Polk Audio SDA CRS+ Mods...

12346»

Comments

• evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited September 2011
    Just a little side thing, all the tweeters and drivers were in perfect condition and the drivers were all the mw6511 and 6510. I had brought a 6503 in case one driver was bad. I am in need of a 6511. For a moment I was holding it, knowing my friend would never know the difference, but I believe in the karma bank where one day I might need to take out a draw. I will call Polk and get my 6511 for myself, and the 6503 will be my spare in case I need it. I kept his sl2000 in case someone needs it or wants them.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,494
    edited September 2011
    Too cool - glad to hear you guys got them in the house and could atleast fire them up!

It has actually been a general consensus that the smaller SDA speakers image a little better than the big ones. Atleast to some. You know how opinions go ;)

Very cool though!

Will keep a look out for those xovers for sure!

Keep on a rockin!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2011
    I discovered why my SDA experience was changing. Sometimes the experience would jump out but I am way past the burn in time.
    It was because I didn't correctly make my SDA connection. I had used an RCA end connection that was crimped but now it's obvious it wasn't making a solid connection. I was thinking that although the speakers sound much better since the crossover and tweeter upgrade it still didn't always bring me back to my 4am SDA worshipping I was doing with just the rdo194 prior to the crossover and 198 upgrade. I did the SDA test last night using my original Polk Manual, and lo and behold it wasn't right, quite weak. I could wiggle the cord and some effect would come out but not fully. I had made a blade cord for the negative blade portion. I left it in place even after I read DarqueKnight's comments about it not being needed. For a test I put on each speaker the blade portion squeezing it into the pin part (it was really two smaller blades connected to both parts of home depot wire) and immediately the speakers sprung to life. I checked my rca connection and it was crimped fine so I'm not sure exactly what is wrong but it isn't working right.
    I will be ordering my Cardenas post to make a new SDA connection.
    I had to break out all my stuff last night to listen to everything again, and the sound is just backflipping mind aweing incredible!
    I feel stupid for not having noticed it before. But now I have to say the crossover and 198 upgrade sent the speakers into many more higher categories even though it sounded really awesome without the full SDA connection.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe