Coffee

Options

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I occasionally buy coffee off ebay from Macaw Coffee Roasters. If you buy a half dozen pounds or more, the prices are outstanding. They will roast just prior to shipping to you and they get it mailed soon after receiving the order.

If you want to roast your own, they also sell the green beans. My usual order is for the Jamaican Blue Mountain. I originally got their name off a post on this website several years ago. No affil, of course, just pretty happy with their product.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Kex wrote: »
    If you are going to spend more than $15/lb of coffee, you should be grinding it fresh and making it with a high quality method.

One caveat, perhaps: with a decent espresso machine, pre-ground Illy for espresso machines will always be better IMO than freshly ground with the average grinder, or blade grinder, that the average kitchen provides.

A blade grinder should not even be considered a coffee grinder IMO.

My blade grinder does a great job. I can turn my beans into a powder fine enough for railing out!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    What he is saying is correct though. For a consistent grind (which affects the flavor profile), the grinds need to be consistent. A blade grinder cannot provide you with a consistent medium or course grind. A fine grind for an expresso? Possibly.

A conical burr grinder can do all of the above to pretty much any size grind, consistently. Plus, they do not "burn" the beans as they grind them, again, affecting the flavor.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    Props to @treitz3 for the suggestion of the Urnex stuff. I got the descaler and cleaner and ran them through my Moccamaster yesterday. Holy cow, the junk that came out. That descaler works like crazy. I don't care to admit how long it's been since I cleaned it (OK, never in the 1.5 years I've owned it). Looks like new and the coffee tastes great.

Related point... the only reason I own a Moccamaster at all is due to a coffee maker thread here on CP a couple of years ago, lol.

More props to Tom. I also purchased the Urnex descaler and cleaner and I swear my coffee tastes better this morning.

I descaled my maker sometime in the past three months, but both the descaler and cleaner resulted in dirty water. Not nasty, but enough to know a cleaning had taken place.

I also bought the cleaning “pills” for my grinder. Can’t tell much about their effectiveness, but it seems like an easy way to clean a grinder.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    If you are going to spend more than $15/lb of coffee, you should be grinding it fresh and making it with a high quality method.

One caveat, perhaps: with a decent espresso machine, pre-ground Illy for espresso machines will always be better IMO than freshly ground with the average grinder, or blade grinder, that the average kitchen provides.

A blade grinder should not even be considered a coffee grinder IMO.

My blade grinder does a great job. I can turn my beans into a powder fine enough for railing out!
    My Man!!! THAT'S, what I'm talking about!!

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    edited April 14
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    A blade grinder cannot provide you with a consistent medium or course grind. A fine grind for an expresso? Possibly.

Nope. Doesn’t work for espresso either.

You would think that it might if you just grind long enough, but you’ll never get a good 25 second shot with proper crema from a blade grinder, unless your espresso machine is using devilry and subterfuge in the form of a silicone disc in the bottom of the portafilter that artificially creates crema — and also creates a soppy mess in the portafilter, instead of a lovely hard, dry puck. 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Early evening coffee, cheers.

pu0j958y0bw7.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited April 15
    Options

Nope. Doesn’t work for espresso either.

...unless your espresso machine is using devilry and subterfuge in the form of a silicone disc in the bottom of the portafilter that artificially creates crema — and also creates a soppy mess in the portafilter, instead of a lovely hard, dry puck. 😉

I used to have a Saeco Aroma Espresso Machine and if memory serves, it had the devilry you describe. It made decent espresso, but I never cared for it much. Cleanup, yep, it was a mess. I got it for a song because it had a bad thermal fuse. Easy fix for someone who can solder. It mostly sat on my counter until I sold it on FB.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    My favorite on-the-fly station....

ytzn3oavb6sm.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,481
    Options
    Is that Royal Farms?
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    Options
    We need to add a "shrug" button cuz I have no idea. It is a local On Cue station.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Real men drink yerba mate. Coffee's for pansies and chicks.

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Why are there no donuts?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    We buy ours from a local roster/coffee shop. The ones we tend to buy are single origin fair trade freshly roasted from South America. We use a Cuisinart automatic pour over. When we want an espresso/latte/Americano we use our Breville.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    xh3rdzdyqdjn.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I’m toying with the idea of going all in with a hand grinder, and a lever action espresso machine… 😱

Somebody protect me from this madness! 🤪
    Alea jacta est!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,194
    Options
    I want to say I hate you all.

Just drunkish purchased a coffee roaster. Wish me luck
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, you are one step ahead of me. The book came in last week or the week before and I haven't even had a chance to read a page or flip through it. DOH!

Good for you.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    Options
    My wife just rolled her eyes. Pretty typical of my impulsive purchases

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Just drunkish purchased a…

Wait. So I’m not the only one who does this?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    Options
    No. Many of my audio purchases happen this way. I have been on a streak lately....just hoping that streak doesn't end...

This is, after sometimes months of research and taking notes beforehand though. The adult drink just gives me the liquid courage to make the plunge without the wife knowing and asking for forgiveness later.

So far? I haven't had to ask for forgiveness. I know already that I am lucky, but I'll take it!

Tom
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    No. Many of my audio purchases happen this way. I have been on a streak lately....just hoping that streak doesn't end...

This is, after sometimes months of research and taking notes beforehand though. The adult drink just gives me the liquid courage to make the plunge without the wife knowing and asking for forgiveness later.

So far? I haven't had to ask for forgiveness. I know already that I am lucky, but I'll take it!

Tom

Tom,
    You are not on an island...or maybe you are, but at least you are not alone.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • xschop
    Options
    The worst coffee ever is that Aldi Texas crud. Not even good enough for wound dressing.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I tried the Aldi's coffee once. Took a sip, poured it out and threw the entire bag out. To use the word, "disgusting" is actually giving it a compliment.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    Makes you wonder how they sell it and why they keep stocking it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder how they sell it and why they keep stocking it

People must be using it as compost.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    Coffee does make good fertilizer...
  • stangman67
    Options
    Bought 15lbs of green coffee today. Man oh man what have I gotten myself into

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Which roaster, @stangman67 ? You can’t have too much basic transportation or too many hobbies!