Polkfest, Texas Style

Comments

• quadzilla
    quadzilla Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2011
    marvda1 wrote: »
    we had two phono setups during the day. the first was a rega 2 played through the phono section of a music hall 15.3 integrated. the sound didn't make me miss my digital but the second setup with quadzilla's tube phono preamp had everyone that was left jumpy with joy. it made me even think about dabbling back into vinyl.
    quadzilla, can you give us a little info on that phono pre?

It's an Aural Thrills built with combination of Sonicaps and Mundorf caps and Mills resistors in the signal path. It uses a passive RIAA filter made with silver mica caps, and has 2 gain stages for low output moving coils for a total of 66 db of gain. Tom Kenney over in Garland makes them. He also does cables, amps, and preamps, as well as several versions of phono stages. His site is at http://www.auralthrillsaudio.com/ . The phono stage I have is an upgraded version of http://www.auralthrillsaudio.com/phono%20stage.htm. You should really talk to him. He's doing tube regulated power supplies and all kinds of other options now. He also does a high output version.

Those cables you liked used Tom's hand-made silver and teflon RCAs too. He described the process to me once. It was quite amazing. Tom is really dedicated to audio. Email him at auralthrillsaudio at copper dot net. If you decide to go that route, just remember, Tom never does anything at any other than Tom's pace. The wait time is not unreasonable, but he's not going to go out to the warehouse and pull whatever you order off a shelf either. Everything is customized to the system it's going into.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, but all the credit really goes to Tom. That was my first tube anything, and he helped me through the process of figuring out what I needed/wanted, and showed incredible patience with my complete lack of knowledge. The rest of the credit for that sound goes to the Shelter 501 MkII in that heavily modded Rega arm on the modded Empire table. I want to upgrade from that set up some day, but the only table upgrade I can really see myself going to is something like a VPI TNT or HRx.

Also, I really liked your digital set up and that integrated. It was really quite amazing. Playing that through the LSi's sounded really gorgeous through the midrange and treble. The only thing I didn't like about the 25's was that the bottom sounded a little disconnected from the rest of the sound. And your Usher amp... wow... If I didn't have my heart set on a pair of tube mono-blocks, I'd probably have been bugging you for a price ;)

For everyone else, great meeting those I saw for the first time, and Marv, great seeing you again. We've got a great bunch of Polkies in this state. Can't wait for the next one!
    Turntable: Empire 208
    Arm: Rega 300
    Cart: Shelter 501 III
    Phono Pre: Aural Thrills
    Digital: Pioneer DV-79ai
    Pre: Conrad Johnson ET3 SE
    Amp: Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000
    Cables: Cardas Neutral Reference
    Speakers: SDA 2.3TL, heavily modified
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited April 2011
    It was nice to meet everyone there. I had a fun time and enjoyed testing out my Vietnamese music. I had to leave early and only spent several hours at the event. How did the LSI's sound downstairs? Thanks again Jim for hosting..

Halen
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2011
    The LS-90's look smaller than I remember... but could be the size of their sound has grown bigger over time.

Looks like a good time and thanks for the pics, but who humped the sub?

Jim, don't forget to pull your addy.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottfox
    scottfox Posts: 37
    edited April 2011
    Very funny:biggrin: Not humped, just used as an end table & it got spilled on by someone's drink... good catch though.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited April 2011
    quadzilla, the integrated amp is the virtue audio m901 auricaps bypassed with platinum sonicaps and it has the dodd tube buffer option and battery power supply. here is a review from the stereomojo site.
    http://www.stereomojo.com/Virtue%20Audio%20Sensation%20review.htm/VirtueAudioSensationreview.htm

the cd player is the virtue audio piano m1. the great thing about the virtue equipment is you can customize the looks to suite you. here the review i did on the piano m1.
    http://www.stereomojo.com/Virtue%20Audio%20PianoM1%20Cd%20Player/VirtueAudioPianoCDPlayer.htm

here is a review of the janton operetta power amp that russman had at the get together. i didn't realize how affordable the amp was and considering you can add channels later for ht makes it a great buy. doesn't hurt that it sounds good.
    http://www.stereomojo.com/Jaton%20Operetta%20Power%20Amplifier%20Review/JatonOperettaPowerAmplifierReview.htm
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited April 2011
    Forget the integrated, where can I find that redhead in the first review? :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2011
    Good to see the GTA stuff went over well. Guess I'm not the only crazy person who thought it sounded pretty good for the price!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2011
    Tour2ma wrote: »
    The LS-90's look smaller than I remember... but could be the size of their sound has grown bigger over time.

Looks like a good time and thanks for the pics, but who humped the sub?

Jim, don't forget to pull your addy.

That's because you didn't have to move them around. Those speakers could double as a boat anchor.
  • JimAckley
    edited April 2011
    wallstreet wrote: »
    Those speakers could double as a boat anchor.

Prove it! :tongue:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2011
    The LS90's are high up on the list of the top ten Polk ever made, believe it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • JimAckley
    edited April 2011
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    The LS90's are high up on the list of the top ten Polk ever made, believe it.

Cheers,
    Russ

You can count me in the believer crowd. Especially with that tube amp on them, that was really a special treat to hear.

How do you guys feel about doing it again in a few months?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• JimAckley
    edited April 2011
    DSkip wrote: »
    I feel that I need to find another bottle to finish off between now and then. :tongue:

Want help? :biggrin:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited April 2011
    Jim, did you end up getting your ears on that LMS Ultra 5400 sub? I am thinking real hard about doing a build with passives...

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited April 2011
    Here are some combined video clips from the get together

http://youtu.be/lx8Su1Gw1z0?hd=1
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2011
    halenhoang wrote: »
    Here are some combined video clips from the get together

http://youtu.be/lx8Su1Gw1z0?hd=1

Very nice Halen !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • JimAckley
    edited April 2011
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    Jim, did you end up getting your ears on that LMS Ultra 5400 sub? I am thinking real hard about doing a build with passives...

Don

Unfortunately my buddy Phil wasn't able to come down for the meet, but I've heard his sub and the quality of sound that comes from the 5400 is mind-blowing. Now, if you're not dying to have that ability to go subsonic, I'd actually recommend the 5100 Pro. Its higher efficiency makes it much easier to drive and have more impact above 20Hz than the 5400 Ultra. Straight from one of many phonecalls I've had with Thilo Stompler, who designs most if not all of TC Sounds' subwoofers, it has the force of about three 5400s at 80Hz. That's some serious thump. The 5100 Pro is also the subwoofer of choice for Coldplay on their concert tour system, if that says anything as far as the fact that it really is an extremely durable pro sub. Personally, I'm going with the 5400 because I want to tune that sucker flat down to 15Hz and have it shake the rafters, plus it matches the TC Sounds VMP PRs.

To put cost into perspective, for either the LMS Ultra 5400 or the 5100 Pro, expect $900 for the driver; $360 for two PRs; $1000+ for a high-power amplifier (I would go with either the Crown XTi or I-Tech lines); and say $400, give or take, for the enclosure, which will vary depending on materials/design/ability to construct by yourself or with a friend to save/lower labor costs; total: approx $2660, which is about $500 under the MSRP of one of cheaper JL Fathom F113, and the LMS/PR combo KILLS dual Fathom F113 subwoofers in both SPL and LF extension, and can effortlessly go toe-to-toe in SQ as well (which IMO is rather subjective and something I haven't experienced yet myself, but everyone who has seems to agree on it).

From what I've heard of the 5400 though, it's worth every penny. The 5400 I had the opportunity to hear was in a sealed 6 cu. ft. enclosure crossed at 100, and was still smooth as butter but deep as heck. A 5400 with passives only gets better.

Once I can bank it, I'm going all out. Here's the link to my LFE project's thread. The only thing I'm doing which is against the norm for a PR system is I'm not setting them up in an opposing fashion. The only reason I'm not worried is because my enclosure is going to be built so heavy that it won't be much, if any, of an issue, and that's straight from the mouth of Thilo, who I trust greatly on the subject since these drivers and PRs are his masterpieces.

My advice to you: do the build. Research the heck out of it though. Call TC Sounds and talk to Thilo if needed. He'll help you answer any questions you've got for any configuration you can think of. Spend plenty of time searching for amps. The XTi and I-Tech lines have excellent DSP in them to help you get it tuned just right. If you go with the 5100, less power will be needed, which can help you save in costs. The most important part is building a very strong, well-braced enclosure. Phil's enclosure isn't built all that well, isn't spiked, and it still beats everything I've heard. Worst case, if you're not happy with the results, you should be able to find a buyer for your driver at a minimal loss in money.

PM me if you have any more questions!
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2011
    Halen, will you roll some film at LSAF? Are you already going to be in Asia by then?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • JimAckley
    edited April 2011
    Hey what was the computer program one you guys were using to play from your laptop?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• scottfox
    edited April 2011
    I think it was media monkey
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited April 2011
    yeah I use Media Monkey as my laptop player.. love it...
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • scottfox
    edited May 2011
    No- my 10's are virgins. I don't have the skills to do the upgrade, though Tracy & Jim have offered their assistance. Just afraid to cut into a perfectly good speaker:cool: Kinda like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.
  • JimAckley
    edited May 2011
    scottfox wrote: »
    No- my 10's are virgins. I don't have the skills to do the upgrade, though Tracy & Jim have offered their assistance. Just afraid to cut into a perfectly good speaker:cool: Kinda like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Nothing wrong with it if you've got a parachute and a pilot :wink: let's snag some new boards and do it on those. That way you're able to return them to OEM in a snap. Cmon Scott!
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• MarkTX
    MarkTX Posts: 58
    edited July 2011
    Mark, the for sale rules are in place for a reason. Stick around, enjoy the boards, and earn the priviledge to sell here.

Thanks!
  • JimAckley
    edited July 2011
    What's your schedule like next week? I wanna come down and hear it all.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited July 2011
    you really shouldn't be posting for sale stuff in here.. stick around, contribute and pretty soon you'll have enough to post it in the for sale section.. however I did notice your ad on Craigslist a few days ago and posted it in our deals thread in the clubhouse a few days ago. very nice set up by the way.. shame i'm not looking for any 2 channel gear currently.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • MarkTX
    edited July 2011
    It's okay, i understand the rules, Honestly i just don't have the time to get my post count up. I love the board, but rarely have time to stick my head in here. Jim, if you wanna hear/buy the SRT's or Thiels Send me a PM, I work nights in LE and i'm off sun/mon, then sat next weekend.
  • JimAckley
    edited July 2011
    MarkTX wrote: »
    It's okay, i understand the rules, Honestly i just don't have the time to get my post count up. I love the board, but rarely have time to stick my head in here. Jim, if you wanna hear/buy the SRT's or Thiels Send me a PM, I work nights in LE and i'm off sun/mon, then sat next weekend.

I don't have the dough to commit towards either one sadly. I just wanna hear some SRTs while I have the opportunity. That's something that doesn't come around often. If I decide to nix my plans to stroke and turbo my Silverado, you'll be the first person I call :)
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• MarkTX
    edited July 2011
    sounds good, there's a scene in the batman - dark knight movie where this shotgun on a machine goes from one target to the next and fires a round. I must of played this scene about 10 times. luckily i didnt have the police called to my house for shots fired. those were some of the most intense explosions i've ever heard from a speaker system. sounded like a shotgun was being fired inside the house. anyways i dont own this dvd, a friend brought it over. if you have it bring it and save it for the end, or you won't hear anything else correctly until your ears stop ringing. :)
  • JimAckley
    edited July 2011
    Crap I'm stoked! I'll have to see if I can scrounge up the DVD from someone before I come down. I've been wanting to hear some SRTs ever since I first discovered them. How's next Saturday for you?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• JimAckley
    edited July 2011
    Lol thanks for the vote of confidence skip
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -