Official im old enough to remember when thread.

scottyboy76
scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
edited June 2013 in The Clubhouse
I will start it off.

Im old enough to remember when I could buy three packs of drug store brand dental floss on sale and not have to pull out a ten dollar bill, (Not Joking)

Im old enough to remember when i was not old enough to say im old enough to remember when.....
humpty dumpty was pushed
Post edited by scottyboy76 on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    edited May 2013
    Im old enough to remember a nickel for a pack of gum, gasoline at 37 cents a gallon, and cigarette machines in the High School lunchroom @75 cents a pack!

I was smart enough to never smoke, but I was dumb enough to NOT buy 10k of Microsoft @IPO.( I bought a car instead):eek:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2013
    OK, I'm old enough to remember when you could buy a Batman comic book for 10 cents. And a candy bar for 5-10 cents. You could go to a Saturday matinee (double feature) with one dollar, pay for your ticket, buy a drink and some treats and stay to watch the film a second time!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2013
    I remember when Jesus was a private.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013
    I am certain Jesse is old enough to remember how dirt was formed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2013
    When we didn't have a whole bunch of jackasses here posting on a regular basis.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited May 2013
    I remember when gas was 25cents a gallon, riding in the back of a Chevrolet Turquoise and White BelAir with a fold forward front seat for me to get into the back seat, and watching Star Trek episodes air for the first time!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2013
    Our first new house was 900 sqft, 3 bedroom 1 bath and cost $11,000. Our first new car was a 1971 Pontiac Catalina, it cost $3200 (IIRC).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,572
    edited May 2013
    Youall are old----hehehe
  • boston1450
    edited May 2013
    I remember going to the DRIVE IN and it was 5.00 a car load....oh it was fun :)
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited May 2013
    Being a kid and not required to wear a seat-belt in the backseat of a car. Leaded gasoline. Notching holes in the side of 5-1/4" single sided floppy disks so the reverse side could be used.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2013
    I'm old enough to remember riding in the back of a truck with a blanket for warmth on the freeway.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2013
    House heated by wood stoves. Outhouse. Cars did not have seat belts. Dad trading in a 47 Dodge for a 54 Chevy. 7 cent small cokes out of a machine. 1st class stamp 3 cents. Cigarettes 21 cents a pack. Spraying the cattle with DDT in the summer to kill the flies. Paint can that bragged about the amount of lead it contained.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • jephdood
    jephdood Posts: 1,671
    edited May 2013
    I remember when we had to look up things in books. And when telephones had cords. And when we had to rewind our movies before driving them back to the video store.
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013
    jephdood wrote: »
    I remember when we had to look up things in books. And when telephones had cords. And when we had to rewind our movies before driving them back to the video store.

LOL I remember the be kind-rewind stickers too. Back then it would cost more than 300 bucks to replace a lost tape as well, because the store owners would charge you for the lost revenue as well as for the lost tape.

• jephdood
    jephdood Posts: 1,671
    edited May 2013
    Heh. Do you remember they actually sold VHS tape rewinding machines for home-use? Because some were afraid of wearing out their precious VCR's? Suckers. :-)

Ooh. Here's another: I remember Betamax.
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited May 2013
    jephdood wrote: »
    Heh. Do you remember they actually sold VHS tape rewinding machines for home-use? Because some were afraid of wearing out their precious VCR's? Suckers. :-)

Ooh. Here's another: I remember Betamax.

Um...I still have both the rewinder and a Sony Betamax that works with tapes!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    Ashtrays in everybody's house. Smoking in college classrooms, smoking at work, in the movies, everywhere. Driving to DC on a Friday night to buy buy beer since the drinking age was 18 in DC.

I was watching a great Bluray remaster of the original Terminator last night and laughing at the scenes where the Terminator and Linda Hamilton both went to a public phone and used the phone book. It's amazing how fast that disappeared. I also had to laugh at Hamilton's 80s hairstyle. I wish I could not remember that. :eek:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited May 2013
    Original Nintendo...

I'm not that old :cheesygrin:

However, my first tank of gas was under a buck/gallon when I got my license in '98. My one and only sub $1/gal tank of gas :cry:
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,101
    edited May 2013
    I remember bringing klick klacks (those round glass balls on a string that you violently shook to get them to hit one another they did get banned due to kids getting chipped particles flying off into your face), to school, along with the Duncan Butterfly yo yos, mountain dew was 15 cents a bottle and they had a picture of some farmer dude chasing a pig, that read yaa hoo mountain dew it'll tickle yer innards, plus it tasted better than todays dew. The memories.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013
    Anyone up for a game of Pong or Lawn Darts?

How about using baseball cards to make your Schwinn Lemon Peeler sound like a Harley?

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,454
    edited May 2013
    I'm old enough to remember that I'm lucky the nonsense of my youth didn't kill me or someone else.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2013
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Our first new house was 900 sqft, 3 bedroom 1 bath and cost $11,000. Our first new car was a 1971 Pontiac Catalina, it cost $3200 (IIRC).

Nice car, probably wish ya still had it. The Grand Prix SJ's were sweet too. I could retire if I had half the cars I had back then.

I'll echo the other posters on what they remember, but I'll also add something to GG's thoughts. I remember when we used to have a frickin' gas around here without a mod being notified for every little thing.

In my day, gas, booze, drugs, were cheap and hookers were costly. Now, hookers are cheap and you can't afford much else. Which, on the flip side....women in general were cheap back then, now.....you can't afford to date one.

I remember when your dollar actually bought something that was worth......a dollar.
    I remember when a Mom and Dad ment a woman and a man.
    I remember when a teacher had some authority to discipline
    I remember when the ice cream truck came down the block and you didn't need to whip out a credit card.
    I remember bread carts....knife sharpening carts.....St. Joseph tables
    I remember when men were gentlemen....and women were Lady's.
    I remember the words "respect" and "personal responsibility" were a staple of modern society.
    I remember when going to college was deemed a privilege and not a "right".
    I remember we had jobs for anyone willing to work

Most of all, at the ripe old age of 5, I remember saying to my Mom...." It hurts and it won't go down".

She filled a rag with ice and told me to hold it there for a few minutes. :cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2013
    2 for a penny candy (bazooka gum, licorice, pixie sticks, jaw breakers)
    5 cent candy bars
    dime cokes
    19 cent hamburgers
    99 cent six-pack of beer (cheapo Regal Select)
    35 cent cigs
    only 3 or 4 channels on TV (black and white I might add)
    baseball gloves that looked like this
    15746158-old-fashioned-baseball-gloves.jpg
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited May 2013
    I as well am not that old, but....
    I remember banana seats on bikes
    I remember marbles
    And i remember the Sunday morning dump run with my pops turning into "1 shot and 2 beers per house is what it costs me to get rid of your trash." We always did 4 houses every sunday.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Syndil
    Syndil Posts: 1,582
    edited May 2013
    I like to think back in terms of technology. I remember when data was stored on cassette tapes. I remember paying $300 for a 14.4k modem and being amazed that I couldn't read the text as fast as it was appearing on the screen. Blazing fast! I remember when I was the remote control for the TV, which had two giant clunky dials, VHF and UHF.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII
  • boston1450
    edited May 2013
    Smoking in grocery stores. Butts all over. Nasty nasty nasty
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    When car manufacturers used to whine that government regulations for seat belts, smog controls, air bags, mileage standards, etc. would increase prices so much that sales would decrease. Oh wait, they still whine that song. :rolleyes:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited May 2013
    I remember freaking out, because John started wearing glasses, and I thought he'd been replaced in the Beatles.
    I remember my father MAKING me watch some guy named Neil do something on television.
    I remember when when the last of POW's came home from Vietnam.
    I remember family movies being recorded on film, with a light bar that had no less than 6 floodlights!
    I remember my sister getting a Radio Shack Apollo II stereo. We played the hell out of that thing.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    edited May 2013
    I remember when JFK was shot.
    My first couple of cars didn't have seat belts.
    I remember as an adult seeing the wizard of OZ.
    That was a real shock that the 1st part was B&W, and OZ was color.
    I spent my youth watching it all in B&W.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited May 2013
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Smoking in grocery stores. Butts all over. Nasty nasty nasty

Smoking in the doctors office too. My family doctor we had growing up smoked like a chimney as well as his nurse.

If you had a dial on your TV you were lucky. We had a pair of pliers and rabbit ears made out of tin foil.

I remember you could say Merry Christmas to anyone and receive the same back.
    I remember when I could go to the corner tavern with my uncle and not get the evil eye from everyone.
    I remember a sense of community, belonging, that is missing today in many areas.
    I remember when sneaking into the drive-in movies wasn't a criminal offense.
    I remember when the cops would just take you home and let the parents beat the crap out of you. Now, you get booked and the parents would go to jail.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable