4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2016
    I just spent almost $250 to replace the DMD chip in my 8 yo 67" Samsung, it started to show the White Dots of Death a couple of weeks ago. I love the PQ of this TV (LED DLP), and thought it was definitely worth fixing for the right price.

Honestly, 4k didn't impress me all that much, and I am especially hesitant to upgrade
    when my primary viewing seat is about 14' away. The flowers in the demo scene I saw in BestBuy looked insanely bright and saturated with color, to the point that it looked unnatural. Maybe someday I'll pry the wallet open and get a new 4k, but only after the DLP is dead and buried :)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I just spent almost $250 to replace the DMD chip in my 8 yo 67" Samsung, it started to show the White Dots of Death a couple of weeks ago. I love the PQ of this TV (LED DLP), and thought it was definitely worth fixing for the right price.

Honestly, 4k didn't impress me all that much, and I am especially hesitant to upgrade
    when my primary viewing seat is about 14' away. The flowers in the demo scene I saw in BestBuy looked insanely bright and saturated with color, to the point that it looked unnatural. Maybe someday I'll pry the wallet open and get a new 4k, but only after the DLP is dead and buried :)

The human eye has limited ability to see small tiny details at an even moderately far distance.
    That is compounded by a persons individual eyesight in particular.

Any idea of what your corrected eyesight number is/?
  • I'd offer a reward to anyone who actually knows that number (*IF I actually had a reward to give-and I don't*)
    Besides as you know @k_m most of this stuff is HIGHLY subjective!(*meaning opinions on top of opinions followed by opinions with a side order of opinions and for desert-MORE opinions!*) :D
  • K_M
    edited August 2016
    I'd offer a reward to anyone who actually knows that number (*IF I actually had a reward to give-and I don't*)
    Besides as you know @k_m most of this stuff is HIGHLY subjective!(*meaning opinions on top of opinions followed by opinions with a side order of opinions and for desert-MORE opinions!*) :D

I know my number, just had my eyes checked a couple weeks ago!!

Mine is 20/30 which means a bit less than ideal eyesight which is 20/20

I can therefore see at 20 feet away from the eye test chart what a person with normal visual acuity sees at 30 feet away.

With glasses I am at about 20/20, but that is not perfect, but merely ideal or normal.

Yes I agree about the opinions. They are all over the place about everything audio and video, and many are meaningless.
  • polrbehr
    K_M wrote: »

The human eye has limited ability to see small tiny details at an even moderately far distance.
    That is compounded by a persons individual eyesight in particular.

Any idea of what your corrected eyesight number is/?

Not sure what that means. What I do know is last year I had an annual physical for work with an eye exam, and I was able to read every line on the chart from about 15' away, without any type of external aid. Does that tell you anything?

And I didn't say anything about not being able to see differences, only that I was not impressed - and to clarify, I mean the difference between 4k and 1080p from the distance I typically view from.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• K_M
    edited August 2016
  • @k_m I respectfully submit you are opening a can of worms here.
  • polrbehr
    edited August 2016
    @honestaquarian not sure about a can of worms, ah, I guess I missed something before edit?

@k_m, does your chosen field of employment begin with the letters "opt" by any chance? You certainly seem to be interested in eyesight.

Since I was able to read the smallest line on their chart, I would think that meant 20/20? I was a bit thrown off when you said "corrected eyesight number"; to me that meant the use of glasses or contact lenses, neither of which I've ever had to use. Oh, and no, I've never had laser surgery either. And for the record, I turned 53 last month... *shrugs*

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I figure it's like pretty much like a good sub. You can be perfectly happy without one, until that time that you actually add one to your system.

Panny is still working fine, so 1080 it is for a while. Hopefully I can suffer for a few more years.
  • K_M
    @honestaquarian not sure about a can of worms, ah, I guess I missed something before edit?

@k_m, does your chosen field of employment begin with the letters "opt" by any chance? You certainly seem to be interested in eyesight.

Since I was able to read the smallest line on their chart, I would think that meant 20/20? I was a bit thrown off when you said "corrected eyesight number"; to me that meant the use of glasses or contact lenses, neither of which I've ever had to use. Oh, and no, I've never had laser surgery either. And for the record, I turned 53 last month... *shrugs*

20/20 is average vision, the middle line of test chart.
    Unless your test was done at the wrong distance, your eyesight would be far beyond normal according to what you said. Not sure how it was done, with what chart so who knows for sure.

I had my eyes tested recently, I said that in a post up above, you may have missed that, and my optometrist, went into great detail about it with me due to me asking.

No harm no foul, just a bit of serendipity?
  • K_M wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA(*oink*)!! :D
  • polrbehr
    As sales of 4K Ultra HD (UHD) TVs begin to take off and 4K content slowly becomes available, Japan’s NHK is forging ahead with 8K TV, which delivers four times more pixels than UHD or 16 times that of standard HD.
    The public broadcaster is actively testing its 8K Super Hi-Vision TV system in Rio as the 2016 Olympics get underway and will hold public viewing events at venues in Rio and Japan.

Opening and closing ceremonies and five events—including judo, swimming, and basketball—will be broadcast live.

Sony also announced that it will begin shipping samples of an 8K tuner it has developed in September. Full-scale 8K broadcasting is slated to begin in 2018.

My cable provider is still maxed out at 1080i resolution. I think it's way past time to call them and ask when the upgrades are coming... :p

• polrbehr wrote: »
    As sales of 4K Ultra HD (UHD) TVs begin to take off and 4K content slowly becomes available, Japan’s NHK is forging ahead with 8K TV, which delivers four times more pixels than UHD or 16 times that of standard HD.
    The public broadcaster is actively testing its 8K Super Hi-Vision TV system in Rio as the 2016 Olympics get underway and will hold public viewing events at venues in Rio and Japan.

Opening and closing ceremonies and five events—including judo, swimming, and basketball—will be broadcast live.

Sony also announced that it will begin shipping samples of an 8K tuner it has developed in September. Full-scale 8K broadcasting is slated to begin in 2018.

My cable provider is still maxed out at 1080i resolution. I think it's way past time to call them and ask when the upgrades are coming... :p

How much do you wanna bet the fiber players in the cable TV game (*like Verizon FiOS or Google fiber just to name a couple of well known examples*) will get the higher resolutions first???
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Actually the third. The new Xbox one s is the second.

It's mentioned in that review
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    4K is pretty badass. I have Installed a Sony 4k projector and it flat out Rocks. Sony is releasing a Z series which I have not seen live yet but have done all the other series models over the last few years and they IMO are the best in the business.
    As far as 4k Blu ray players, honestly I'm totally sick and tired of these cheap junk **** players. I don't care if it's 4k or not. If I buy a new 4k player I want a high quality piece which seems to be far and few in between these days.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    The number of movies the studios are releasing in the 4K format is pretty disappointing this far into the product cycle. Almost seems like they are trying to kill off their own format. The last time I checked out the planned future releases things didn't seem to be improving either. I have not checked for a few weeks now though.
  • https://blog.tivo.com/2016/09/bolt-available-sept-15/?utm_source=subs&utm_medium=email

VERY interesting for all of you TiVo heads out there who are also 4K capable
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    Until OPPO, or Cambridge step into the game, will step in the game...
  • polrbehr
    How much do you wanna bet the fiber players in the cable TV game (*like Verizon FiOS or Google fiber just to name a couple of well known examples*) will get the higher resolutions first???

Nope, no taker on that action here. I can't even get FiOS where I am, it has long been the case that Cablevision has quite a few areas of LI locked up. I spoke with a CS rep from Verizon last year who lives in an area where he can't get FiOS either.
    For me, it's cable, satellite, or OTA (the latter not really an option, just listing it for
    arguments sake).

• @polrbehr
    Just because you can't get FiOS (*I can't either,even though it's available on my street!*) doesn't mean that they won't be upping the ante in the Hi Rez frontier later in the game.
  • polrbehr
    I am sure they will, I guess I got sidetracked with my reply.

But if FiOS does offer hi-rez, it might be a good thing, maybe it will inspire Cable to up the ante and finally offer 1080p(+?) for those of us caught in the monopoly? lol

• It'd be nice,but the cable companies STILL haven't responded to FiOS going full symmetrical (*equal up and down speed*) with their internet speeds after more than a year so........................................
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Verizon is supposedly testing a 4K capable box now for release at some point which is supposed to be like an internet streaming device. My FIOS boxes top out at 1080i and Dolby Digital. Direct TV has 4K content already with their HD box. Amazon Fire TV does 4K streaming with audio that tops out at Dolby Digital Plus. I am not aware that any of those is capable of transmitting a 4K HDR video signal combined with full HD resolution audio. For now that's where 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray is superior.
  • polrbehr
    @honestaquarian , I recognize that cable doesn't offer asymmetrical internet, but I also never found their Ultra package lacking because of it.
    I normally get over 100Mbps downloads, and close to 40 on the upload side; if they can improve on that and keep the cost the same, I'd be all for it, though I do wonder if it would make that much difference?

@Emlyn I am glad you chimed in, I did not know that FiOS is also limited to 1080i
    for their set top boxes as well. I really am not complaining anyway, most of what is offered these days isn't worth watching in hi-def... ;)

• You might not notice much of a difference speed-wise.It's the increase in the size of the pipeline that makes a difference,ESPECIALLY when you have more than one person in your household using the web at the same time. You are streaming a 4K movie from Netflix during peak hours while one of your kids for example is playing an online game against four other people around the world. Your wife is uploading pics of the family vacation to Twitter or Snapchat. The other kid is uploading a video to Youtube...............................
    You get the picture here

Kind of like if you live in an apartment building or have a good size house where there is more than one toilet and multiple people flushed at the same time.