Official im old enough to remember when thread.

Comments

• nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited May 2013
    I didn't see it yet...

I remember life before Facebook.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    edited May 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    I remember when doing choirs around the house was a given, not negotiable.

Had to serenade dad while he sat on the throne for three hours?:lol::lol:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2013
    Had to serenade dad while he sat on the throne for three hours?:lol::lol:

Ok...now that ones weird. :biggrin:

Also, doesn't say much for mom's cooking.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2013
    I remember farting and NOT seeing dust come out.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Lighting farts on fire.....boys will be boys eh ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,245
    edited May 2013
    Anyone up for a game of Lawn Darts?QUOTE]

I still have some I break them out when the kids come over....you can never be TOO safe:biggrin:
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2013
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember that I'm lucky the nonsense of my youth didn't kill me or someone else.

Very true and god there was a lot of that...nonsense.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2013
    I remember when zip codes were introduced and TV stations didn't start broadcasting until 4:30pm. "Hey boys and girls, what time is it?"

It's Howdy Doody time.....
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    I remember when Lawn Darts could kill you, before the newer safety tips came out..
    Fatchowmein I actually had a computer program published in the magazine Compute back in the 80's in high school, using the old Basic language 10" Hello"...............
    I most certainly did not Serenade my father while he was in the crapper..lol
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2013
    Opening a can of PBR with a church key
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013
    Jhayman wrote: »
    I remember when Lawn Darts could kill you, before the newer safety tips came out..

Safety tips killed Lawn Darts. The only reason why we need safety police these days is because the latter-day flower children out there were too lazy to discipline their kids.

The one thing I will never forget is being able to take a knife to school or a shotgun even, so long as you were going deer hunting after school. Back when I was a kid, my life was only impacted by my parents and my teachers, often times with a nice piece of oak for **** up. Today, the mere threat of that piece of oak would have been enough to get me declared an "emancipated minor" and my parents jailed for a felony.

The good ol' days aren't coming back until we decide to change things for the better.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2013
    I remember when the entire city shut down at 1:00 PM on Wednesday.
    Grocery stores had blank counter checks beside the register. Just pick your bank, fill it out and sign your name. No account number, nothing.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited May 2013
    Spending the night listening to the fm radio....stoner vinyl spun by stoner disc jockeys...it was always an inside joke amongst the cool
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013
    Even I am old enough to remember when the TV stations would sign off after playing the national anthem.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    Oh oh, I remember getting my first car stereo on credit at Majestic Sound Warehouse when I was 16 using only my Name and phone number for reference..even I thought that was really weird but Cooool, lol
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Even back then, small town USA was way different than major metro areas. Some resemblance of those differences still remain today. In small town, you could leave the keys in your car with the engine running anywhere you went. Even parked out on the street over night. You had a tab, at the grocery store and even more importantly....the tavern. Everyone knew everyone, and their kids and got into each others business. That worked out for the good and sometimes the bad. The local police knew you, your kids, and where everyone lived. Minor incidents were taken care of off the books, between neighbors and community. Most worked in the same handful of places, prayed at the same church, shopped at the same stores, drank at the same bars, fished the same lakes. Teachers all lived in the community and were well known. Fought like cats and dogs too, but god help anyone do any harm. Didn't matter if you didn't like so and so, neighbors had your back, regardless, when crap hit the fan.

Those days obviously are gone and small town USA isn't so small anymore or oblivious to the outside world. While most of those qualities of small town life have disappeared, many of the same principles carry on or at least try to in some communities. Neighbors helping neighbors, the elderly, trust in your fellow man, a general concern for those around you. Which, those are more human traits than geographical ones.

I have a small liquor/convenience store about 2 blocks away from my house I've been going to for about 8 years. The owner's name is Jack, and he's from India.....go figure. Anyway, I go in there to pick up a couple cartons of smokes. Here in la la land, that amounts to 151.00 clams. I forgot my wallet and tell Jack I'll be right back. Jack says to me, " forget it, hit me up tomorrow or the next time you stop in." Restored my faith in my fellow man....because he had faith in me. The wife will pick up some wine and be short and he will tell her pay him later. I'm sure many of you have a guy like Jack in your towns, It's just nice to know these people still exist and makes you a better person for it.

It's nice to reminisce of times gone by, but in the end the world is what we make of it. Be it our own little corner of the world in our small towns, or on a global scale. With that said, and in mind, have to say the old times are looking pretty darn good about now. :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    BTW- if I ever see another Lawrence Welk bubble, I'm gonna shoot my brains out. Back then you had local channels that was it. Channel 32 was like the forbidden channel with more leeway on their programming.

I remember when you could give the guys on the garbage truck a few shots of booze to take that old washing machine away.
    When you called the cops.....and they actually came.
    When stealing a candy bar ment your parents were called, not like today when it goes on your permanent record.
    When the Big Mac was .....well, big.
    I remember when a teacher could wack you upside your head and parents stood behind the teacher's actions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2013
    I remember when you could buy banana's for $.09/lb.
    I remember Nixon telling me he was not a crook!
    I remember when skateboards just came into "popularity" (I lived in San Diego) '73'ish.

I remember shopping in the S&H GreenStamp "showroom" with my mom and sister.
    I remember when I hired in with Whirlpool ('83) and there was not a computer in that "GINORMOUS" plant.
    Nothing but file cabinets..............:eek:
    I had to actually do a search through files, by hand!
    I had several 8 tracks in my vehicles!

Living in California, Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown" will NEVER forget that, living in Ocean Beach, eating pizza after a long day at the beach, and the restaurant had a VERY GOOD SYSTEM (R2R)!:cheesygrin:

It was a magical time I wish I had back!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    I remember when Trey was a snot nosed kid.
    When Jesse didn't have grey hair.
    When Phil was an audiophile......lol, just bustin' balls bro.
    When Brock was warm and fuzzy.....hard to believe eh ?
    When RT1 wasn't on mushrooms
    When Russman was funny
    When George Grand was somewhat young. Heck George, was Jersey even a state back then yet ?
    When Serpico pretty much defined how we all looked then.

I remember all the absolutely stellar people over the years who worked for Polk, and yes Ken, that includes you.:wink:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    **** bells Paul, when did California get any Pizza worth a mention ? :lol:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Systems
    edited May 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    **** bells Paul, when did California get any Pizza worth a mention ? :lol:

First "Square" pizza I have ever saw!

Killer seafood as you can imagine.
    Killer seafood "pizza" also!
    Shrimp, crab pizza (scallops).

SD knows how to make food, regardless!

I can remember going to "Anthony's" and they had Crab meat raw, no bones nothing, stacked over your head.
    Plastic snow shovel sitting there waiting to shovel the weight you wanted to buy.

I have been in other counties, and multiple states, but I have never seen better eating than San Diego!
    :cheesygrin:

Do a search for "Old Town San Diego" for the Mexican food.
    Nothing has even come close in my travels.........
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013
    pepster wrote: »
    Living in California, Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown" will NEVER forget that, living in Ocean Beach, eating pizza after a long day at the beach, and the restaurant had a VERY GOOD SYSTEM (R2R)!:cheesygrin:

Both Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" and R2R's are phenominal! You would be crazy for not wanting them back.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,224
    edited May 2013
    Casey Kasem...AM radio before FM
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013
    pepster wrote: »
    First "Square" pizza I have ever saw!

You must have been to Barone's... I go there twice a month, and it is excellent.:cool:

The best Pizza I ever had was in Indiana in a little town called Auburn.

I remember when the expression "it's a Doozy" was still being used every day and will never forget my time spent hangin out in the very place that the legends came to life.

• Systems
    edited May 2013
    I remember when I hired in with Whirlpool ('83) and there was not a computer in that "GINORMOUS" plant.

I did 20 Years there, we finally got computers ('86-'88?)!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Oh man...Pep, seafood....and I love seafood, has no business being on a pizza in my book. Barone's huh ? Wonder if their related to me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited May 2013
    Johnny West, Sam Cobra. This thread is great. :cheesygrin:
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Pf flyers.....Slow poks......rubbing grease in your hair, though now seems to be the norm. I remember when it took at least a foot and a half of snow to close school for the day. Now it only takes a few inches. I remember when I could run like the wind, now I have no wind. I remember when half the airplane was for smokers....really. Like the smoke in an enclosed plane wasn't going to bother anyone else. I remember baseball cards in the spokes of my bike....well, it was mine after I stole it. :lol: I remember prying the pin on shotgun shells, then throwing it against a wall.....and running like hell. Which makes me also remember what buckshot from a farmers barrel feels like.

I remember when.....I could remember half the stuff I wanted to remember. :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited May 2013
    I remember when "Lost in Space" and "The Outer Limits" aired in black and white. I remember watching the original, black & white version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still", starring Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Billy Gray, and Hugh Marlowe, when I was under ten years old.

I remember going to the store across the street from my elementary school and getting coconut bar cookies two for a penny. I remember the cookie treat called a "Rock & Roll", which was two gingerbread cookies, about 4" by 6" with scalloped edges, covered in hard, pink icing, for a nickel. (some may remember a "rock & roll" as a "stage plank". I remember getting Bazooka bubble gum two for a penny.

I remember oil cans which had paper sides and metal tops and bottoms. I remember when $2 would buy you FOUR gallons of gas.

I remember when the Intel 8080 was THE microprocessor. And, I remember playing PONG and thinking,"Wow!! This is really cool!!"

I remember when a verbal agreement used to be all that was needed to do business.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    edited May 2013
    I remember when you had to ask the pharmacist for rubbers.