Official im old enough to remember when thread.

Comments

• Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited May 2013
    Interesting JFK was mentioned. One of my earliest childhood memories. It was the first time I ever saw my mom cry and asked her why, and she tried to explain what happened to the President. And we were Canadian.

Oh, and I'm old enough to remember me and my best friend going halves on a Pong game ($65 as I recall and we couldn't afford it on our own) I'm guessing around 1974?
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2013
    I remember when stations had attendants to pump your gas, And they had gas wars. I remember 8 tracks and when we were fascinated by pong. Like it was said before when penny candy cost a penny or lest.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,224
    edited May 2013
    I remember being able to drive to school with a loaded shotgun hangin' in the back window of my pickup truck because as soon a the bell rang we were going hunting.

Had a smoking area in high school

You could grab a cold beer after work, set it on the dash board and drive past and wave at Barney Fife
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    I remember when Playboy and other nudie magazines only showed side and butt pictures. Kids today don't realize the suffering we endured trying to see naked women. :biggrin:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,454
    edited May 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    I remember when I could go to the corner tavern with my uncle and not get the evil eye from everyone.

Remember the 60 watt light bulb cashew warmer? Them and a glass of coke, livin' large. Some bars didn't have stools. If you couldn't stand up you didn't get served.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2013
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I remember when Playboy and other nudie magazines only showed side and butt pictures. Kids today don't realize the suffering we endured trying to see naked women. :biggrin:

Amen bro, amen :sad:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2013
    I remember when zip codes were introduced and TV stations didn't start broadcasting until 4:30pm. "Hey boys and girls, what time is it?"
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,731
    edited May 2013
    Too many to list but I remember buying my first house in 1982 at 18% interest...
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited May 2013
    I remember when the ambulance was parked next to the hearse at the back of the funeral home.
    I also remember "The Wonderful World of Disney" tv shows, then watching Columbo.
    I'd like to forget Disco, I still don't get ABBA, I think the were the Disco genre, but again never figured that out.
    I remember the start of rap music. Seems like every intersection you stopped at somebody was listening to Rappers Delight.
    I'd really like to forget that Duran Duran concert. Even though it was a weekend I'll never forget, the price was way too high.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited May 2013
    Too many to list but I remember buying my first house in 1982 at 18% interest...

Holy schnikey!:eek:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2013
    A plain seltzer water in a small "Coke" logo glass (no ice) was 3 cents. The same glass filled with Coke was 7 cents. The next size up "Coke" logo glass was 5 cents for seltzer and 10 cents for Coke. Those glasses were absolute standard issue in every candy store in Brooklyn.

Coke in the small, green, 7oz bottle for 10 cents, ICE COLD out of a machine with the hand crank thing. You pushed it down hard to get your soda. If you hit someone with that little bottle, you'd kill them.

A slice and a small Coke for a quarter. EVERYWHERE they sold pizza it was that way. 15 for the slice and 10 for the soda.

Buying the first nine or so Rolling Stones albums at Sears, Roebuck & Co. for the sale price of 69 cents each one Saturday. The true, red label, mono copies. THAT is why they were on sale for 69 cents each, nobody wanted the mono copies. At the time. Times sure do change don't they?

I remember gas at about 29-30 cents a gallon when I started entertaining the motoring public. By the time I became an associate of Texaco about 1972, it had shot up to 36.9. We were still busy.

I remember what our postal "zone" number was in my neighborhood of Brooklyn. Zone 30. It became 11230 zip.

I remember the guy on the corner, Doctor Adams, coming down to the house at the drop of a hat. Or a brick. Or off a garage or bike.

I remember mostly piston-engine airplanes, and jets being the new big deal.

I remember seeing The Soft Machine, The Chambers Bros., Janis w/Big Brother, and Jimi Hendrix for $2.50.

I remember seeing The Stones "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" at The Garden for $5 as a present to myself for my 17th birthday.

I remember when the Dodgers left Brooklyn, and left us with nothing but the rat-**** Yankees for a few seasons until Koufax, and then the Mets came along.

And I remember my life before it was destroyed by the rest of the pressures of society.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2013
    And I remember my life before it was destroyed by the rest of the pressures of society.

Amen to that George.....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,051
    edited May 2013
    I remember when a $50.00 hooker was $5.00...now let's's not read anything ino this now!!! :razz:
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited May 2013
    I'm old enough to not being able to remember !!!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013
    I was never old enough.:razz:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited May 2013
    I remember losing my 2nd house in 1983 when the oil thing went bust in Houston. Things like that change you. I remember watching the Outer Limits and not being able to sleep. I remember being in 2nd grade when JFK was killed and going home early and watching Oswald being shot on a new 19" B/W Sears Silvertone console. I remember our new 61 Olds Dynamic 88 seat belts were an option the new cars back then were kept in a parking garage covered.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited May 2013
    I remember having pictures taken of me and Methuselah playing when we were kids :smile:

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    edited May 2013
    Five cent cokes.
    Gas at 26 cents/ gallon.
    Watching television during the Cuban missle crisis and knowing we were the closest to nuclear war that we had ever been.
    The paralysis of the nation after JFK's death.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    edited May 2013
    I remember drinking Moxie "soda", 35 cent Sat. movie matinees, 5 cent candy bars but Lunch Bars were only 3 cents (cheap chocolate), my first bag of Barbeque potato chips, watching the first episode of Star Trek aire on a Thursday night, how scary some of the episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Theater were, of course JFK, Oswald and Ruby, 3 gallons of gas for a buck, manual transmission shifters on the column, half-moon hubcaps, full moon hubcaps, actually playing outside, gas station attendants that filled your tank and washed your windows, Valley Forge beer, Pong, nationwide 55 mph speed limits, Classics Illustrated comic books, when pocket change included Mercury dimes, Standing Liberty quarters and Buffalo nickels, when Westerns ruled the TV top 10, and a lot of other good/bad things.
  • heartystatue
    heartystatue Posts: 329
    edited May 2013
    I remember triple dip ice cream cones at Thrifty's for fifteen cents and S&H green stamps.
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3:biggrin: Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I, Essence HDACC.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited May 2013
    My first new car was a 57 Chevy rag top, 283. 3 on the column.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2013
    I remember when Eisenhower was elected to his second term, Alaska was named a state and there were only 165,931,202 people in the U.S.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited May 2013
    I remember going into a gun store to buy a pistol and all you needed was money to pay for it.

I remember being on the rifle team in High School and carrying my rifle and ammo to all my classes because the Boys Vice Principal didn't want it left in his office because the he would be responsible if it got stolen.

I remember going into the local hardware store to buy dynamite. And they always had plenty in stock. And the only thing that they warned you not to do with it was fish.

I remember when I trusted the government, and they trusted me.
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Good ones gents.

Remember Holly 4 barrel double pumpers, push button transmissions, and clutches you had to stand on with both feet to engage. I remember when Detroit put out cars people actually wanted, not the ones government wants you to have.

I remember when SNL was funny. When you could smoke and drink on stage. When gangs had baseball bats and maybe a knife or 2. I remember pitching penny's with the Latin Kings. Italian ice in paper cups, and the sweet smell of homemade pies. I remember when you could kiss a girl and not get arrested for assault. When you could drive with no seat belt or shoes. I remember when popcorn at the movie theatre didn't require a low interest loan. When people really cared about their neighbors. I remember when you could ride the subway and not be in fear of your life. When kids could go outside and play for 10 hours and not worry about some nutjob doing something to them. I remember when all a kid needed was a stick and a cardboard box to be entertained for hours. When parents were parents and not trying to be their best friends all the time.

I remember when life was simpler, more laid back. When our nation was building things, creating bonds, a sense of unity. Today we are more divided than ever.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited May 2013
    I'm not old after reading this.

I remember McDonald's using styrofoam instead of paper wrappers.
    I remember when kids in school could actually run a mile for PE and not die of exhaustion.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure all of our parents moaned and groaned about what they remembered as being a better life as well. I doubt everything was as good as all of you seem to remember or you are simply remembering it with the inaccuracy of youth. Everything is always easier when you are a kid and have no responsibilities. Once you are an adult, reality kicks you in the butt.

I'd much rather focus on the here and now and the future rather than exalting what's dead and gone and never coming back.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Kinda the point Cathy. Somethings should never be gone and should come back. Simple things like respect, personal responsibility, a trust in ones own government, etc.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,030
    edited May 2013
    I remember when not everything turned political and people generally minded their own business.
    I remember, before I knew better and smoked, when they would hand out free packs of Marlboros at the drag races.
    I remember as kids we would walk (1 block short of having to take the bus) to school in Illinois year round - and we liked it!
    I remember our first computer - the TI-99 / 4A.
    I remember when the Bears won the Superbowl and hope to see this again before I die.
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    I remember when you could actually work on your own car. When appliances lasted 30 years and not clunk out a week after the warranty expires. I remember when being an entertainer required some talent, and kids were allowed to fail.

I remember Tom and Jerry, Heckle and Jeckle, Clutch Cargo, Frazier Thomas, Mighty mouse, Mr. Green Jeans. I remember when you could insult your worst enemy and not have it become a national security issue. I remember when clothes were hand me downs and designer duds were only for the well to do. I remember when having a curfew ment just that, not 10 minutes later, not call me if you'll be late. I remember when doing choirs around the house was a given, not negotiable. I remember when musical groups had some talent either singing or song writing. I remember when playing dodge ball or other school yard games didn't involve lawyers.

Bears.....superbowl ? About as much chance as the Cubs winning the world series. :biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2013
    I'm not as old as some of you but I'll pitch in.

I remember two of my closest friends in 1st grade were girls and the 3 of us would hang out and I'd kiss one and run away and no one labeled me a sexual predator.
    I remember dad using a safety razor and I've finally tossed my 5 blade Gillette for a set.
    I remember summer meant kids riding bikes all over the neighborhood and the school year meant kids walking or riding bikes to school.
    I remember mom soaking my new jeans in the bathtub before the start of the school year.
    I remember McDonald's fries were the greatest treat my parents could buy along with 1 Coke before the days of free refills.
    I remember stumbling upon MTV and seeing my first music video, "Centerfold", by the J Geils Band.
    I remember thinking Alan Hunter, Martha Quinn, Mark Goodman, JJ Jackson, and Nina Blackwood were the bomb.
    I remember playing soccer on the Atari 2600 and the players were squares and rectangles.
    I remember typing...

10 PRINT "HELLO"
    20 GOTO 10