Important message about Club Polk...

Options

Comments

• Speedskater
    Options
    I have seen more than one forum that did a major change in firmware experience a large decrease in participation of the members. Much of it never returned.
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I kept trying to access the forum but constantly got Patrick's "we'll be right back" message. Finally found this place. NOT a fan. And I like change and shiny new things.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    I have seen more than one forum that did a major change in firmware experience a large decrease in participation of the members. Much of it never returned.
    ... but those forums might get new members.
    The odds of Polk actually making any money off of me are very small (although I might steer some business their way...). That said (and shooting my self-interests in the metaphorical foot!), some new blood here is probably in Polk's best interests.

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    So maybe all of us newer folks (me) and those who have been here since the dawn of Polk Forum need to step back and STOP posting for say a month and lets see just how remarkable this site will be to the folks that Polk seems to want, I betting that it will be crickets chirping.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I support that idea 100%. Someone let me know when we have the vBulletin format back again, like most every other audio forum. This is c-r-a-p!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's not just that this forum layout, appearance and navigation is silly it also is VERY unprofessional appearing for a company site. what Polk had before with the vBulletin setup was professional and polished. Had they spent a very small sum of money to upgrade that software, throw a few basic options on their end, the upgrade could of gone a whole lot better. Right now you have areas of the forum misplaced, hokey navigation and I'll get right to the point, a childish appearance. Is this the image Polk and DEI as a whole is going for? They've taken what once greatness and reduced it to complete lunacy.

*******************************************************************************

It's not like the Polk products are made in the USA anymore, so what is everyone really expecting?? Hard to navigate??? Not for this old dumb a.s.ss !! Sure the old layout looked better and seemed to be fine, so word to the wise, (especially you audio wise posters) take a chill pill, and if you need to back away (like a few of you keep saying you are going to do) please do that! The forum will still be here and the die hard's will still be here too. It's probably not easy to get it perfect out the gate, and you see the girl to the left is now on break, so bear with it all and don't threaten you'rte gonna leave...how kiddie boy is that?? I started out this reply by voicing my opinion as to the fact that the Polk product (for as far as I can see) is no longer made in the USA, so it was not hard for me (personally) to choose a different speaker than the LSiM 705's I was so excited about a month (or so) ago and now since I have made a USA based mad man my go to choice in high end audio gear, I'll still snag some 705's when they come around in the cheap..so do I still love me some Polk.....? He-double toothpicks Yeah I do! There are a few key members here that have made this venture fun for me, Tony B, Jesse, Ken S. Toolfan, Endrshadow, halo, soundfreak1, Teekay0007, Shurky, Dan (like a brother) aka oldfatdogs , deron1B (treats me like family) David Shirley and even Matthew Polk (how bout that) and these are members that I truly care about and all of you have been so nice to me, so I do really care about you and what you all think does matter to me. I hope you all hang in there and just be patient with this whole change. I'm thinking that things will get so good here that it will once again be the best audio forum on the planet. It;s you all that make it just that...NOT THE FORMAT!! Peace to all I mentioned and thanks for your kindness to me, It has meant a lot. I too will agree to back off for a while and just rip my CD;'s like a madman, practice my drumming (Lord knows I need that) and hope you all get the format that keeps you here. I will need you again and agan..lol but taking a breather after this post on that note. God Bless you all. THJ
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    you can upload your own icon, y'know -- maybe a happy faced cat?

Whaaaaattt! LOL
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    The last "upgrade" I dealt with, other than the new logo and forum graphics I was okay. But this...this is terrible! The navigation.....no "new posts"......damn. How long was this newest upgrade really thought about? I am a member nad/or haunt several other audio sites and I gotta say. This new site sucks! I know people don't like change and all. But damn Polk....this?

Thinking I might hang out at Audiomilitia.com more now. :(
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    no "new posts"......damn. :(

I think the "Recent Discussions" works the same.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    The navigation.....no "new posts"......damn.

Top right of screen, look for "Recent Discussions"

0g36ajhs8mmv.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Recent Discussions is better than nothing, but it is no where near as useful as the previous New Posts option.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Recent Discussions is better than nothing, but it is no where near as useful as the previous New Posts option.

Agreed 'fox...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I actually like the new Recent Discussions option better than the old New Posts. It still sorts by newest first and threads that have been updated since your last visit are tagged, I really can't find a fault with the new functionality.

The old New Posts section, however, seemed to use some combination of magic and unspecified logic to determine what to display there. Sometimes posts would be there for over a day, and then sometime it would just magically reset and there would be no posts listed...
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    halo, please don't leave we need you. And the 'recent discussions' button on the upper right is kind of like the new post option.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Hermitism
    Options
    I actually like the new Recent Discussions option better than the old New Posts. It still sorts by newest first and threads that have been updated since your last visit are tagged, I really can't find a fault with the new functionality.

I like it too. I like how it tells you how many new posts (the part that shows up in yellow) there are since your last visit in particular threads. It only does it for some threads. At first, I thought it only did it in threads I had posted in, but it does more than those. I think it does it only in threads I have viewed, but doesn't for ones I haven't ever viewed before. At least that's how I think it works.

Hey we agreed on something. High-five!

I really wish you didn't have to put your pointer over the avatars to see who is online. I wish it just said the people's names somewhere. Maybe keep the avatars to the right like they are, but put the screen names at the bottom of the page...or something. I can't remember what avatar goes with what person. I do know ken brydson's avatar looks like Pringles.

cqlo8z08oyd8.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    The problem with Recent Discussions is somebody might have made a post to an old thread. Unless you go through every page of threads you will not know a post has been made. If you notice there are 4,709 pages of threads in Recent Discussions. Is anybody going to look at all them to see if a new post has been made?

If Recent Discussions listed threads with new posts at the top then it would be useful. Now it is just blah.

The work around here is to go to every category and see if there is a new post. at least they still put threads with new comments at the top.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You mean if I dig up the old thread about black paint and make a post in it, it won't show up at the top of Recent Discussions?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    You mean if I dig up the old thread about black paint and make a post in it, it won't show up at the top of Recent Discussions?

good luck finding it in this mess...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    Options
    If I dug up that thread, I'm afraid I'd be shunned for doing so!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    I'm not following the confusion with the Recent Discussions list, works fine for me. Threads are sorted and presented in the order that last had activity, so if an old thread gets a new post it pops to the top of the list...
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The problem with Recent Discussions is somebody might have made a post to an old thread. Unless you go through every page of threads you will not know a post has been made. If you notice there are 4,709 pages of threads in Recent Discussions. Is anybody going to look at all them to see if a new post has been made?

If Recent Discussions listed threads with new posts at the top then it would be useful. Now it is just blah.

The work around here is to go to every category and see if there is a new post. at least they still put threads with new comments at the top.

• Hermitism
    Options
    I can't tell you how happy I was to search through page after page of threads with the words "black paint" in it, only to find John had already posted in it. Grrr.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,930
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Is there an easier way to delete your PM's?

I have pages of them now, all the way back to 2009. I have spent 2hours going through them, and I didn't get very far... This is really my biggest complaint with the upgrade..

My only other complaints is there is not a new post button, and the white back ground.. Everything else I think I can adjust to..

Maybe a mod can delete my PM box except the first page??
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Is there an easier way to delete your PM's?

I have pages of them now, all the way back to 2009. I have spent 2hours going through them, and I didn't get very far... This is really my biggest complaint with the upgrade..

My only other complaints is there is not a new post button, and the white back ground.. Everything else I think I can adjust to..

Maybe a mod can delete my PM box except the first page??
    I went thorough the same thing, and spent an hour doing it. There should be check boxes or something similar to delete multiple PMs without having to open each one.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    As far as I can tell the 75 limit isn't in place, so I'm curious why people feel the need to spend hours deleting their PMs? I may go thru mine at some point, but will probably wait a while and see if they come up with a better solution for tha tin time.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited August 2014
    Options
    How do I stop recording email notifications of thread updates????

Go to "account options" (the right most icon next to your user name on the main page).

Then notification preferences. Change it there.

Hope this helps

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Any way to turn off the "badges" we earn. Silliness, IMO. I don't care about badges or points for doing random things on the forum.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    As far as I can tell the 75 limit isn't in place, so I'm curious why people feel the need to spend hours deleting their PMs? I may go thru mine at some point, but will probably wait a while and see if they come up with a better solution for tha tin time.
    Unless someone brings it up, it won't be put on the "to do" list
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,084
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    How do I stop recording email notifications of thread updates????

Go to "account options" (the right most icon next to your user name on the main page).

Then notification preferences. Change it there.

Hope this helps

H9

But how do you turn of individual thread notifications? When I post to a FS I want to know when the other guys post back.

HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The big difference I see now with notifications is that every post to a thread results in an e-mail in my inbox from bmattielo. The old forum only did this after a visit to the forum (i.e., one e-mail to indicate new activity, not several - or even many - between visits).

Now, I am sure b is a swell person, but s/he is sendin' me too much e-mail; people will talk...
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,084
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The big difference I see now with notifications is that every post to a thread results in an e-mail in my inbox from bmattielo. The old forum only did this after a visit to the forum (i.e., one e-mail to indicate new activity, not several - or even many - between visits).

Now, I am sure b is a swell person, but s/he is sendin' me too much e-mail; people will talk...

Yea that is what I'm saying. I don't want to know when each and every one of the comments are posted. One is sufficient. The old system went one till I visited then reset I guess. Which is fine. This email for every comment is for the birds!
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I'm a-gonna try turning 'em all off and see how that turns out...
    Here, hold my beer...
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    What a clusterf*ck this is.....What's up with the little badge thingys? What do these afford us?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.