Options
14567810»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,810
    edited June 24
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Somebody has to find a way to pay for the roads since EV owners won’t pay any gas tax and there are enough of them now to matter.

I’d still prefer a weight based system to account for increased wear.

Honestly it's very easy, everyone in every state must buy a sticker or plates EVERY year, correct?
    Well then every year at the DMV they record your odometer reading, then charge you for mileage drove in your EV. That's just one idea. It's either that or a tax as you charge like as you buy gas. It's not rocket science.
    Or it shouldn't be.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,983
    Options
    I could live with any of those methods. If you have a heavier ICE vehicle, you generally consume more gas, therefore, indirectly, you contribute more to road costs. If you have a heavier EV, you generally consume more kWh, so contribute more as well.

But how would home charging be factored in? Most owners charge at home at least 90% of the time.

As for the miles driven method, not sure how easy that would be to enforce. Wouldn’t want to shatter anyone’s dreams about humankind, but there *are* dishonest people out there. I guess they could cross reference with CARFAX or something… 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    On a side note… we recently added a kid to our insurance policy. The premium was inspected to increase, but then we discovered that Geico, in their wisdom, had decided that all four vehicles were being driven the standard 12,000 miles per year! 48,000 in total! 😱

Both trucks tow horses to get to competitions, so no, they do not drive 12,000 miles each. Neither of the cars do either.

So after I updated the actual mileage to reflect reality, we ended up paying $600 less in insurance. 😳

Now for the cherry 🍒 on top 🍰

Since then, we got a letter from Geico stating that we drove less than the average for California. We have a form to fill out confirming the mileage. If we don’t respond within 30 days, the mileage will automatically be reset to 12,000 per vehicle by default.

I’ll be switching to AAA soon anyway, so it’ll be a moot point soon enough. ✌️
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,810
    edited June 24
    Options
    But how would home charging be factored in? Most owners charge at home at least 90% of the time.
    Easy once again, separate electric meter for that, fees are factored in your bill. No different than those that have a separate water meter for lawn irrigation, there's no sewer or water reclamation fees on that water.
    Come on man, it's not that hard.
    As for the miles driven method, not sure how easy that would be to enforce. Wouldn’t want to shatter anyone’s dreams about humankind, but there *are* dishonest people out there. I guess they could cross reference with CARFAX or something… 🤷‍♂️
    It's illegal as hell to mess with your odometer. Even when you send your odometer speedometer unit in for service, it doesn't come back as zero man when you get a new one. They come back with the exact mileage on them as they went in with.
    Seriously, you really want to do penitentiary time or pay huge fines to save a few hundred dollars on your fees? Ridiculous!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,307
    Options
    [quote="pitdogg2[
    Easy once again, separate electric meter for that, fees are factored in your bill. No different than those that have a separate water meter for lawn irrigation, there's no sewer or water reclamation fees on that water.
    Come on man, it's not that hard.

This would be the only logical way to do it. The tax would at least get paid once a month instead of once a year.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,567
    Options
    I can't see Kex's posts but fellas, let's keep this thread on point. This is not a battle amongst ourselves. It is a battle against what we know we don't have the infrastructure for and the obvious, in case you haven't been paying attention.

It's no longer about Ford versus Dodge versus Chevy. It's about the illogical forcing their hand (along with mandates) to the common man......who, at this point, is struggling to just pay the bills in many cases.

We are not prepared yet, nor is this technology ready for mainstream. Period. No matter how much they clammer and coerse.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I can't see Kex's posts…

Grow up and grow a pair! 🤦‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited June 25
    Options
    … It is a battle against what we know we don't have the infrastructure for and the obvious, in case you haven't been paying attention.

Yeah… in my neighborhood I would estimate that 50% of cars with new, temporary registration plates are EV. And yet, the grid holds up. The infrastructure holds up.

It's no longer about Ford versus Dodge versus Chevy. It's about the illogical forcing their hand (along with mandates) to the common man......who, at this point, is struggling to just pay the bills in many cases.

Nobody’s forcing my hand. I drive five ICE vehicles ranging in age from 30 years (Chevrolet K1500 Silverado) to 9 years (Silverado 2500HD).

I’m also not struggling, because I know how to do math and how to plan a budget. When I did struggle in the past, I didn’t blame it on anyone else but myself.
    Alea jacta est!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,307
    Options
    There is a little over 1 million EV's registered in California out of over 30 million registered vehicles. You still think the grid will hold up?
  • Kex
    Options
    I guess we’ll find out soon enough! 😬

It’ll probably be at least a decade or two before even half of those 30 million are electric. 🤔
    Alea jacta est!
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,038
    Options
    EV's in Wyoming make zero sense at this time......
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,576
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    … It is a battle against what we know we don't have the infrastructure for and the obvious, in case you haven't been paying attention.

Yeah… in my neighborhood I would estimate that 50% of cars with new, temporary registration plates are EV. And yet, the grid holds up. The infrastructure holds up.

The issue in California is compounded by a lot of factors.
    Gas stoves, water heaters, and furnaces are being phased out.
    Gas mowers and other equipment are going away. And a lot of
    the state's power comes from surrounding states. When things
    start to get dicey in those states, expect power exports to
    California to come under duress. And weren't rolling blackouts
    and requests to curtail power usage a common thing in summer?
    The difference between 99% usage and 101% isn't much. But
    you'll certainly know when they hit the wall.
    There are lots of other states also in the same position.
    The new push is for home solar and self storage of power.
    They don't want to have power sent to the grid. And they
    certainly will no longer pay fair price for any power from
    Homeowners. The cost of installing battery banks and
    maintenance will make solar a much longer break even
    Investment. And what will insurance companies think about
    those dangerous lithium batteries next to the house?
    The feds want 80% of power to be renewable by 2030.
    And they won't share whatever it is they're smoking.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,763
    Options
    I do agree that none of this is altruistic - it's just the next gen money grab, and now that "the players" are positioned, it sees support and legislation to force hands.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,929
    Options
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,546
    Options
    From the article: The biggest reason EV owners cited for wanting to return to owning a gas-powered vehicle was the lack of available charging infrastructure (35%);

Duh! Should have taken that into consideration when they bought.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,232
    Options
    Solar for the home will never be a break-even proposition. With power storage batteries needing to be replaced just like car batteries eventually, and the panels themselves wearing out over time. For my home, they wanted 35k for the system, installed. At 2500/year for electricity, it would take 15 years just to pay off the initial setup, only to have to replace it again, and maintain along the way. No thanks!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,576
    Options
    The problem is they can't centralize green energy and make it work.
    The plan is to create program of low interest home equity loans to
    push solar with local storage to homeowners. There is NO other way
    to meet the 80% green energy goal for 2030. At some point, it will be
    a requirement of home ownership. Battery systems should improve,
    but they don't care if you ever break even. Just keep jacking up power
    rates until people comply.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,749
    Options
    Solar for the home will never be a break-even proposition. With power storage batteries needing to be replaced just like car batteries eventually, and the panels themselves wearing out over time. For my home, they wanted 35k for the system, installed. At 2500/year for electricity, it would take 15 years just to pay off the initial setup, only to have to replace it again, and maintain along the way. No thanks!

The power company that services my area has put a cap on power buy back from solar systems in my area. New solar installations have dropped by something like 80% according to a local news site and they cited that from several local solar installers that went belly up earlier this year in the article they wrote about the "midnight moves" a couple of the solar companies pulled leaving customers high and dry.

Without the buy back incentive most aren't going for it. Since most power companies are capping buy back on existing customers and reducing their buy back benefits, many are see very small returns on their solar investment because not only are they not using power during the day when they aren't home but they are predominantly on grid power at night because solar doesn't work in the dark.

Only one guy I know with solar is reducing costs on anything locally right now and that's because he has $30K worth of battery storage that he runs off of at night. Only in the extreme heat in the summer is he tapping grid power at night to run AC systems.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,466
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    California is an example of what not to do.

..., with or about "anything"...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • msg
    Options
    ooh, I didn't even think about the weight. our asphalt roads around here get in wicked shape over time with regular vehicle traffic. sometimes it feels like you're sucked into a bobsled track and really need to put in some effort to launch out of it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 697
    Options
    Gosh. I really miss having my petro powered remote control.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 904
    Options
    We just had a planned power outage last night. 11PM-5AM For some people, that's most of the time their car would spend charging overnight.

Meanwhile I filled the Acura up right before the outage with 50L (13.2 gal) of petrol in about 5 minutes. It's a hybrid (Honda IMA system) so it manages about 4.7L/100km (50mpg) per tank. Sucks for the Tesla owners I saw driving home with me about 15 minutes before the outage 🤣

When will people realize hybrids with CVTs are better than EVs?
  • msg
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    Gosh. I really miss having my petro powered remote control.
    Did it have free flow intake and dual exhaust?
    I disabled signatures.