Greatest thing since sliced pizza?

stretchlstretchl Posts: 1,027
Are any of you following the thread below on audiogon? Sounds like a lot of hogwash to me, but then again tin foil hats were never my style.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/new-tweak-its-fantastic
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Adcom GFA-555ii --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's
Visuals
http://StretchPhotography.com
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Comments

• decaldecal Posts: 3,063
    Like all "tweak" threads, it's just a big pissing contest.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,545
    Not commenting on the efficacy, but it seems like a coordinated guerilla marketing campaign. Pretty incredible, though, how it can make a $10 CD player sound like a $10,000 model! :p
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,145
    edited June 29
    I have some cerious technologies speaker cables and interconnects based on graphene, while they are great sounding cables they are not miles ahead of every other cable.
    www.cerioustechnologies.com
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,264
    edited June 29
    I'm just here to say the thread title made me stop for a second, and gave me a chuckle.

Just quickly skimmed a few of the posts in the other thread. Interesting idea in the name of "smoothing" or "closing the gap" in the conductivity path. It's something I'd be open to a demo for to satisfy the curiosity.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,752
    microarching, eh?

Tiny bridges?

Tiny ships from the old testament?

maybe microarcing?

(as if that were a thing)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,509
    Literally snake oil.

snakeoil.png
    Got Dayens?
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,808
    The Audiogon thread says it makes a world of difference... yet somehow I still think it’s a “difference” I can’t hear... :tongue:
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Speakers are one of three, Mission Freedom 770 IV’s, Polk LSi25’s, or Polk SDA-CRS (stock XO, SL2000’s, Blade/Blade model). Electronics are as follows: for the LSi’s and SDA’s, a Technics SU-v75 acting as a phono preamp, into a Yamaha RX-v665, into a Crown XLi800 power amplifier. For the Missions, I have a Lafayette LR-1100. Turntable is a Technics SL-3200, with a Shure M97xE. Cables are generic/soon to be replaced garbage.
    An old post I found on AK, from 2013.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    Jumping off my AQ Type 2 review thread, I think you'd easily be able to hear the difference between standard speaker wire and the T2. Hope you can give it a try soon.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    The Audiogon thread says it makes a world of difference... yet somehow I still think it’s a “difference” I can’t hear... :tongue:

Got Dayens?
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,808
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Jumping off my AQ Type 2 review thread, I think you'd easily be able to hear the difference between standard speaker wire and the T2. Hope you can give it a try soon.

I was talking in direct correlation to the “special paste” mentioned in that thread, not cables, I know that they’d make a difference. I will be getting cables when my gear sells, but I just have to wait for... well, my gear to sell.
    Micah
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    Main setup:
    Speakers are one of three, Mission Freedom 770 IV’s, Polk LSi25’s, or Polk SDA-CRS (stock XO, SL2000’s, Blade/Blade model). Electronics are as follows: for the LSi’s and SDA’s, a Technics SU-v75 acting as a phono preamp, into a Yamaha RX-v665, into a Crown XLi800 power amplifier. For the Missions, I have a Lafayette LR-1100. Turntable is a Technics SL-3200, with a Shure M97xE. Cables are generic/soon to be replaced garbage.
    An old post I found on AK, from 2013.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    Yeah I know you were talking about the aforementioned snake oil, it just reminded me of your situation and I got excited for you to hear the change between standard wire and the Type 2! :)
    Got Dayens?

Well -- you know what they say...

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    Interesting. I've heard/read something from the opposite end of the spectrum, that you don't want to touch/disturb/move interconnects and speaker cables once you've installed or put them into place. The thought behind it is that as you use them, small cracks/fissures/pathways form on the surface of the copper wire where the electrical signal is traveling. Moving/bending the cable would disrupt those paths and they'd then have to be reformed by several hours of use.
    Got Dayens?
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,581
    I know my system is a lot quieter if I don't disturb the on/off switch.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot
    I know my system is a lot quieter if I don't disturb the on/off switch.

Similarly, in terms of cable debates, I've always found that my hifi sounds considerably better with cables than without.

Now I'll admit that the source material may have some impact on that.

fnwjnperao8p.png

PS No offense meant to any Kenny G fans on the board -- whether you'd wish to cop to it or not.

:)

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,455
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS No offense meant to any Kenny G fans on the board -- whether you'd wish to cop to it or not.

:)

I'll admit to being somewhat of a fan...got lots of, umm, knowledge in the biblical sense. Went to two different concerts back in the early 90's with two different ladies that loved him. Was surprised that he really put on a good show and had a good band. He has a great sense of humor. The things I've done to get next to a girl.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,455
    Back on topic, I prefer snail slime to coat all my contacts. It's organic.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

There was an electrical contact "enhancer" named Tweek that was highly touted for improving the quality of sound. And, I confess, it did seem to make a beneficial difference when used sparingly on connections that transferred small level signals. It was highly reviewed in both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. The problem was that after some time the chemical composition of the material would change and conductivity would become intermittent, so you'd have one channel or both dropping out. Everybody had to cleanup all their "Tweeked" RCA plugs and sockets
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,564
    There was an electrical contact "enhancer" named Tweek that was highly touted for improving the quality of sound. And, I confess, it did seem to make a beneficial difference when used sparingly on connections that transferred small level signals. It was highly reviewed in both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. The problem was that after some time the chemical composition of the material would change and conductivity would become intermittent, so you'd have one channel or both dropping out. Everybody had to cleanup all their "Tweeked" RCA plugs and sockets

I remember that.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,545
    From the little I read, I got the idea that this new product was also from the same inventor as Tweek. I could be wrong, but I don't care enough to go back through the thread... I'll probably just go the rest of my life with sub-optimal connections. :/
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • verbverb Posts: 2,959

I had to chuckle on that one. In the meantime the seller packed up his covered wagon and rode into the next town! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,197
    I'll stick with Pro Gold.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,100

I used it back in the day, and it worked initially, but after some time it "Hardened" to a glue like consistency. I ripped a few ground shields off trying to pry interconnects off my receiver or amp at the time.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,100
    microarching, eh?

Tiny bridges?

maybe microarcing?

How can you have an arc, micro or otherwise, if the there's already a mechanical connection between the two metal contacts?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
    microarching, eh?

Tiny bridges?

maybe microarcing?

How can you have an arc, micro or otherwise, if the there's already a mechanical connection between the two metal contacts?

The ad copy invoked microarching -- I envision a tiny Utah landscape.
    Not sure what the sonic impact would be of that -- maybe tiny echoes?

• msgmsg Posts: 4,264
    My understanding of this theory and all the micro talk was about how no hard metal surface is truly smooth at the micro level, hence the arcing (or arching for little Utahs), and that this conductive liquid fills in the gaps.
    edited July 2
    Gentlemen, please remain on topic, thanks.