The Dared SL 2000 modification thread

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited November 2011
    I'm still waiting to hear back on my Dared I'm really bummed it's not working!!
  • audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited November 2011
    Was it worth it,, for me yes,,but thats what I do,,, I used Teflon's(Big A$$ Russian) on the inputs and Obligatto's on the output,IMHO,,they took it to another level,midrange bloominess etc,,,not alot of real estate to work with,,,so if you are fainthearted you might not want to perform this mod--just my .02 worth.Good luck.

George -Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was a little concerned about how tight it looks in there. I'll probably try the mod sometime down the road, but I probably need to back burner the idea for now because I have too many projects on my plate as it is....
  • jessie52
    jessie52 Posts: 34
    edited December 2011
    RCA 12AT7 BPs are great sounding tubes. I prefer them over the Mullards 4024s, Jan Phillips and even the Tungsrams. I wonder if the Teles or Amperexs would be better than the RCAs.
  • jessie52
    edited December 2011
    pic's please.
    DARED SL-2000A.jpg

I opened up my Dared SL-2000A and found 3 different uf values : 2.2uf, 1uf and .047uf with 3 different colored caps. Would anyone know what caps are these? I'm sorry if the pics seem not that clear.
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited December 2011
    What are you folks doing for isolation feet for the 2000A?
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2011
    mine were 1.0Uf caps(output),and there were 4 of them.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • mfg
    mfg Posts: 17
    edited May 2012
    Hi, all. This thread was what got me to join the forum. Great stuff.

I'm wondering if someone could forward me a copy of the schematics. I've attached photos of the unit with the back off so it is clear which edition I've got.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt.

Dared 2000a board 01.jpg
    Dared 2000a board 02.jpg
    -Matt
  • george daniel
    edited May 2012
    I'm still looking for mine--try Brock(H9),,I think that I emailed him a copy.
  • mfg
    edited May 2012
    Thanks, George. I just sent a note to Brock. I really appreciate the help!!

-Matt
    -Matt
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited May 2012
    I'm still looking for mine--try Brock(H9),,I think that I emailed him a copy.
    mfg wrote: »
    Thanks, George. I just sent a note to Brock. I really appreciate the help!!

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm sure I have George's e-mail here somewhere, I'll email it to you when I find it. IIRC, Joe Zhou asked that it not be posted on the internet.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited May 2012
    Yours looks like an earlier one like mine since it has the Auricaps and no gold pcb's or gold tube sockets. They made a gold version w/Auricaps too. Do you have a wooden remote or blueish key fob type?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mfg
    edited May 2012
    H9, I've got the blue plastic remote with the clicking-step motor.

I heard back from Joe (from Dared) and he provided me with the schematics. So, I'm in good shape there, and thanks to you and George for checking on these for me.

I have been sort of away from the hi-fi for the last couple of years working on a degree. I was just getting back into some focused listening, thinking I might even try rolling some tubes, when things went south with the preamp. I figure I'll post to the 2-Channel or Troubleshooting sections of the forum with details on my problem in hope that I'll get some advice (right channel started crackling, and eventually pretty much shut off with just the faintest sound heard on that channel. Swapped tubes, same effect with input/outputs 1 and 2).

Once I get this fixed, I intend to try one of those Bendix rectifiers if I can find one. It sounds like it made quite a difference on some systems.

Thanks again for checking on those schematics. I really appreciate it.

-Matt.
    -Matt
  • heiney9
    edited May 2012
    Sorry to hear, that stinks. First place I would check is the Auricap coupling cap. Are you using the proper tubes? I ask not to presume you don't know what you are doing, but a local friend with the same era Dared had the same problem and it was because the previous owner used the wrong rectifier. Turned out to be a bad Auricap. Are you the original owner or second hand owner? Where are you located? There is an authorized service center (Deltronics) in the Chicago, IL suburbs that works on these, just an FYI.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited May 2012
    The Bendix 6106 is a nice rectifier but any variation of the Brimar/English 5Z4G is superior, IMO. When you get ready I have some extras as I have been sort of hoarding them :lol::wink:

H9
  • george daniel
    edited May 2012
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Hi Matt,

I'm sure I have George's e-mail here somewhere, I'll email it to you when I find it. IIRC, Joe Zhou asked that it not be posted on the internet.

H9

Thanks Brock,, Joe was kind enough to share it with me,,and I with others,,but please guys,,lets keep the schems private via e-mails--with that said--Brock,,please send me a copy,,I cannot find mine,,kinda embarrassing,,,and H9 is spot on about the rectifiers,,,you'd be hard pressed to find a better rectifier than the Brimar. Regards to all,,,and a big tip of the hat to H9.
  • mfg
    edited May 2012
    Yes, H9, using the proper tubes and I'm not at all offended at the question. I'm feeling my way into the electronics side of this hi-fi hobby, which is one of the reasons I found this thread and others so interesting and helpful. I suppose I'll put a meter probe on either side of the caps and see what happens (Ha! That's what I mean by feeling my way into this. Although I know enough not to have gotten blasted yet.) I'm the second owner, located in Ithaca. There's a man here who has worked on tube audio for years, and I think between his knowledge, the simplicity of the unit, and the availability of the schematics, he should do okay with it. And if I can troubleshoot/diagnose a little, it may be a less costly affair.

Thanks so much for the info on the tubes. Once I get this thing working again, I will definitely contact you about your hoard!

I may be away from the internet for a couple of days, but I'd be happy to send my copy of the schematics to anyone who needs it. I'm still under the required number of posts to message members, but I can email through the forum. If you want to send me your email address that way, then I'll have yours and will send you the schematics as an attachment in the reply (I sent a similar message to George).

Thanks again.

-Matt.
    -Matt
  • george daniel
    edited May 2012
    Matt,, I used Russian teflons (where your Auricaps are,,,mine did not have the Auricap's),,,the 4 big a$$ yellow caps were changed in mine(profanity involved) with Obligatto's, I was fortunate to get a Brimar rectifier(H9's suggestion) and some Syl signal tubes,,,currently I have some Mullards (thank you dr R) in place of the sylvanias,,,I am very happy with mine,and I think that you'll be hard pressed to better it for the monies spent,,YMMV.The Dared does respond very well to tube rolling,,so,, follow the advice given you and I think that you will be a happy camper.Good luck and have fun.
  • mfg
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the information, George. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves, and ground myself. Looking forward to posting a success story.

-Matt.
    -Matt
  • heiney9
    edited May 2012
    mfg wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, George. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves, and ground myself. Looking forward to posting a success story.

-Matt.

Take lots of photo's and document everything real well, it helps for future DIYer's. Have fun

H9
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited June 2012
    daubyPaky wrote: »
    Le cochon rentre alors profiter des grosses seins ?normes d f?vrier par admin .Vue fois mature aux blastbs punbb sesp rez de mamelles jeune avril air tous les .
    Vues fois une jeune **** tube e longuement on certaine attention pour des gouts classiques .
    Vues fois gang bang sexy du mai licatesse alors le qui est visiblement un commentaire plan de m pour .

you and your twin are quick lil spammers
  • mfg
    edited June 2012
    Brock and George, it turned out to be a bad 47k resistor in the right channel circuit. I wound up bringing it in to the HiFi shop, and the owner (a wonderful guy trained as a technician way back in the day) was intrigued by the unit, and offered to do the job for less than the bench fee. The tough location of the resistor combined with his vastly superior skills made this an offer I couldn't refuse.

Brock, now that I'm back in business, I'd love to take you up on your offer to help me with some tube rolling. I'll send you an email.

Much thanks to you both!

-Matt
    -Matt
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2012
    Question - are there any upgrade opportunities on this piece other than the caps and tube rolling? Any benefit to doing resistor upgrades? What about the pot? Just wondering if anyone's done any investigation....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    Question - are there any upgrade opportunities on this piece other than the caps and tube rolling? Any benefit to doing resistor upgrades? What about the pot? Just wondering if anyone's done any investigation....

IMO, you have to be pretty adept at electronics to do much beyond the cap upgrade and even then George had to run leads and mount elsewhere in the chassis. There is little to no room for much else. The vol control is the typical nicer ALPS, but of you went with something more esoteric I'm not sure it would fit.

The Auricap input coupling cap upgrade is doable without too much fuss. Beyond that you'd need to do some re-engineering for much else.

H9
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Ok, didn't realize they used a decent Alps pot, that's good to know. Brock, can you send me that schematic?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    Ok, didn't realize they used a decent Alps pot, that's good to know. Brock, can you send me that schematic?

I have it at home, but I will send it to you.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Thanks!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2012
    Actually, probably a bad idea to go anywhere near the pot. There's a remote control for the volume, which means there's a little motor that wants to be left alone....
  • WarriorAnt
    WarriorAnt Posts: 9
    edited August 2012
    Hello,
    I have a pair of DARED VP20's and a Dared SL-2000A (key chain remote) 2003 production that I need to sell but I have absolutely no idea what to ask for them (want to sell all three at once). I'm not trying to sell them in this thread I just need some advice from the folks who own these DARED's. They sound great and work perfectly, its just that I live in the desert where common temps hover around 110 and I can't use any equipment that produces heat the way tubes do. Thanks.
  • jessie52
    edited November 2012
    I have a Dared SL-2000 which sounds great but I can hear a hum from the speakers. I already upgraded the tubes to NOS and rectifier to Bendix. Is this common?
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited November 2012
    I've had mine less than 24 hours and am dealing with a hum. Others have said their's is dead quiet, so no it's not normal. I'm going to try the signal tubes and hopefully that clears it up!