What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• @Emlyn what are you running for a turntable? Also curious if you are using the balanced or the RCA outputs on the JC3?
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    edited December 2023
    @Emlyn what are you running for a turntable? Also curious if you are using the balanced or the RCA outputs on the JC3?

I'm currently running an EAT C-Sharp turntable with the Ortofon Quintet Black moving coil cartridge that came with it. I use a pair of Kimber Silver Streak XLR cables (hybrid silver/copper) for the outputs on the JC3+ to a JC2 preamp. I had been using high output moving coil cartridges for a long time so moving to a lower output moving coil cartridge meant more gain required from the phono preamp and therefore potentially more audible noise. I knew that going in, but was surprised at how much additional noise there was. Some but not all of the noise was attributed to not having the stereo system on a separate electrical circuit back to the panel. There were a couple of dimmer light switches on the circuit before. The separate 20 amp circuit was my best audio upgrade! B)

I was on the fence about getting a Rega table (PL8 or PL10 model) when I got the EAT model. May revisit that some day.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,630
    edited December 2023
    What are you using for an amp? My eyes are bad and I couldn't make it out in the photo. I've got a JC5 tucked away that powers mine. They really come alive with some power.

It is powered by a Wyred4Sound ST500 which is rated 550wpc into 4 ohms, 250 into 8. It seems to be a good match. Very dynamic!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    49cprcjruekr.jpg

Gonna try these out straight from the laptop later today. I ordered a couple of albums from FIM to test out. We'll see....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • It would be interesting to know if that Jitterbug FMJ is only good for RF noise or if it can also remove 8kHz USB packet noise. iPurifier3 only reduced but didn't come close to eliminating it for me with my apparently noisy Lenovo desktop PC.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    Well, after futzing around with it for about an hour and a half? I gave up on it. I couldn't seem to get any sound out of the USB. I installed a ASIO driver but Windows Media Player seems to override it. I hate computers sometimes.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • foobar won't override ASIO or Wasapi.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    I'll make a separate thread about this, so we don't derail this one. I have tried everything I know how to do. Still no sound. I'll deal with this later.

Time to simply listen.

Tom
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Does your usb cable have the seperate power line on it? If so, that could be why the fmj isn't working. I have mine on my Innuos in both usb holes.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    Dual conduit, not seperate.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Spoke with Brian at ANK Audio. No card or driver needed with Windows. I have a configuration issue within the laptop. Scott (msg) will call me tomorrow to try and figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the wonderful sounds of Spyro Gyra. They have been around for a while but today is the first I have ever heard of them. Great stuff!

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    edited December 2023
    Spinning disks on this dingy day today. I bought a pile of albums at a garage sale last year and am slowly getting around to checking them out. Several are new(ish).

cpfhr14rk67f.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822
    Nice! That's about how it was here yesterday. Great day to spend listening. I only came up from the basement to eat!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Nice! That's about how it was here yesterday. Great day to spend listening. I only came up from the basement to eat!

Hope this means you have a bathroom in the basement. 😂
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • bcwsrt
    I do! Guess I need a kitchen, also!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274

Well you do have a bery nice "buffet" table down there.
    😉
  • bcwsrt
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Well you do have a bery nice "buffet" table down there.
    😉

That’s a (questionably-lit) workbench, for you! 😁

Brian

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,122
    Not today, but I have a First Watt Aleph J power amp in transit. It was a DIY build, pure Class A, only 25WPC, but I'm curious as to how it will sound. Wish me luck in incorporating this unit into my house (wife doesn't know yet), and stay tuned for listening impressions.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    Pictures and review within 30 minutes of receipt please
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Not today, but I have a First Watt Aleph J power amp in transit. It was a DIY build, pure Class A, only 25WPC, but I'm curious as to how it will sound. Wish me luck in incorporating this unit into my house (wife doesn't know yet), and stay tuned for listening impressions.

I thought I was doing the right thing and let my wife know I had a package arriving, but then, of course she was gone the day it came. 💩

Brian

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited December 2023
    That's why holding items and Fedex office has it's advantages.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    Welcome back. You have inspired me to end tonight's listening session with some vinyl. May you have many years of listening enjoyment from your new turntable!

Brian

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    Welcome back. You have inspired me to end tonight's listening session with some vinyl. May you have many years of listening enjoyment from your new turntable!

I intend to! Been listening as much as possible to get the 20 hours of break-in I need on the needle.

Also had some quality time with my Dad while we listened to my new box set after setting up the turntable. Probably the first time he's done that in decades. It was pretty sweet.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Permanently moved the Onkyo amp and CD player out of the living room. This 3255 chip amp can hold its own running the XS-8TLs...

WAF is a no-brainer too....

4mb4tf5y6fec.jpg

qklrou9tqyxm.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    I dig it looks great
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    I guess it's what I didn't do . . .

Tuesday I received a couple of rather expensive valves (expensive to me at least). Both damaged and improperly represented.

Both Riccardo Kron 2017 Anniversary Edition KR 5U4G recties.

One had internal structure plates that were bent 20% off vertical and 1of2 bottom halo getters were touching the glass-to-metal envelope.
    The other tube appeared fine, internally. But the guide pin/keyway was missing

I didn't even try to plug n play. No way Jose!

Seller played dumb and issued a refund last night. I shipped said valves back this afternoon
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    New style of the ol' Bob Carver coffee can amp is what it looks like.

The amp that started it all for Bob.

Tom
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,122
    xschop wrote: »
    4mb4tf5y6fec.jpg

qklrou9tqyxm.jpg
    Ahhh, so the top IS the volume knob...kind of like my Alexa (a/k/a, $200 timer). Nice!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Thanks y'all. Been thoroughly enjoying the new toy.

I had to look up the Carver coffee can amp...
    Funny, I never knew.

I also put my phone inside and tried calling it. I would not ring after many attempts, so the Farady effect is superb.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.