And the debate continues...

Options
vc69
vc69 Posts: 2,500
"The vinyl disc is a steadily collapsing medium," says Ludwig, who went on to become a Grammy-winning mastering engineer, with credits on Patti Smith's Horses, Steely Dan's Gaucho and White's Lazaretto, among many others. "The closer it gets to the label, the more the information is getting compromised, the high frequencies getting lost."

http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162
-Kevin
HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
2 Channel:
Oppo BDP-83 SE
Squeezebox Touch
Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
VTL 2.5
McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
B&W 801's
Transparent IC's

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    That was an interesting read - thanks!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I noticed years ago that the closer the stylus gets to the center of the record the more distorted the music sounds. One of the aspects of vinyl I never cared for.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I get it, you wanna feel like you did 30 years ago. I also get it physical media is awesome and the feeling of putting on a record , turning it over and having no control of the songs that are being played etc etc etc. The art of listening I guess.
    But IMO I never thought they sounded better then CD SACD or the new HIGH REZ files you can get.
    I don't own a record player but at times I wouldn't mind having one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I noticed the closer it gets to the center of the LP the sooner I have to get off my **** to go and change it or flip it.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • vc69
    Options
    I think this pretty much nails it:

"That said, every audio engineer L.A. Weekly spoke to said it's not hard to find LPs that sound better than CDs. Mastering, production and manufacturing variables can drastically tilt the scale either way."

I wish more people would understand that simple statement.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I get it, you wanna feel like you did 30 years ago. I also get it physical media is awesome and the feeling of putting on a record , turning it over and having no control of the songs that are being played etc etc etc. The art of listening I guess.

I think this is part of it for me - I thought his analogy to having a cigar with friends and enjoying the moment was a good one. I'm much more likely to listen to songs on an album - that I will immediately and without hesitation skip with the control of a CD. I like your statement "the art of listening".

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have several Vinyl LP's and the matching SACD's and to me the vinyl sounds warmer and the SACD's a little brighter. atleast it does to my ears in my setup.

I still prefer Vinyl and enjoy cleaning them & playing them.

but I understand people who prefer digital files or hirez files for their play lists etc...

I just not in that crowd.

take Supertramps LP's -> *Crime of the Century is awesome on vinyl* Breakfast in America is lousy and sounds better on standard redbook. how can they get one so right and the other so wrong?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I'm w/ Mikey here on this one. I do not hear any difference even if my Adcom is on for seconds and the tt is near the so called half of the LP. I just don't get this unless you dudes have uber expensive/sensitive gear and ears like an owl. For the most part mostly all of my 100 or so LPs are very clean w/ very few little pops and crackles. As good as they are I still like the clearer sound of CDs or running my I-Pod for hours on end both through tuner input of my NAD 1020a pre.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Whenever I play vinyl I smell incense (amongst other things), see psychedelic art on the walls and naked bodies writhing on the floor. Takes me back to my days living in a commune and my youth. Yes, it is the experience that elevates vinyl. It is after work and I am to tired for that flashback, so in goes the CD.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the "ritual" around prepping an album for play; and then the total mechancial aspect of everything is what really makes vinyl fun. I do miss it sometimes, being a child of the 70's, I had turntables for many years--I HATED 8-track.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I had a decent work-horse turntable, Technics SL1100A, and one of the best MM Cartridges ever made, the Shure V15 Type V MR. They played very well together. Do I miss it? Sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic. I don't miss using my disc washer before every play, flipping the album after 4 songs, cleaning the stylus, and worrying whether my then 2 year old would destroy it. When CDs came out, I couldn't buy them fast enough.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Vinyl roolz. B)
    Actually I don't like limiting myself. I don't have to. I do as the mood strikes me.
    I have four Queen CDs and any number of Rush CDs that will quickly tell you
    that CDs can SUCK. Hi-Res downloads are probably a mixed bag as well.
    Nowadays, if they record in 24 bit or 32 bit floating and mix in 32 bit floating...
    and Master correctly...
    we might be on to something and I'll finally get rid of my 600+ Cds.
    Well, some of them. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good read BTW.
    "I think some people interpret the lack of top end [on vinyl] and interpret an analog type of distortion as warmth," says Jim Anderson, a Grammy-winning recording engineer and professor at New York University's Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music. "It's a misinterpretation of it. But if they like it, they like it. That's fine."

You can say the same thing about Hi-Res files. As you increase the frequency you
    can/do get a different kind of distortion that some people may find pleasing.
    Sorry, humans can only hear so much.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I had a lot of CD's so when I found out about NAS's and that I could rip my CD's in a lossless FLAC format I did. Then I found HDtracks and found I could download high-res FLAC files up to 192/24 and they would play on my system. Then I got an SACD player and got into SACD's late but nonetheless it sounded awesome. So I had my NAS full of FLAC and ripped CD's. I had my SACD's and all sounded so good.

They I decided to get back into Vinyl because my sister had a whole $hit load of old vinyl she gave me. Now I keep buying vinyl and I honestly can't remember when the last time I fired up the NAS or played a SACD.

Like Red said..."Vinyl roolz" B)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    I still have the Shure cart westmassguy speaks of and am waiting for the Jico SAS stylus to arrive, so I'm hoping I'll also be in the vinyl roolz boat soon. Recently picked up the Crime of the Century MoFi album and it sits pateintly next to the tt. There's just something to be said for holding and reading the album cover while listening, even though I've read it over many times before.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Kenneth Swauger's signature "the best way to enjoy a quality digital setup is to never hear a quality analog setup" pretty much sums it up for me. I play all the formats (CD, SACD, dvd-a, streaming files, hi-rez downloads, vinyl) and in my system vinyl smokes everything else. No contest! I don't get the life-like sound, dynamics, and soundstage realism with the other formats that I get with vinyl. The loss of high frequencies towards the end of the record that the engineer refers to is only true with certain cartridge alignments.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I agree with Dawgfish, I also enjoy all formats, and frankly a lot of the sound quality of vinyl depends on the quality of your stylus, phono stage, etc. If you don't have a good vinyl set-up you just ain't gonna get a good end result. If you have a decent set-up, however, vinyl has a quality that is preferable to me. SACD comes close, there are some SACDs that sound VERY good. In all mediums, however, the sound quality is dependant on the source material. As Red points out, there are vinyl albums by the same band that are on both ends of the spectrum. Dawgfish is also correct that the loss of high frequencies on a record are due to factors other than the intrinsic quality of the vinyl medium, in my experience usually due to an inferior cartridge or alignment. Or something else downstream, even the choice of tube in tube equipment, or IC's or SC's. I play all formats, sometimes I don't feel like flipping an album, sometimes I do. But I went back to vinyl because of its warmth, life-like sound and realism. And although I thought flipping the albums was a real pain when I first got back into vinyl, I now find it good to actually force myself to slow down and really listen to the music again.
  • vc69
    Options
    I definitely have recordings that I much prefer the vinyl to digital, and many more that I prefer the digital format to vinyl. One disclaimer, the analog rig I listen to is rather entry-level, so I know there are levels of analog nirvana that I haven't begun to reach for.
    One thing that kills me, as I am not a wealthy man, is how bleeding expensive it is to really take analog to the level I would like to hear. It's just so damn out of reach for me.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You can get good analog playback for not a lot of coin. Granted, everything in this hobby comes with a price tag but good sound can be had with any wallet. PM some of the TT guys and they can get you straightened out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vc69
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Roger that, Tony.
    We have a VPI Traveler (Grado Prestige Gold) and an ARC PH5. It definitely doesn't suck. I just know that that particular rig has the potential to really shine with a better TT. The Traveler was a "let's see if we like this vinyl thing" purchase. Certainly not a destination piece. Next-level decks are a commitment.

Point is, vinyl is a dark rabbit hole and the price to play at a higher level is prohibitive for many.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    vc69 wrote: »
    Point is, vinyl is a dark rabbit hole and the price to play at a higher level is prohibitive for many.

That it is pal. I've been out of the TT realm since kids came along. Like I said though, many here can get you on a path to good sound for not a lot of coin, just ask.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    I grew up on vinyl. There's nothing that would ever make me go back to it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

You must have a great system then??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Is it because you like the sound of digital better or because you don't enjoy the vinyl process (keeping them clean, etc)?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Its nice to have a vinyl rig handy, but for a daily driver bah on physical media
    Just finished packing up for LSAF: JRiver media server with a 10" monitor, Wifi router, keyboard, mouse, Hugo DAC in a carry on. Hook it up in 10min and connect to Ipad.
    Meeting the speakers and integrated in Dallas
    21nepv7znu3p.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options
    You must have a great system then??

I like them.
    Is it because you like the sound of digital better or because you don't enjoy the vinyl process (keeping them clean, etc)?

I never liked the pops, clicks and surface noise. Nothing worse to me when sitting back, eyes closed, relaxing to the music than to hear a pop. It absolutely ruins the experience for me. On the other hand, R2R tape hiss doesn't bother me because it doesn't jump out and say, Hey!

I treat my CD/SACD's similar to the way I treated my vinyl. Kept sealed when not playing, held by the edges, checked for any dust before going in the player and if any is seen, blown off with compressed air. As for the artwork and written info, I have no problem seeing it.

Dromunds talks about the warmth of vinyl. CD/SACD's can and do have that, but just like vinyl some can sound pretty bad. The quality of the sound depends on the mastering and the playback gear way more than the format. Life-like sound? Not available on any format. Realism? It's all an illusion. You want realism, go to a live performance.

Then we have the irrefutable fact that every time the needle is dragged through the grooves a little bit of fidelity is lost and that bothers me.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    I noticed years ago that the closer the stylus gets to the center of the record the more distorted the music sounds. One of the aspects of vinyl I never cared for.
    Linear tracking solves that pesky problem. Such a setup tracks the recording the way it was cut in the first place.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    Linear tracking solves that pesky problem. Such a setup tracks the recording the way it was cut in the first place.

I had one of those. I'm actually surprised all TT's today are not linear tracking.

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I left a CD in the car and it warped.
    Trying to fix it now.
    ooqrbbhaqmzq.jpg
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    ^^ LOL - I have two 13" x 13" x 1/2" plates of tempered glass for my vinyl that needs unwarping - but that there - is the mother of invention! CD warpage fix Nice! ^^

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre