What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    @bcwsrt I often travel for work. Sometimes for multiple weeks. I love that feeling of "enjoying the music" when I get home. I usually need a day of spinning records to get my head right after a long trip. Your post speaks to me!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    I thought there was a possibility it could just as easily sound like crap to me since my auditory memory had been totally erased and reset in that amount of time. I was pleasantly surprised.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I did a couple of things. I have a difficult room. I moved my speakers further apart. Even though the placement looks wonky in the photo the diagram shows that it's correct for my listening position. Also noticeable in the first pic are some GIK panels I placed in front of the fireplace behind the rack. The results are good. Much better soundstage and imaging with the speakers at nearly an equilateral triangle. The GIK panels have knocked down some of the reverb and high frequency energy in the room. I am considering more panels now. Also, I have placed an order for a REL T/9x Red subwoofer as my room tends to attenuate the bass.

This is the new setup:

d1xmvl09r2jq.jpg

Diagram:

drnm3a1fm96q.jpg

Old setup:

ainth2ylxiel.jpg

SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    Options
    nice woofers in those speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    LOVE the Sansui tuner !! I tried and tried to buy one, it just didn't happen for me.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Damn fireplace. I'm curious what the GIK folks recommend for your space? The open entryway on the left should be to your benefit to reduce reflections, but the glass table and window behind your sweet spot are likely problematic for the high frequency issues you mentioned.

Definitely a difficult room, but you are on it with the GIK and REL additions. Keep us posted! That T/9x Red is a beauty!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    edited February 15
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    I'm curious what the GIK folks recommend for your space? The open entryway on the left should be to your benefit to reduce reflections, but the glass table and window behind your sweet spot are likely problematic for the high frequency issues you mentioned.

The GIK advice I got was not stellar. They recommended I buy 12 24x48 inch 244 panels and distribute about the room. I sent them that diagram above plus many photos which when studied would clearly indicate that a dozen of those panels is not an option. I also told them I only had 3" max available behind the rack where 244's would not fit. So I will piecemeal it and do the best I can.

I may move the glass table but the hippos are cast bronze and very heavy so I've procrastinated.

Any recommendations on room measurement apps/mics?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    LOVE the Sansui tuner !! I tried and tried to buy one, it just didn't happen for me.

That TU-9900 tuner is a special piece. I bought it in August, 2011 from Club Polk member @starkiller. It came with original box and manual. In 2018 I had it thoroughly upgraded by Joseph Chow. It's hooked up to a directional antenna up in the attic. Sounds very good!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    That is similar to my experience with them, which was why I wondered. They recommended about 2x the panels that I could ever find room for. They make a good product, but I adopted the same approach as you ... piecemeal it ... which has worked out fine for me. I have a combination of 244s on the side walls and 242s on the ceiling.

I've not measured my room with any accuracy, but the Decibel X iPhone app (which has a spectrum analyzer) has been helpful in identifying obvious areas for opportunity, as well as results from the changes I've made.

Nice to see some discussion on room treatments!

Brian

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,011
    edited February 26
    Options
    Coda 06x phono preamp:
    hwzii0ejyf9b.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    What cartridge are you running with it? Wow! Nice phono stage!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Thanks! I got it at a steal. Based on the internal load settings that were in place in this unit, I'm not sure the previous owner was using it correctly, so maybe he was frustrated with the sound, and just decided to dump it. That's pretty sad, if true.

Last night, the cartridge I was using is basically a Nagaoka MP-200. Technically, it is a Well Tempered Lab TLC MM cartridge, but it is really just a re-branded Nagaoka. Eventually, I'll incorporate a nicer MC cartridge from my stable of carts.

I've only listened via headphones so far, but really liked what I was hearing! I just wanted to test functionality, and not adulterate my setup while demoing the Snake River amp cord B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    Coda, IIRC made some fantastic gear for Legacy Audio I used to salivate over.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Coda also made the electronics for Innersound and Sanders. The latter did spec a few things differently than Coda. For example, Innersound's ESL amp is basically the Coda Continuum Stage amp, but with different binding posts and balanced input impedance. Coda's balanced input impedance ran at 1Kohms, which is unusually low, vice 100K for the Innersound version.

I have the Innersound phono preamp, which is essentially the Coda FET-03p with a different faceplate. Looks similar to the innards of the FET-06X above. Very nice performer!
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    Options
    Are there dip switches to adjust it?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Yes, Tom. In my pic, on the left side, the red strip boxes with white rocker switches (one is partially hidden) are where capacitance and impedance are set. You can even see the legend/guide in gold lettering for the settings on the inner side of the case/chassis. There are also a few slide switches for gain, balanced/unbalanced.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    Options
    Oh, my. I completely missed that. Hard to see on the phone when you don't blow up the photo.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,357
    edited February 27
    Options
    I had the Innersound Phono stage made by Coda. Mine had a noise issue. Easy fix, they missed soldering the ground to the PCB.

EDIT: Coda makes excellent gear. Some folks were bothered by the fact they rebadged gear for others, like InnerSound.

When I had Innersound ESL's, I had the Innersound/Coda panel amp and the bass amp with the active crossover in it. To make room for components, they removed two pairs of the big filtering caps. I fixed that too.

wggod67ilmbf.jpg
    kbd2kvlxo4y5.jpg

Active xover bass amp same design as panel amp, just with active xover. They removed four large filter caps to make room for the active components.

dtesrsaqjg01.jpg
    diliwcld96ga.jpg

Panel amp, it had 8 filter caps.

8fcsh108cbd8.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    Options
    Love the color
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    v9zjhbs1i8ft.png
    Brian

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,126
    edited March 6
    Options
    @Clipdat… how do you like the Michi preamp?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    edited March 6
    Options
    The Michi X3 is an integrated amplifier which has a pre-out, so I'm basically just using it as a preamp currently.

I don't have first hand experience with the Michi P5 preamp, but my experience with the X3 has been very positive, so much so that I would not hesitate to recommend any of the Michi components. They are a great value for the level of performance they provide, imo.

(FWIW I don't use the X3's built in DAC. I believe the quality of the DAC is the same between the X3 and P5. Like most integrateds/preamps with built-in DACs, the measurements aren't quite as good as what you would likely get with a standalone unit.)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 6
    Options
    Today I crossed into the Blue... my new to me Mcintosh 2300. This is the first preamp I have tried that pushes beyond that performance wall I kept running into with my L800's. This preamp is very affordable on the used market and is absolutely stunning. More to come later as this has only been running for 30 minutes, but already is blowing my mind.

jdhfqyifo63w.jpeg
    ap8t65c8zvby.jpeg
    tj4vr6v40dni.jpeg
    zq2wb4a1jzdm.jpeg
    xj0mmd18re66.jpeg
    c6rstqhk3ein.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    Options
    Once you go Mac you don't go back!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Once you go Mac you don't go back!

You might be right about that. This is easily the best sound I have ever heard in my room. Pass Labs is not even close.

• bcwsrt
    Options
    o5c4h5oh5pu9.pngepaq4bp9i1po.pngkor1jh54k7dx.png
    Brian

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Mac just gets better and better.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    The Mac just gets better and better.

It's nice when things work out like that. Is this your first Mcintosh piece?