Options

Comments

• Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited March 2011
    Options
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Demi - you went 360? Hmm...

I totally missed that in your post. I went PC ..crap.

I wouldn't mind playing on my PC, but I'd honestly rather play on the Xbox 360 in my home theater area on my projector / screen and 7.1 system instead of on my PC in my office.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's cool, I'll switch my pre-order to 360.

...assuming I can figure out how.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I have a 120" screen with a great sound system for my tastes and a comfy couch to sit on. I realize I could hook my PC up to it, but it's not worth all the hassle just to play one game.

I think the consoles put everyone on an equal playing field aside from individual skill and connection speeds. If I sacrifice a little bit of detail in graphics going console, oh well. I still have a nice PC I built, but I've long moved on from the days of spending hundreds of dollars almost yearly to gain a competitive edge in a game. Not to mention I won't have to upgrade my girlfriend's stuff, because she'll want to play BF3, too. The only downside I see for myself with getting the console version is not being able to use a flight stick.

I'll bet most of the regulars on 360 are going to stick with the 360 for this, and they don't have shabby PCs either. There's another option, though....get both. :biggrin: :tongue:
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2011
    Options
    haha ..yah. It's ok, I can play other games on my PC (Mass Effect 3 for instance, whenever it comes out).

Anyway, I managed to cancel the first pre-order so I'll switch over to 360 :)

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Free Expansion Pack & Limited Edition from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6G5TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301591454&sr=8-1

There will probably be a game credit, too, as the date gets closer.
  • PrazVT
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yup - got the limited edition.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2011
    Options
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Anyway, I managed to cancel the first pre-order so I'll switch over to 360 :)

Battlefield has always been a PC game and by going to 360 version you're going to be missing quite a few good features. These might or might not be of importance to you.

Quite frankly, I could play games on my big screen but it really doesn't compare to the monitor setup I have. 5760x1080 resolution on three 23" Samsung's using Eyefinity. The middle monitor is your main screen, what you would see with one display while the 2 others are "surrounds" giving you a side view. Sorry, can't do that with one screen no matter how big it is, and can't do that with a console until they maybe catch up on next generation cycle.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Guess I'll have to settle on my single 55" TV/PC monitor because I'm not buying two more. :tongue:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sami wrote: »
    Battlefield has always been a PC game and by going to 360 version you're going to be missing quite a few good features. These might or might not be of importance to you.

Quite frankly, I could play games on my big screen but it really doesn't compare to the monitor setup I have. 5760x1080 resolution on three 23" Samsung's using Eyefinity. The middle monitor is your main screen, what you would see with one display while the 2 others are "surrounds" giving you a side view. Sorry, can't do that with one screen no matter how big it is, and can't do that with a console until they maybe catch up on next generation cycle.

Would be sweet on three projectors.... remind me to do that when I have cash :smile:
  • Sami
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Guess I'll have to settle on my single 55" TV/PC monitor because I'm not buying two more. :tongue:

Yep, you have to then. I have the option to play on 61" 1080p or 116" 1080p but it would not be nearly as good as with 3 23" 1080p's linked together. You would have to experience it to appreciate it. Demands quite a lot from the PC though, Crossfire with a higher end card is a must as you're displaying 5760x1080.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'd love to see a pic of your setup, Sami. Aside from a few videos I've seen of running racing sims on three monitor systems like that, I'd never thought about it. Do most games have the capability built-in so there's 'surround' content to display on the side monitors? Or how does that work?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Sami
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Pictures don't really give you an idea of how good it is to sit in between those monitors but perhaps this will explain a little why a single large monitor will not duplicate the experience. BF:BC2.

IMG_3309.JPG
  • Face
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Very nice!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Gosh darn it. And I thought "all" I wanted for my computer was a new MOBO/CPU/RAM setup with a GPU upgrade down the road. Now I want some massive GPU power and an eyefinity setup. Curses!

Do you use that setup with the Track IR and ArmaII as well?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Sami
    edited May 2011
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Gosh darn it. And I thought "all" I wanted for my computer was a new MOBO/CPU/RAM setup with a GPU upgrade down the road. Now I want some massive GPU power and an eyefinity setup. Curses!

5870's are about $200 and two of those will power BC2 to 80fps. NVidia would be better performer for the money in SLI but unfortunately Eyefinity is ATI/AMD only while NVidia has their 3D. i7-950 clocked at 3.7GHz with entry level water cooler, will be installing a high end cooler that will cool CPU, both GPU's and NB chip once I build a custom case. Radiator on that thing is massive and most cases won't fit it. :(

You also need an active Display Port adapter which is about $25.
    Do you use that setup with the Track IR and ArmaII as well?

Planning to, once I have more time. Been spending half of the current year traveling all over the country and the rest building guns for night hunting. I just got this setup built recently. Hopping into a place in an hour to go to Silicon Valley once more.
  • Sami
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Now I want some massive GPU power and an eyefinity setup.

Here you go: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7073899&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Only the price of a loaded PS3/XBOX system. Crossfire these and you're good for a long time... :tongue:

Seriously though, two of these might be the answer, just find another one with a rebate and you're good to go. I think the 6870 while not as good as 5870 by itself, scales better in CF so it might get you better performance than dual 5870's. I went 5870 route as I already had one and adding another was $190.
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Hmm. This whole eyefinity thing is definitely something for me to look into when I start upgrading my computer again. Definitely a pretty large cost that I won't be able to afford for a while, but also definitely an eventual goal I'd like to meet.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It hasn't been released... so no one has tried it. Never heard of this COD New Part... I'm going with Spam here...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Face
    edited June 2011
    Options
    <object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8pNOxynC1Dc?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8pNOxynC1Dc?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • Face
    edited June 2011
    Options
    <object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPu7-LtLKmU?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPu7-LtLKmU?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • corrinthians
    corrinthians Posts: 35
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to this one. I recently built pc with i7-2600k and dual 6950's. I'll be looking forward to giving it some work. I would jump into multi monitor gaming but I'm still waiting for the day when they make thinner bezels. Heck, make 'em without.
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121K
    Front: Polk Monitor 70 II (cherry)
    Center: Polk CS2 II (cherry)
    Surround: Satellites from my previous HTIB
    Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1 EX
  • Face
    edited June 2011
    Options
    <object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9UwOrl036_A?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9UwOrl036_A?version=3&hl=en_US&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • PrazVT
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm looking forward to this. Though I did pre-order for 360, I'm going to do it for PC too, since it looks like a good number of folks will be on. Give my GTX580 something to do too.

BTW I have a GTX480 for sale if anyone needs a GPU upgrade (in the For Sale).

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This game makes me very happy. In my pants.
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm buying for 360... even though I have not liked a single Battlefield game to date. This one just looks too good to pass up.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Call of Who?
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • Zeros
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It looks like BF3 on PC will be 60 fps while consoles will be 30 fps it that matters to anyone:

http://kotaku.com/5813389/console-battlefield-3-is-half-the-fps-of-modern-warfare-3

I'll probably still pre-order my copy for Xbox 360 today. BF2:bad company was 3- fps and I still love that game.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited June 2011
    Options
    As long as it's a stable 30fps, I'm fine with that, especially for this type of game. Crysis 2 was also locked at 30fps on console, and it was still one of the best-looking games I've seen on the 360. From the PS3 gameplay they had on Jimmy Fallon, I'm pretty sure the console versions will still look outstanding... and I'd much rather play in my home theater than on my computer in the bedroom.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Zeros
    edited June 2011
    Options
    As long as it's a stable 30fps, I'm fine with that, especially for this type of game. Crysis 2 was also locked at 30fps on console, and it was still one of the best-looking games I've seen on the 360. From the PS3 gameplay they had on Jimmy Fallon, I'm pretty sure the console versions will still look outstanding... and I'd much rather play in my home theater than on my computer in the bedroom.

I complete agree with everything you said.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 101
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm going to go with the PC version here. It's a toss up between higher end visuals and tighter controls vs higher end audio and sofa comfort.

1600p vs 720p is just too much of a difference. Even going from 1080 to 1600 is effectively doubling the amount of pixels that are rendered. Since I can tell the difference between 50fps and 60fps, I definitely couldn't make do with 30. I've been spoiled by great pc gaming.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-NR808
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 200 watts x 5
    Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Center: Polk CS2 Series II
    Surrounds: Polk Monitor 70 Series II
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4
    HDTV: 73" Mitsubishi DLP-73740 3D-ready
    PS3, 2x XBOX 360, Wii U, Gaming PC.