Coffee

Options
12346»

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,197
    Options
    I bought a Kaleido M1.

I was really torn a lot of different ways. Was thinking about a Sandbox but the Kaleido seemed to be better received. I really would have loved to get a Bullet but that was too much money on a first roaster.

Only a 200 gram capacity but I don’t foresee that being a hindrance for me. We go through less than a pound of coffee a week, so a few batches will get us through each week
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I haven’t heard much about the Kaleido. We’ll need pics and a review soon. The Bullet is a bit too much unless you roast for (or with) friends.
  • stangman67
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    I haven’t heard much about the Kaleido. We’ll need pics and a review soon. The Bullet is a bit too much unless you roast for (or with) friends.

Will do when I get it and clear a place for it on my workbench in my garage, I don’t have an externally vented hood so I’ll have roast in the garage with the door open

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • maxward
    Options
    That’s how I roast. Almost all roasters work best at about 75-80% of maximum capacity. I once watched the dudes at Sisters Coffee Company roast a batch on their 50-pound roaster. They said that they rarely go past 40 pounds.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    edited April 28
    Options
    🚨 Emergency Alert! 🚨

Baratza products NEVER GO ON SALE.

It's been the modus of Baratza for almost their entire existence.

Today, in a flash deal, the excellent Baratza Encore grinder is ON SALE at Amazon, for $160. This literally never happens.

If you need a proper grinder, especially for espresso, RUN! DON’T WALK!

Baratza Encore ESP Coffee Grinder

Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    edited April 28
    Options
    Fixed! 😜

(And thanks for the heads up!)
    Alea jacta est!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,216
    edited April 29
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    🚨 Emergency Alert! 🚨

Baratza products NEVER GO ON SALE.

It's been the modus of Baratza for almost their entire existence.

Today, in a flash deal, the excellent Baratza Encore grinder is ON SALE at Amazon, for $160. This literally never happens.

If you need a proper grinder, especially for espresso, RUN! DON’T WALK!

Baratza Encore ESP Coffee Grinder

I see they have re-designed the Encore with an open hopper. I'm not sure how I would like that unless they have really made it so the grounds drop straighter and don't cling at the top. If I don't give mine a good right-left slap a few times, it makes a mess when I pull out the closed hopper.
    But yes, they really never go on sale like you said. I bought mine used off eBay as a 'broken' unit. It had a loose internal wire, otherwise, nothing wrong. That was about 8 years ago. Since then, I have replaced the ring burr twice and the cone burr once, and also replaced the large internal nylon gear. Along they way, I lined the inside with dynomat type material to cut down on sound.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    Open hopper? Why in the world would they do that? That's weird.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    Options
    Actually, looking, they still have the basic Encore with a closed hopper, and it is cheaper at $150

https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B007F183LK/

Some reddit post had it on sale for $95 about 8 months ago.
  • stangman67
    edited April 30
    Options
    Got my roaster today. Cool little guy. Seems to be built pretty well and has most of the features of the bigger consumer models

nqey2toj9cv0.jpeg
    mqr4ecpev4ls.jpeg
    91v06a8za9yy.jpeg

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    Options
    built like a tank :)
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Did my first few roasts today. Have lots to learn but it looks like coffee I suppose, now to wait about a week so I can see if it’s drinkable at all

17soj5le9hl5.jpeg

• treitz3
    Options
    Looks great, man!

Of course, looks don't equate to taste...please let us know whether it was a bomb or the bomb!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    Options
    A week is overkill. A day is okay drip and four is usually plenty for espresso. Don’t store in a tightly closed glass jar. A buddy who did woke up to a shattered jar and beans all over the counter.
  • stangman67
    Options
    I’ll be using for espresso, I usually wait 5 or so days after roast date for the coffee I buy so I’ll start around there. I have appropriate paper valved bags

• billbillw
    Options
    Where is the oily sheen?
    iphtb0agulua.gif
    :D
    <jk>
    Looks great!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,505
    Options
    That's gonna take a lotta Sambvca.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    Options
    2 updates.

1. Brewed some espresso today with one of my first day roasts. It was drinkable and I’m happy about that, I wouldn’t say it was good compared to the coffee I tend to drink as I always use high quality fresh beans from small roasteries but drinkable is good enough

2. Did two roasts tonight with the goal of replicating them exactly to see how easy it is to control this Kaleido. As you can see from the graph below which has both roasts overlayed, it was incredibly easy to replicate. I’m shocked. The beans I used are Sweet Maria’s 10 speed blend

qb6g6v9ry9q8.jpeg
    l74ovsywjsap.jpeg
    6k2pporohlt8.jpeg

• treitz3
    Options
    I had forgotten another coffee I drink from time to time. Also from Sam's Club. Pablo's Pride, Guatamalan coffee. Whole bean. They haven't had it for about 6 months in these neck of the woods but I picked up a bag today.

Tom
  • billbillw
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I had forgotten another coffee I drink from time to time. Also from Sam's Club. Pablo's Pride, Guatamalan coffee. Whole bean. They haven't had it for about 6 months in these neck of the woods but I picked up a bag today.

Tom

I was using that for some time, but I actually prefer the Sam's Columbian and I only get the Pablo's if the red bag Sam's isn't available.
    Pablo's is still better than almost any whole bean that is available at the typical grocery store in my part of the country.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,090
    Options
    Neither of the Sam’s I frequent has ever had the Pablo’s…or least I haven’t seen it. Will keep an eye out for it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    Options
    It looks like this...

3xdtjl1jc7vh.png

Tom
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Do any of you guys ever drink instant?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    Options
    Oh hell no.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,011
    Options
    We use Lavazza Gran Crema 7/10 intensity whole beans in our Jura E8. The Jura is a single cup, self-grinding machine. It has a milk system as well for lattes, cappuccinos, etc. My wife used a Jura while living and visiting in Europe, and got hooked on the brand. It's a Cadillac coffee maker for sure, and a definite splurge item.

Before that, we had a Nespresso, but got tired of dealing with the pods.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • stangman67
    Options
    I bet that Jura blows the Neapresso out of the water! We have a back up Nespresso when I’m not here so my wife can make her own coffee and I have one at work as well. They are very nice for the convenience

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,011
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I bet that Jura blows the Neapresso out of the water! We have a back up Nespresso when I’m not here so my wife can make her own coffee and I have one at work as well. They are very nice for the convenience

The Nespresso was quite good, and we enjoyed it for a couple of years, but the stocking/storing/recycling of the pods became a chore. As you know, the pods are aluminum, so we did the Earth a favor, and used the pre-paid plastic bags to send our spent pods back to Nespresso for re-use.

Those pods aren't cheap, either! Buying the whole beans for the Jura is much cheaper, so it will pay for itself...over a decade or so :p The Jura is very versatile, able to adjust the amount of water, beans, pressure, and milk (if needed) in order to make every variety of cup you can imagine - Espresso, Americana, Latte, Flat White, Cappuccino, etc.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Oh hell no.

Tom

Only kidding.
    Just amazed at the level of detail in this thread.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"