Official im old enough to remember when thread.

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2013
    "PF Flyers to run your fastest and jump your highest!"

Heckyll & Jeckyll for the record. If you want to know whatever BECAME of them, I'm living with them.
  • RduNC
    RduNC Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    On the sports side of things: I remember the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers-Red Army Game. The game was notable for an incident where, after a body check delivered by the Flyers' Ed Van Impe, CSKA's top player, Valeri Kharlamov, was prone on the ice for a minute. When officials did not call a penalty, the Red Army coach, Konstantin Loktev, pulled his team off the ice in protest. Flyers' Chairman Ed Snider told CSKA to return to the ice and finish the game, which was being broadcast to an international audience, or the Soviet Hockey Federation would not get paid the fee to which they were entitled. They eventually complied and lost 4-1. Hard to imagine that its been 37 years since that game.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 757
    edited May 2013
    I remember being my dad's television remote control. Dad would say, " Try channel 10, but you will need to rotate the antenna and adjust the fine tuning knob to get it in clear." I remember Saturday morning cartoons like Bugs Bunny and the great Hiawatha (totally racist by todays standards, but still funny as hell)! I remember watching Kung Foo theater after doing Saturday chores, and Abbot and Costello after Sunday Mass. I remember getting dressed up in my church clothes to go to the movies.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    edited May 2013
    How about that "Miracle on Ice"... I remember this as a moment when a nation started to believe in herself again.

Herb Brooks used to run a summer hockey skills program at Aldrich Arena on the east side of St. Paul, and I was fortunate enough to be able to skate with quite a few of those players that showed up to help Herbie coach us kids in the summer of 1980.

RIP Herb, and thanks for the memories.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited May 2013
    I remember being allowed to stay up and watch Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights (east coast of Canada, on Atlantic time) at 9 pm but I wasn't allowed to watch Bonanza unless Monday was a holiday because 10 pm was just too late...
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited May 2013

Heckyll & Jeckyll for the record. If you want to know whatever BECAME of them, I'm living with them.

I saw some PF flyers the other day. Didn't know they still made them.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited May 2013

I saw some PF flyers the other day. Didn't know they still made them.

I remember when gas was 19.9 cents per gallon :eek:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2013
    I remember when lawn darts were considered safe fun for the whole family.

Edit: Looks like I was beat to the punch.....multiple times. Still......

I also remember my first year of college, when cigs were sold in the school bookstore and cost a $1.10 a pack. I also remember when cigs were sold in convenience stores as looseys, 10 cents each, or 3 for a quarter.

When I first got my car, I remember being able to gas up (maybe not quite all the way), get a soda, and still spending less than a 10 spot.

I also remember checking albums out of the library on base, spending 99 cents on a blank cassette, and walla, a new tape in my collection, complete with the hiss/pop from my parents' cheap turn table.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • mystik610
    mystik610 Posts: 699
    edited May 2013
    I remember when video games were played on cartridges, and music was played on tapes =P
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    remember this..
    Monitor and Mouse NOT included....
    Tandy 5000 1989.jpg
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2013
    How many of you remember this: Commodore PET

One of my roommates' father was the CEO of the company. He had one, of course.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    edited May 2013
    I remember when kids actually wanted to work to earn money. Now I can't even find a kid to mow my lawn because they get everything for free from their parents.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,977
    edited May 2013
    Stores were closed on Sunday
    ,8,1 return (for those who had C64 or C128)
    video games on cassettes
    making my own sound effects for toys
    being able to buy cigarettes for a family member as long as I had a note signed by them
    people serving me on rollerskates at A&W
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013
    Oh ya my Junior High had 20 of them.
    I had a Commodore Vic20 and. C64 with tape drive and then got a 5 1/2" floppy very cool in those days..
    cnh wrote: »

cnh
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2013
    jflail2 wrote: »

They are still considered safe for everyone except the soft-skulled, and they're a bunch of geeks anyhow.
  • DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    edited May 2013
    I remember sending these offsite (and overnight) for computer programming

IBM_Punch_Card.png
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSiM 705 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiM 704c
    Oppo BDP-103
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,977
    edited May 2013
    I also remember being able to play with toy guns without people calling the cops on us or playing in the streets or neighbourhood with out the fear of pervs snatching us up.

We also had one of these pcs along with our C64

http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    edited May 2013
    Dforeman, I actually had a job punching those cards out on a stand-alone machine and then we fed stacks of those cards into a GIANT computer.
  • DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    edited May 2013
    dromunds wrote: »
    Dforeman, I actually had a job punching those cards out on a stand-alone machine and then we fed stacks of those cards into a GIANT computer.

dromunds - we sure have come a long way since then. :) It took weeks by this method to get any simple programming done. One little mistake -i.e shading in a wrong bubble - wouldn't be discovered until the printout of the program was returned 24 hrs later.
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSiM 705 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiM 704c
    Oppo BDP-103
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,142
    edited May 2013
    jflail2 wrote: »

Edit: Looks like I was beat to the punch.....multiple times. Still......

I also remember my first year of college, when cigs were sold in the school bookstore and cost a $1.10 a pack. I also remember when cigs were sold in convenience stores as looseys, 10 cents each, or 3 for a quarter.

When I first got my car, I remember being able to gas up (maybe not quite all the way), get a soda, and still spending less than a 10 spot.

I also remember checking albums out of the library on base, spending 99 cents on a blank cassette, and walla, a new tape in my collection, complete with the hiss/pop from my parents' cheap turn table.

Speaking of cigs. I remember going to the store for my aunt to buy some for her when I was under 10 yrs old. My mother would get mad if she heard about it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2013
    Had an old Commodore 64 'puter in the crawl space for years, just threw it out about 2 years ago. Didn't realize those suckers are worth some money now, go figure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2013
    monepolk wrote: »
    Speaking of cigs. I remember going to the store for my aunt to buy some for her when I was under 10 yrs old. My mother would get mad if she heard about it.

Yea, it was a different attitude back when. I remember my parents never, ever smoked, and still kept ashtrays in the living room in case we had guests over who did. I also remember smoking on airlines, and just about anywhere else for that matter.

Not that cigs are a good thing, but it is interesting to see the 180 in attitude.

And no cassette player was complete without a pencil handy nearby, just in case.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,224
    edited May 2013
    Willow wrote: »
    Stores were closed on Sunday

And we should return to those days when only groceries were available on Sunday.
    One day where everyone slows down for R&R and spends time with the family....just think how much energy we would save.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Spend time with the wife....the kids ? What are you nuts ?:lol:

Yeah man, I sure do remember those days. Grocery stores and movie theatres used to be the only things open. Funny how one certain chicken chain still adheres to that and gets knocked around pretty good for it.

We used to spend Sundays with the family, the extended family too. Was nice.....while it lasted. They say change is good, well...maybe so but not always.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited May 2013
    Jhayman wrote: »
    remember this..
    Monitor and Mouse NOT included....
    Tandy 5000 1989.jpg

Hell, I remember the 80086. And, the Commodor PET:

pet4032.jpg

And the Atari 800........
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    edited May 2013
    cnh wrote: »

cnh

Sorry! Didn't see your post until after I posted mine! I remember it though.:smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    edited May 2013
    Willow wrote: »
    people serving me on rollerskates at A&W

There is an A&W in Stayton, Oregon (about 15 minutes from me) that is a real A&W with people who serve you on roller skates. Also, if you are in the restaurant, they still have the phones at the tables you can pick up and contact the server to order your food. Unfortunately, they do not have the "fill up the bear" straws though. There are so few of these real A&W's left now. :sad:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited May 2013
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!"

Sharight!:rolleyes:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited May 2013
    I won a Village People album when I was in grade school. I'm not as old as some of you. I'm embarrassed because I thought it was a good album at the time. :cheesygrin:
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    YMCA.....YMCA.....:biggrin:

They had a few catchy tunes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000