A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited January 2021
    I had the luxury of testing one of a pair of Wuhan Chimera Peerless tweets karma'd to me by Rob and one interesting thing I have to report is that the thing did indeed improve with a few months of breakin! I wasn't sure it was possible but I think the graphs I show below indicate that the tweeter was smoother after breakin. Note: this tweeter has still yet to be modified by burning or punching a hole in the dome (aka Aperture Tuning), as Polk apparently did, due to me being chicken to attempt it so far. :)

Here's the baseline whitenoise response. Please ignore the 3 numbers on the graph, it was a setting in the app that I later disabled:

2jscwb59xa2c.png

Here is the response I measured after a few months of heavy play time. Definitely seems smoother to me:

vezudyqa2a1w.png

Here is the whitenoise response of the 7514??79 Peerless tweet that was in the R speaker, which got the Wuhan Chimera tweet swapped into it:

m20ewgnllf2r.png

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Nice, if I need a set burned-in I know who to call lol.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2021
    It (and presumably they) sound too nice to languish away in storage should I someday have a tweeter meltdown and need to use them. I have a friend who has a pair of open baffle fullrange single driver Steve Deckert designed speakers he fabricated and would like to try for a little more high freq. extension, so he will probably end up with them and we will design a crossover with an adjustable L-pad (initially), along with a RTA-12 like tweeter baffle we will build for situating these atop his speakers.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Rob, guess what I got... 4 more RD-0198's
  • VSAT88
    Well, 4 more RD 0194,s actually.
    burnt coils.
  • Gardenstater
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mikebisch
    mikebisch Posts: 10
    Rather than read 18 pages, what is the current replacement silk dome recommendation? Thanks!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2021
    mikebisch wrote: »
    Rather than read 18 pages, what is the current replacement silk dome recommendation? Thanks!

Do you want new silk dome tweeters w/plates and magnets or just the replacement silk domes like below? This eBay seller sells smaller amounts. I just didn't want to go through the huge amount of pages they have in their "other items" list. x2n6mpmlhlww.png
    I was closing out the site and saw these...4 pack.

If you just want these domes...you should take the time to look over these 18 pages to see what needs to be done to make these fit. We put pictures on this thread for others to see.
    The processes and venders for the new screws that will be needed are in these pages too. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122719536939?hash=item1c92a7872b:g:yo8AAOSwJwpZxLQX

n0by9q50qamv.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122208873670?hash=item1c74376cc6:g:z-MAAOSwCU1YuO2o

Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mikebisch
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking to do the least amount of work, spend the least amount of money, while still obtaining a relatively good sounding result. Hoping to better the original sl2000. So, from the little skimming of the thread I have done so far, you just flatten the back of the original plastic frame, then put these between the magnet and frame plate, use some longer screws and that's it?
  • mikebisch
    OK, I see now. The flattening is for an RDO plate. A Sl2000 needs milling. Since I don't have the tools to do that, maybe I will cut the tabs off of the new dome frame and use the original terminals. I'll update if I ever get around to trying this.
  • xschop
    I have only 8 ea of the SL2000 billet conversion plates left. These are the LAST ones I will machine. I'll make a for sale thread here shortly...
    $45 ea shipped US-48 only

gaim6cvlcr5c.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    These are sold!!! Payment sent!!!
  • VSAT88
    OH YEAH !! Only the best . Congrats.
  • xschop
    These are are definitely NLA.
  • VSAT88
    edited December 2021
    Well that just sucks. What I gotta do now. Go beg in China ? I mean dam@ man.. At least @audioluvr and I should be able to get Madonna's nipple extensions still, right ? What about black paint ?? we gonna be out of that soon too ? Then where will I be able to get black paint ???
  • xschop
    edited December 2021
    Don't you have RDO's? 😆
    Besides Evergrande just defaulted 300Billion and good luck getting anything from there soon.

Might want to really consider stocking up on the Wuhan domes...
    I got some plugs left, calm down.

I'll build more RD0 billet plates after the New Year....

Xīnnián hǎo

Post edited by xschop on
  • VSAT88
    HA HA, 198's are the only ones I use but you already know that. I do have two sets that could use some 194's though. Or even 198's x 4 if that mod that dude came up with works for single post 1986 SDA-SRS 2's. If you are spinning up anything new I know I will know about it pretty quick ! Anyhow being we are talking I am shipping you a set of Black Dragons out tomorrow. In fact two sets one at 12uF and another at 33uF keep this under your hat for now. More will be revealed..lol.
  • xschop
    Nice, I think every vintage Polk used those cap values and evolved from there lol.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'll build more RD0 billet plates after the New Year....

If I have to sell a kidney, count me in for 6.
  • VSAT88
    What does a kidney go for these days ? I might consider that myself.
  • Gardenstater
    edited December 2021
    Nice anodizing and laser lettering. Now ya gotta cover them up with wool anti-diffraction pads ha ha 😁. I bet with two tweeter openings that baffle is stiffer with those billet aluminum plates a la xschop. Must sound better?

Nice set up.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    What does a kidney go for these days ? I might consider that myself.

I hope I do not need to find out!
    😆
  • pitdogg2
    78r9cvb98gia.jpeg
    The tweeter plates Rob sent to me are awesome here is a little drool worthy pic for you gents

Alright spill it, those plates are awesome! Where did you get that done?
  • VSAT88
    Yeah, what Pit said .
  • VSAT88
    Nice anodizing and laser lettering. Now ya gotta cover them up with wool anti-diffraction pads ha ha 😁. I bet with two tweeter openings that baffle is stiffer with those billet aluminum plates a la xschop. Must sound better?

Nice set up.

Now, as far as anti-diffraction pads why are we not using those in Polk speakers. I mean I am no expert but if that works seems like to me there would be a great calling for them and it should take too much $ to get that going. Tell me what you think man from Jersey !
  • Gardenstater
    edited December 2021
    Yeah man I think anybody who hasn't gotten onboard with anti-diffraction in vintage Polks is missing out on a huge bang for your buck upgrade! Not to derail the thread but:

y3rrwz5dglk0.jpg

PS: god these need dust removal :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VSAT88
    Hey I kinda dig that. How are you putting that together. I know what the outside tops are well I think I do anyhow. The felt pads themselves. Do you have a thread on that ? Post it here is you want no way to de rail this thread we are in the Crazy Train man !
  • pitdogg2
    @VR3 made the felt pads on his laser machine.
    IIRC