SVS vs Sunfire (?)

Options

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    Options
    It really depends on A: how much money you want to spend? B: how big a sub you want? and yes size and price sometimes dictate a purchase for some. The SVS is very large, almost mamoth and not for everyone.. if you have the space it performs excellent on movies AND music.. I use mine for movies 90% until recently i had a dedicated 2 channel rig that i listened to music on... plus its a large purchase either demo locally or take a chance as everyone has a return policy..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thats good advice. All of us will have our favorite. Listening is always the key.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • emcclary
    emcclary Posts: 29
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey you have to give Bob Carver his due. If he does one thing well its to create a stir in the industry every time he introduces a "new" product line. He certainly has done some remarkable things with amps, etc over the years. Unfortunately it is done at a very high price usually.
    HT Setup
    Rec B&k AVR307 w/updated software and hardware
    DVD Sony DVP S9000ES
    VCR JVC SVHS HR-S3600U
    CD Nakamichi MB3S
    2 Monster HTS3600
    Sony KF-60XBR800 LCD Proj
    Mains Def Tech BP7004
    CLR Def Tech 2500
    Sides Def Tech UIW BPZ/A
    Rears Def Tech BPVX
    Sub Def Tech Supercube 1

Outdoor System
    Rec Sony STR DE197 (2 Chan)
    Cd Nakamichi MB3S CD (Yes I have two of them)
    Speakers Paradigm Stylus 350's
  • Pinktulip7
    Pinktulip7 Posts: 249
    edited September 2005
    Options
    :mad: Dude listen you are missing a point here.....Ask u'rself what do you want A.A decent high end Sub B.Cosmetic value/size/color etc................
    I listen too many Sub in last couple of years nothing even came close to SVS :mad:
    TV :>Panasonic TC-P55VT50
    RECEIVER :> HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
    FRONT :> L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
    AMP :1> PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
    AMP :2> EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
    CENTER :> POLK LSiM 706c 250 W
    SURROUND SIDE :> POLK RTi A3 150 W
    SURROUND REAR :>POLK FXI A6 150 W
    DVD PLAYER(HD) :>TOSHIBA HD X-A2
    DVD PLAYER(BLU-RAY) :>Panasonic DMP-UB900
    POWER CONDITIONER :> PANAMAX M5400-EX
    SUBWOOFER :A> SVS SB16-Ultra 1500 W Front
    SUBWOOFER :B> SVS SB16-Ultra 1500 W Rear
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Why are you getting pissed? Value has more to do with perception than $$$. There are far to many variables when it comes to choosing sub's, speakers, electronics, etc. There simply isn't a single sub on the market that can meet everyones requirements or expectations. Buy whatever looks the best/sounds the best/smells the best to you[/] and not what what everyone else thinks is the right choice. If a $100 sub rattles your fancy then who's to say it's garbage.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have the mid sized SVS cylinder and have thought about the Sunfire and Martin Logan for their smaller size.

For movies and a tight budget with plenty of space I would vote SVS.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Svs's arent all that cheap.... start at 500.00 up to like 2500.00 isn't budget or cheap, they have from basic black to high end finishes so all this budget bang for buck makes em sound like cheap subs.. If you gotta have small and a well known name..... plenty to choose from. if you want something that works with anything and is huge... SVS :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Frank Z wrote:
    If a $100 sub rattles your fancy then who's to say it's garbage.

Me. :D

But, then, we all know I know nothing. So, it wouldn't really matter anyways.

If/when I get a sub (man...I can't even see that far into the future...*sigh*), it'll *probably* be a HSU. Very musical, reasonably sized, look good, great prices.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • gadgetman
    gadgetman Posts: 28
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I usually place the sub at corner of the wall for a deep bass. Some critics say put in the front near the other speakers.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2005
    Options
    yeah, that PB10 does start at $430.00 and it all goes up from there.

Even though I measured over and over again before purchasing the cylinder it still seemed huge when it arrived. :eek:

The HSU comes in a beautiful reddish wood color like the Rocket speakers.

I would guess the sub should go where it sounds best.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,061
    edited September 2005
    Options
    gadgetman wrote:
    I usually place the sub at corner of the wall for a deep bass. Some critics say put in the front near the other speakers.

Putting the sub in the corner means nothing more than a boom box. Keep it out of the corner for music.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Putting the sub in the corner means nothing more than a boom box. Keep it out of the corner for music.
    WRONG! One of the best places for any sub is in the corner of the room, preferably when one of the walls is the longest unbroken wall (no doors/windows). Corner loading a sub can dramatically increase the amount of bass in a room.

Obviously everyone's room is going to be different so careful consideration should be given to all placement options. The easiest method is to place your sub in your primary listening position and then try standing/sitting/kneeling in multiple places in the room. Once you've found the spot that the sub sounds the best without being able to pinpoint where the bass is coming from(localization), that's where you put the sub.
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yes, it can increase the amount of bass in a room. But sometimes that means it turns into a boomy sub.

Of course this will be different room to room. But generally, if you are looking for music first... the corner is not exactly your best starting point.

I'm not saying your wrong...

But you are saying I am wrong...

The farther my sub gets away from the corner, the more it tightens up, and this seems to follow with alot of people.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Soory Sidman...Frank's point is a good one. Hell...even the SVS sight will tell ya the same!
    I came onto this conversation late in the game so excuse me if I hash an old topic.
    I myself own an SVS (25-31 PCi) but damn...I have heard the Sunfire MANY times and that little beast can hold it's own PERIOD!
    Would I say SVS is better? Hell no. Taste ...it's all in the taste of your flavor.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You both are totally ignoring my point. I mean its annoying.
    Selective reading I guess?

I am NOT saying there are no benefits to corner loading. The benefits are increased output, lower extention. Yeah yeah yeah... who cares?

I'm talking MUSIC. Corner loading for MUSIC, is NOT always a good idea. Especially in most rooms. Getting a subwoofer AWAY** from walls is desireable for music. The less the house adds on, THE BETTER. Look at your house as nothing more than a trampoline, it resonates, it flexes... it adds ALOT to the music that you don't want in all frequencies.

Getting your sub AWAY from the walls is a good thing...

If your reply to my response right here involves the word Extention, Output, Increase infront of either of those words, please don't even reply. I know those benefits. If you can explain why moving a sub AWAY from the corner is bad for music... please, explain.

SVS says...

"Yet for the lowest extension, and the greatest natural reinforcement of the bass sound pressure level (SPL) corner placement is nearly always best in nearly every shape room (and regardless of the brand of subwoofer).. "

This is basically what you try to accomplish in a HT setup, but this is NOT always a desireable trait in music. HT does not really contain defined bass by no margin, your sub could be off the wall boomy and you wouldnt even notice it.

If you are running a music setup right now with your sub in the corner, try moving it out of the corner. You may lose some output, but the other results make up for it. The only time I have found a sub needing corner placement for music is when it just was to small for the room and couldnt keep up. It needed the reinforcement just to sound somewhat good.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sid,

You better quit while you are only slightly behind, as quitting while you were ahead in this thread was abandoned after the first page. I know you have a lot af knowledge and experience with different types of speaks and subs, BUT, you are coming off as a know-it-all a**hole with the blatant statements bashing designs and placement other than those you use.

Chill out, loosen up and think before you type. I recall a thread a couple months back when you were touting the new found love for music without a sub. Why even discuss placement. BTW, lower extension and increased output have never been the qualities of boomboxes.

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm not trying to come off that way at all. I'm just sick of people ignoring various points of my argument, which is the only basis of my argument. The first part of my argument in this thread, was value. Now my argument is music.

There are different variables for different materials. For movies we have different placement, where a corner is better and a higher crossover is better. Where as with music, a more toned down subwoofer... with a lower crossover point is better.

Again, I'm not trying to say I know it all, but its often been found by a few on here and other forums keeping your sub away from the corner in music leads to a good thing.

As for bashing Sunfire... small subs are just something I don't "understand". While I understand why we have them, I also don't understand why we do... I don't mean to bash, reall I dont.

I think it goes along the lines its the exact opposite of what I have been taught... I've been taught that small speakers are never going to be as good as large speakers. So trying to put a small subwoofer in the same sentence as an absolutely gigantic subwoofer just confuses me. Because people saying that large speakers are better than small ones always, are the ones sitting here arguing the Sunfire is a great subwoofer. Which, I am sure it is - really, but I don't understand half of the entire platform behind it if that makes sense...

To me it is just "wrong". And when people tell me its good because its small, I just get frustrated more because I still don't understand it. I don't understand the entire thing to the point of being able to see the side of the owner of the Sunfire or any small subwoofer. It just hasn't been something I have been taught.

My apologies. I'm just tired of people arguing points I'm not even arguing...

When people just skim what your saying on a forum, or just ignore what you are trying to say - just reminds me of when people cut you off in a conversation to but into a point that is half made. They get half the story and start to make up their mind. This annoys me to no end, and it isn't any different on a forum.

Now maybe I should of explained my first post a bit more... ;)

Also, I meant boombox as booom booom booom from a box... not a boombox boombox :)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'd hafta say I think Sid's posts are just fine. He's had a lot of experience and has learned a lot, and his arguments all make sense and are relevant. I don't think he's coming off too strong at all. However, that depends on perception, which is different for everybody. BUT[/i], that doesn't affect the validity of his arguments.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm cool with Sid, we just see things a little different sometimes. I have 4 boys that are just as opinionated as he is so I call BS when I smell it. ;) I know that for his age, he knows tons about what he discusses as the "young grasshopper" has learned much. :D

It is just his short little statements that look like "end-all/be-all" comments that I can't let slide. They express the anger and disgust that resides in him, not the facts of the discussion.

SVS subs are one of, if not the "best bass for the $$$" subs that money can buy. We are in total agreement there. Sunfire wins the "best bass for the space" category. Frank understands this and this makes his viewpoint valid. They have totally different design goals with both achieving those goals.

For the best bass, I still choose Infinite Baffle. Oh yeah, thats another thread.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2005
    Options
    ... small subs are just something I don't "understand". While I understand why we have them, I also don't understand why we do... I don't mean to bash, reall I dont.

I think it goes along the lines its the exact opposite of what I have been taught... I've been taught that small speakers are never going to be as good as large speakers. So trying to put a small subwoofer in the same sentence as an absolutely gigantic subwoofer just confuses me. Because people saying that large speakers are better than small ones always, are the ones sitting here arguing the Sunfire is a great subwoofer. Which, I am sure it is - really, but I don't understand half of the entire platform behind it if that makes sense...
    Read this and you'll have a better understanding of why a large box/tube is not needed to make dep powerfull bass. Yes you can get incredible sound from less than 1 square foot of floor space, enough to rival any other sub being discussed here. Better than any of them?...well that's for the individual to decide. Do I think the Sunfire sounds better than the SVS, no opinion because I've never heard an SVS, but I do know that you don't need to sacrifice a bunch of acreage for a sub.
  • 95Honda
    95Honda Posts: 77
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Just think of how great of a sub you guys could have designed together in the time took writting all these posts... heh heh heh....
    www.forceaudio.com .... We cut through the BS.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sub design will be discussed till the end of time, since "big bass" is the horsepower of audio and how to get horsepower has been around since engines came on to the scene.

Bench racing is our favorite pastime, since our wives don't let us out of the house. :D

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2005
    Options
    95Honda wrote:
    Just think of how great of a sub you guys could have designed together in the time took writting all these posts... heh heh heh....

..............and imagine all of the shank wounds!!! :eek:

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • 95Honda
    95Honda Posts: 77
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Seriously though, in my opinion, if someone likes something, then it is right for them.... Even if it is something that sounds awfull. Not to mention most people have never even heard reference levels of bass....

It took me 15 years and about 50 different subwoofers being built before I built what I consider pretty much untouchable by almost anyones standards....

And I still want more......
    www.forceaudio.com .... We cut through the BS.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sunfire vs SVS? I've heard both. The sunfire is all about pressure and the SVS is all about tone. I'll take tone every time. The sunfire is cool in my opinion but I would have trouble enjoying it for any amount of time. Just my opinion.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Frank...
    Its not that I have issues understanding that a small box can create bass. That isnt the issue, Ive heard the Velo DD series do it.

What I have problems comprehending is why you would spend 2-3 times the price just to get small sub that performs the same, if not less than a larger subwoofer.

See being a kid, on a tight budget, that has been pretty much taught to get the best deal available on a sonic level, buying something because of its size just dosnt make sense to me.

Now it is hard for me to understand exactly why someone would want to spend more to get similar performance of a larger product.

To me, this makes almost no sense. This may be offensive or whatever... but to me it just makes next to zero sense.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Its easy Sid, size matters to Debbie Z. ;)

• VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Now THAT I can understand...

Its when you would choose small over large when those restrictions arnt there that I dont get...
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I think your "most for your money" approach is solid, and I think that almost all of us feel the same way. Big sub boxes really do intrude into a space like a living room or a nicely done theater room like Frank's. The balance of sound and decor is always of importance when you are looking for the right look though.

• VR3
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yeah, when Liquid Sound made his way over here, the first thing he said was the SVS was massive, much larger than the pictures make them look. But he also said they look real good, much better than the pictures make them seem. The cloth they use is very elegant...

And one of the points he made was it wouldnt take up much floor space than his Velodyne CHT 8 he had... I mean 16" round isnt that bad. But in Franks room, having a large water heater would look akward I guess...