Official im old enough to remember when thread.

12346»

Comments

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited June 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nice car, probably wish ya still had it. The Grand Prix SJ's were sweet too. I could retire if I had half the cars I had back then.

I'll echo the other posters on what they remember, but I'll also add something to GG's thoughts. I remember when we used to have a frickin' gas around here without a mod being notified for every little thing.

In my day, gas, booze, drugs, were cheap and hookers were costly. Now, hookers are cheap and you can't afford much else. Which, on the flip side....women in general were cheap back then, now.....you can't afford to date one.

I remember when your dollar actually bought something that was worth......a dollar.
    I remember when a Mom and Dad ment a woman and a man.
    I remember when a teacher had some authority to discipline
    I remember when the ice cream truck came down the block and you didn't need to whip out a credit card.
    I remember bread carts....knife sharpening carts.....St. Joseph tables
    I remember when men were gentlemen....and women were Lady's.
    I remember the words "respect" and "personal responsibility" were a staple of modern society.
    I remember when going to college was deemed a privilege and not a "right".
    I remember we had jobs for anyone willing to work

Most of all, at the ripe old age of 5, I remember saying to my Mom...." It hurts and it won't go down".

She filled a rag with ice and told me to hold it there for a few minutes. :cheesygrin:
    I remember when your dollar actually bought something that was worth......a dollar.
    I remember when a Mom and Dad ment a woman and a man.
    I remember when a teacher had some authority to discipline
    I remember when the ice cream truck came down the block and you didn't need to whip out a credit card.
    I remember bread carts....knife sharpening carts.....St. Joseph tables
    I remember when men were gentlemen....and women were Lady's.
    I remember the words "respect" and "personal responsibility" were a staple of modern society.
    I remember when going to college was deemed a privilege and not a "right".
    I remember we had jobs for anyone willing to work
    Ah yes I remember it well...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • robinofsherwood
    robinofsherwood Posts: 25
    edited June 2013
    I'm originally from a slightly different culture but... I'm old enough to remember when:

Chicken was a treat that we had once a year at Christmas.........

Milk was delivered to the house by horse and cart, in large metal milk cans, and it was my job as a kid to run outside with two large jugs to be filled by ladle. Later they delivered to the doorstep in glass bottles. We could see the cream that rose to the top 2" near the bottle neck.

Soda? I would take the soda bottle, the type with the metal release valve at the top, and have it refilled with soda water at the local CO-OP store.

Soda? The only flavored soda was ginger beer supplied in large stone jars with a large cork stopper, delivered by... horse and cart.

Recycling? once a week the rag and bone man would come by with his horse and cart calling "ragbone, ragbone".

I remember, (now this is relevant to this forum) my very first audio source..... a windup gramophone, that I received as a Christmas present. It had a continuous speed control and three sets of needles, loud, medium and soft, that was the extent of the volume control.... I later removed the considerable wind up motor to power my Meccano erector construction set. Try listening to classical music on 78's (rpm) As many as a dozen fragile records in an....ALBUM.

I remember when our village of some 3,000 inhabitants where provided with two telephone boxes and hardly anyone had a private phone. We would arrange a time to call, by letter! and stand by our respective phone boxes to make or take the call. You'd meet others waiting and share gossip and the meaning of life etc. until it was call time....

I'm old enough to remember inkwells in school desks, pen nibs and blotting paper books.

I'm old enough to remember grinding my own photographic lenses because my parents couldn't afford a camera. (they weren't very good).

I'm old enough to remember the staggering amazement when as a teenager we bought our first B/W TV, and our first refrigerator. Life was changing in our small coal mining village. (I completed my mining training there, then three years later I was designing for NASA! Go figure, coal mining as an incentive to reach for the stars)

I'm old enough to remember when I designed.... it was one of my first design jobs, a specialized slide rule!

There's more, much more, but by now I've lost you all! How can you relate to memories from a time SO long ago?

But I'm still kicking! and half way through my SDA SRS re-model. Trey"s crossovers are on the way and I'm making progress with the cabinet updates.

Make it so..... and may the force be with you.
  • robinofsherwood
    edited June 2013
    Oh ! I forgot.....

I'm old enough to remember when vynil records were introduced, we would fling them across the room like frisbees amazed that they didn't shatter when they hit the wall!

I remember the introduction of stereo records and stereo FM, and going to special presentations at the local Music store to convince us that we needed TWO speakers and not just one!

Those where the days? I wish I could be around to see the holodeck commercially viable and other such nerdy things.
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited June 2013
    Oh ! I forgot.....

I'm old enough to remember when vynil records were introduced, we would fling them across the room like frisbees amazed that they didn't shatter when they hit the wall!

I remember the introduction of stereo records and stereo FM, and going to special presentations at the local Music store to convince us that we needed TWO speakers and not just one!

Those where the days? I wish I could be around to see the holodeck commercially viable and other such nerdy things.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?149762-What-year-were-you-born

That thread is calling for you. :biggrin:
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    edited June 2013
    Oh ! I forgot.....

So... What kind of lad was Benjamin Franklin when he was a boy? I wish I could have been there for the Boston Tea Party... wild times for sure!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2013
    I'm originally from a slightly different culture but... I'm old enough to remember when:

Milk was delivered to the house by horse and cart, in large metal milk cans, and it was my job as a kid to run outside with two large jugs to be filled by ladle. Later they delivered to the doorstep in glass bottles. We could see the cream that rose to the top 2" near the bottle neck.

Soda? I would take the soda bottle, the type with the metal release valve at the top, and have it refilled with soda water at the local CO-OP store.

Soda? The only flavored soda was ginger beer supplied in large stone jars with a large cork stopper, delivered by... horse and cart.

Recycling? once a week the rag and bone man would come by with his horse and cart calling "ragbone, ragbone".

I remember, (now this is relevant to this forum) my very first audio source..... a windup gramophone, that I received as a Christmas present. It had a continuous speed control and three sets of needles, loud, medium and soft, that was the extent of the volume control.... I later removed the considerable wind up motor to power my Meccano erector construction set. Try listening to classical music on 78's (rpm) As many as a dozen fragile records in an....ALBUM.

I remember when our village of some 3,000 inhabitants where provided with two telephone boxes and hardly anyone had a private phone. We would arrange a time to call, by letter! and stand by our respective phone boxes to make or take the call. You'd meet others waiting and share gossip and the meaning of life etc. until it was call time....

I'm old enough to remember inkwells in school desks, pen nibs and blotting paper books.

I'm old enough to remember grinding my own photographic lenses because my parents couldn't afford a camera. (they weren't very good).

I'm old enough to remember the staggering amazement when as a teenager we bought our first B/W TV, and our first refrigerator. Life was changing in our small coal mining village. (I completed my mining training there, then three years later I was designing for NASA! Go figure, coal mining as an incentive to reach for the stars)

I'm old enough to remember when I designed.... it was one of my first design jobs, a specialized slide rule!

There's more, much more, but by now I've lost you all! How can you relate to memories from a time SO long ago?

But I'm still kicking! and half way through my SDA SRS re-model. Trey"s crossovers are on the way and I'm making progress with the cabinet updates.

What a fun read. I'm guessing you grew up in the UK, Wales perhaps?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • WastelandWand'r
    WastelandWand'r Posts: 466
    edited June 2013
    I remember when Fat Albert and Hong Kong Phooey were the shizzle, until Masters of the Universe came along.

Then when people heard, "By the power of Greyskull" they knew the business was about to get serious.

Unfortunately, that is all I remember at this point, unless someone young is around and they remind me of other stuff.
    Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2013

Growing up in Pennsylvania must have been tough.

I remember my grandfather turning on the tv and the radio one night. We were going to hear a stereo broadcast. Somebody was going to broadcast one channel through the tv, and somebody was going to broadcast the other through the radio. I can't say I was overwhelmed. It just seemed at the time, to be the thing we were going to do on that particular night. The next night if we went to Coney Island for the fireworks, that would've been a bigger deal. At the time.
  • proffitt
    proffitt Posts: 157
    edited June 2013
    I remember the headlight dimmer switch in your car, was on the floor. And you turned down your high beams with your foot.

I remember rotary phone dialing. And I remember our "party line" phone. If the phone rang, it might be for our house, or one of our neighbors, miles away. And if you wanted to make a phone call, you'd quietly pick up the phone and check first to see if one of our neighbors was on the phone.

I remember when it would be offensive for the announcer NOT to say a prayer before a Friday night football game.
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited June 2013
    I remember the grocery store (safeway) had a tube tester where today's ATM is. About the same amount of real estate too.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited June 2013
    drumminman wrote: »

That would be my guess too. Still, good stuff there. Ink wells ? Now that's way back in the hot tub time machine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • robinofsherwood
    edited June 2013

Close, I grew up in what's left of Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire, England.
  • robinofsherwood
    edited June 2013
    George,
    That brought back shreds of memory of a similar experiment that BBC TV and BBC Radio conducted.
    My interest in representing the third dimension was awakened about this time. As a pre-teen I taught myself mechanical drafting and perspective drawing then experimented with stereo photography and eventually stereo sound. I suppose those were hard times in the coal mining village but I learned a lot about resourcefulness, making things happen in an alternative way. Good training for a future designer. (I was later to design for Schnieder Kreuznach, Kodak, Polaroid and.... the first Dolby equipped Norelco product).
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,977
    edited June 2013
    When I could sit in the cockpit of a plane and be given a set of wings to clip on my tshirt