Venting… is it too much to ask a manufacturer?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,522
Is it too much to ask a manufacturer to be more responsive??

I have been talking to sennheiser since early November after Dallas Canjam. In that month, what would’ve taken me 2 days to discuss via email with any normal person reselling a high end piece on audiogon, has taken me about a two months with Sennheiser.

This has been my attempt to purchase the Sennheiser HE1… they first directed me to a sennheiser special acquisition team. That took about 2 weeks. Then every email response takes literally 48 to 72 hours. At first it seemed interesting… maybe even elitist. But now it is just downright hair rippingly annoying.

How is it that it is so difficult to just sell a product? I can’t imagine a line out the door buying these HE1.

I am literally this close to giving up and just buying used. Worst presale experience ever.

Just venting
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Call Cary
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    😂😂😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😁😆😄😂😁🤣😆😄😁😂🤣

Only you Joey!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,941
    Options
    According to their website, the HE1 is no longer available… 🤷‍♂️

Sennheiser Audiophile Listening

Alea jacta est!
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    After seeing the price tag of that thing on your other thread… if it were me I’d be taking my money elsewhere out of principle. Also, if you have any problems, is the response time going to be the same? F that.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Kex wrote: »

That's for the general public. Not Joey. They probably had a 737 full of engineers and equipment loaded up to show up at his door for the sale. But then...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-737-max-9-alaska-airlines-door-what-to-know/
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Joey_V
    edited January 9
    Options
    Kex wrote: »

It’s available
    You have to know who to contact or atleast be sent in that direction from a sennheiser rep. They virtually handed me over to an he1 rep to handle questions regarding the piece.
    CottageChz wrote: »
    After seeing the price tag of that thing on your other thread… if it were me I’d be taking my money elsewhere out of principle. Also, if you have any problems, is the response time going to be the same? F that.

Lifetime warranty… but yeah my last email was point blank - do I get white glove service post sale or is it like how it is presale? Cuz this ain’t right.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask a manufacturer to be more responsive??

This has been my attempt to purchase the Sennheiser HE1… they first directed me to a sennheiser special acquisition team. That took about 2 weeks. Then every email response takes literally 48 to 72 hours. At first it seemed interesting… maybe even elitist. But now it is just downright hair rippingly annoying.

Hate to say it, but this is the reality of big corporate vs more boutique hifi manufacturers. They probably make more profit in a week from BT headphones at Best Buy or HD 600/650s at Guitar Center then they will make from you buying the HE1. Products like that are built more as an advertisement then they are a profit center, because people will buy HD series headphones from "the guys the make the pinnacle of headphones." It's a show pony more than it is a product.

Wiki says they have over 2000 employees. I'm willing to bet the 2-3 engineers and builders of the HE1 are busy being placed back on projects cranking out some $200 headphone design. And they probably have 1 sales guy. He's probably also the sales guy that handles the press, marketing, and sales of the HD 800 series. And as much as he probably makes a nice profit off the HE1, it likely is a drop in the bucket compared to getting HD800s into a new retailer.

They are a dealer sales company. The last thing they actually want is to deal with a customer directly. That's what Best Buy, Sweetwater, Amazon, etc are for.

If you do acquire these, I would have a discussion about authorized repair centers before you commit. I'm willing to bet that if you have an issue, they are going to have you drop it off at "Bob's computers" in some industrial park. Same place they'd have someone take a soundbar or an HD600 for warrantee work.

I saw this exact thing when I worked at Harman. In the "pro" division they fully dedicated to "pro-sumer" products. They would rather sell 3 million JBL 305p sets ($300) than a single pair of the Everest DD67000 ($80K).
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,941
    Options
    Hard to say, Joey, but according to their annual report, sales are on fire 🔥.

Other than a dip during 2020, sales grew by 21% in 2021 and 26% in 2022, recording revenue of €470 million (over $500 million). 2023 figures are not known. Maybe they’re just overwhelmed with orders? 🤷‍♂️

Compare that with Masimo which has guided for non-medical revenue just under $800M, which will be a decrease Y/Y of 4-6%.

The only comparison I can make are my wife’s saddlery purchases from France. These are hand made saddles for competition horses built to order after individual, on site measurements of both the rider and the horse. The quality is superb, and so is the service, for the lifetime of the equipment, which is usually similar to the lifetime of the horse before it moves to the used market. They have representatives here in the 🇺🇸 permanently, and nobody in competition or qualifying for the Olympic team would use them if they were not responsive, but that has an obvious cost, spread over the number of buyers in the region of each representative.

So yeah… you can vent. Not sure what I’d do in your shoes. If the quality is truly unique, then yes, I’d probably wait it out. You wouldn’t even need all the fingers on one hand to list the similar level craftsmanship competitors of the French saddleries.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,384
    Options
    If you do acquire these, I would have a discussion about authorized repair centers before you commit.

No doubt! I would be very leery of purchasing something anything from a company that doesn't even have service before the sale. That's a very strong indicator (to me) of what one would expect for service after the sale.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,528
    Options
    Joey has a wire few can reach. :D
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    Maybe they want the $10K deposit first before answering questions. Germans can be sticklers for rules. :)

Or it could just be holiday season. They don't seem to be eager to sell though, which may just be because it's a miniscule part of their overall business and they have enough orders to keep the two or three assembly guys busy.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    I guess you'll just have to put that $70k in your kid's college fund instead. BORRRRING!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,079
    Options
    Stuff like you are trying to buy would be like Polk having a mad scientist in engineering who was cranking out 150k 1.2tl reference speakers, 1 pair a year.

Super low priority and if you want them you can wait
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options
    Maybe they don’t want their headphones relegated to repeats of “Baby Shark”…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 10
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    God bless you! I can't even fathom that kind of expense! @Joey_V If you ever need your couch cleaned, let me know! I'll be happy to do it if I can keep any loose change I find...
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Very frustrating, man. I'd walk away myself.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Got a response
    Seems like I might not be able to pick the serial
    I wanted it to be 523
    Booo
    They did say lifetime warranty and they would provide demonstration units if they ever have to take in the unit for service
    No warranty on a preowned
  • Joey_V
    Options
    So irritated just now.

After committing to a deposit, sennheiser just emailed me. They cannot guarantee a delivery date on the HE1.

Extremely annoying…
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    So irritated just now.

After committing to a deposit, sennheiser just emailed me. They cannot guarantee a delivery date on the HE1.

Extremely annoying…

Told you, more of an advertisement than a product.
    I'm very curious, did they try to suggest a different product in their lineup?
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    So irritated just now.

Extremely annoying…
    You are buying what is essentially a bespoke, one-off product. Did you expect them to drop everything and cater to you? If you order a Ferrari or Rolls Royce one-off, they are going to tell you the very same thing. “Thank you for your order. Once we have everything in place to complete your special request, you will be further updated.”

• Joey_V
    edited January 17
    Options
    So irritated just now.

Extremely annoying…
    You are buying what is essentially a bespoke, one-off product. Did you expect them to drop everything and cater to you? If you order a Ferrari or Rolls Royce one-off, they are going to tell you the very same thing. “Thank you for your order. Once we have everything in place to complete your special request, you will be further updated.”

Not drop everything. But to have service commensurate to the price and product offered.

I expect a team with a close pulse with the manufacturing side so as to not take me through a two and a half month email exchange only to tell me, “oops - we are so sorry, but we cannot guarantee delivery so we cannot fulfill the order you just placed. We just found out we have some component availability issues.”
  • Joey_V
    Options
    So irritated just now.

Extremely annoying…

Told you, more of an advertisement than a product.
    I'm very curious, did they try to suggest a different product in their lineup?

I’m probably going to go with the Stax X9000 while I wait. I’m just very disappointed in what should be a good experience.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Truly bizarro world.

Sent he1 team an email, to notify me when it’s back in production.

Auto response:
    “We contracted covid at 2024 CES, pardon any delay in replies.”
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    Options
    Time to move on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Time to move on.

Easier said than done, I really really liked the sound. Maybe a used one will pop up in the meantime