The Grande Utopia Project

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    A fully rebuilt grande utopia!

5uo9t5unqias.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Man, talk about tight tolerances. Great job Trey! That looks fantastic.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited January 30
    Options
    Thanks Tom! Was a fun and challenging project!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Reposting stock for reference

jscpuoxhbrpf.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Loved following along on this crossover upgrade since the start.

Your mechanical engineering skills while working within these extremely tight tolerances are truly impressive. Congratulations on a job well done!
  • VR3
    Options
    Thanks Drew! 🚀

Need up is to fabricate a means of using those spikes haha
  • VR3
    Options
    Everything burning in nicely! Drilled end tapped the steel plates for the spikes

https://youtu.be/oPq1-cu7Jn4?feature=shared

nnuxjivjwgr2.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Bro! You've got gorgeous flooring in your garage, I'm insanely jealous!!
  • treitz3
    Options
    That's the VR3 Audio lab..... 😀

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That's the Muppet Labs..... 😀

Tom

Fixed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    Thankfully my daughter has shown little interest in sesame street. She is absolutely in love with batman however
  • VR3
    Options
    One is officially on spikes. A difficult one man job with 400 pounds speakers I tell you

430852m7mov6.jpg
    2p767vxqms47.jpg
    6fi3n7d87bf4.jpg
    uzp1s5yqg9ft.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    GREAT accomplishment. :o

Where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

Think it through first. Then slow and steady. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    Options
    Thanks Tony!

I completed the second one today! Definitely required some creativity. I leaned the speaker against the wall, removed the front castors. Installed the front spikes. Used mini jack stands and elevated the rear of the speaker. Removed the back castors. Installed rear spikes and done!

This required a super long 24" extension bit, a right angle attachment and a flex attachment and a lot of torque. My drill smelled like burnt electronics towards the end!

o06pxbugc7ev.jpg
    50fdz1ms3067.jpg
    9k9imxt6np21.jpg
    9fuqoevzlsl6.jpg

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Just seeing two adults standing beside those speakers puts it all into perspective… unless you’re both under 5’ tall or something…
    Alea jacta est!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    Trey, it's also cool that his visit coincided with your 18th birthday! :p
  • VR3
    edited February 24
    Options
    Gosh I wish I was still 18 lol, I am slowly creeping up on 40

The grandes are right at 6ft. I am 5 11. After the mods and spikes, right at 430 pounds each
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Slowly creeping in on 40- i feel ya there. I turned 35 last week and oh man, 40 is close. But 40 is the new 30 right?
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    Options
    That's funny we are the same age. I turned 35 late January.

Time goes by fast especially with little rugrats running around
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Dude we had our first rugrat this past year. Time is flying by, it’s crazy! Anyway, not to derail too much. Again- crazy awesome project. I’m in awe of your skills
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    edited February 24
    Options
    Thank you :-D

Congrats man! Once they hit 2 it just gets more and more fun as time goes on! (0 to 2 is fun but 2 is just better!)

No fear... this is just an on-going thread for my shenanigans with the Grandes! I still need to change the MTM wiring and dynamat the midrange baskets!
  • treitz3
    Options
    What are you changing the wiring too?

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    The MTM array is still the old clear jacketed focal wiring. I still need to change it to the duelund DCA 10 but its like 400 in wire and close to 15 hours of labor or more to change it... and the rig sounds really good right now... so...... later!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Slowly creeping in on 40- i feel ya there. I turned 35 last week and oh man, 40 is close. But 40 is the new 30 right?

Both of you are going on my ignore list…. 🤣🤣🤣
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options

Don't fret. Ol' ginger will be turning grey, then white soon enough...

You know you have been on a forum too long to see this happen....DOH!

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options

Shut it old man......

😎😳
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Chilluns; Enjoy your youth while you can as it'll be gone before you know it. My oldest daughter just left here for her trip back home to NH. She's 46.

Back on topic; those are incredible looking speakers and no doubt they sound as great as they look. I had no idea they were that big. Exceptionally well done sir in bringing home end game speakers this early in the game.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    On one of the Facebook groups I follow for crossover mods, one of the members from europe was in the area for business and he swung by to listen!

Was a great time and heard alot of great music!

His thoughts on the setup below

"I was in North Carolina for business this week and I was able to combine it with a visit to Vr3. It was my first opportunity to meet someone from our community and it was great fun. This masterpiece that Vr3 masterfully designed and build is simply amazing.
    The sound is bigger than life, crystal clear, and simply as it should be. A dream set-up, and Vr3 smartly designed the acoustics in the room, with some mobile panels that make listening in his listening chair simply perfect.
    Most impressive was when we played the track Deeper by Pete Belasco, which includes earth quake triggering bass. With Vr3’ Grande Utopias that can reach as deep as 16 hertz, you can count the vibrations per seconds. And the woofer isn’t visibly moving!
    I hope to be back to listen to more tracks on this dream audio set-up.
    Thanks for your hospitality Vr3!

At one point he said, that songs soundstage was 20 meters wide! He also had a non audiophile friend with him and he was having a blast as well.

Always fun to meet fellow audiophiles!

c8jzrqarlp96.jpg

Very cool project, even better when it brings like minded folks together!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    You need to hear some master tapes played on those bad boys. I am serious!