What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options
1182183184185186188»

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,886
    Options
    Hope you bought some spares. :)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,715
    Options
    "Replacement AA62B tubes cost $900 each, and are rated to last 5000 hours, but have been known to last much longer than that."
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 911
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Hope you bought some spares. :)

Amp came with an extra pair.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 697
    Options
    I ordered a couple of power cables to try with my amplifier. The audioquest Blizzard, and a vintage KCI Fireball. I will be comparing these to the Pangea AC9 that I have been using for the last year.

43kah7ues6ec.jpg
    wi3imdcy9kjq.jpg
    fjwvs91avb3v.jpg
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,232
    Options
    I pulled the Mcintosh C2300 from the rig and did some deep cleaning of the insides and replaced the side panels that were chipped up and scratched by previous ownership. Now that all the dust, fingerprints and the new side panels are installed, it is indistinguishable from new.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,568
    Options
    Might want to clean the contacts on the KCI Fireball....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    So, I got in a couple of days ago a product from Veri Fi called the "Snubway". The results so far have been interesting. I just swapped locations, after it being plugged into the same circuit for 2 days upstream in the circuit. I just moved it into the audio room to see if there is any other change.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    Options
    I did clean it. The Fireball cable is heavily shielded with an overall copper braid. It completely hollowed out the midrange, gave the high frequency a nice sparkle, and emphasized the bass slightly. It wasn't bad, but it's not the sound I'm going for. It would probably be a good cable for a tube amplifier. I'm trying it on my subwoofer now. The AQ Blizzard is by far the most balanced sounding power cable, within my budget, that I have heard on this amplifier. The soundstage is a little wider a lot taller, and I can pinpoint instruments more precisely. I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing! The top end is just ever so slightly grainy.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • treitz3
    Options
    If you just cleaned it? It's gonna have a "characteristic" for a couple of days. FYI.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    So, I got in a couple of days ago a product from Veri Fi called the "Snubway". The results so far have been interesting. I just swapped locations, after it being plugged into the same circuit for 2 days upstream in the circuit. I just moved it into the audio room to see if there is any other change.

Tom

Expect a post and review on this one. I'm not very impressed with many things in a snake oil versed audio world but I have been sursprised at this relatively inexpensive unit.

Key words - more in the music, not in the reproduction. Tommy like.

Tom
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,546
    Options
    There is a review by Tom Gibbs of Positive Feedback (positive-feedback.com) of the Snubway. Tom has also reviewed other Vera Fi products. Based on his review, I’m tempted.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Damn. I just read that review and many of his points (most of them, actually) mimic my personal observations thus far.

Now to change up some chit!

I love this hobby!!!!

'Till the next episode....

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Keep in mind, I already have 5 Puron's on the same circuit, along with other devices to thwart noise. This one?

I don't know if it was a cumulative effect or the icing on the cake but as mentioned? Tommy like. The end result as to what hits your ears is awesome.

When I do the things that I am planning on? I'll be able to hear the vinyl rig as well. Looking forward to that!

I appreciate your mentioning that review. Thanks.

Tom
  • newbie308
    edited June 27
    Options
    I finally picked up an amplifier stand for the Threshold Stasis2. This is an Adona stand with an add on shelf for future possibilities.

h5173x2gk53i.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,248
    Options
    Jeebus
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,728
    Options
    Holy crap, dude! Saweet! 👍

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,048
    Options
    Noice!!!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,067
    Options
    NICE!
    B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,074
    Options
    I spent the 10 seconds necessary to switch power supplies on my Fosi class d amp. The smaller 32 volt ps keeps the Fosi at room temp while the 48 volt unit causes it to run warm on it's 4ohm load.
    rs72zi1s6w2b.jpg

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,753
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I finally picked up an amplifier stand for the Threshold Stasis2. This is an Adona stand with an add on shelf for future possibilities.

No offense, but isn't that amp facing the wrong direction? Sideways.

• newbie308
    Options
    Interesting! Is there any change in sq with the bigger power supply?
  • newbie308
    Options
    @WilliamM2 Yes it is. My room is too cramped to put the amplifier in its ideal location and proper orientation, unfortunately. These are the woes of living in a 300 year old 900 square foot living space house...
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,074
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    Interesting! Is there any change in sq with the bigger power supply?

I was hoping to hear one but if there is any change I can't hear it. In addition to less heat the smaller ps also gives a more linear control to the volume knob which is helpful.