Finally, my entrance into the vinyl rabbit hole!

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    No, I'm afraid the cantilever is bent and you'll have a channel imbalance.

Ok. Is there a way I can fix it, or do I just need to buy a new cartridge? Can I buy just a stylus?
    Thanks,
    Micah
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Yeah that does not look right. The cantilever should not be bent. Its is bent to the side even on the first photo you posted so its likely thats the way it came to you. https://www.needledoctor.com/analog/turntable-parts/replacement-stylus/brand/Stanton

Maybe this will help.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mlistens03
    Manticore wrote: »
    Yeah that does not look right. The cantilever should not be bent. Its is bent to the side even on the first photo you posted so its likely thats the way it came to you. https://www.needledoctor.com/analog/turntable-parts/replacement-stylus/brand/Stanton

Maybe this will help.

Thanks! I will check out that link.
    That’s kind of unfortunate, I felt like the cart was half the deal... oh well.
  • Manticore

And the possibility of damaging your records with continuous playing. I would halt the record playing till you get a replacement.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • mlistens03

And the possibility of damaging your records with continuous playing. I would halt the record playing till you get a replacement.

Oh, didn’t think about that. I will pack it up for now, and get a replacement ASAP.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    An alternative to the Spin Clean is the Vinyl Styl Deep Groove Record Washer System and @msg thinks very highly of it.

Check out this thread on user's techniques & tips for cleaning your records: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182208/cleaning-vinyl-records/p1
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Manticore
    I would think that playing a record many times with a damaged cart would/could possibly have a damaging effect on your vinyl. There are other places to get a replacement stylus for your needs.
    https://www.turntableneedles.com/
    http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm
    http://www.turntablebasics.com/

These are just a few for reference to look at. Happy hunting!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Holy ship man, I didn't think you were going to just blindly go at the thing without asking questions. I guess I feel partly to blame for not being initially specific about what to do, PM me your address.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Many of stylus have been wrecked by the Magic Eraser.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mlistens03
    I would think that playing a record many times with a damaged cart would/could possibly have a damaging effect on your vinyl. There are other places to get a replacement stylus for your needs.
    https://www.turntableneedles.com/
    http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm
    http://www.turntablebasics.com/

These are just a few for reference to look at. Happy hunting!

I will look into it! Thanks!
    Many of stylus have been wrecked by the Magic Eraser.

I don’t think this one was, I barely even touched it. And the first picture I posted (from yesterday) shows the bent stylus no words that I’m looking at it closer.
  • mlistens03
    Nightfall wrote: »
    1) Get a Spinclean

2) Try to buy your records new. If you buy used ones be very critical of their condition.

3) Get MoFi sleeves.

Some noise is inevitable but constant snaps and crackles aren't normal with a clean record in pristine shape.

Didn’t notice that you edited this earlier.
    All the records I have technically belong to my dad, but I will get my own soon. My dad has MoFi sleeves which are in all his records.
    I didn’t realize how scratched up sgt. Peppers was before I played it, after pulling it off I realize do it was in terrible condition. Beatles 62-66 was much more clean.
    Mcah
  • Nightfall
    Was it already bent? Well eff that I'm not buying you a new cartridge then. I'm just kidding, let's karma it up, I'm seeing what I can find I just need an address to send it to.

• mlistens03
    edited June 2018
    Was it already bent? Well eff that I'm not buying you a new cartridge then. I'm just kidding, let's karma it up, I'm seeing what I can find I just need an address to send it to.

Just gotta wait for parental approval. I wish I didn’t have to wait for them to talk about it, but oh well.
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Thanks so much dude!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    These are my two favorite funny stylus damage stories, shared by two cool and funny guys. Still makes me laugh B)
    Well since I am half blind with no glasses I thought that I had lifted the tone arm off of the eraser, but nooooooo! Swung it over and the stylus bent over 45 degrees out of place. I bent it back but it is still off center. So what should I replace it with? Amazon has the stylus for 32 bucks, the whole damned cartridge is like 39!
    voltz wrote: »
    I did that myself once, ripped the stylus clean off my cartridge after having just started listening to it, was putting on another record with a micro cloth as not to touch it and as I pulled the cloth away it grabbed the stylus and snapped it off. I had just changed my Red Orotofon to a blue.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mlistens03
    msg wrote: »
    These are my two favorite funny stylus damage stories, shared by two cool and funny guys. Still makes me laugh B)
    Well since I am half blind with no glasses I thought that I had lifted the tone arm off of the eraser, but nooooooo! Swung it over and the stylus bent over 45 degrees out of place. I bent it back but it is still off center. So what should I replace it with? Amazon has the stylus for 32 bucks, the whole damned cartridge is like 39!
    voltz wrote: »
    I did that myself once, ripped the stylus clean off my cartridge after having just started listening to it, was putting on another record with a micro cloth as not to touch it and as I pulled the cloth away it grabbed the stylus and snapped it off. I had just changed my Red Orotofon to a blue.

:# neither of those make me laugh. It makes me sad when I see good audio gear destroyed, accidentally or otherwise.
  • mlistens03
    You are not allowed to accept audio candy form strangers?

Depend s on what my parents decide. They both are leaning towards yes I think...
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    If it's a matter of security, have it sent to a PO box... Or your father's place of business. Easy peasy
  • Nightfall
    None of the regulars here would do anything malicious with your address, rest easy.

• mlistens03
    None of the regulars here would do anything malicious with your address, rest easy.

I know, but my parents think it’s kinda strange that you guys send each other gear and stuff. Oh well.
    Do you want me to pay for shipping?
    Thanks again!!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Great entry level/starter cartridge, that is good enough to very well be the last cartridge that you buy. Can't really go wrong with Shure, even though they decided to step out of the vinyl cartridge game.

Attaboy @Nightfall, you're hooking him up proper! :)
    I might be getting you into a Shure M97XE, still working on it. It's a $100 cart new so nothing special but it's a good cart none the less.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I use that same cart on my Technics SL1350. Matches very well with vintage Tech TT's.

Kudos to NF.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Great entry level/starter cartridge, that is good enough to very well be the last cartridge that you buy. Can't really go wrong with Shure, even though they decided to step out of the vinyl cartridge game.

Attaboy @Nightfall, you're hooking him up proper! :)
    I might be getting you into a Shure M97XE, still working on it. It's a $100 cart new so nothing special but it's a good cart none the less.

Definitely will be the last for a long time.
    I use that same cart on my Technics SL1350. Matches very well with vintage Tech TT's.

Kudos to NF.

Awesome! Can’t wait to try it!

Thanks again Nightfall!
  • Nightfall
    Before we go forward I need to know if you or your Dad knows how to install a cartridge properly.

• mlistens03
    edited June 2018
    Before we go forward I need to know if you or your Dad knows how to install a cartridge properly.

My dad might, I think I do as well, but I will have to double check with a YouTube video or something.
    I believe it is something along the lines of this:
    1: remove cartridge mount and then remove old cart
    2: screw the new cart into the mount, leaving on the stylus protector (?)
    3: make sure it is aligned with a protractor
    4: use a scale to set the weight of the tone arm (we have a scale built for this already)
    5: play music to test
    Am I correct, half and half, or did I totally fail the class?
    Edit: oh I just realized it would probably help to put the mount back on the tone arm :#:lol:
  • Nightfall
    You should practice with your broken cartridge.

It looks like you'll be getting the Shure, I'll keep you updated when it goes out nobody is in a rush right?

• mlistens03
    You should practice with your broken cartridge.

It looks like you'll be getting the Shure, I'll keep you updated when it goes out nobody is in a rush right?

I am most definitely not in a rush.
    I will practice with my old cart tonight once I finish tidying up my room a bit.
    Thanks!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Josh is just being a pusher, he gives you nibbles till your addicted

and tell your dad we're not the boogieman , they call us Baba Yaga
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mlistens03
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Josh is just being a pusher, he gives you nibbles till your addicted

LOL yep looking forward to being addicted, although I may not say that when I’m there.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    and tell your dad we're not the boogieman , they call us Baba Yaga

He doesn’t think you guys are, he just is being on the cautious side of things, ya know?