Speaker choices - anyone has any opinion on either of these? BW 800 Diamonds or SF Strads.

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ah.. the PM1. Those are nice bookies.

Hey Halen - are those recent pics of the Cremonas? Those are discontinued and it would be very interesting if they still have them until today because then they would be discounted demo items.

These are the Guarneri Mementos in Graphite. Basically the same pair that I'm looking at.
    80987_2.jpg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    If only one of these showed up... so nice. Strads....

But not sure if I can pull the trigger on both an 800 diamond and a pair of Strads. Would have massive buyers remorse after I see the damage, lol.

200611_soundspace3_600w.jpg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah I figured. I heard the Cremona auditor m bookshelf next to the olympica I bookshelf (current version of cremona) and I thought the Auditor M was better.

It's been so long that I can't even remember if I had the Auditor M in the past... I know I went through TWO Cremona auditor and I had the original version for sure but not sure if I had the M the second time around. This was back in 2008.

I recall the auditor original bookshelf sounding good but just did not scale with my amps at that time. I don't recall if the auditor M had or has this issue. Gorgeous speaker though.

I was looking for a used pair of cremona m floorstanders but never found a good one on gon
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Auditor Ms are on the short list for the bedroom system when we build.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Auditor Ms are good. Must be a nice bedroom system you building there.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Well it is on the plan for our build. Heh

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    For me the PM1 is good but when you direct a/b it to the 805 diamond bookshelf, it's no contest. But I like the PM1 so much that I would like a pair somewhere. The best I've heard remain the Strads. But the 800 diamond come a close 2nd.

The strads are Serblin's ultimate work. It's the most neutral of his work and displays the best tonality, midrange, and bilateral extension in the low and high frequencies.

There's a reason why every nut out there who owns a pair of strads don't let them go. Go on audioaficionado and the favorite speaker is likely the Strad. And this is the reason why it's been so difficult to score a good deal on audiogon... They are just so rare.

For me it's about realism. If I can't suspend disbelief, then for me it's just another speaker. And I'm not in the business of buying another speaker.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    MASSIVE CURVEBALLS!!!!

SO, furniture arrived in the game room... and now, there is no spot for something 22" wide... like the Elipsa SE that I have been in contacts with on audiogon. ARGHHHH!!!

Only thing I can fit is typical narrow baffle speaker 12" max.

Worst day ever. ....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,138
    Options
    If you need narrow then Dynaudio would be my choice
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I tried to see if the wife would let me have the speaker hang out of the corner and into the hallway but it was a no.

So now I'm trying to rearrange furniture to see if I can fit the elipsas.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm thinking its about time to sit back and take things in for a while. Your anxiety level seems to be growing with all this.

lol
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I tried to see if the wife would let me have the speaker hang out of the corner and into the hallway but it was a no.

So now I'm trying to rearrange furniture to see if I can fit the elipsas.

Joey,
    If your that cramped for room, only have 12 inches or so for speaker placement, then maybe you have too much furniture in the room ? What speaker will sound good sandwiched like that anyway ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Skip -

Sit back? Nah. What's sitting back going to do? When you see a good deal, you jump on it. When opportunity knocks, you answer it... and that just doesn't pertain to audio. Waiting for the next opportunity is a waste of time because it may never come along.

The guy's hurting to sell, the market's soft and no one can apparently buy it - so I'll do it for the right price.

You've met me - how am I anxious? Not anxious at all. I just want things to get done. What's the point in sitting back and taking it in for a while? The room isn't going to fix itself and the system isn't going to assemble itself.

Tony -

The room is not cramped at all, the problem is that the wall across the couch is like a 2/3 wall because there's a hallway there to another room. The issue becomes that if I try to center the TV, the speaker hangs out to the left of the TV (and into the hallway) while the right speaker is very well accommodated. I'll send you a pic, I think I still have your email.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ... the problem is that the wall across the couch is like a 2/3 wall because there's a hallway there to another room. The issue becomes that if I try to center the TV, the speaker hangs out to the left of the TV (and into the hallway) while the right speaker is very well accommodated.
    Man do I understand what you mean here. There's a house that I really like but it has the same type of challenge. The upstairs living room has the off center 2/3 wall and the downstairs family room is long and narrow with the side openings in the wrong place. As much as I like the house, I don't know how the heck I would lay out each room. To make matters worst, the Mrs. now says that she does not want big speakers in the living room. So the dream of a second two channel system may be in jeopardy.

Challenges, challenges...

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2015
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    ... the problem is that the wall across the couch is like a 2/3 wall because there's a hallway there to another room. The issue becomes that if I try to center the TV, the speaker hangs out to the left of the TV (and into the hallway) while the right speaker is very well accommodated.
    Man do I understand what you mean here. There's a house that I really like but it has the same type of challenge. The upstairs living room has the off center 2/3 wall and the downstairs family room is long and narrow with the side openings in the wrong place. As much as I like the house, I don't know how the heck I would lay out each room. To make matters worst, the Mrs. now says that she does not want big speakers in the living room. So the dream of a second two channel system may be in jeopardy.

Challenges, challenges...

I hear ya man.... I have rearranged the furniture to be "offset", now I have room for the Elipsas but the room just isn't as well laid out. I'm trying to see if I can live with it.

And just to let everyone else who was following this saga to the 800 Diamonds/1201 Houston... the guy backed out. Says that he could not find an invoice.

That was a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately... so plans must be readjusted. Oh well, would've been a good deal. :neutral:
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Some days you're the seagull, some days you're the hood of a clean car. Don't sweat it man. If it was meant to be it would've happened.

• WLDock
    Options
    So what now? Wait and see on the Elipsas? Are you considering the dealer for the Diamonds or waiting for used to show up again?

Have you listened to the Focal Utopia or Legacy Aeris? Thoughts?

I heard the Focal Stella Utopia and the Aeris and thought they were both nice. Like always would love more time...especially the Aeris.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    WLD

Dude man... You do know the Stella's are like 90 large right? Lol!

I hear ya Z. If it wasn't meant to be then it wasn't.

One thing I was thinking seriously about was going 802 diamond used for now and then waiting for the next 800 diamond version 3 upgrade to come out in 2016/2017 and buying that. 802 diamond used is much more palatable and would be a smart financial move relative to buying the 800 new.

Ah well, decisions decisions.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    And the 800 rarely if ever come to market. I watched audiogon like a hawk. Only 1 pair came on... And I was in the middle of vacation when it popped up. So by the time I got to the guy, given our time zone difference, someone beat me by a few hours. Plus I waffled like an idiot....

So now I'm not going to waffle when I see something legit.
  • WLDock
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dude man... You do know the Stella's are like 90 large right? Lol!
    Yeah, crazy right? I was not recommending anything. I was just wondering since you liked the 800 Diamonds sound how you feel about the Utopia house sound or Legacy sound. IMO, they all seem like speakers with a lot of flair on the top end and the bottom (As well as looks) and they all just let it all hang out....but what do I know? I've very limited exposure to the stuff...probably heard more Utopia car audio systems than home, LOL!

Like the 8oo's the Aeris and the Utopia sure are "Pretty." If I were at a higher(Not the highest!) echelon ($30K-$50K+system) of the game, the Aeris is one I would have to really sit down and listen to. Also, the Sony SS-AR1 with the Scan-Speak drivers were giving me something when I heard them....would have to spend a ton of time with that one too. However, then you start reading there is always someone that likes the Scan/SB Acoustics Aerial Acoustics 7T (or something else) over them...and that makes one want to go out and listen...and on and on.........

Man, the "high End" is crazy...some of us may never get there...but there is always hope and small chances to listen to other peoples stuff.
    Post edited by WLDock on
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Not a fan of dipole/bipole speakers.... thats my issue.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options

Yet you love your Martin Logan's? >:)

Obviously not any more though.lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yet you love your Martin Logan's? >:)

That's why I'm moving away from the ML.

Let me rephrase that. I don't *mind* the dipole sound. I just don't think I'm going to go in that direction this time around for my main system.

But I can appreciate a dipole system nonetheless, was still looking and considering another ML for the living room for the future.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,883
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Heard VS before.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    802 diamonds might be a reality by later today we will see. Gives me elbow room
    For the new 800 series when they come out and will allow me room to get the strads if I stumble onto a good deal. I'm ready whenever a strad comes up
    For 20. But I'm not paying 30 for a demo pair. I already have a deal for 35 locally from an auth dealer on a new one and I still hesitated to pull the trigger because of the price. Deal is still on the table but I think I will just keep waiting until the right deal pops up on audiogon.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    My problem with the elipsa is if I get one then I cannot get the strads.

The guy with the used 802 diamonds is calling me today.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    I think the 802s are a solid transition anyway. While the 800s are the goal, the 802s will give you 9/10s of what you want at a much cheaper price giving you a hold over until you can drop the big coin on the exact deal you want on the end game speakers. Good planning imho.

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Options
    OP, I may have missed this, and this is just my curiosity. Have you listened to the bigger SF's? What were your thoughts? Those are my lottery speaker but I was curious what your thoughts were. I'm sorry to high jack the thread. I do know they sound different from the Strads as II never like SF's until I heard the Aida's. And I'd LOVE to get my ears on the new Liliums.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I have heard Strads and Aidas. I did not hear Liliums as of yet. I skipped the Amati Futura because I was aiming for Strads. I've only heard Strads once but it was a significant moment because it was the one time (until I heard the tubes on the 802 Diamonds 6 months later) that I said to myself.... so this is what hifi is supposed to be like.

And it was awesome.

Then my friend over at martinloganowners forum had heard about my escapades with the SF Stradivari and he told me that Paragon dealer was nearby in Ann Arbor, MI. His reaction to the Strads were the same as mine. Tim is my friend and has great ears.

---
    Hi Joey. Missed this. I found the Strads very enjoyable. One of the best sounds I have heard. They were in a room that was a bit small so I couldn't let them rip but listening to strings on them was magic. They had this ability that some speakers have to 'move air'. The Maggie's have this - I don't feel the Logan's do. You may have saw that I listened to the Wilson Alexandria XLF in the same session. I liked the Strads better - which Gary was appalled with since he could not see how a 200k speaker would not be better. For my application it was.

As I said the front end was all tube... Ivan moved his back to his tubes... And you have those gorgeous Cary's. that with the detailed esoteric will be magic I think.

I know u have been thru the ringer but the holidays are close and if you are going back to Chicago - go listen to the 20.7 if you can in Evanston . Your room may not accommodate them though. In any case the Strads may indeed be better. I am going to listen to the 20.7 here soon and I will report back.

---