Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• 250GTLusso250GTLusso Registered User Posts: 162
    @Jaybeez , they are only a couple blocks from my work, and I have been tempted over the past several months to go look at them (but I already have a very nice pair of 2Bs). If they aren't close to you, I could always swing by on my way home and check them out for you. Let me know.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,728
    edited March 2018
    At $199 they are definitely moving in the right direction. Hit him at a hundred, maybe you can get them for 1 and a quarter.
  • JaybeezJaybeez Posts: 718
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    @Jaybeez , they are only a couple blocks from my work, and I have been tempted over the past several months to go look at them (but I already have a very nice pair of 2Bs). If they aren't close to you, I could always swing by on my way home and check them out for you. Let me know.

If you wouldn’t mind that would be great! I’m in Chino Hills but get to OC a couple times per week. You know way more about these speakers so I’d value your opinion on them after a live view and/or listen. Thanks!
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; LSiFX ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

Garage / Workshop rig : Plinius 9100 ; Monitor 7 Series 2 ; Teac TN300 TT

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    It's only teenage wasteland
    @Jaybeez , I'll reach out to the seller and see what I can set up.... Watch this space!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
    @Jaybeez , I just spoke with the seller. I am going to go see them around 4:00pm today. He said that they are hooked up in his living room, so I can listen to them.

Watch this space for an appraisal a little later this afternoon.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • lawdogglawdogg Posts: 348
    la2vegas wrote: »
    LSi7s

Nice, I really liked mine when I had them. I had the matching 400W(?) Polk sub with them too.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • kmeekkmeek Posts: 225
    @kmeek , looks like you have a cherry pair of SDA-SRS 2.3(TL?)s and SDA-SRS 2s! If you got those SDA-SRS 2s for $200, I hope you ran like you stole them, because you did! Wow, nice score.

@250GTLusso, Yes I lucked out on offerup the SRS 2's had litterally hit the press 10 minutes before I happened upon them and better yet she was like 10 minutes away. By the time I got there to get them apparently her phone was blowing up. The speakers were prestine except for the bottom grill cloth on one side was pulling away from the frame a little. Original owners with the manuals and cable. You hit the nail on the other pair they are 2.3's but not TL's they are early ones with the doughnut drivers (couldn't be that lucky). Got those as a package deal with a decent mirage subwoofer, some nice Audioquest cables and original SDA non-ground interface. Ended up reselling the Sub that I didn't need and have $300 in the rest....
    Congrats on the 2's you picked up.
    @Jaybeez , I just spoke with the seller. I am going to go see them around 4:00pm today. He said that they are hooked up in his living room, so I can listen to them.

Watch this space for an appraisal a little later this afternoon.

Awesome thanks! I have class in Irvine until 10:00 or so but will check back after. Very much appreciated and I owe you one regardless of how it works out.

Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; LSiFX ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    Is that $115 for both pairs?
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,358
    Sure looks like it to me. :o Dang, that's a GREAT price!!! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,735
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Is that $115 for both pairs?

It appears so, and not even 3 hours from me... If I could, I would.
    @Jaybeez , the Lake Forest SDA 2 recon mission is complete.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-speakers-sda-2/6490365747.html

Here is my assessment:

Model: SDA 2B
    Wood: Oak veneer
    SN: L SDA 2 22984
    SN: R SDA 2 22284
    IC: Pin/Blade (Missing)

Appearance:
    Top Plank:
    -
    Mild water stains, some delaminating veneer on edge strip
    Bottom Plank:
    -
    Missing on both speakers
    Cabinet Front:
    -
    4 small chips on the right speaker at right side front edge (appears to be due to staples?)
    Cabinet Sides:
    -
    Glue residue, but no damage to vinyl (other than 4 small chips noted above)
    Cabinet Back:
    -
    Applique present on both speakers, small tear on right applique, small tear in vinyl on right speaker (resulting from same contact that damaged the applique)
    Cabinet Bottoms:
    -
    Glue residue, holes from staples, but remarkably no damage to vinyl due to removal of bottom planks.
    Grills:
    -
    One small tear in grill cloth, no damage to baffle (wood), loose Polk Audio badges on both speakers (i.e. easy to spin, but still retained by spring clips)

Functional Assessment:
    Cabinet:
    - PR push test: PASSED (3+sec MW recovery time)
    - Cabinet Tap Test: Solid, no evidence of separation at any of the exterior structural joints, no evidence of water damage.
    - Treelocks: All present, and retain the grill firmly
    Drivers:
    - SL2000: Functional, no scratchiness, no damage to the domes
    - MW6503 (Stereo Driver): Functional, Butyl rubber surrounds very supple with no tears, Passed VC push test (no rubbing)
    - MW6511(SDA Driver): Butyl rubber surrounds very supple with no tears, Passed VC push test (no rubbing), no IC so functionality is unknown.
    - SW121 (PR): Butyl rubber surrounds very supple with no tears

Interesting Observation:
    - It does not appear as though any of the drivers have ever been removed based on the following: There is brown paint in the exact same place (4 O'clock) on each of the MW6503s, MW6511s, and SW121s, and the screw heads have not been touched since that paint was applied. Now I have never seen this paint on a Polk speaker before. Has anyone else seen this before? Could this possibly be some form of anti tamper indication?

The Seller:
    - I was greeted by the Seller's brother, and very nice man. He was representing them for his brother who is stationed in Germany (F/A-18 pilot).

The Offer:
    - I told the Seller's brother that the speakers appeared to be functionally sound, however without the IC cable I could not assess the MW6511s and the condition of the SDA circuit. The speakers obviously had some significant cosmetic issues that would need to be addressed, and that I could not offer him $200 based on the cosmetic condition alone. I asked him to let his brother know that I was interested in them, but could only offer $100 for the pair at this time. The brother said that he would present the offer to his brother within the next day and let me know.

Photos:
    - Here are some better photos of the speakers in question (the photos in the CL ad left a lot to be desired)

5b0d81oeluds.jpg

9hrwe6crvhpm.jpg

82l0z8bcnhio.jpg

j1nb4667advv.jpg

6n9y19ihxwr5.jpg

vglq0z0kia7d.jpg

t6mlnmltp24x.jpg

lbyy5p5bszcb.jpg

4r3kk9zkpy8u.jpg

0g342878m5mu.jpg

zdq722yb0d5c.jpg

4ql3459s7sc6.jpg

fuhtr4j566gz.jpg

2sex8gujyk2q.jpg

9zz4g9ne7h1o.jpg

ngoln9ibpvu6.jpg

5or6df3fb8z8.jpg

upjjr7mielrx.jpg

oxk3bvy6q8ay.jpg

f4gvsahzyq3p.jpg

7fcq3el14f7s.jpg

mud9l3kymdfo.jpg

641qqp203yqr.jpg

w8q0yjbbbeq1.jpg

u9xkwpwrilwy.jpg

Watch this space!
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,554
    FestYboy wrote: »

Dayum... Run don't walk. They are oak vinyl, not birch though...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    @250GTLusso, Dude you rock! You should do paid gigs doing recon!! Nice write up with pictures. :)
    @kmeek , Thanks! Always willing to help out a fellow CP member.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
    @kmeek , Thanks! Always willing to help out a fellow CP member.

WAY beyond thorough! Thanks for checking them out for me. I knew they'd be a project, but everything looks pretty do-able, and I've seen posts on most of the cosmetic stuff here on the forum.

Thinking the sides might have come loose and someone might have tried to staple them.

Interested to hear back on the offer.

Again, much appreciated and I do owe you a beer or whatever for your effort!

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,386
    Jaybeez wrote: »

A beer? That report was worth a fifth of 18-year-old single-malt scotch. :p
    Viking64 wrote: »

I'll drink to that. :D

I could do that too / instead!

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,386
    I see a new strategy for seeking-out potential future speaker purchases. :p
    edited March 2018

What? Beer and/or scotch before making purchase decisions on speakers we all love????
    OR
    Having someone scout for speakers who knows what their looking at finding you the diamonds and/or diamonds in the rough?

Either on is brilliant! Count me in!!! :D
    kmeek wrote: »

What? Beer and/or scotch before making purchase decisions on speakers we all love????
    OR
    Having someone scout for speakers who knows what their looking at finding you the diamonds and/or diamonds in the rough?

Either on is brilliant! Count me in!!! :D

The latter more sensible. The former more fun!

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,379
    kmeek wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It's only hording if there's no longer walkways, and you have piles of stuff that could topple over and kill you at any moment.

Tony is still at the respectable "collector" level. :)
    verb wrote: »
    Reminds me of my workshop (aka storage room) in the basement. They make reality shows about us Tony! :smile:

Collectors unite!!! I hope I am still in the respectable range... Lol! Here is some of my projects I still need to get to......

h4uzw7lu7g90.jpg

Whomever got those SR2's for a hundred got a smoking deal. Thought my set for $200 was good. Ohio why are you so far away???? :)

Uh... You need help. You should should start by selling me the Roy Rodgers toy lantern. That would clear up enough space!
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,214
    @kmeek what's in the Monoprice box?
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."