Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• BrettT1
    BrettT1 Posts: 560
    edited August 2014
    Wow! Glad I haven"t been around in a while, so I could completely avoid this scuba idiot. Thanks to all the forum members who do what they do to help others. My 3 pairs of SDAs are happy critters.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014
    Here are the facts, I paid in full and brought this group buy to the 15 unit price, at which point several others determined it was worth it for them to join in. The one mistake I made was allowing you to be a middleman in this transaction. If I had paid avel-lindberg directly we wouldn't be here right now. When you took it upon yourself to decide who is worthy and who is not you crossed the line. Your desperate need to justify to yourself the money you have spent on magical audio cables drove you to vilify me for disagreeing with you. Yes I called avel-lindberg and requested that they honor the original purchase group. First come first serve. You don't work for avel-lindberg and you don't dictate to whom they sell to.

Been reading on my phone all day, somehow I missed this. First of all, I use Signal Cable in my hi-fi. I don't need to justify anything to myself, I'm quite pleased with my cables on a budget.

As for Avel Lindberg, perhaps he doesn't understand the concept of a group buy. I don't control who they sell to, he is absolutely right. But in this group buy transaction, they're only selling to one person - me. I'm the one who paid them, so in this case, yes I do control who they ship to. And they will not be shipping one to Scooby Doo.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited August 2014
    Let it go Neil, he is gone, you don't need to say anymore pertaining to scoobystupidissq..

Let's get this thread back on track.. :-)
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Let it go Neil, he is gone, you don't need to say anymore pertaining to scoobystupidissq..

Let's get this thread back on track.. :-)

Ok, I'm done now....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited August 2014
    Neil, you don't have to prove anything to the members here
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited August 2014
    But the dude could make a nice knife! lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2014
    halo71 wrote: »
    But the dude could make a nice knife! lol

You are correct, would have been nice having a knife maker in the family too.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2014
    LOL I just hope my doesn't go up like a flaming Toaster, or I blaming PFB for building it :)

BTW I don't even have some SDA's yet, just planning for a future.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    voltz wrote: »
    BTW I don't even have some SDA's yet, just planning for a future.

Good to be prepared!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Neil, I received your PM. Thanks for the Githens shot, you know it's appreciated.

I read the entire thread and thought the funniest part was all the usual rule-benders around here all of a sudden shouting about how we need rules.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2014
    drumminman wrote: »
    This tranny was discovered by Darque Knight when doing some research on how to build a better Dreadnaught. Avel-Lindberg had made a production run of these special audio grade transformers for an audiophile amp manufacturer and had a couple left over, one of which DK purchased and built a Dreadnaught with. Turned out to be a marked improvement over what he had been using, and he reported his findings to the forum.

Actually, the person who discovered the 1000V Avel-Lindberg was forum member RickTfromAZ. I was discussing higher current transformers from Antek and Plitron and he suggested I look at the 1000V Avel-Lindberg, which I didn't know about because it is not part of their regular product offerings. I had previously inquired about the 1000V transformer in Avel-Lindberg's regular product line, the Y236956, but its specs were unsuitable. Ironically, the person at Avel-Lindberg I corresponded with did not mention the audio grade, AV-047548. They probably assumed it was no need to mention the AV-047548 since they probably didn't know of any in stock and A-L didn't plan on making any more of them.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2014
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Never apologize, never explain; your true friends don't need it, and your true enemies will not believe you anyway. *

Classy move nevertheless, and will serve as a reminder to anyone who thinks otherwise.

* Read this on a packet of sugar in the Sayville Diner about 30 years ago, the things you remember! LOL

I first read a version of this aphorism -- "Never retract, never explain, never apologize. Just get the job done and let them howl" attributed to a Canadian suffragette Nelly McClung.

In whatever form, it is a great slogan to help get worthwhile things done in the face of opposition.

Again, Neil, great job and thank you!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Toolfan66
    edited August 2014
    I need the Address's from 4 people!!!!

Glenn Loisel
    Virgil Gannon
    Brian King
    Chris Brown

Thanks!!!
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited August 2014
    Neil,

Have stepped back from the forum a bit during the summer months. Sorry to hear the bull sh$t you had to go through. I was involved with the original 1000v group order and must say that all dealing with all the members was a pleasure. As stated before by many others, a wealth of knowledge is at your finger tips at this site. As a fairly new member to the site I was honored that the members put their trust in me to handle the group order. Melanie at AV is a class act and was one of the most pleasant person I have ever dealt with. It will all be worth it in a few weeks when they start shipping. Congrats to all and enjoy.

Dave
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2014
    I have the cases all put together, I will box them up, and have them ready to ship by the end of the weekend...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2014
    WTG Larry!! thanks again!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dhlogic
    dhlogic Posts: 26
    edited August 2014
    Yes, great news. Thanks!
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2014
    14 cases made it to the post office...
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Hey guys, just saw this thread pop up, with just about all the info you'll need to wire up your Dreadnought. So I figured it'd be handy to post a link to it:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?160494-Dreadnought-Assembly-Questions
  • Dang, and I missed out again....
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Their 800VA tranny is an off the shelf item and also brings a big improvement when used as a Dreadnought. Not quite as much as the 1KVA one, but close. Also, a little cheaper
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • westmassguy
    drumminman wrote: »
    Their 800VA tranny is an off the shelf item and also brings a big improvement when used as a Dreadnought. Not quite as much as the 1KVA one, but close. Also, a little cheaper
    It's a lot cheaper. I ordered one about a 6 months ago, came to around $135.00 with shipping.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Drumminman, Westmassguy, HI! Thanks for that info. I haven't had time for much in the way of hobbies, between work and the wife having an MI last year right before Christmas. I'm just getting around to finishing up the center channel I was working on at the time.
    SDA SRS, SDA SRS1.2TL, SDA-1C,SDA 2B, Soundcraftsmen Amplification (A5002s, MA5002s, MA5002As)
  • westmassguy
    Drumminman, Westmassguy, HI! Thanks for that info. I haven't had time for much in the way of hobbies, between work and the wife having an MI last year right before Christmas. I'm just getting around to finishing up the center channel I was working on at the time.
    Hey Mark, hope all is well
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Westmassguy, It's all returning to semi-normal around here. The wife went through extensive physical therapy/rehab after the MI and the pair of stents they put in, but she has returned to work. Finally, I'm getting around to finish projects begun beforehand. I'll go dig up that old build thread and update it once I've taken some pictures of where I am presently.

I guess that all things considered, we're doing okay. I just wish I'd been in on this big buy. Oh well, all I can hope for is the next one, I suppose.

Mark
  • dhlogic
    edited August 2014
    No one's posted an update on this yet, so I figure I might as well! I got Larry's case on Thursday and the cables I plan on using with it yesterday.

The cables are SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables with Neutrik NL4FC connectors. I have Neutrik NL4MP sockets and Neutrik SCDP-0 black gaskets for the case, amp and speakers on order from partsexpress.

Everything looks great, can't wait to put everything together.

njd5himsypov.jpg
    case.jpg 1013.2K
  • Toolfan66
    What are you building to the left in the pic?

Those cables look great!!
  • dhlogic
    It's going to be a Nelson Pass F5 amplifier. It's my first real DIY electronics project. I've been doing research on it for quite some time, so everything should go smoothly. I've been collecting parts for the past couple years and now I'm close to start making progress on it.

Same with my SDA-2B's. I've got your rings, gimpod pcb's, RDO-198 tweeters, Sonic Craft caps, Mills resistors, Jantzen coils (waiting for a custom order to arrive though) to replace all the stock ones, and the Avel Lindberg isolation transformer once it arrives. I've been collecting these parts since 2011 haha. I'm pretty excited to get started soon.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    dhlogic wrote: »
    It's going to be a Nelson Pass F5 amplifier. It's my first real DIY electronics project. I've been doing research on it for quite some time, so everything should go smoothly. I've been collecting parts for the past couple years and now I'm close to start making progress on it.

Same with my SDA-2B's. I've got your rings, gimpod pcb's, RDO-198 tweeters, Sonic Craft caps, Mills resistors, Jantzen coils (waiting for a custom order to arrive though) to replace all the stock ones, and the Avel Lindberg isolation transformer once it arrives. I've been collecting these parts since 2011 haha. I'm pretty excited to get started soon.

I bought a Zen Balanced Line Stage from SCompRacer and am gonna be tweaking mine a bit as well. The Nelson Pass DIY stuff is some stuff I'd like to try, specifically the Burning Amp for the kido w/ some bookshelves.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Frank left off the end bell on those Neutrik connectors. Pretty cheesy, IMO.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk