave up and bought the Panasonic.
  • StantonZ wrote: »
    Thorton wrote: »

That's because it doesn't work! I went through 3 before I gave up and bought the Panasonic.

Aaaawwwwww
    Yew poowah thing
    Oy am shoowah it muss be harrible fa yew! ;):p:D