Speaker choices - anyone has any opinion on either of these? BW 800 Diamonds or SF Strads.

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    He came back with a repeat session, this time he compared directly the 802 diamonds and the SF Strad. Lucky guy as this is EXTREMELY difficult to do since that's going to be a very rare dealer who will have both in the showroom. I really wanted him to compare the 800 diamonds and the Strads but alas, they had just sold their demo pair and were awaiting delivery of the new pair.

Love this guy, Tim's a good buddy of mine.

---
    Ok joey ---

one more time...one more listen.... here is what i heard in order...

1. Mac line arrays
    2. Strads
    3. 802Ds

All on Mac gear...

Mac line arrays.... wow.... coherence... dynamics.... big scale (they appear to be around 7' tall??? ... guessing in the 200K range... but very very good...unlike what i thought about the wilson alexandria.... they brought the orchestra to the room for sure....

2. Strads: this time I brought symphony/norah jones for jazz/piano/female vocal/ nickelcreek for very percussive mandolin/vocal/violin/ acoustic guitar... To me... everything was incredible....again.... the symphony had textures.... scale....strings - incredible (my opinion of this speakers wheelhouse)....Air in spades....Presence - th.... ey give you this sense of something (the air...whatever) ...they push air.... I absolutely loved them..... The vocals... Ok - I thought the vocdal on them was going to be a little colored..... NO - crystal clear -- very dimensional... norahs voice sounded in a way where you could see her in the sound proof room with the headphones on with one of those big round mics right up to her voice.... just fantastic.... the percussive quality of Chris 'Thile's mandolin of nickelcreek sounded fantastic... the pluck of the string and the detailed sound .... after it was done my son said .... 'that guy can shred'.... yes he can....

3. 802 Diamonds... the best B&W speaker I have ever heard.... they sounded 'tight'.... but, the strads ate them up in every way.... clarity (which I was surprised at)....low end.... presence.... dimensionality... scale... you can use all of the adjectives....

Now, we did not get to string quartet - which the strads do incredibly well - probably the best i have heard... so, we were not necessarily playing to what I thought were its strengths.... I noticed they like to be played with it cranked up a little .... 30-100watt peaks I am guessing as I looked at the meters....

I have heard these hooked to the G150 all tube ARC / and now the Mac 301 solid state monos..... I didn't expect to be impressed today... but again.. for a second time - I was....

Larry - the owner of Paragon in Ann Arbor wants to move his used Strads - natural walnut -very very nice.... He would like to move them prior to year end.... He said he would give a nice deal on them.... Not sure what that means.... However, if you decide to give him a call --- Please mention - Tim and his son were in there and told you to call.... and maybe you can work something out.... the pair looks pristeen to me.
    Thanks - and let me know how it goes .. .Tim

---
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    OP, I may have missed this, and this is just my curiosity. Have you listened to the bigger SF's? What were your thoughts? Those are my lottery speaker but I was curious what your thoughts were. I'm sorry to high jack the thread. I do know they sound different from the Strads as II never like SF's until I heard the Aida's. And I'd LOVE to get my ears on the new Liliums.

Which speaker were you referring to btw? Were you referring to Strads, Aidas, or Liliums? Like I said above, I've heard of the 2 of 3.

I gotta say, flat out, as far as I know and as far as I've experience this far in my audio adventures - the best sound I have ever heard were the Strads. But I gotta hear it one more time to be sure that I heard right.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I think the 802s are a solid transition anyway. While the 800s are the goal, the 802s will give you 9/10s of what you want at a much cheaper price giving you a hold over until you can drop the big coin on the exact deal you want on the end game speakers. Good planning imho.

I agree with you. These 802 Diamonds are end game for many, and when I heard them on tubes a month ago, I basically told myself that this was good enough as it was and I could retire.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Famous last words of many Joey lol. Yeah....until the next latest and greatest shows it's face. Order the Strats straight from Italy....have you been in touch with any dealers there ? Shipping may be a bear though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Famous last words of many Joey lol. Yeah....until the next latest and greatest shows it's face. Order the Strats straight from Italy....have you been in touch with any dealers there ? Shipping may be a bear though.

Hey TOOOOONY...

Yeah, I have a local dealer here who has already given me a bid on install and delivery of a brand new pair, fully authorized and full warranty, any color I want (red, graphite, walnut) for $35 w/ tax and delivery. That's the absolute best deal I have found and I have called a lot of dealers. SF has a very tight network and Sumiko/Fine Sounds (the distributor) has a very tight noose on all their dealers. Dealers cannot just mail you speakers just because you shop around and call around... they can't do this if there is an SF dealer nearby because this would essentially be cannabilism.

I just can't get my head wrapped around $35 when I saw it on audiogon for $20. Retail is $45 and every dealer I talk to is 10% off plus tax.. so essentially... $45. If I have it shipped out, they have to be very careful not to step on anyone's toes but $40 shipped. $35 was the best I found. I found them on higherfi, but they are grey market.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Options
    Joey,

So how did today's 802 deal go? I will be heading to H-Town tomorrow when the weather clears, hopefully around noon. Just to be clear, you are no longer pursuing the deal in H-town right? I may contact the seller and drop by on a whim.

Also, there is a guy by me that owns YG's big dog among many others. He also happens to be a dealer in the high end. Let me know if you want contact.

Anyhow, who did you find as a local dealer for the SF? I will probably visit and see what else is available.

Thanks,

Halen
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    I love the Dynaudio c4

4wxp0bup1d1o.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Brian,

I could only imagine how the C4 sounds, I have listened to txcoastal bookies and was very impressed. I am more interested (at ths point) in small enclosures with big enclosure sound. With that said, killer mids and airy highs. Plus, I am looking for different setups for my bedrooms. The Dyn's are very high on the list.

Halen
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You just gotta be very careful about those big big speakers like the C4 and other similar speakers. Once you buy them, you better commit.

And that's my biggest issue... I just can't commit.

Halen -

The 802 deal is ongoing, I was doing research on the guy and I talked to my banker about whether a bank wire is safe or not compared to paypal and if I had any recourse if the deal went south. I missed the seller's call at 5pm and called him back at 9pm but he was still at work.. I think he's a gen mgr at one of the Benz dealerships. So I guess if the deal goes south, I know where to find him. Plus, Sean (aka Zero on here) called me and I couldn't resist picking up the phone to chat with that crazy fool... lost track of time for an hour there. :smile:

I have 2 deals on the works. 802 diamonds and Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos. If I pick up both, I will be set and wait for the next 800 diamonds or for the right Strads to pop up on audiogon. I have eliminated the Elipsa SE from contention mainly because they are too wide to plop anywhere but the main stereo room and the Elipsa SE will eliminate any possibility for a Strad in this house. And partially because the guy has an inflated sense of what they are worth and we could not come to an agreement.

Btw Halen - I don't think the Htown guy will have you stop by... he seems to be very busy and probably is because he runs a big business down there. If he finds it too difficult to get me an invoice and a box, then that's his loss not mine.
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Btw, Halen, if you buy those 800 diamonds down there and bring it to your place, I will seriously bow to your deal making abilities. I wasn't able to close but if you are, you sir are a boss. :D

Also, I will be the first to volunteer to come by and help you unload them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What the... Is all this white stuff outside.

Halen
  • brianle
    Options
    The c4 are tall but not heavier than 802 or Elipsa
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

Hey TOOOOONY...

Yeah, I have a local dealer here who has already given me a bid on install and delivery of a brand new pair, fully authorized and full warranty, any color I want (red, graphite, walnut) for $35 w/ tax and delivery. That's the absolute best deal I have found and I have called a lot of dealers. SF has a very tight network and Sumiko/Fine Sounds (the distributor) has a very tight noose on all their dealers. Dealers cannot just mail you speakers just because you shop around and call around... they can't do this if there is an SF dealer nearby because this would essentially be cannabilism.

I just can't get my head wrapped around $35 when I saw it on audiogon for $20. Retail is $45 and every dealer I talk to is 10% off plus tax.. so essentially... $45. If I have it shipped out, they have to be very careful not to step on anyone's toes but $40 shipped. $35 was the best I found. I found them on higherfi, but they are grey market.

Joey.
    This guy just sold some for around 24k. He's a dealer in Italy. Maybe drop him a line with your interest and see what kind of deal you can make.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-sonus-faber-stradivari-homage-new-open-box-2015-02-02-speakers-40125-bologna-emilia-romagna
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options

Hey TOOOOONY...

Joey.
    This guy just sold some for around 24k. He's a dealer in Italy. Maybe drop him a line with your interest and see what kind of deal you can make.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-sonus-faber-stradivari-homage-new-open-box-2015-02-02-speakers-40125-bologna-emilia-romagna

Dropped him a line weeks ago but no response. Problem with international is that the US distributor might not provide parts should something go wrong.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,797
    Options
    OP, I may have missed this, and this is just my curiosity. Have you listened to the bigger SF's? What were your thoughts? Those are my lottery speaker but I was curious what your thoughts were. I'm sorry to high jack the thread. I do know they sound different from the Strads as II never like SF's until I heard the Aida's. And I'd LOVE to get my ears on the new Liliums.

Which speaker were you referring to btw? Were you referring to Strads, Aidas, or Liliums? Like I said above, I've heard of the 2 of 3.

I gotta say, flat out, as far as I know and as far as I've experience this far in my audio adventures - the best sound I have ever heard were the Strads. But I gotta hear it one more time to be sure that I heard right.

I was referring to the Aidas. The Liliums I'm not sure have hit the street yet. They were just released. I've heard the Strads, I didn't like them as much as the Aidas. What I loved about the Aidas was I heard them in a smallish room and a large room where they could breath and to me, it made no difference. Turn down the volume and they didn't lose their coherence the way some large speakers do. Of course you would expect that from a $120K speaker right?

Incidentally, I'll be headed to Paragon on the 27th for the release of the Wilson Sabrinas. I will check to see if they have the Liliums then. I'm sure they will have an
    event for those as well.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    Options

I was referring to the Aidas. The Liliums I'm not sure have hit the street yet. They were just released. I've heard the Strads, I didn't like them as much as the Aidas. What I loved about the Aidas was I heard them in a smallish room and a large room where they could breath and to me, it made no difference. Turn down the volume and they didn't lose their coherence the way some large speakers do. Of course you would expect that from a $120K speaker right?

Incidentally, I'll be headed to Paragon on the 27th for the release of the Wilson Sabrinas. I will check to see if they have the Liliums then. I'm sure they will have an
    event for those as well.

Ah I see. The aidas are very expensive and they will require at least a well contained 22x17 foot room.... at least. Big speakers, much bigger than I thought reading the reviews. I have heard them but I made sure not to be caught in their "trance" so to speak because I cannot reasonably afford a pair.

I see there's one for $75 on audiogon and I did think about it once or twice, but there are many other things that can be bought for the delta in price.

I have not heard the Liliums but the impressions are coming in at AudioAficionado. Liliums look good... but retail at $80? I think they are not in my sights.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    That's my problem too Joey...is that last half of a percent in performance worth the extra 3 to 4 times in price? I have some lottery speakers that I wouldn't hesitate to buy but the realist in me also realizes that until the winning lottery ticket comes in, I can't really justify that kind of dough on a speaker that really needs its own room built around it. Until then, I have to find the best bang for the proverbial buck.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    brianle wrote: »
    I love the Dynaudio c4]

So Brian what do you have power those sweet babies???

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    That's my problem too Joey...is that last half of a percent in performance worth the extra 3 to 4 times in price? I have some lottery speakers that I wouldn't hesitate to buy but the realist in me also realizes that until the winning lottery ticket comes in, I can't really justify that kind of dough on a speaker that really needs its own room built around it. Until then, I have to find the best bang for the proverbial buck.

I sort of feel the same way, but I have to admit the Magico S5s still make me start laughing with pleasure. They are that good compared to what I was used to. When I saw them for sale for $10k less, and only four months old I knew I would be a fool to pass up that deal.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Btw, Halen, if you buy those 800 diamonds down there and bring it to your place, I will seriously bow to your deal making abilities. I wasn't able to close but if you are, you sir are a boss. :D

Joey,

I am not interested personally. My brother in law was interested in the amps only and is willing to get everything and flip the speakers. He is hardcore Harbeth.

I am in Houston, made a detour and picked up some Pass Labs. Haha

Halen
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I sort of feel the same way, but I have to admit the Magico S5s still make me start laughing with pleasure. They are that good compared to what I was used to. When I saw them for sale for $10k less, and only four months old I knew I would be a fool to pass up that deal.

And I still hate you for rubbing that in. ;)

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • brianle
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    brianle wrote: »
    I love the Dynaudio c4]

So Brian what do you have power those sweet babies???

Still on my wish list :smile: I'm using the Ayon Tritton to power my Dynaudio s5.4
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

So you have S5? wow.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »

Joey,

I am not interested personally. My brother in law was interested in the amps only and is willing to get everything and flip the speakers. He is hardcore Harbeth.

I am in Houston, made a detour and picked up some Pass Labs. Haha

Halen

Halen yo

Man, we could've had a deal then... i get teh speakers and he gets the 1201. I feel bad that the deal didn't work out, but it's ok, it just was not meant to be.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    802 diamonds are as good as mine, offer sent in pending acceptance, will be freight shipped to my house. This is great.... it'll give me an idea of how my room sounds and if it sounds phenomenal, then I will move them to the living room downstairs at some point and I will move up to the 800 diamonds.

Or I may just listen to the Strads again in Chicago in April and realize that I was destined for Strads and I may either have both the 802 diamond and the Strad sharing the media room or the 802 diamond will get sent to the living room for secondary duty.

Either way, it's finally nice to see things come together.

Now, what to do about that pair of SF Guarneri Mementos in Oklahoma city....
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Congrats on your long, up and down journey. As for the SF's, I feel you should Karma them off in the club house :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Congrats on your long, up and down journey. As for the SF's, I feel you should Karma them off in the club house :p

Karma them off? LOL... i almost spat out orange juice man.... i was thinking of karma-ing some other speaker, but not the Mementos man.

thanks!!
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    LOL and here I thought I was being generous when I karma-ed a pair of SDA 2s. Count me in! ;)

• B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    Options
    In! Great Karma! Haha just kidding, i've been following this thread can't wait to see what you end up with.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156