Speaker choices - anyone has any opinion on either of these? BW 800 Diamonds or SF Strads.

Options

Comments

• factorz
    factorz Posts: 353
    Options
    Well the nice thing about Vapor, Salk, and similar is that if you call you will most likely talk to the owner. They also tend to have a list of owners so maybe a demo could be possible in TX. I know there is a nice pair of 8's on the gon right now for a 3rd of your budget.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    JoeyV, I thought 802 Diamonds were totl for B&W .@ about $15k. I did hear them paired w/ some new McIntosh mono blocks and a Mac pre and disc player and sounded fantastic. I think there is one person who absolutely does not like B&W anything and that would be F-1 nut. No high end place in Jersey carries SFs so I never heard them but if Tony says they are the be all then go w/ them.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    There's an MBL for sale in Chicago through audiogon - 24K. Right there with the 800 diamonds. I am trying to set up an audition.
    There's a couple of sets of 802D's on CL right now.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/4881885485.html
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/4896608845.html

Also, there was a set of SF Amati Homage on there since forever. They were listed at about $7K...but I guess he finally sold them an is now selling the Odyssey Kismet Monoblock Amplifiers used to power them. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/4871991820.html

Also, did you see this 800D, HTM1 center, and three McIntosh 1201 monoblock combo in Cypress/Houston listed for a cool $29K? http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/4882342575.html

Since Salk came into the conversation(By others..), there is a set of SoundScape 8's for $5.5K on AG about 1 Hr southeast of Chicago in Valparaiso, IN (30 Min from me).
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-salk-sound-soundscape-8-near-mint-condition-2015-02-15-speakers-46383-valparaiso-in
    Might be interesting for one of your other rooms if not the main room? Should listen to Salks if you have not done so.

Heavy Hitters!.. Waay out of my league. Will sit back and eat popcorn until Joey decides.....I'm outta' here. LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up of the 800 diamonds in Houston. I just texted the guy. If it's 14000, I'm buying it today.

Then I'll have cash to spare for maybe that freakin nice pair of magico mini ii on audiogon. Too bad I'll need the Mac 1.2kw to power that bad boy... Lol.

WLDock wrote: »
    There's an MBL for sale in Chicago through audiogon - 24K. Right there with the 800 diamonds. I am trying to set up an audition.
    There's a couple of sets of 802D's on CL right now.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/4881885485.html
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/4896608845.html

Also, there was a set of SF Amati Homage on there since forever. They were listed at about $7K...but I guess he finally sold them an is now selling the Odyssey Kismet Monoblock Amplifiers used to power them. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/4871991820.html

Also, did you see this 800D, HTM1 center, and three McIntosh 1201 monoblock combo in Cypress/Houston listed for a cool $29K? http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/4882342575.html

Since Salk came into the conversation(By others..), there is a set of SoundScape 8's for $5.5K on AG about 1 Hr southeast of Chicago in Valparaiso, IN (30 Min from me).
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-salk-sound-soundscape-8-near-mint-condition-2015-02-15-speakers-46383-valparaiso-in
    Might be interesting for one of your other rooms if not the main room? Should listen to Salks if you have not done so.

Heavy Hitters!.. Waay out of my league. Will sit back and eat popcorn until Joey decides.....I'm outta' here. LOL!

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    JoeyV, I thought 802 Diamonds were totl for B&W .@ about $15k. I did hear them paired w/ some new McIntosh mono blocks and a Mac pre and disc player and sounded fantastic. I think there is one person who absolutely does not like B&W anything and that would be F-1 nut. No high end place in Jersey carries SFs so I never heard them but if Tony says they are the be all then go w/ them.

Yeah man, 802 are good enough to be my end all speakers. Wife told me, you better not regret this purchase and get what you really want.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Alright got a hold
    Of the Houston guy. Price is decent... He has an interested party from Canada. He bought from an auth dealer so it seems legit. I told him I have cash ready but I don't think he's keen on delivering to Dallas. We will see... Stupid heavy speakers, won't fit in a regular suv.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Joey, I'm 10 minutes from frisco. Come listen to the mini x man.

Alright, when are you free? I assume you're near mckinney or prosper. I am free this week mon - wed. Would love to meet up. Then you can help me with my system. Probably better tuesday... monday we have the storm coming through.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Joey,

Which places have you been to in the Dallas area? How do you feel about the new B&W D2 tweeters versus the original? I believe the D2 are more refined and could not really tell, based on the setup that I listened to.

I have always had a problem, when auditioning properly setup 800 series then listening to Sonus Saber, or Vienna Acoustics. The latter always sounded veiled. There are places here that carry both.

We have quite a group of guys in Dallas that are passionate about audio, would have been cool to meet up. By the way, Usher speakers have changed a few minds in this part of town and many are happy owners.

For a secondary system, you should also check out the Joseph Audio Pulsars. There is a guy down the street from me selling his.

Halen
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Have not looked at legacy just yet. no where to demo nearby that I'm aware.

Edit:

Just checked out the website, Aeris looks to be popular model based on the reviews. They also have this "V" that might be too big.

The Aeris would be my pick. Neat little option on those is the illuminated rear panel to view the crossover, kinda cool. Whisper HD's would also be nice. I think with either, Bill himself will come to your house, set them up and dial them in. Who else does that ?

Worthy of an ear shot Joey, but in the end let your preferences prevail.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    I have heard the pulsar a few times. They are an amazing speaker. For bookies the pulsar is one of my faves.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WLDock
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up of the 800 diamonds in Houston. I just texted the guy. If it's 14000, I'm buying it today.
    Good luck man! Would be a first for me.

Its not everyday you get to help someone buy $14K speakers.

I
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Joey,

Which places have you been to in the Dallas area? How do you feel about the new B&W D2 tweeters versus the original? I believe the D2 are more refined and could not really tell, based on the setup that I listened to.

I have always had a problem, when auditioning properly setup 800 series then listening to Sonus Saber, or Vienna Acoustics. The latter always sounded veiled. There are places here that carry both.

We have quite a group of guys in Dallas that are passionate about audio, would have been cool to meet up. By the way, Usher speakers have changed a few minds in this part of town and many are happy owners.

For a secondary system, you should also check out the Joseph Audio Pulsars. There is a guy down the street from me selling his.

Halen

Halen -

Just looked at your sig.. wow you got a lot of systems! Would love to meet up man, I need to have a group of audiophile friends down here. Definitely want to get my ears on your gear. You have a few that I want to hear - LSiM705, Usher 777 DMD.

I have been to all the Dallas audio stores. I usually go to Vu at Hi End. He has Rockports and BW. His BW set up is not the best though, I've been able to hear it better when the dealer just lets me set it up my way and with my gear.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Have not looked at legacy just yet. no where to demo nearby that I'm aware.

Edit:

Just checked out the website, Aeris looks to be popular model based on the reviews. They also have this "V" that might be too big.

The Aeris would be my pick. Neat little option on those is the illuminated rear panel to view the crossover, kinda cool. Whisper HD's would also be nice. I think with either, Bill himself will come to your house, set them up and dial them in. Who else does that ?

Worthy of an ear shot Joey, but in the end let your preferences prevail.

I saw that... cool little crossover window.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good luck man! Would be a first for me.

Its not everyday you get to help someone buy $14K speakers.

I

Thanks brother man... you found something I missed. I told the wife just now, she gave me the full green light.

He offered me 14.5... but I think I can get him down to the 13s if his other deal doesn't go through. I have to literally drive a UHAUL down there and pick it up. It'll cost me probably close to 14 after all is said and done.
  • WLDock
    Options
    If all goes well, I'm sure it will be one of the best U-haul trips of your life. :)

Myself, I've driven just as far for less...4 Hrs r/t for my surrounds, 6 Hrs r/t for my mains, 4.5 Hrs r/t for a previous receiver. I was HAPPY every time. Even had some CL items shipped with great success. Most of my stuff comes from used CL deals out of State.

All Hail To Craiglist!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Joey,

I like to have several setups that sound completely different from one another. I don't like similar. Haha. It really comes down to my mood, there are times when I prefer the sound to come to me and times when I want to be drawn in.

The past several months, I have been in an overhaul mode. I had two pairs of the LSIM 705s but no longer own any. The Usher 777, I may own forever. I should have my home theater completed soon as well as setting up another 2 channel system. I am leaning towards either Dynaudio or Elac.

Lone Star Audio Fest is approaching, build up your alcohol tolerance as there will be lots of it with music. My doors are open, just no shoes in the house. Haha

Halen
  • Joey_V
    Options
    You need to hear my ushers or marvins first as his 777's are a little different sound from most usher products. Welcome to dallas, where we have many great Polkies. We do LSAF every May and I ususally host a meet before or after the major holidays. Wish you had checked in as we just had one three weeks ago.

Any chance you have a 4 yr old playing t-ball?
    Nah on the 4yr old... I have a 10 month old who plays with boxes and eats toys.

You count me in man... I'm a polkie too!! I need to hear your ushers
  • Joey_V
    Options
    If all goes well, I'm sure it will be one of the best U-haul trips of your life. :)

Myself, I've driven just as far for less...4 Hrs r/t for my surrounds, 6 Hrs r/t for my mains, 4.5 Hrs r/t for a previous receiver. I was HAPPY every time. Even had some CL items shipped with great success. Most of my stuff comes from used CL deals out of State.

All Hail To Craiglist!!

Hey he want to sell his Mac amps as part of the deal... Wasn't really looking into it though... What should I do?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Well, ya need amps for one of the other systems ? Snag 'em if you can get a deal. Worst that could happen is you re-sell for a profit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Well, ya need amps for one of the other systems ? Snag 'em if you can get a deal. Worst that could happen is you re-sell for a profit.

Kinda expensive...
  • erniejade
    Options
    What model mac's?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    What model mac's?

Mcintosh mc1.2kw aka mc1201
  • erniejade
    Options
    Agree with the power thing. The 402 i run when kicked up can dim the room. I need to get a dedicated circuit in the den like I had in the basement.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    if your deal falls through it can't hurt to go give these a listen. they are local.
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-pbn-audio-liberty-loudspeakers-2015-02-19-speakers-76092-grapevine-tx
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you going to invest in the power lines necessary to push those amps?

Joey, if things get better tomorrow afternoon, feel free to come out. My district already cancelled school, so I'm off for the day. Denton doesn't play with the first few ice/freezing rain threats during a school year.

Hey Skip

Tomorrow might not be good, my wife already had to cancel her plane out to Chicago.. tuesday?

I have dedicated outlets in my media room where the amps would sit. I knew I was going to need one so I had them install a dedicated 20 amp circuit independent of the room.

Now that I look back, I could've used a few feet of room extra, could've used MORE dedicated outlets - like 3 total instead of 1.

*Sigh*.... more mistakes.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Agree with the power thing. The 402 i run when kicked up can dim the room. I need to get a dedicated circuit in the den like I had in the basement.

Crap.... with 1.2KW, it's going to be hilarious!!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Looking at the weather reports, if it does ice over, I'm not going to get into work on Tuesday either. I suspect the roads will be great by 2ish, and I won't have any plans if the ISD shuts down again.

I hope the icing is done by morning... My wife has a Tuesday flight.
  • WLDock
    Options
    Hey he want to sell his Mac amps as part of the deal... Wasn't really looking into it though... What should I do?
    I think it sucks to try to sell such expensive gear as a package....and the guy stated that he is selling due to a move?

• Joey_V
    Options
    I think it sucks to try to sell such expensive gear as a package....and the guy stated that he is selling due to a move?

Yo bud... I will let you know what he says in the morning. If he has to sell the entire package and say he gets it to me for a good deal - say 20K for the 800 diamonds and the MC1.2KW amps, then I will take it. Worst case scenario, I can sell to break even - looks like on audiogon a pair of these amps go for 12K... if that's the case, I wonder if I should just buy his 3rd amp and just sell that then.

• WLDock
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That might be something to consider.

There was a single new one that sold on ebay for $9.5K w/ 45 bids. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcintosh-MC1-2KW-1200-watt-mono-amplifier-/281561306829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418e5c96cd

There is a HTM1D center channel on Audiogon for $6.5K
    http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-b-w-htm1-d-center-channel-speaker-rare-find-pristine-2015-01-27-speakers-11977-westhampton-ny

B&W Nautilus 802 & HTM-1 & SCM-1 for $9.5K
    Read more at http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-b-w-nautilus-802-htm-1-scm-1-theater-near-san-francisco-2015-02-21-speakers-94403-san-mateo-ca#5Vrh7BUoWSykS2jc.99

Buying the whole system for a great price and selling the center and third amp might sweeten the deal? You would need to decide if the Mc's are for you. There seems to be mixed feeling(Like everything else!) about the big Mc's amps mated with the 800D's over on http://www.audiokarma.org/
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?21940-Big-Mono-Blocks-driving-800D-s
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199264
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?27327-for-my-801Ds-gt-McIntosh-MC-1201-or-Classe-CA-M400
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?31009-800D-s-HTM1D-amp-MC1201-s
    http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=77864
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228066
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190697
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179901
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68004

I would think one would have to get the amps in there own system for awhile to really know. Especially given you have the Cary tubes....would need a lot of listening to really know what works. I don't know man, I'm out of my league on something like this. This is a huge purchase.

Anyway, switching gears.....I was reading a review on Tone Publications on the MC1.2K's and the review thought they were just OK being run on a single 20 Amp line. He felt TWO 20 amp lines were the way to go. Man, are you ready for this? You got solar or renewables on your home? (I work for a solar Inverter company:) Energy is cheap down there in the Dallas area...but still! Those amps are Hogs!
    http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_026.pdf

Walt
    Post edited by WLDock on