Polk Audio SDA CRS+ Mods...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,486
edited October 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Yep - modding these bad boys...

Possibly RDO tweets
Modded crossovers - Clarity Cap SA and Mundorf resistors and upgraded binding post
Going to have a Walnut veneer with a solid Walnut trim piece on the front...

Semi-Gloss finish.... should be pretty!

Oh yeah!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,219
    edited June 2011
    Lets see some pics...starting now and sticky this thread
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Yeah... right now they look like as my friends say... "bo-bo"
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,219
    edited June 2011
    just keep us posted...plug 'em and give a listen make some notes...start your mods and and keeps us updated...looks like a cool project
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Should be fun. Pretty simple veneer job too... Its all in the prep work though
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,597
    edited June 2011
    You are not gonna sell these as soon as you finish them are ya? :tongue:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    lol

To be honest - most likely.

I like getting the gear, fixing it up a bit then moving it along.. its like drugs but with sound...

I figure I took in a set of CRS that were butchered at a Polkfest - I can restore their beauty and let someone enjoy them - where as they will sit in a corner around here for eternity never used! :)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2011
    Are they Pin/Blade? I've got a pair that I would like to upgrade/refinish, but they are earlier single tweeter models with B/B, and haven't dug too deep on what it would take. I will watch with interest.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    These are P/B

I am going to use Walnut veneer
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Sid pulls a reversal!

And Wa la! No vinyl!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
    edited June 2011
    ^Naked speakers need a R rating and a censored tag on em :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2011
    Trey I vote for a really lite oak finish. If not oak, still something very lite in color.
    Get er' done!
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited June 2011
    V-
    how do you remove the veneer? I'm guessing a heat gun and just peel, but I'm also thinking that would be too easy- so what are the steps in the process and what to be careful about when doing it? TIA
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• VR3
    edited June 2011
    Really just a heat gun and pull -- just make sure you are not aiming the gun at the drivers or other parts of the cabinet you do not want to remove...

And the vinyl that was on here was from Parts Express and it came off like tape. The stock veneer will not come off that easy - period. It is bonded to the wood and you will have to spend lots and lots of tedious hours removing that vijnyl.
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Ordered parts -

SDA cap is Solen, Midbass cap is Clarity Cap PX, Tweeter cap is SA - Mundorf resistors...

I am also going to remove the plastic clips and solder directly to the board, bypass the polyswitch, replace jumpers with DH Labs wire...

Internal wiring will be upgraded as well... as well as the connectors that go to the woofers to gold plated disconnects...
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011
    The stock veneer will not come off that easy - period. It is bonded to the wood and you will have to spend lots and lots of tedious hours removing that vijnyl.

That sucks - not looking forward to it. I'm starting a pair of crs+'s soon enough, planning on maple veneer as well.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Yeah manufactures make their vinyl and veneers so strong they basically become one with the wood - like Obi Wood Kanobi (har har har)

Do SDA owners generally get rid of those plastic clips? I must admit - that is the cheesiest feeling connection I have ever seen..
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
    edited June 2011
    Do SDA owners generally get rid of those plastic clips? I must admit - that is the cheesiest feeling connection I have ever seen..

If your talking about the speaker clips then I think the answer is yes. Most upgrade them to ones capable of using bananas or spades w/ I believe....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Nah I mean the plastic connectors on the board that snap together...

12TLStockCrossover001-s.jpg
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited June 2011

Actually the cheesiest feeling connection I've seen on the crossovers I've done has been the standoffs that mount the board onto the inductor.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    I can agree with that....

I think I am actually just going to solder all the connections - screw disconnects and plastic connects. Solder is where it is at.
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    I do not think I am going to upgrade the tweeters though, I am going to leave that for the next guy. Simple plug and play

But I do plan to dynamat the woofers and put new seals for the drivers!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,298
    edited June 2011

Those are Molex type connectors, absolutely nothing wrong with them.

The original Polk vinyl will come off without any damage to the particleboard cabinet. Using a heatgun, start at one corner. Keep the heatgun moving, never hold in one place. Lift the vinyl from the corner until it stops coming up easily, heat the next area and repeat. You may find that a putty knife will help, but use it wisely as you do not want it digging into the cabinet. This isn't a 5 minute job either.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited June 2011
    Wouldnt we get a better signal just soldering them directly to the board??
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2011
    Not that I've seen and there called "Universal Mate-N-Loc Vertical Pin Headers"
    I think I am actually just going to solder all the connections - screw disconnects and plastic connects. Solder is where it is at.
    IMO Not a good idea seeing how your planning on flipping these. It will just make it a PITA for the next guy to work on.

On replacing the internal wiring and connectors I wouldn't bother, It's not worth the expense and wont increase the monetary value of the speakers.

If you were going to keep them I'd say go for it.

Just my $0.02
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    Good point

I will keep them the same
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2011
    No TL upgrade?
  • VR3
    edited June 2011
    I actually asked a member about that and he said it was not a necessary upgrade.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2011
    I believe a member redid a pair of RTA12's with new scotchlocks and gold terminals that looked pretty good.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2011
    Is this the RTA 12 thread you mean, doro?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116480

Geoff727 is the reason I don't post pics of my work... the man truly knows his way around a speaker cabinet.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited June 2011
    Yes, that's it. That was an excellent restoration.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.