What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,580
    Options
    I smoked my Ifi Blue Zen tonight!! Accidentally plugged a 12v power supply into it. It calls for 5v. Smells funny now. Crappy pants.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,163
    Options
    I can smell your part, that sucks! Sorry to hear it. Happens to the best of us
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,473
    Options
    Oh, chit! Sorry to hear that bro'. That bites.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    Options
    $200 mistake. 😢
  • CH46E
    Options
    I pick up some new Monolith stand last week from a member here. Did not know he was a member here until the meet up.

Thanks to @dorian (hope I got the right one there)
    These are much better than the wood stands I was using. Now I don't worry about my dog knocking them over.

z06nquzh2rwo.jpg
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,771
    edited April 26
    Options
    I lowered the center shelf of the A/V stand.

ro3o1gjaivxk.jpg

This is because I finally pulled the trigger on a PSA Directstream Mk1...need to make it fit. Factory Refurbished from TMR, been really going back and forth with either a preamp or DAC to take this setup a few more feet down the rabbit hole.

I was debating a R2R, either the Pontus 2 or a Venus 2 but the DS with it's current pricing seems like a no brainer....have to finally get ears on one.

Was scheduled to arrive monday, but I double checked today and it has moved to Sunday... B)

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,485
    Options
    Switched from Tidal to Qobuz. Tidal no longer works with LMS/Picoreplayer or is beyond my understanding as how to make it work.
    So goodbye Tidal.
    To my delight I can confirm without a doubt that Qobuz sound quality is better.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,250
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    I pick up some new Monolith stand last week from a member here. Did not know he was a member here until the meet up.

These are much better than the wood stands I was using. Now I don't worry about my dog knocking them over.

z06nquzh2rwo.jpg

Have you mass loaded them yet? I have the same set. I filled all the legs with aquarium gravel. It was tedious, but probably took no more than an hour to do both. It helped to take the ring away from the legs (if you tap them). Just a dead thunk now. It has to help, right?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • CH46E
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    CH46E wrote: »

z06nquzh2rwo.jpg

Have you mass loaded them yet? I have the same set. I filled all the legs with aquarium gravel. It was tedious, but probably took no more than an hour to do both. It helped to take the ring away from the legs (if you tap them). Just a dead thunk now. It has to help, right?

They are filled with sand. Not sure what kind. There were filled before I picked them up. They are pretty heavy
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,674
    Options
    Beautiful table, I've always admired those.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,675
    Options
    The DP-59L is a very nice table. I also have one of the American versions.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,030
    Options
    I have a Sony PS-x75.
    It’s close to the same as a Denon DP-47f me thinks.
    Servo tonearm, full auto along with record size and speed detection.

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

Do you still use the built-in RCA cables or have you switched it to RCA jacks?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • tratliff
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »

Do you still use the built-in RCA cables or have you switched it to RCA jacks?

Mine has the original. Would like to upgrade it but I don't use the table much. Its my secondary table and not even hooked up currently.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    Options
    It'll be my secondary as well. As soon as I get my pre-amp up and running I will be hooking it up.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • tratliff
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    It'll be my secondary as well. As soon as I get my pre-amp up and running I will be hooking it up.

I like the semi automatic functionality of it. When I am not paying as close of attention as normal I don't have to worry about getting the tonearm at the end of a side.

Also, I have a MM cart on it and a MC on my other table. My phono pre has 2 inputs and I can flip back a forth.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,294
    Options
    Just picked up this hybrid amppoc880hr53uu.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Are those kt150's?
  • invalid
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2
    Options
    So what is that a little 100 watt tube amp?
    That's pretty BA!
  • invalid
    Options
    It's actually a hybrid, the kt150's are driving a mosfet output stage.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 907
    Options
    I got a Hickok 6000A tube tester

5fwnwnbinkdb.jpeg
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 118
    Options
    e11shrdzrazh.jpeg
    Picked up the matching Musical Fidelity preamp today for the 2.3’s. Just need to upgrade the cables and some of the source components now.

L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,771
    Options
    Two things here....I have been spending time with the recently acquired Directstream DAC, so far it definitely sounds better than the DAC in the Marantz SA8005. Vocals are very well reproduced, midrange is cleaner, overall it might be a keeper. Still need more time with it, need to test the I2S input.

Secondly, with that going on, I have been debating on purging some components, I have a vintage stack of Yamaha gear, CX-1000, MX-1000, and the TX-1000 tuner. I haven't turned on the amp in about 3 years, so I wanted to make sure all works.

Last time I listened to it, I was comparing it to the McCormack DNA-1 I had upgraded back in 2018....the DNA had a bit more soul so the MX was just taking a break.

Tonight, I am running the SA-8005 into the Directstream, then McCormack RLD-1 to the Yamaha.

Well.....my thoughts have changed now....lol. The MX-1000 with a nice clean signal sounds really good, and that's with no warmup time. Granted it has some age on it, I don't think it would dethrone the DNA, but I'm impressed given it's age. The previous owner didn't use it much, I think he was the original owner. Now it's a tough call, it drives the SDA's nicely.

• rainbow1919
    rainbow1919 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a big board that ends with a Line 6 Stomp, so I can set it up to run stereo amp sims, two real amps in stereo, or even one real amp and one amp sim direct to a mixer / recording interface. At home I have 3 amps to choose from: PRS Archon 50 with a 2x12" cab, a Fender DRRI, and a Vox AC15. I mostly use the Fender DRRI and Vox in stereo these days, if I'm not practicing with amp sims through my studio monitors.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,367
    Options
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    I got a Hickok 6000A tube tester

Nice!

This is what it looks like if you have to replace a well worn 9 pin socket in one. :o Some folks use socket savers in the high use sockets.

m1gv48dszc5l.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Yes socket savers are a godsend. Be sure to get a good one, too many cheap Chinese junk socket savers out there.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 679
    Options
    Keep in mind that most cartridges go through a break in period. The suspension and stylus go through micro changes as they are played. Expect the sound to improve after the first 20 to 30 hours of use. There's probably some wire break in with the coil wires, too. Like you would have with a new cable.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |