Polk Audio SDA CRS+ Mods...

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,494
    edited August 2011
    The inductor is super easy to do since it is quick disconnects to them - you would do it at anytime! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2011
    Well, you can put disconnects on yourself. Erse and Solen do not come with disconnects. I do plan on adding them.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • VR3
    edited August 2011
    good point! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited August 2011
    if that is as easy as adding a connection to wire, that I can do. It's the soldering I'm avoiding. I can strip, crimp, bend and ply just fine.

is there a link to what I would need? Should I ask my man here to add to the set up or is it easier to do it myself when they arrive you think?

sort of an indirect answer, and still not sure of the rules so I can accept a pm if needed
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • VR3
    edited August 2011
    When you removed the boards (unless you unbolted them fully from the enclosure) the inductor that is under the board is connected to the board by disconnects. When you replace the inductor you will just need to match the type of disconncts on the inductor. Quick trip to a parts store should get ya going! I would throW ya in some but I do not have those connectors!
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    I did take out the whole thing but just kept the bolts here. I'll look up which inductors to get and order them. Radio shack should have the connects. I sent the whole thing not knowing it was separate from the crossover. Heavy package!
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    I looked at the threads and tried to find the right inductor for the CRS+, is this the one?

http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catalogue_fiche.php?id=872&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=70
  • nspindel
    edited August 2011
    Yep. That be the one.... Two of those and you're good to go.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    thanks! Is it best to get them direct, or is there another distributor that might have it closer or cheaper? Canada to Key West, and I have to give my social security number.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2011
    I got mine from PartsConnexion.
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    lol, I was looking at the pictures lined up of the 10 awg solen, the 14 awg solen, and the stock 18 awg, what would happen if you put that monster 10 awg in an CRS+?

just rhetorical, not even thinking realism here, I'm strictly going by the recommendations.
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    I couldn't find it on their site. I'm assuming they may be out of stock, or is it something I have to call in.
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    Another rhetorical question, if the Crossovers, inductors, tweeters etc need burn in time, how do they do it in production before speakers make it to the show room? I'm imagining some middle management person driving coworkers crazy with warehouses of speakers all blaring out Engelbert Humperdinck for months.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited August 2011
    evhudsons wrote: »
    Another rhetorical question, if the Crossovers, inductors, tweeters etc need burn in time, how do they do it in production before speakers make it to the show room? I'm imagining some middle management person driving coworkers crazy with warehouses of speakers all blaring out Engelbert Humperdinck for months.

Most speakers and electronics (atleast mass produced) are not broken in at the factory. If you think about it, that would be a little ridiculous :tongue::smile:.

Many of your higher end manufacturer's that produce a limited number units most likely run the gear while building it and then after as well to make sure it meets spec, etc. As an example my Pass Labs Aleph 30 has some parts matched in the actual amp which means to some degree they run the amp and measure and swap parts until they are satisfied. Rather than match the parts to each other, they match them in the circuit. That probably doesn't constituite break-in but the product is run and hand tweaked for best performance. I'm sure the same can be said for exclusive speaker companies as well.

The input devices are slightly better than the originals, but significant improvement is to be found in the manner of matching the input devices. Previously the input differential transistors were merely matched to each other, but beginning with the Aleph 30 they are now matched both to each other and to the rest of the amplifier circuit. We select the input devices as part of the complete amplifier, swapping them in and out until the best performance is achieved. Tweaking the input stage in this manner and with other adjustment techniques we have been able to significantly lower the noise floor and improve the power supply noise rejection of the amplifier.

Once you reach a certain output of units it starts to become impractical to test, tweak and run each one.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2011
    evhudsons wrote: »
    I couldn't find it on their site. I'm assuming they may be out of stock, or is it something I have to call in.

Interesting, I wonder why it dropped off their site. They may not stock it any more, and would need to special order it. I'd give them a call.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited August 2011
    Here it is:

http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catalogue.php?pageNum_cms_catalogue=1&niveau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=24&origniveau=/pub/cms_nf_catalogue_niveau3.php?q=Jm5pdmVhdTE9MSZuaXZlYXUyPTQmc2VjdGlvbj0yJnNvdXNfc2VjdGlvbj00JmZ0PW5m&totalRows_cms_catalogue=40&niveau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=24&niveau4=

I ordered mine from Partsconnexion during their 20% off sale. Should be getting them next week.

17lbs each :eek:

They're going in my 2.3TL's - still deciding how I'm going to mount them, but it'll probably be on the floor in the corner.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nspindel
    edited August 2011
    No, those are 10 gauge. Way overkill. evhudsons, 14 gauge is just fine.
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    lol, yeah, 17 pounds, almost half the weight of my speaker!
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    Solen has it listed, just not part connexion. I'll givem a halla
  • VR3
    edited August 2011
    4.1tl mod!

Resistor is mounted on the bottom of the board for easy removal in case the owner has problems in the future! :)
  • dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited August 2011
    4.1tl mod!

Resistor is mounted on the bottom of the board for easy removal in case the owner has problems in the future! :)

Looks nice! If I ever get my crossover boards and parts back, I will be in touch!

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • VR3
    edited August 2011
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    Looks nice! If I ever get my crossover boards and parts back, I will be in touch!

Don

Thanks man!

Worst case scenario - we could do a PTP or Gimpod boards! :)
  • dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited August 2011
    Thanks man!

Worst case scenario - we could do a PTP or Gimpod boards! :)

I might have a line on a good price for Gimpods. I will let you know!

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    Wow, those look freaking incredible!
  • evhudsons
    edited August 2011
    I'm really excited on the crossovers! I know it must have been a pain putting that extra huge cap on. I talked a friend into getting a deal on some SDA 1c's that were available in Ft. Lauderdale. It didn't come with interconnect cables, and upon listening to them at the guys house, my friend was thinking he might have bought bad speakers, or that I was full of ...
    I told him to trust me, we'll get them going. They have the stock tweeters, but I'm giving him my one pair of 194's to put in, and he'll just have to keep the other stock pair in for now. Should I put them in the top tweeter spot, or the lower one?
    I'm going to help him make a new interconnect cord. After that, he'll have a taste for more. When he does, I'll be sending his crossovers as well to be modded.
    I expected to have to help him with the grill covers, but he said they were in incredible shape, looked new. I think he might have gotten a steal there since he didn't have to pay for shipping. He has no idea what I've gotten him into though, wife factor forced the speakers into his man cave for now. Anything in the house has to be run by her first, and they didn't make it past the front door. He's been surviving on her old home theater in a box, poor man. But, he's got a friend like me, causing more marital troubles. The best has yet to come. I have a feeling that once he starts spending too much time in his cave, and she hears how good they sound, they will be invited inside.

I'll do the inductor upgrade when I get some more $$, next month maybe. In the meantime, it's time for burn in time.
  • VR3
    edited August 2011
    Nice!

SDAs dont sound to hot without the cable!

I cant remember for sure but I believe you want to be in the bottom tweeter.... I think!

:)

Let me know on those other crossovers, we will gitt r done!
  • nspindel
    edited August 2011
    Pretty sure 1C's just have the same signal through both tweeters, unlike the bigger boys. If you've only got one set of tweets, I'd put them both into one speaker. That should make differentiating between the two much easier, and should then make it more obvious that the other speaker needs an upgrade.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,309
    edited August 2011
    The tweeters in the 1C's are a progessive point source as are all the SDA's with vertical mounted tweeters. Therefore, they do not produce the same frequency range. The top tweeter is the main one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    edited August 2011
    I stand corrected :wink:

I would still swap both tweeters in the same speaker, and observe the differences between left and right. I'd bet your friend is ordering a second pair of 194's within one day...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,309
    edited August 2011
    nspindel wrote: »
    I would still swap both tweeters in the same speaker, and observe the differences between left and right. I'd bet your friend is ordering a second pair of 194's within one day...

Agreed and you can take that bet to the bank.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk