The Dared SL 2000 modification thread

123457»

Comments

• audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited December 2012
    For what it's worth, I have some hum as well. It's very low, and is inaudible when the music is playing. However, between songs, if I'm close enough to the speakers then I can hear the hum. I'd love to solve it, but it hasn't been enough of a nuisance for me to rip apart my system looking for the cause.

Anyone else have hum with the sl2000a, and find a solution? Is it the unit, or other factors?

Also, the hum stays at a constant level, regardless of how low/high the Dared is set.
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited December 2012
    Keiko wrote: »
    Mine is almost silent. If I put my ear to the speaker I can hear a very slight, almost inaudible hiss. Maybe try some different cables. I'm using AVt2s throughout my rig. Tube dampers also if you're not already.

Yeah, I'll have to give different cables a shot. Already have Herbie's tube dampers on my tubes. Part of my problem might be that my amp has 32 db of gain, so the background noise will be a bit louder than amps with only 29 db of gain. I'll have to switch to one of my Adcoms to see if that helps.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited December 2012
    audio_alan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll have to give different cables a shot. Already have Herbie's tube dampers on my tubes. Part of my problem might be that my amp has 32 db of gain, so the background noise will be a bit louder than amps with only 29 db of gain. I'll have to switch to one of my Adcoms to see if that helps.

The hum/noise I'm dealing with can be heard 15 ft. away from the speakers. I've tried everything except changing tubes, which I'll do as soon as finances get better. I've thought about sending mine in to see if something got loose during shipping.
  • tubetto
    tubetto Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Hi mf, could you send me a another clear photo from the inside. Changing the caps, I interrupt a
    small black wire (on the backside) and now not know where I have to resolder.
    Thanks in advance,
    tubetto

mfg wrote: »
    Hi, all. This thread was what got me to join the forum. Great stuff.

I'm wondering if someone could forward me a copy of the schematics. I've attached photos of the unit with the back off so it is clear which edition I've got.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • tubetto
    tubetto Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Hi all,
    is there somebody who could help and send a photo from the inside (rear part) because I must find where the black wire was fixed.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2013
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I have it at home, but I will send it to you.
    Do you still have?
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited January 2013
    George or mfg,do either of you gents now have the schem?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited January 2013
    FTGV wrote: »
    Do you still have?

Can't find it Fred. I'll keep looking. If I can find the hard copy I can scan it and send it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited January 2013
    As soon as I posted I couldn't find it, I FOUND it.

Send me an addy Fred, I will honor Joe at Dared and not post it for the general public.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited March 2013
    George,

I know this is an old thread, but first do you still have the extra caps? Second I was thinking of making a 3/4"-1" riser for the bottom to give it some extra working room. Thoughts?

I haven't takin it apart to look inside but the pics look to be a little tight..

I came close to selling this unit a couple of times, as I hardly use it. But started thinking about this thread, Mod it? LOL!!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2013
    I still have the Obligattos for sure--I'll take a peek and see if I have anymore of the teflon caps(input),,

You want em?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mfg
    mfg Posts: 17
    edited February 2014
    Hey, Tubetto and FTGV- I'm writing to apologize for having not replied to your (2013) postings seeking schematics. I had neglected to subscribe to the thread, and just returned today and saw your messages.

It appears that George and H9 had come through for you, but I do have the schematics now should anyone still have a need.

-Matt
    -Matt
  • Dallas21
    Dallas21 Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    Looking for help with my new Dared SL2000-A preamp mod. I went and bought 2- .22 Auricapxo for the input,
    And went by the old build that said 4- 1.0 uf caps for the coupling.
    In my Hew unit it does not have the 2 Square caps in back ,and 4 - side by side yellow caps.
    Mine has 2- yellow square caps 7 blue round-oval shiny caps and maybe a black cap under the frame.
    Could someone Pleaee help me .my unit is stuck in the shop waiting on help.Joe at dared sent my 2- older schematics thst donot apply
    I am at [email protected]. Any help would great be appreciated thank you,Paul.
  • rener
    rener Posts: 3
    Hi, recently the left channel of my Dared SL -2000A became noisy, it sounds like deep frying. My tech friend can't seem to isolate the problem. I would appreciate it much if someone could tell me where to find spare boards or maybe used units for sale. Thanks very much.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    rener wrote: »
    Hi, recently the left channel of my Dared SL -2000A became noisy, it sounds like deep frying. My tech friend can't seem to isolate the problem. I would appreciate it much if someone could tell me where to find spare boards or maybe used units for sale. Thanks very much.

Auction sites.
    Try new tubes?
  • rener
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Auction sites.
    Try new tubes?

Hi, tried new tubes, still noisy. Nothing on ebay. Will call Mike of Deltronics for a spare board. Thanks for the comment.
  • rener
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Auction sites.
    Try new tubes?

Hi, tried new tubes, still noisy. Nothing on ebay. Will call Mike of Deltronics for a spare board. Thanks for the comment.

Hi,
    Need assistance, if anyone comes across a used Dared SL-2000a or a circuit board for sale please let me know, I will appreciate it much. Thanks.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I’m going to pull this from the grave…

Does anyone have the schematic for the SL2000A?

I can’t find one online.

I emailed Dared, no response.

I also tried to get in touch with Deltronics, in Chicago as they were an authorized repair center for Dared in the past.

No response to email and no one seems to answer the phone.

My SL2000A developed a hiss and static in the left channel.

Thanks in advance!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I couldn't find one in any of my searches, good luck.
  • Upstatemax
    Yeah, I was worried that was going to be the answer.
  • mfg
    edited January 21
    Hope this helps...30rvokq95jq0.jpg
    -Matt
  • mfg
    edited January 21
    I'd run into a problem with uploading the file, but it now looks like it has posted properly. If not, let me know and I can try sending it to you another way.
    -Matt
  • Upstatemax
    Awesome!

Really helpful!
  • Upstatemax
    Quick update, couldn't really figure it out on my own and I ended up hearing back from Deltronics.

Ended up sending it into them, they called about a week later that they found some poor capacitors.

Gave the okay to repair and I hope to get it back within a few weeks.