What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• OldCrow
    OldCrow Posts: 31
    Options
    Cat-proofed my grills.djklnx3ep2kg.png
    Current system: SDA-SRS, Carver Crimson 275 amp, 10 Octave LP-1R preamp
    Previous system: SDA-1, Carver M-1.5t amp, Adcom GFP-1A preamp
    I listen better than I used to, but I don't hear as well.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    After a considerable amount of research, I ordered a Degritter from Music Direct yesterday morning. Arrived via UPS today about 12:30. Dang, I know I'm only a couple hours away from them, but that's some quick-asp service!

This Bob James Trio 180G "hi-res audiophile" double LP that I picked up brand new at AXPONA in April was really giving me some fits on side 3 with a LOT of static and pops, so it was the perfect one to try it out on, first. Holy S--- is about all I can say! The before and after difference from just one "medium" cycle was pretty remarkable. We'll see what happens on subsequent records ...

I was between this and the Kirmuss Audio ultrasonic unit which is a fraction of the price of the Degritter, but the one-touch, set it and forget it aspect of the Degritter won out versus the labor-intensive Kirmuss process. Also saw some comments on here from people I trust that gave me pause on the Kirmuss machine.

I have a decent LP collection from my younger days and would like to accumulate more new and used records as the urge strikes. Looking forward to getting the most out of my existing collection and hoping this will encourage some additional vinyl purchases!

5yqf3phowdfj.jpeg
    1e8vicny90d1.jpeg
    g5iip68pyvse.jpeg
    vnqah3jaj798.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    First off, congratulations! Yes, cleaning a record makes one hell of a difference, fo'sho'!

How loud is it when it is doing it's thang??

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    I meant to comment on that ... it is very quiet, except for the drying cycle, which is still on the default 3 minutes. I have it behind my listening area and in a nook off the side and until the drying cycle kicks on, I can listen to a stream or my previously cleaned album without much distraction at all. Up until that drying cycle, it is quieter than the dehumidifier I have in about the same location on the other side of the room, which I habitually just turn off when I enter the room so it doesn't take away from my enjoyment in case it kicks on.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I know nothing about this unit. I take it that it is an ultrasonic cleaner? From the photos, it sure does look like one...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Yes, sir, it is. Four transducers, two on each side. Works at 120-125kHz, which is higher than others. Higher frequency is supposed to get deeper into the grooves and also be safer.

Brian

• bcwsrt
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Another great feature that separates the Degritter from its competition is the water temp monitoring where it adds a three minute cooling cycle when the water temp gets above 95F so the heat, which is a byproduct of the ultrasonic process, doesn’t hurt your records.

vow5i3jy1ksn.jpeg
    Brian

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,197
    Options
    Thant thing is gorgeous, color me record cleaner jealous! I have a VPI 16.5 and while it’s a fine unit, something fully automatic like that would be a great QOL upgrade
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • newbie308
    Options
    Is any wiping or additional drying necessary after the cleaning process? Does it require proprietary cleaning fluid? How often do you need to exchange the cleaning fluid?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    The drying time and fan speed can be adjusted, if needed, but the record is/should be totally dry at the end of the cycle and ready to play.

Degritter has their own cleaning fluid that is shipped with the unit, but the manual states you can use your own cleaning fluid, though it cautions against "extreme pH" (too alkaline or too acidic) ones or ones that result in too much foaming on the record, which could affect the various sensors.

The tank is supposed to be changed every 1-2 weeks or after 30 cycles (I should be there after today lol) to prevent bacterial growth. Holds about 1/2 gallon of distilled water. Filter needs to be cleaned or replaced every 50 cycles.

Brian

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how is it on say.....brass?
    Asking for a friend....
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    For that, you would need one of those other generic ones (that people do still use for records)! I don't think you'd get more than a .22 LR through the slot on this one. Maybe you could use your washing machine?

Brian

• pitdogg2
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Maybe you could use your washing machine?

Do not tempt me :D:D:D

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Added some isolation to my CD player and speakers...

x7ffmypxldn8.jpg
    wscsmt6yjklt.jpg
    m29djm71wgwd.jpg

Hockey pucks.....not just for ice

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • treitz3
    Options
    Any difference in sound, good or bad?

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,133
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

x7ffmypxldn8.jpg
    wscsmt6yjklt.jpg
    m29djm71wgwd.jpg

Hockey pucks.....not just for ice

Nice… now all you need is a cd player.😂
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited November 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Any difference in sound, good or bad?

Tom

Nothing initially. The speakers are still breaking in. I have noticed more detail and a bigger sound in the room since day one on the Focals.

Not much bass at first however after continuous play, the bass started to become a bit bloated. I raised the spikes up and it cleaned it up.

The pucks do bring the tweeters up closer to ear level with the spikes fully extended.

Right now I'm in my office, living room is on the other side of one of the side walls, and "please Mr Jailer" sang by Imelda May with Jeff Beck on guitar and I can fell the thump of the bass.....

Umm, I need to retract my first statement.....

I had a couple of friends over last night that helped me with placing the pucks under the speakers. We partied last night in the adjacent dining room to the set up. Music was great as usual all night, but...I just took some time to sit in front of the speakers for the first time after the pucks, listening to Little Wing (Hendrix) and White room (Cream/Clapton)....yeah, there's a difference.

The imaging is pretty spot on, the vocals appear to be coming from the center channel and the depth of the soundstage is deeper. When I closed my eyes, the sound seemed like it was coming from behind the display and several feet in front of it. The instruments blended across the room from side to side.........note, the sweet spot makes a huge difference.....but that's no front page news now, is it!?
    Post edited by Geoff4rfc on
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I've used hockey pucks under my center channel for years. Did I notice a difference not really.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,133
    Options
    ezoasx7daghm.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options

True dat; I've been thinking about upgrading my Emo erc 3 as well. I was looking at Marantz players just yesterday. Then common sense prevailed as I remembered I haven't spun a silver disc since I started streaming this spring. An SA-K1 Ruby sure would look nice in the rack even if it's main purpose would be a dust collector

• Geoff4rfc
    Options

True dat; I've been thinking about upgrading my Emo erc 3 as well. I was looking at Marantz players just yesterday. Then common sense prevailed as I remembered I haven't spun a silver disc since I started streaming this spring. An SA-K1 Ruby sure would look nice in the rack even if it's main purpose would be a dust collector

The ERC3 does a very decent job, sure, it doesn't cost thousands of $$ but plays well with others none the less. I've also looked around, McIntosh, Marantz, to name a couple that caught my eye and I may upgrade one of these days, but, for now I'm enjoying what I have, besides, the ERC has some AudioQuest loving as well as to the mains, McKenzie's down the line.

h83972qfep63.png
    wngytduo6aaa.jpg

All haters welcome to give a listen, I'll even throw in a cold beer to wash it down with B)

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Added a Sony UBP-X800M2 today. Wanted to serve as a 4k/SACD player. Also does the Dolby Vision and HDR stuff, not sure whether I’ll get into that, or not.

This is the most substantial affordable (under $300) 4k player I can think of with a very complete feature set. For a modern 4k player, this has nice heft and has a reinforced internal frame. Not the usual flimsy throwaway plasticky device for this kind of money. It even has rubber feet to damp vibrations! Sad that is something to get excited about, but that’s how crappy most modern players are.

This player will do 2ch/Surround SACD, and even DVD-A via HDMI. 😲

Spun some Police Hits and Italian Classical works SACDs and they sounded great. Very smooth, natural, and detailed w/excellent soundstaging/imaging.

Will do some video watching and report back. But so far I like what I’m hearing. Got on sale at BB for $229 on sale ($100 discount!).

pclxg5gpvx06.jpeg

jp54sftx9wmm.jpeg

9hgs5mz9c07z.jpeg

pca65e8rgha9.jpeg
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • bcwsrt
    edited November 2023
    Options
    The Degritter ^^^ told me to clean its filter today (hit 50 cycles). This is with about five records going through twice to see if any further improvement could be had, otherwise all cycles were the first time the record had seen the Degritter.

The manual says you can clean and reuse the filters if they’re “not too dirty.” This one went in the trash. I don’t think I’ll attempt that at least until everything’s been through it at least once.

Nasty.

rv2fh5dgral5.jpeg
    Brian

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    pull out the old marantz to play with. Damn that is heavy.

daxu14ul25gj.jpeg

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,094
    Options
    Due to a combination of circumstances, we're at the moment (and for a short time) "hosting" a pair of Canton model Plus S two-way "minispeakers" (in the 1970s/80s sense of the term). I happened to have a bit of time this morning to listen to them and I must say they sound very fine indeed.
    53367807445_f5e409eb33_b.jpg
    53367360096_193f4a5db2_b.jpg

• pitdogg2
    Options
    They made some good stuff Doc.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    Agreed; those 2 way Snells are great sounding little speakers. I had a pair here for a while (also in white) years ago. They competed favorably with the ADS 300's and 400's I also had at the same time.
  • treitz3
    Options
    They look very similar to the ol' Rat Shack ones from BITD. Metal housing?

Tom
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Due to a combination of circumstances, we're at the moment (and for a short time) "hosting" a pair of Canton model Plus S two-way "minispeakers" (in the 1970s/80s sense of the term). I happened to have a bit of time this morning to listen to them and I must say they sound very fine indeed.
    53367807445_f5e409eb33_b.jpg
    53367360096_193f4a5db2_b.jpg

May I come over to your house, and listen, to stuff????

• pitdogg2
    Options
    You'll need a plane trip, a jeep and a Mule for the final mile....