Finally, my entrance into the vinyl rabbit hole!

1234568»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,009
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    .... All of them use NCS music unfortunately, but it still sounds nice...

Dare I ask: What is "NCS music"?
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,632
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    .... All of them use NCS music unfortunately, but it still sounds nice...

Dare I ask: What is "NCS music"?

Oh sorry... No Copyright Sounds for YouTube.
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Micah, I admire you as well for attempting a fix, but here are a few things to consider:
    - Once you start working on it, the seller may not take it back. Especially since it was working when it left his shop.
    - If you're getting noise from all sources, the problem is likely to be more than that one cap. As ClipDat mentioned, that cap is related to power supply, with likely no audio signal even passing through it. Capacitors involved in filtering frequencies are the ones in speaker crossovers. I have a vintage receiver right now that I'm trying to fix, which has some low-level hiss/white noise. So far, I've replaced probably two dozen capacitors on the power supply and amp boards, AND I've replaced all eight output transistors...still no joy. Do you have the service manual for yours?
    - And talk about a rabbit hole. It's easy to start throwing parts at these old units all to no avail. I've been there. "Oh, just one more capacitor/transistor ought to do the trick!" Without proper diagnostic/testing equipment, amateurs like us

This is a good point, but I think if this doesn’t fix it, my dad has a friend who can give me a diagnosis cheaply ($10) and he will also fix it cheaply for me (if I can’t do it myself, of course), so I may take him up on that offer. He actually does proffesional repairs, my father had his turntable repaired by him a few weeks ago.
    I’m also not going to use expensive caps, so if I replace caps until I find it, worst case scenario it will cost me $20, using Unicon (or something similar, like the ones mentioned a few posts back) capacitors. Good caps that will last a while, but aren’t going to seriously improve sound quality. Just restore what has been lost due to age.
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 951
    Sounds good. Nichicon is another good brand for basic caps...made in Japan, NOT China. Going through all the filters at the Digikey website can be overwhelming, but here is one that fits your specs https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/TVX1C102MCD/493-14398-ND/2539867 Make SURE to measure the dimensions of your existing cap (length, width/diameter) and compare to the replacement. Good luck!
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
    Sounds good. Nichicon is another good brand for basic caps...made in Japan, NOT China. Going through all the filters at the Digikey website can be overwhelming, but here is one that fits your specs https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/TVX1C102MCD/493-14398-ND/2539867 Make SURE to measure the dimensions of your existing cap (length, width/diameter) and compare to the replacement. Good luck!

Thanks! I will order some of these today or tomorrow.

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 951
    You're welcome. I have to say, the new one in the stock pic looks very similar to the one in your pic (i.e., no real bulging or swelling in yours :# )
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator

Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
    You're welcome. I have to say, the new one in the stock pic looks very similar to the one in your pic (i.e., no real bulging or swelling in yours :# )

If you look at the edge of the seal around the bottom, it is lifting up. I think that instead of deforming the bottom, it is just pushing it out.

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,138
    I'm not a cap expert, but it looks fine to me. Shrug.

yuklal9o6dx2.png
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm not a cap expert, but it looks fine to me. Shrug.

Every cap I’ve looked at has the bottom plastic level with the black piece on the bottom of the cap. On this one it looks like it has pushed the plastic out of the way, as usually there is at least a little bit of the blue/black/etc. plastic covering the bottom piece.
    Of course, these caps are five years older than any other cap I’ve ever dealt with, so maybe they were made differently.

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,138
    Here's the replacement, even it's plastic isn't fully flush.

VX%20SERIES%2016mm.JPG

Anyway, I'm gonna bow out of this one now. I'm out of my element.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    If I’m honest, I am too :lol:
    Doc, can you give us your expert opinion on this subject?

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,009
    edited July 2018
    I opined earlier that the capacitor isn't likely to be the culprit and that I am skeptical that it's a problem (in general).

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2428583#Comment_2428583
    Ah, HAA!
    op730nul62jb.jpg
    I’ll bet it was the switch and this cap here working together to mess up the sound!

Why?
    That little electrolytic looks like it's in the power supply (I say that based on the four diodes to its left, which I am guessing is a full wave bridge).

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2428588#Comment_2428588
    certainly won't hurt to toss a new 1000 uF @ 16V in its place... but I am skeptical.

I've never been much of a fan of diagnosing bad capacitors based on their appearance, truth be told -- although sometimes it is obvious if they've exploded and been eviscerated.
    I opined earlier that the capacitor isn't likely to be the culprit and that I am skeptical that it's a problem (in general).

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2428583#Comment_2428583
    Ah, HAA!
    op730nul62jb.jpg
    I’ll bet it was the switch and this cap here working together to mess up the sound!

Why?
    That little electrolytic looks like it's in the power supply (I say that based on the four diodes to its left, which I am guessing is a full wave bridge).

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2428588#Comment_2428588
    certainly won't hurt to toss a new 1000 uF @ 16V in its place... but I am skeptical.

Oops... sorry, I forgot :#

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,535
    edited July 2018
    @Clipdat That is an awesome gesture, when I FIRST got here @Nightfall offered to loan me an amp. Reasons like this are why I stay...well that and you know I don't have any friends that are into audio like I am locally.

While there is a great risk with vintage gear I still rely on my vintage Yamaha. Got it for $24 bucks and never had an issue with it. Sounds great to me too, Nichicon caps and all.

Granted I am still eventually going to move over to B&K but I get what you are saying. My problem with vintage isn't the cost but the cost of a refresh and possibly changing the sound doing so.
    Post edited by codycatalist on
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    @Clipdat That is an awesome gesture, when I FIRST got here @motorhead43026 offered to loan me an amp. Reasons like this are why I stay...well that and you know I don't have any friends that are into audio like I am locally.
    Definitely!
    While there is a great risk with vintage gear I still rely on my vintage Yamaha. Got it for $24 bucks and never had an issue with it. Sounds great to me too, Nichicon caps and all.

Granted I am still eventually going to move over to B&K but I get what you are saying. My problem with vintage isn't the cost but the cost of a refresh and possibly changing the sound doing so.

Hopefully if I use the same brand and value capacitors, it will sound exactly the same as it did brand new. Because some of those caps must have wandered off by now...