Venting… is it too much to ask a manufacturer?

Options

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    edited February 6
    Options
    Next rant:

Define what “rich” even means. It means different things to different people.

Are you a “one percenter”?

Great, so out of 100 people, you might be the wealthiest, but in a town of 100,000, there are 999 as wealthy as you, or wealthier. It doesn’t make you unique, and you probably don’t even feel “rich”.

What da fook happened to enjoying people living the American Dream?
    Post edited by Kex on
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited February 6
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Water?

That's a luxury.

We had it tough. In my day, we used to get mason jars of hydrogen atoms and mix them with oxygen atoms one molecule at a time.
    That's rich, that is. ;):D
    Don't make me trot out Four Yorkshiremen.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    edited February 6
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Water?

That's a luxury.

We had it tough. In my day, we used to get mason jars of hydrogen atoms and mix them with oxygen atoms one molecule at a time.

Now that’s some “Humble” “Rich” ranting right there!!

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    edited February 6
    Options
    Kex wrote: »

Are you a “one percenter”?

Great, so out of 100 people, you might be the wealthiest, but in a town of 100,000, there are 9,999 as wealthy as you, or wealthier.

Might want to check your math.

I’m not trying to rip Joey. I’m just trying to provide a thoughtful, respectful opinion. I thought I was very clear in showing my respect and appreciation for his chosen profession. I have no doubt that he earns every dollar that he makes. He has certainly put in the time and effort to enjoy life’s luxuries.

I guess to me it’s more about knowing your audience. There are several members that I know personally who I feel very confident have a significant bank account, but you’d never know it from anything they ever post.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Kex
    edited February 6
    Options
  • Kex
    edited February 6
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Might want to check your math…

You were right about the math, but the point stands. 😉

But why even mention it? Why is it even worth mentioning? Do those who complain about “humble bragging” want the so-called “braggers” to stop posting about their somewhat extravagant purchases? Would that improve the forum?

Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    It doesn’t matter either way, there’s no way to obtain the headphone as it stands so back to square one. I purchase a stax x9000 and it arrived last week. I’m awaiting my move on the amp for it.

Maybe the he1 will be available again someday, who knows.

When I say the difference between a crazy audiophile and a rich man. There’s a big difference.

I’m the crazy hobbyist who puts more than his fair share of % into the hobby. The rich could care less and these things are an afterthought.

I’ll give you an example:
    I was trying to purchase an he1 from a wealthy Australian. He himself was trying to buy a custom marbled he1 from an even richer Australian.

As I was dealing with the wealthy Australian, I required numerous data evidence of his identity. In the end, he said, here’s my car - there was like 3 Ferrari. He says - you’d think I’d be trying to scam you off a 45,000$ purchase (used price of the he1) when I drive these cars?

Of course I came back with well if you’re so rich, then let’s compromise to $40,000 which is what I wanted.

Anyway, just to show, there’s the actual rich and then there’s the crazy hobbyist.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    WTF is this new angst about “humble bragging”?! 🤦‍♂️

It’s not hard to figure out what a doctor might make, and frankly, given what they have to pay for their education and how difficult their job can be, it’s not actually all that much and probably underpaid in some cases.

Is this some new form of cancel culture? 🤷‍♂️

Everyone makes choices in life. Nobody can afford everything. Some talk about their expensive speaker purchases. Some talk about expensive watches. Others mention how they “lost” $50,000 in a day in their portfolio (which makes it fairly obvious to within 5% what size their portfolio actually might be). And then there are those who “humble brag” about expensive(ish) car purchases.

Who da fook cares?! 🤔

At the end of the day, does it benefit the forum to see people mention their high end — or even ridiculous — purchases? Yes, it does. It creates excitement and interest in somewhat unattainable things that somebody has decided is important to them.

As for Verb, accusing him of humble bragging seems like a stretch. He has clearly worked very hard to get where he was before he retired. It’s not as if he was bragging about buying a yacht or a mansion somewhere.

Most of us discuss gear we’re lusting after or purchasing. the difference is, some people (ahem) always lead with the price tag, but most of us do not.

Case in point - in my thread (below) I mention the new surround receiver and in-ceiling speakers I’m going to purchase, but nowhere did I mention the price. Why? Because the price tag is NOT why I’m making the purchase! I’m making the purchase because it’s what I want - not because of how much it costs. That, and I’m not trying to impress anyone. If someone here wants to know what I’m going to spend, they can most certainly look it up - but I don’t feel the need to throw the price out there…

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199846/going-from-7-1-surround-to-9-1-help#latest
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Kex
    Options
    Thanks for that contribution, daddyjt, and I do love your theater project. You are a lucky man and you deserve it.

I’ll just point out that I have never once mentioned a price on anything I talk about. In fact, I talk about fairly modest stuff frequently, like my 18 y/o car. And yet, I probably get accused of “bragging” or “humble bragging” more than anyone else on this forum. Is that my problem, or is that the log in the eye of the perceiver? 🤷‍♂️

Verb? I don’t ever remember him bragging about the price of anything.

Joey didn’t brag about the price of his headset either. Somebody looked it up, and the rest, as they say, is history.

At the end of the day, does it matter?

Verb added to this forum. He has chosen to not participate further, it would seem. At least for now.

Joey also adds to this forum. Apparently he may have ruffled some feathers along the way.

I don’t care whether I add to this forum or not. I’ll contribute here on my own terms for as long as I choose to do so, and nobody will ever change that, no matter how hard they try.

I appreciate 99% of the people here, maybe even 100%.

There are some who DO talk about prices however. Repeatedly even. But they shall remain nameless at this time. Because it just doesn’t matter, and they have their own reasons for needing to do so. And that’s fine too. Nobody’s perfect (except me, of course).

Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited February 7
    Options
    Price and value are (EDIT can be) two very different things.
    Look at the rate of depreciation for modern "high end" loudspeakers, e.g.
    Then look at the price over time of, e.g., 2 inch JBL compression drivers, Altec multicell horns, or RCA electrodynamic drivers or LC-1A coaxes.
    ... and there's a reason besides what I like to call the cult of the arcane. The quality of the above-mentioned components (design, construction, and performance) are iconic.

Fast fashion doesn't just apply to clothing. :#
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    In defense of @Joey_V, he made no mention of price in his original post. The price wasn't mentioned until later in someone else's post regarding his endeavor to purchase the unobtainable holy grail of headphones.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Just catching up on the thread. Sorry it didn't work out Joey.

Keep posting @Joey_V
    I always enjoy them. I also enjoy Stereophile.

Living the dream!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    So... way back in November of 2023, Joey posts this in a thread he started about the HE-1
    Joey_V wrote: »
    If you check the link, it says unavailable

Then he starts this thread to complain about not getting any love from the manufacturer for a product he already knew was discontinued... What am I missing here?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    It sounded like sennheiser was trying to sell to him though
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Kex
    Options
    VR3 is correct. He was in contact with them through a some kind of special purchase team that was sourcing an available headset, presumably. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    So... way back in November of 2023, Joey posts this in a thread he started about the HE-1
    If you check the link, it says unavailable

Then he starts this thread to complain about not getting any love from the manufacturer for a product he already knew was discontinued... What am I missing here?

It wasn’t discontinued. It was not offered publicly anymore. Sennheiser told me they would sell it to me but to make me comfortable, they would answer any and all question. In an effort to justify an expensive purchase, I did my due diligence. That took approx 2 months because of very long pauses in responses and multiple excuses about being out of pocket. In the end, when I was ready to put the deposit, sennheiser sales director said “sorry, we are missing some parts - we cannot build you one.”
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    Can't this thread die? Joey has moved on...nothing more to see...
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Joey_V
    Options

VR3 wrote: »

Correct. When I scheduled the demo at canjam Dallas 2023, the online registration form asked

“Are you interested in buying?”

I said no. I am not spending that money on headphones.

Then I heard it and I said, ok now I understand.

Why they would ask for your interest in purchasing one upon signing up to demo? Beats me. They wouldn’t ask if it was truly not for sale.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    In defense of @Joey_V, he made no mention of price in his original post. The price wasn't mentioned until later in someone else's post regarding his endeavor to purchase the unobtainable holy grail of headphones.
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Just catching up on the thread. Sorry it didn't work out Joey.

Keep posting @Joey_V
    I always enjoy them. I also enjoy Stereophile.

Living the dream!

Thx

It’s all in good fun.

The enjoyment of the hobby, atleast until we lose our hearing or get too old for a stereo room.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    WTF is this new angst about “humble bragging”?! 🤦‍♂️

It’s not hard to figure out what a doctor might make, and frankly, given what they have to pay for their education and how difficult their job can be, it’s not actually all that much and probably underpaid in some cases.

Is this some new form of cancel culture? 🤷‍♂️

Everyone makes choices in life. Nobody can afford everything. Some talk about their expensive speaker purchases. Some talk about expensive watches. Others mention how they “lost” $50,000 in a day in their portfolio (which makes it fairly obvious to within 5% what size their portfolio actually might be). And then there are those who “humble brag” about expensive(ish) car purchases.

Who da fook cares?! 🤔

At the end of the day, does it benefit the forum to see people mention their high end — or even ridiculous — purchases? Yes, it does. It creates excitement and interest in somewhat unattainable things that somebody has decided is important to them.

As for Verb, accusing him of humble bragging seems like a stretch. He has clearly worked very hard to get where he was before he retired. It’s not as if he was bragging about buying a yacht or a mansion somewhere.

Most of us discuss gear we’re lusting after or purchasing. the difference is, some people (ahem) always lead with the price tag, but most of us do not.

Case in point - in my thread (below) I mention the new surround receiver and in-ceiling speakers I’m going to purchase, but nowhere did I mention the price. Why? Because the price tag is NOT why I’m making the purchase! I’m making the purchase because it’s what I want - not because of how much it costs. That, and I’m not trying to impress anyone. If someone here wants to know what I’m going to spend, they can most certainly look it up - but I don’t feel the need to throw the price out there…

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199846/going-from-7-1-surround-to-9-1-help#latest

Price was not initially mentioned. Someone looked it up.

And it doesn’t matter what the price is. That’s my business. My post was to illuminate and discuss my journey towards what I thought (and still think) as my ultimate stereo experience.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Can't this thread die? Joey has moved on...nothing more to see...

We posted at about the same time.

Yeah, I thought the thread had died, but apparently it resurrected. It’s like salt on wounds.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Threads like this never truly die.

Just the random bot bump about Epson salt for wounds will keep this alive for decades
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    A mention of black paint should help find this little gem as well...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Correct. When I scheduled the demo at canjam Dallas 2023, the online registration form asked

“Are you interested in buying?”

I said no. I am not spending that money on headphones.

Then I heard it and I said, ok now I understand.

Why they would ask for your interest in purchasing one upon signing up to demo? Beats me. They wouldn’t ask if it was truly not for sale.

Honestly, I’d chalk this up to big corporate again. Someone who likely has very little experience with any of their products probably just plugged in an existing form from their CRM. Drop it on the site, route the responses to the appropriate sales rep, and on to the next micro site update.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    I'm reminded of the insight peovided by the esteemed Chinese beaver.
    This video was forwarded to me by a friend who knew I am very fluent in Mandarin
    (what with my extensive diplomacy in Asian affairs)
    and could easily provide an accurate translation .

More words of wisdom that may or may not apply in this thread, who am I to say ?
    🤔

https://youtube.com/shorts/dWg3h5TgtVk?si=LQQEIwOCA_yPzkZu

Sal Palooza
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Next rant:

Define what “rich” even means. It means different things to different people.

If you fly to Vegas in your own jet and think loosing a hundred grand in an afternoon was fun.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Or if you own your single wide trailer free and clear.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    I'm reminded of the insight....

More words of wisdom that may or may not apply in this thread, who am I to say ?
    🤔

https://youtube.com/shorts/dWg3h5TgtVk?si=LQQEIwOCA_yPzkZu

Hahaha. Funny stuff.