Greatest thing since sliced pizza?

stretchl
stretchl Posts: 1,334
Are any of you following the thread below on audiogon? Sounds like a lot of hogwash to me, but then again tin foil hats were never my style.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/new-tweak-its-fantastic
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Like all "tweak" threads, it's just a big pissing contest.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Not commenting on the efficacy, but it seems like a coordinated guerilla marketing campaign. Pretty incredible, though, how it can make a $10 CD player sound like a $10,000 model! :p
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited June 2018
    I have some cerious technologies speaker cables and interconnects based on graphene, while they are great sounding cables they are not miles ahead of every other cable.
    www.cerioustechnologies.com
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited June 2018
    I'm just here to say the thread title made me stop for a second, and gave me a chuckle.

Just quickly skimmed a few of the posts in the other thread. Interesting idea in the name of "smoothing" or "closing the gap" in the conductivity path. It's something I'd be open to a demo for to satisfy the curiosity.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    microarching, eh?

Tiny bridges?

Tiny ships from the old testament?

maybe microarcing?

(as if that were a thing)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Literally snake oil.

snakeoil.png
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    The Audiogon thread says it makes a world of difference... yet somehow I still think it’s a “difference” I can’t hear... :tongue:
  • Clipdat
    Jumping off my AQ Type 2 review thread, I think you'd easily be able to hear the difference between standard speaker wire and the T2. Hope you can give it a try soon.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    The Audiogon thread says it makes a world of difference... yet somehow I still think it’s a “difference” I can’t hear... :tongue:

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Jumping off my AQ Type 2 review thread, I think you'd easily be able to hear the difference between standard speaker wire and the T2. Hope you can give it a try soon.

I was talking in direct correlation to the “special paste” mentioned in that thread, not cables, I know that they’d make a difference. I will be getting cables when my gear sells, but I just have to wait for... well, my gear to sell.
    Micah
  • Clipdat
    Yeah I know you were talking about the aforementioned snake oil, it just reminded me of your situation and I got excited for you to hear the change between standard wire and the Type 2! :)
  • mhardy6647

Well -- you know what they say...

https://youtu.be/CbIhYhrOJAg
  • Clipdat
    Interesting. I've heard/read something from the opposite end of the spectrum, that you don't want to touch/disturb/move interconnects and speaker cables once you've installed or put them into place. The thought behind it is that as you use them, small cracks/fissures/pathways form on the surface of the copper wire where the electrical signal is traveling. Moving/bending the cable would disrupt those paths and they'd then have to be reformed by several hours of use.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I know my system is a lot quieter if I don't disturb the on/off switch.
  • mhardy6647
    I know my system is a lot quieter if I don't disturb the on/off switch.

Similarly, in terms of cable debates, I've always found that my hifi sounds considerably better with cables than without.

Now I'll admit that the source material may have some impact on that.

fnwjnperao8p.png
  • mhardy6647
    PS No offense meant to any Kenny G fans on the board -- whether you'd wish to cop to it or not.

:)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS No offense meant to any Kenny G fans on the board -- whether you'd wish to cop to it or not.

:)

I'll admit to being somewhat of a fan...got lots of, umm, knowledge in the biblical sense. Went to two different concerts back in the early 90's with two different ladies that loved him. Was surprised that he really put on a good show and had a good band. He has a great sense of humor. The things I've done to get next to a girl.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Back on topic, I prefer snail slime to coat all my contacts. It's organic.
  • [Deleted User]
    There was an electrical contact "enhancer" named Tweek that was highly touted for improving the quality of sound. And, I confess, it did seem to make a beneficial difference when used sparingly on connections that transferred small level signals. It was highly reviewed in both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. The problem was that after some time the chemical composition of the material would change and conductivity would become intermittent, so you'd have one channel or both dropping out. Everybody had to cleanup all their "Tweeked" RCA plugs and sockets
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    There was an electrical contact "enhancer" named Tweek that was highly touted for improving the quality of sound. And, I confess, it did seem to make a beneficial difference when used sparingly on connections that transferred small level signals. It was highly reviewed in both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. The problem was that after some time the chemical composition of the material would change and conductivity would become intermittent, so you'd have one channel or both dropping out. Everybody had to cleanup all their "Tweeked" RCA plugs and sockets

I remember that.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    From the little I read, I got the idea that this new product was also from the same inventor as Tweek. I could be wrong, but I don't care enough to go back through the thread... I'll probably just go the rest of my life with sub-optimal connections. :/
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

I had to chuckle on that one. In the meantime the seller packed up his covered wagon and rode into the next town! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I'll stick with Pro Gold.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850

I used it back in the day, and it worked initially, but after some time it "Hardened" to a glue like consistency. I ripped a few ground shields off trying to pry interconnects off my receiver or amp at the time.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    microarching, eh?

Tiny bridges?

maybe microarcing?

How can you have an arc, micro or otherwise, if the there's already a mechanical connection between the two metal contacts?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    microarching, eh?

Tiny bridges?

maybe microarcing?

How can you have an arc, micro or otherwise, if the there's already a mechanical connection between the two metal contacts?

The ad copy invoked microarching -- I envision a tiny Utah landscape.
    Not sure what the sonic impact would be of that -- maybe tiny echoes?

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    My understanding of this theory and all the micro talk was about how no hard metal surface is truly smooth at the micro level, hence the arcing (or arching for little Utahs), and that this conductive liquid fills in the gaps.
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Gentlemen, please remain on topic, thanks.