Should we change the Flea Market Rules?

rooftop59
rooftop59 Posts: 8,118
edited August 2015 in The Clubhouse
So, what should we do? If the results are clear enough, we might send them on the Ken for a final decision. (Note, this poll is anonymous)
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Should we change the Flea Market Rules? 106 votes

No: Leave the limit at 100 posts for buying and selling
19% 21 votes
Yes: Leave the limit for selling at 100; reduce the limit for buying to 50
17% 19 votes
Yes: Leave the limit for selling at 100; remove the limit for buying (leave it up to seller)
42% 45 votes
Who gives a rat's patootie, this forum is a dead man walking ;-)
19% 21 votes

Comments

• How many posts do you have to have to vote...lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • rooftop59
    And just clarify option 3: what I wish we could implement is a rule that states that a newly listed item is only available for purchase by polkies for 1-2 weeks, but once that time limit expires, the seller can sell to anyone they wish through the forum. I don't think we can enforce a rule like that, but we can't enforce the current rule either.

My vote is for option 3.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited August 2015
    Maybe we can make it a sticky so it doesn't get buried. I'd also like to see it run for awhile so we get at least 100 votes in instead of the 30 we have now.

.....and what the heck ? My dead Grandmother can't vote ? :)
    .....and why can't I vote more than once ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe we can make it a sticky so it doesn't get buried. I'd also like to see it run for awhile so we get at least 100 votes in instead of the 30 we have now.

Is that something Ken does Tony? I don't know how to make a sticky.

I agree with you that we need a lot more votes than we currently have. If nothing else this could be taken as one indication of the overall "active membership" on the forum.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Is that something Ken does Tony? I don't know how to make a sticky.

I agree with you that we need a lot more votes than we currently have. If nothing else this could be taken as one indication of the overall "active membership" on the forum.

be careful what you wish for. If the active membership is flaunted as being low, the lifespan of this place is going to get shorter.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    While I don't like the wording I picked option four. Basic premise, come for the sales, stay for the community.

When business is dwindling the last thing you want to do is make your door harder to get into, reguardless of the sign above it.

So I say let people buy, sell, do whatever they want within the boundaries of what is ethical and decent, it will help site traffic which will help the site.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• tonyb
    While I don't like the wording I picked option four. Basic premise, come for the sales, stay for the community.

When business is dwindling the last thing you want to do is make your door harder to get into, reguardless of the sign above it.

So I say let people buy, sell, do whatever they want within the boundaries of what is ethical and decent, it will help site traffic which will help the site.

lol....have to disagree though, but I do like your choice of words. If people wanted to be part of this community, there is nothing keeping them from doing so. The FM and the forum are 2 separate entities, who needs the forum if you have access for free to the FM. The 50 post count entices people to be active on the forum instead of ditching after they got what they want in the FM.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59

I am confused. To me the basic premise of option four is there is no point in changing the rules because the forum is dead. I meant option four to imply that you do not care to change the rules because it does not matter. Is that not what's implied?

Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Inspector 24

I am confused. To me the basic premise of option four is there is no point in changing the rules because the forum is dead. I meant option four to imply that you do not care to change the rules because it does not matter. Is that not what's implied?

The defeatist nature of the language implies there's no hope so who cares.

I do care, I just don't think a minimum post count is necessary.
    The 50 post count entices people to be active on the forum instead of ditching after they got what they want in the FM.

I am a perfect example of what I am referring to. Sure I came for the fleamarket but I had every intention of staying in being a productive member as I have been a polk enthusiast for a long time. The only thing the post county requirement enticed me to do was to make a bunch of junk posts really quick so I could buy and or sell something. And since then I think I've been a reasonably active member here.

Will no post county requirement solve all the problems? No, of course it won't but it's another tool to attract people to the forums.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993

The defeatist nature of the language implies there's no hope so who cares.

I do care, I just don't think a minimum post count is necessary.
    The 50 post count entices people to be active on the forum instead of ditching after they got what they want in the FM.

I am a perfect example of what I am referring to. Sure I came for the fleamarket but I had every intention of staying in being a productive member as I have been a polk enthusiast for a long time. The only thing the post county requirement enticed me to do was to make a bunch of junk posts really quick so I could buy and or sell something. And since then I think I've been a reasonably active member here.

Will no post county requirement solve all the problems? No, of course it won't but it's another tool to attract people to the forums.
    I'm confused too. Why did you not like #3? - "Yes: Leave the limit for selling at 100; remove the limit for buying (leave it up to seller)"
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    So I picked option 2 not sure if we should reveal our pick or not but I can guarantee you can trust the regulars here not sure I would even consider buying from someone before they have 100 posts and you get a feel for that person my .02
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,117
    edited August 2015
    Although I voted #3, it really doesn't matter to me. I've had no issues with it as it is. However I don't think I would buy from a newbie?? I like the trust that is here.
    On the other hand there are some items listed here that should have sold and haven't. That is why I picked #3, after a period of time he/she should be able to decide for themselves.

If I were selling I would give the longer time Polkies dibs for a period of time
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    How can you set a rule when anyone with only 1 post can come in here and put something up for sale!@#$%&*
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    You forgot you have to sell 50 things before your first post!!!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,117
    gce wrote: »
    How can you set a rule when anyone with only 1 post can come in here and put something up for sale!@#$%&*

Simply don't buy, your choice. I do wish the software could take care of it though.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341

Anyone trying to sell with less than 100 posts has their thread removed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Choice #4 is really not helping matters and it saddens me to see 10 people so far have wasted their vote on that one.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2015
    In fact, I'm so pissed off about #4 that I think this poll should be deleted and a new one started.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,428
    These types of conversations are much better suited to privacy amongst the leadership/senior members of the forum - no one wants to see the inner workings of the sausage factory.

I find it somewhat off-putting that I, as a "noob", am prevented from buying items for sale here. I would put my buying/selling/karma-ing record up against anyone's, but I'm instantly viewed as "un-trustworthy" here...

And I take no offense here, I am simply overlaying this fact with your own observations of declining membership. Everyone you attract to this forum will be a "noob". Wether they stay or not, will largely be determined by how welcome they feel in their first months here.

Again, I take no offense - I just came here for some info on restoring some SRS speakers, and liked the diversity of conversation, and I've been coming back daily for the past month or so. F1nut makes a very valid point about option 4 - This comes across as snarky at best, and defeatist at worst. I sincerely hope this is not a look at the true culture of leadership - But if so, your prophecy may come true sooner than you think.

As for the buying and selling rules, just pick something (anything), post it, and stick with it. Hand wringing servers no purpose, other than to make the leadership look indecisive.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Hope you stick around Daddy.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • daddyjt
    Hope you stick around Daddy.

I'm all good brother - As I said, I take no offense whatsoever - Just offering thoughts and suggestions to maintain/grow the forum...

Probably sticking my nose in where it doesnt belong:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    I find it somewhat off-putting that I, as a "noob", am prevented from buying items for sale here. I would put my buying/selling/karma-ing record up against anyone's, but I'm instantly viewed as "un-trustworthy" here...

I find that attitude somewhat perplexing as there are any number of audio forums that have various restrictions on access to their classifieds, one I know of makes you pay to buy or sell. Yet, people come here thinking they should have the right to do both from the jump.

Like trust, the use of the FM is earned.

President of Club Polk

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    I suggest that the top two are run off against each other. Otherwise, policy looks like it would be set by a vocal minority. I personally favored #2, it retains a uniform comfort zone, but reduces the leap to FM participation, while preserving core members first immediate dibs on sweetheart deals offered by other members wanting to pass on some karma.
  • F1nut
    Wow, now #4 has 13 votes. Really? WTF is wrong with you people!?!

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    For what it's worth, I voted #3
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,576
    edited August 2015
    I refuse to vote :smile: ive decided im gonna go read about speakers
  • daddyjt
    Nightfall wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I voted #3

Same here...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Inspector 24

This. And 50 or 100 quick junky posts does nothing to add to a buyer or seller's credibility.
    Like trust, the use of the FM is earned.

By 100 potentially fast, junky, one two three word posts that someone could rip through in an hour if they really wanted to sell/buy here. I've seen it, I'm sure you have.
    I find that attitude somewhat perplexing as there are any number of audio forums that have various restrictions on access to their classifieds, one I know of makes you pay to buy or sell. Yet, people come here thinking they should have the right to do both from the jump.

Perhaps those forums have the traffic and the popularity to justify such actions. The question posed in this thread suggests that something needs to change and thus opens the issue up to discussion. In light of the fact that these forums are apparently dying it seems relevant to consider every way possible to maintain/increase traffic.

A question I haven't seen asked or answered...What is the downside of opening up the FM to all without a post count requirement?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• F1nut
    By 100 potentially fast, junky, one two three word posts that someone could rip through in an hour if they really wanted to sell/buy here. I've seen it, I'm sure you have.

Those posts are deleted in short order.
    A question I haven't seen asked or answered...What is the downside of opening up the FM to all without a post count requirement?

Our FM has an excellent track record when it comes to successful transactions because of the restrictions. In the 12 years I've been here I can count on one hand the number of selling/buying problems. Opening it up to one hit wonders is simply inviting rip off troubles.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.